Gallant vs. Adaman
First Page 2 3
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-20 07:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a question I've had for a while and was wondering if anyone could put some light on the subject. I wear the Adaman Cuirass on my PLD, but often times in cities I will pass obvious end-game geared PLDs wearing the AF body piece along side Homam and Blood gear. Now I have looked at them stat for stat and I cannot see any reason to wear AF once Adaman is available. Is there something I'm missing?
 Phoenix.Miemo
Server: Phoenix
user: Miemo
By Phoenix.Miemo 2009-03-20 07:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Silly thing called HP instead of MP.

That and Purple PLD makes baby jesus cry :)

*edit*
Gallant also give you a slightly stronger flash~
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-20 08:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Idle: Gallant
Enmity: Adaman Cuirass

If you want to be perfect. PLDs tend to steer away from Adaman Cuirass for a variety of reasons:

a. negative stigma. A stupid reason because it's a perfectly fine body but it's there.
b. Adaman Cuirass costs money, AF body does not.
c. Most people think AF body looks nicer.

There is nothing wrong with the body used properly though, it's just the negative stigma.
 Hades.Dizzmal
Server: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-03-20 08:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Either or is fine. Just don't use Adaman Sabatons!
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-20 08:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gallant > Adaman, no question.

Most endgame Paladins will choose the Gallant simply because it has HP. On high resist mobs (HNMs, Jailers, Kirin), the extra divine magic skill will also allow you to more successfully land Flash, one of your primary hate tools.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-20 08:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You won't catch me dead in Adaman Sabatons. Worry not.
 Garuda.Crayne
Server: Garuda
user: Crayne
By Garuda.Crayne 2009-03-20 09:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:

Most endgame Paladins will choose the Gallant simply because it has HP. On high resist mobs (HNMs, Jailers, Kirin), the extra divine magic skill will also allow you to more successfully land Flash, one of your primary hate tools.

Last I checked, casting something...even if it's resisted...still generates the enmity (enmity is reduced if the ammount is based on the damage, I think....but Flash has no damage).

And yes...if you wear adaman sabatons at all, God kills a kitten. Personally, /NIN I full-time homam (HP +31, MP +31 (the MP is nice to an elvaan :3) and swap in AF+1 feet on icih...but blood-tanking? I'll wear my Gallant Leggings +1 over anything any day.

If you're gonna wear something on your feet for enmity (swap it in for flash unless your healers hate people who blink and can't use BlinkMeNot), go with either Valor or Iron Ram. I'd use Iron Ram cuz a. it's not random chance to get and b. it also doubles as an MDB set piece.

I'll be wearing my AF Body endgame til I find a Valor Surcoat. In xp, I wear a Haubergeon...sue me, lol.
 Unicorn.Sedres
Server: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2009-03-20 10:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Gallant Surcoat > Adaman Cuirass.

That's not to say all the Adaman stuff is trash, the head and legs are pretty good if you can't get the Iron Ram pieces.

But yeah, more HP is never a bad thing.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-20 10:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Crayne said:
Sovereign said:

Last I checked, casting something...even if it's resisted...still generates the enmity (enmity is reduced if the ammount is based on the damage, I think....but Flash has no damage).

Maybe I didnt really get my point across by choice of wording... Flash isnt all about it's initial enmity. An unresisted cast can greatly increase your survival rate, buying you time for other actions and reducing damage taken over time (and consequently, enmity that would have been lost when taking said damage).

One of the most common examples I can give is when /NIN tanking. Some mobs simply attack too quickly to easily cast Utsusemi: Ichi, and poor timing can get you consistently interrupted. By casting Flash just before casting Utsusemi: Ichi, you can frequently buy yourself the time needed to successfully finish casting. However, this obviously won't work if Flash gets resisted.

On top of that, in long-duration HNM battles, unresisted Flashes can literally save you thousands of points worth of damage taken. In return, you retain enmity by not taking damage. It's also MP your alliance saves by not having to cure you as often, plus it buys your mages time to focus on other things.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-20 11:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
Crayne said:
Sovereign said:

Maybe I didnt really get my point across by choice of wording... Flash isnt all about it's initial enmity. An unresisted cast can greatly increase your survival rate, buying you time for other actions and reducing damage taken over time (and consequently, enmity that would have been lost when taking said damage).

One of the most common examples I can give is when /NIN tanking. Some mobs simply attack too quickly to easily cast Utsusemi: Ichi, and poor timing can get you consistently interrupted. By casting Flash just before casting Utsusemi: Ichi, you can frequently buy yourself the time needed to successfully finish casting. However, this obviously won't work if Flash gets resisted.

On top of that, in long-duration HNM battles, unresisted Flashes can literally save you thousands of points worth of damage taken. In return, you retain enmity by not taking damage. It's also MP your alliance saves by not having to cure you as often, plus it buys your mages time to focus on other things.

All thruths ^

And posted in a non jackass way :D thumbs up for Sov.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-20 11:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
And posted in a non jackass way :D thumbs up for Sov.

lol I'm trying
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 13:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this on my flash drive; it's directly from FFXIclopedia.org Paladin forums; I forget who wrote it, but whoever did, thanks!!!

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/User:Tsakiki/Equipment#Paladin_Gear

Adaman Cuirass set VS Gallant Armor set - by piece comparison.

Rule: player level is 73 in which both set is equipable.

Head:
Gallant Coronet
[Head] All Races
DEF: 24 HP +12 MND +3
Enhances "Cover" effect
Enmity +2
Lv. 56 PLD

Adaman Barbuta
[Head] All Races
DEF: 28 HP +12 MP +12 VIT +3
Evasion -3 Enmity +2
Lv. 73 WAR / PLD

Evaluation:
At LV73 I'll go Adaman every time. Being able to cover someone from magic is nice but I don't do that so much to merit choosing to wear AF over it fulltime. Perhaps macro it before using Cover maybe. For VIT +3 and 12 more MP, I don't mind being without MND +3 and a bit of Evasion penalty.

Someone mention Aegishjelmr, lovely piece of kit but like AF+1 it is much harder to obtain than these two pieces, one is can be purchase, other, by default (with a bit of quest here and there). There are few who have such privilege but if you got it, use it.

Body:
Gallant Surcoat
[Body] All Races
DEF: 47 HP +20 VIT +4
Divine Magic Skill +5
Enmity +2
Lv. 60 PLD

Adaman Curiass
[Body] All Races
DEF: 52 MP +8 VIT +4 MND +4
Enmity +3
Lv. 73 WAR / PLD

Evaluation:
With Adaman you gain DEF +5 MND +4, MP +8 and Enmity +1 and sacrifice 20 HP and Divine Magic Skill +5 doing so... not as straight forward as above but Adaman comes victorious in the end. The more DEF help reduce damage overtime and added MND helps with Cure potency which edge out in the long run. Any PLD can do without Divine Magic Skill +5 as it only affect Flash. I do not notice any different with my Flash wearing it or not and it's not in every battle that we cast Holy... not to mention better "Anger Management" with added Enmity.

Hand:
Gallant Gauntlets
(Hands) All Races
DEF: 16 HP +11 DEX +3 Resist Vs. Light +10 Enmity +2
Lv. 54 PLD

Adaman Gauntlets
[Hands] All Races
DEF: 20 MP +10 VIT +3 AGI -1
INT -1 Enmity +2
Lv. 73 WAR / PLD

Evaluation:
Again, another HP VS MP issue but added DEF do help with the slight HP loss and -1.5 less Accuracy from the loss of DEX +3 but then you are considerably tougher with VIT +3 as well the already mentioned DEF increase. I'm not going to waste my breath to discuss over AGI and INT loss because the difference is nominal.

Legs:
Gallant Breeches
[Legs] All Races
DEF: 34 HP +15 AGI +3
Enhancing Magic Skill +5
Enmity +2
Lv. 58 PLD

Adaman Cuisses
[Legs] All Races
DEF: 41 VIT +3 INT -3 Evasion -1
Enmity +3
Lv. 73 WAR / PLD

Evaluation:
Again, on one hand we get much tougher with added DEF +7, VIT +3 and Enmity +1 for control. On other hand, we lost HP -15 AGI -3 INT -3 Evasion -1 and Enhance Magic skill by 5 for it. The loss list seems taller this time but since Enhance Magic Skill and INT isn't critical for PLD, we'll just ignore it. HP is counter with being tougher as I mentioned before. What's matter is that the loss of 3 AGI and 1 Evasion.

AGI has a direct impact on a character's evasion, shield and parry. Not to mention range attact accuracy. That's 2.5 lost evasion, 1.5 loss in shield skill and 1.5 loss in parry skill. Pretty tough call. I'd say it's situational and subjective.

Feet:
Gallant Leggings
[Feet] All Races
DEF: 14 HP +15 CHR +5
Shield Skill +10
Enhances "Holy Circle" effect
Lv. 52 PLD

Adaman Sabatons
[Feet] All Races
DEF: 17 HP +15 VIT +1 AGI -1 Enmity +1
Lv. 73 WAR / PLD

Evaluation:
Ahhh finally the feet. Nothing that Adaman Sabatons offer could beat Shield Skill +10. Because I got HQ version of Adaman I do occassionally put them on, but they are only situational when hate control is more important (with Enmity +2) (“put into voke macro”)
================================
Okay, personal note here:
I personally macro in Gallant Coronet and Gallant Breeches on /RDM when I use my Stoneskin and Phalanx macros, respectively. And Adaman Cuirass offers the best MND on body armor for PLD/RDM. Surcoat and Gauntlets aren't really that "necessary" when you get better gear, but they're always there when you need them, i.e, Level Sync.

Also, Iron Ram Sallet Set has overall better Enmity, if you're looking into a good enmity set. Adaman has decent Enmity mixed with VIT and a good amount of MP+, so it never hurts to have more than one set, depending on the situation.

Hope this helped, /salute~
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-20 13:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems that evaluation of adaman vs gallant body does not take into consideration that less enm is lost the higher your overall HP is.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 13:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
It seems that evaluation of adaman vs gallant body does not take into consideration that less enm is lost the higher youroverall HP is.

I actually have never heard of this O_O
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-20 13:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It was in some of the last enm testing that Kaeoko did before the great bannings.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 13:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm, wait, you're saying that the less hate you lose, the higher your overall HP is? How do you lose less hate?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-20 14:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ex. in completely fictional units

Say you have 1550/1800 hp and you get hit for 250 damage you lose 20 hate units
If you have 1550/1600 hp and you get hit for 250 damage you lose 25 hate units

The higher your overall hp is the less enm you lose when you take damage.
 Bahamut.Ashua
user: Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2009-03-20 14:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ares's Cuirass> Kaiser/koenigCuirass> Avalon breastplate> Gallant surcoat +1> Gallant surcoat> Valor surcoat +1> Valor surcoat> Gem/Adaman cuirass

(For primary body piece)

I personally swap in enmity and haste gear as needed for ja and ma macros; but as far as standing is concerned, thats pretty much the order you want to be in.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-20 14:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashua said:
Ares's Cuirass> Kaiser/koenigCuirass> Avalon breastplate> Gallant surcoat +1> Gallant surcoat> Valor surcoat +1> Valor surcoat> Gem/Adaman cuirass

Hmmm.

Also situational ***is situational.

And you forgot Hydra Haubert
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-20 14:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because someone posted it on wiki doesnt make it correct...

Standard party mechanics eliminate any "advantage" an Adaman Curiass might give you. look at the statistical difference on both pieces:

+5 DEF - Negligible in the grand scheme of things... you're probably going to get Protect V from the WHM anyway.

+4 MND - Useless, since the need to maximize cure potency is diminished when there's probably more than one healer in your party. Should really only be tossing cures around to build hate, not save your life. Keeping you alive is the WHM's job.

+8 MP - Really? So you can what, Cure 1 yourself? Demand a Refresh from the RDM that is no doubt in your tank party.

+1 Enmity - It's somewhat difficult to dispute enmity in any slot... more is always better. But +/- one enmity won't make such a drastic difference to even be noticed. Your melee should be SATA'ing you anyway.

As for the Gallant Surcoat...

+20 HP - Maximum HP cannot be given to you by any other player in your alliance.

+5 Divine skill - Again, no one in your alliance can make you better at Divine Magic... skill only comes through experience and gear.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-20 14:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
Just because someone posted it on wiki doesnt make it correct...

Standard party mechanics eliminate any "advantage" an Adaman Curiass might give you. look at the statistical difference on both pieces:

+5 DEF - Negligible in the grand scheme of things... you're probably going to get Protect V from the WHM anyway.

+4 MND - Useless, since the need to maximize cure potency is diminished when there's probably more than one healer in your party. Should really only be tossing cures around to build hate, not save your life. Keeping you alive is the WHM's job.

+8 MP - Really? So you can what, Cure 1 yourself? Demand a Refresh from the RDM that is no doubt in your tank party.

+1 Enmity - It's somewhat difficult to dispute enmity in any slot... more is always better. But +/- one enmity won't make such a drastic difference to even be noticed. Your melee should be SATA'ing you anyway.

As for the Gallant Surcoat...

+20 HP - Maximum HP cannot be given to you by any other player in your alliance.

+5 Divine skill - Again, no one in your alliance can make you better at Divine Magic... skill only comes through experience and gear.

Mantra O.O

Response intended soley to annoy Sov.
 Ramuh.Sidi
Server: Ramuh
user: Sidi
By Ramuh.Sidi 2009-03-20 14:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, like everything its completely and utterly situational.

If your a taru, you'd most certainly be wanting gallant gear, whereas if you were a galka, maybe you'd prefer the adaman for the mp (if any've you remember seeing a galka pld... their mp is enough to make you cry XD... no offense, I find it hilarious and they're good players, its jsut like... 1/4th or less than what I have... I could never deal with that XD)

If your deciding to go /rdm, or in a group where you want more mp (or probably for me a merit, if your not using a DD/hybrid build), then the mp might have more of a play...

If your doing an HNM fight, you'll be wanting more hp (unless your that galka with loads've hp, and wants some more mp to do something with)-- as well as aforementioned skill and whatnot...

It depends on what you majority do... not everyone is in the endgame scene, so for more general stuff (parties, soloing, fooling around, some random nms w/ friends... whatever), Adaman is just as good, and in some cases better... besides, if your going to be doing most've this stuff anyways, not like you don't already have gallant, just put that on when you feel you need it...

I personally love my mp, and definitely enjoy getting more, so I used adaman (until spike in adaman ores so sold for a nice profit since it was only a miniscule enhancement for me... and somewhat ugly XD... now I use askar/hauby unless big alliance tanking)

edit: I said for smaller things, because in the short run, HP doesn't play that much of a role for smaller fights... for big fights and stuff yeah its great, yeah you loose less enmity the more you have... but who's bothered or seen a pld tag on all their hp gear for a 1 min fight? o.O;; for those cases, fights're too fast to loose enmity that much, so its really rather negligable: if ya want the mp, go all for it, won't make too much a diff
 Kujata.Timdied
Server: Kujata
user: Timdied
By Kujata.Timdied 2009-03-20 14:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Smartest thing to do is get Valor and full-time it. No blueberry PLD and surely no lvl58 AF. Easiest way out
 Ramuh.Sidi
Server: Ramuh
user: Sidi
By Ramuh.Sidi 2009-03-20 14:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Apart from the agony of getting it >.>;
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-20 14:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Sovereign said:

Mantra O.O

Response intended soley to annoy Sov.

You cheeky *** =P LMAO
 Kujata.Timdied
Server: Kujata
user: Timdied
By Kujata.Timdied 2009-03-20 14:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

They drop freely on Kujata =P 2nd in my LS to get one (granted i've only had it a month)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-20 15:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashua said:

When you are engaged, hitting and can make use of your TP:

Ares Cuirass ~ Haubergeon (situationally equal with Ares Cuirass, always better than the following though) > Avalon Breastplate > Hydra Haubert > Koenig Cuirass > etc.

When you are not engaged or cannot safely build TP:

Ares Cuirass > Vermillion Cloak > Koenig Cuirass > etc.

Macro in enmity bodies for enmity actions etc.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-20 15:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Any > AF simply because inventory issues. 5 inv beats + 20 hp any day!
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-20 16:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:

You should be carrying AF feet with you at all times anyway.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-20 16:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Zanno said:

You should be carrying AF feet with you at all times anyway.

still, if the HP is so important, put 2 merits on HP and equip adaman for def enmity whatever stuff. I know its ugly as hell but you cant merit def and only 4 enmity
First Page 2 3