Forum » FFXI » General » Gallant vs. Adaman
Gallant vs. Adaman
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-04-17 15:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to the OP subject for a min, IR probably can replace any piece of Adaman you might want to use, but the issue of the Body is still there since IR body doesn't exist yet.

Gallant is fine, so is Adaman (although a Purple Pally does sorta not look right).
 Carbuncle.Kaydence
Server: Carbuncle
user: Maliika
By Carbuncle.Kaydence 2009-04-17 15:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
Back to the OP subject for a min, IR probably can replace any piece of Adaman you might want to use, but the issue of the Body is still there since IR body doesn't exist yet.

Gallant is fine, so is Adaman (although a Purple Pally does sorta not look right).

Kaydence said:

If you're using the body still grab some ppl and go do the new addon for nuevo <.<;

:D
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-04-17 18:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaster said:
Lethewaters said:

In the AU areas AS ATANK I was making 2-3k exp in an hour and half the time w/o a refresher.

More of a confirmation than a debunk, but thanks!

Extra character, in there, was suppose to be 23k :P Now confirm that.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-17 19:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't believe you.

Merit parties with BRD COR RDM 3x DD get around that range... Now let's say it's

BRD COR RDM TANK 2x DD

3 members at best are contributing significant damage there...
 Carbuncle.Kaydence
Server: Carbuncle
user: Maliika
By Carbuncle.Kaydence 2009-04-17 22:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
I don't believe you.

Merit parties with BRD COR RDM 3x DD get around that range... Now let's say it's

BRD COR RDM TANK 2x DD

3 members at best are contributing significant damage there...

I've done BRDx2 RDM DDx2 and low lvl leech for 20k+ p/hr....so I find it believable lol just need 2 -good- DD, and not ppl that half-*** it :D
 Odin.Aramina
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-04-18 09:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it just depends on the setup and the people. I believe that it's possible, but it's not something that I've done myself as a PLD.

I have Barded a party that was over the 20k mark with a PLD before, but we had some seriously heavy DD in that party that might have been making up the difference (One was an E.Body, Ridill WAR and other was an Algol DRK).

The PLD didn't really try to "tank" so much as to basically take hate off the puller and help cover cures on the DDs. It was fun and it worked, which are more important than e-peen for me.
 Garuda.Fullen
Server: Garuda
user: fullen
By Garuda.Fullen 2009-04-18 09:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaydence said:
imo there's no need for adaman gear unless you want to look like a tall glass of grape drink.

If you're using the body still grab some ppl and go do the new addon for nuevo <.<;

^this

it costs $10, every noob has one now but with emnity and fast cast it's the best PLD body thats easily available~
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 08:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

adaman isn't that bad, but there are better pieces for endgame, the hp + is irrelevant, honestly hp gear is outdated, we don't blood tank ***now.

pld/nin with hauby+1 and atonement owns, just need high hit rate and some haste, macro in enmity for stuff like /ja cures flash, and atonement, and shield skill when casting ichi.

i hate when i see plds in ares body, it can be put to good use but most people full time it like retards, if you got 2 brds in pt have 1 double march and the other ballad/madrigal and ares becomes pimp, your getting nice hit rate and the refresh.

1 brd in pt and your hit rate will be gimped, the refresh isn't worth the hit rate loss at all.

but as for which is better on gallant vs adaman, answer is gallant but better option would be to get a hauby and macro in adaman for hate spells and /ja, if you don't have atonement yet, go and get it its not hard.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-19 09:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:
adaman isn't that bad, but there are better pieces for endgame, the hp + is irrelevant, honestly hp gear is outdated, we don't blood tank ***now.

pld/nin with hauby+1 and atonement owns, just need high hit rate and some haste, macro in enmity for stuff like /ja cures flash, and atonement, and shield skill when casting ichi.

i hate when i see plds in ares body, it can be put to good use but most people full time it like retards, if you got 2 brds in pt have 1 double march and the other ballad/madrigal and ares becomes pimp, your getting nice hit rate and the refresh.

1 brd in pt and your hit rate will be gimped, the refresh isn't worth the hit rate loss at all.

but as for which is better on gallant vs adaman, answer is gallant but better option would be to get a hauby and macro in adaman for hate spells and /ja, if you don't have atonement yet, go and get it its not hard.

Your PLD is 7...

Also, good PLDs still bring HP gear for cure kits~
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-19 10:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't call Atonement easy to get...

You have to:

A) Find a Nyzul static.
B) Actually get the sword to drop. ( still haven't seen a Cor or Blu weapon drop =/ )
C) Climb enough floors so breaking the latent isn't tough (will take ages on a low floor)

It may not be hard, but it is sure as hell time consuming, especially if a person is just starting Nyzul Isle, very easy to get *** floors to completely make one day's runs useless.
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2009-04-19 10:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:

Your PLD is 7...

^This!

If i had to choose now and thinking about how easy PCMs Are Neauvo!! Takes a day to get if you rly work on it!
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-19 10:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:

You have to:

A) Find a Nyzul static.
B) Actually get the sword to drop. ( still haven't seen a Cor or Blu weapon drop =/ )
C) Climb enough floors so breaking the latent isn't tough (will take ages on a low floor)

It may not be hard, but it is sure as hell time consuming, especially if a person is just starting Nyzul Isle, very easy to get *** floors to completely make one day's runs useless.

I got my Wightslayer on floor #1 xD

I'm still climbing...

still... climbing...

only 6600 more WSP to go... or something...
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-19 10:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

***!
I've seen like every other weapon besides the ones my jobs can use. Hell I'll even take the Whm one. ><; ANYTHING SE ANYTHING
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-19 11:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I got it off Tom *** Tat. It's my reward for being friends with the Mandragoras.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 11:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:

Your PLD is 7...

my pld lvl means nothing lol, dont need to lvl job to know how it works, i agree with hp for cure kits tho, but i doubt many plds macro in gallant for it, gigant mantle and ***probably.

b4 i started to get drk to 75 i already knew every piece of gear i needed just cos i read a lot of formulas and ***when im bored, was out damaging everything cept rly pimp sams 60-75, getting to 75 didn't increase knowledge on job when i already knew about it.

Haseyo said:

You have to:

A) Find a Nyzul static.

weapon drop is 100% if u use disc as pld on floor 100 so B isn't an issue

for A u can get to 100 without a static as long as u dont let noobs join

couple friends of mine went 1-100 in like a month.

its the same kinda thing for most ***on this game, can either wait a few years for someone to ask u if u want to do it or ask friends and shout for people so u can do it straight away.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-19 11:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

On floor 100...
And bringing a Pld to Nyzul sounds pretty lol to me. ><;
Your friends must be some bombs *** players to hit Floor 100 in a month.
Your average Nyzul group can't accomplish that.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-04-19 11:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Slamm said:

Your PLD is 7...

HP gear isn't outdated, it's still very important not just for cure kits but the higher hp you have the less enmity lost when taking hits, so don't discard it.

Bodies PLD should aim to get are Neauvo (fast cast + enmity) for /nin tanking, Avalon Breastplate for Magic defense build and either Koenig or Ares for /war tanking.

Wearing a hauby over Ares is ok for DD but where PLD is DDing they will probably be /war and using berserk so Ares provides a huge defense bonus while giving good DD stats, make up the acc in other slots, Ares is better imo.

Between Gallant and Adaman though, Adaman gives more enmity+ and will reduce the dmg you take slightly so wearing it is perfectly ok if you don't have the better option above, Gallant can be used to macro in the hp or... save you cash on buying Adaman, very few ppl moan at a 75 PLD in Gallant body because there is such little difference between the two.

If you can get Neauvo however, which just requires a good pt setup, and PLD is a job that is used in the last fight, it will easily replace Adaman or Gallant and even Valor.

Edit: Getting to floor 100 on Nyzul easy? Of course if you have pimp gear and friends, think more along the lines of reg players and that some floors are nasty and can ruin a run, there is a lot of luck involved, my static was 0/4 on floor 0-5. Most people who want Atonement will have to invest a good 2 months into it and hope they have a dedicated well geared static.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-19 11:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:
for A u can get to 100 without a static as long as u dont let noobs join

couple friends of mine went 1-100 in like a month.

its the same kinda thing for most ***on this game, can either wait a few years for someone to ask u if u want to do it or ask friends and shout for people so u can do it straight away.

Yeah... it's not that easy. I've had much better results with a static than random shouts.

Also, it is impossible to climb from 1-100 in a month. The highest you could reach is 85 with *0* losses in a month. Only exception to that would be if every member had Captain rank, and even then, you're pushing it relying on never losing.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 12:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

lol well felt like a month, was 2 at the very most.

Celestinia said:

HP gear isn't outdated, it's still very important not just for cure kits but the higher hp you have the less enmity lost when taking hits, so don't discard it.

Bodies PLD should aim to get are Neauvo (fast cast + enmity) for /nin tanking, Avalon Breastplate for Magic defense build and either Koenig or Ares for /war tanking.

Wearing a hauby over Ares is ok for DD but where PLD is DDing they will probably be /war and using berserk so Ares provides a huge defense bonus while giving good DD stats, make up the acc in other slots, Ares is better imo.

Edit: Getting to floor 100 on Nyzul easy? Of course if you have pimp gear and friends, think more along the lines of reg players and that some floors are nasty and can ruin a run, there is a lot of luck involved, my static was 0/4 on floor 0-5. Most people who want Atonement will have to invest a good 2 months into it and hope they have a dedicated well geared static.

why would pld dd /war? atonement is 700dmg ish per ws depending on your hate

joy/justice owns if they wanna DD, i know a guy who did 11% dmg on a kirin parse as pld, had 300tp b4 fight did spirits within in max hp gear, invincible, icarus wing same again, then spam atonement, ares body for DD pld is lol u need acc to spam WS cos that's where most of your dmg comes from.

also i dont think more hp u got less enmity u lose each hit u take, i thought it was less dmg u take less enmity u lose? could be wrong tho.

however that doesn't matter that's what shadows are for, people don't wear hauby+1 on pld just to DD, the acc = more hit rate = more atonement spam = more hate.

floor 1-5 is the worst for a new group, but when u get used to it u win almost all the time but with pickups win rate is bout 50% depending on if u get a noob or not.

2 months isn't much anyways
 Odin.Betty
user: Betty
By Odin.Betty 2009-04-19 13:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:

Also, it is impossible to climb from 1-100 in a month. The highest you could reach is 85 with *0* losses in a month. Only exception to that would be if every member had Captain rank, and even then, you're pushing it relying on never losing.

wat

1 tag/day, 30 tags/month, 30 runs * 5 floors a run = 150 floors...

100floors needed / 150 floors possible = 66.7% success rate over a month.

Two out of three ain't bad, Meat Loaf even made a song about it.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-19 13:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Betty said:
Azulmagia said:

wat

1 tag/day, 30 tags/month, 30 runs * 5 floors a run = 150 floors...

100floors needed / 150 floors possible = 66.7% success rate over a month.

Two out of three ain't bad, Meat Loaf even made a song about it.

Whoops... <.< Computation error. Maybe I should start using calculators instead of using my fingers.
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Server: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-04-19 13:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So much in this thread makes me want to cry...

Etrayis said:
Wow. You just failed. PLD's attempting DD is the reason I quit the job.

...Really? You blatantly haven't seen a good atonement PLD tank something, a good PLD/NIN with Atonement can pump out a *** ton more enmity than a "turtle" PLD can, because let's face it, with dual march, haste and 15%+ haste from gear, you should be pretty good at keeping shadows up, making a turtle build appaulingly redundant (and even if shadows do drop, there's this thing called a gear swap macro)

DD PLD doesn't do ***? Ok, I'll stop firing off atonements every minute or so, doing 750 damage, and generating around ~2000VE/500CE

Also, since you love turtle build so much, I'm gonna go grab my Macu+1, /war and blood tank Fafnir like the good old days - Oh wait... I forgot we stopped doing that for a reason.

On the note of Adaman vs Gallant, Adaman is a poor, poor choice, a mere macro piece at best until you get Valor, Nuevo, or something to that effect, the only use for it is the +1 enmity you get.

The HP+ from af is invaluable, even if HP didn't affect the amount of enmity you lose when you take damage, it would still be a LOT more important purely because, what the hell are you going to do if you get hit for 1.4k+ damage? Die? This is why HP > most things (barring haste) for idling in on PLD.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DEFENSE FROM ADAMAN!

Defense? I forgot that stat became obsolete after around level 50... Because of how melee damage is calculated, it just becomes stupid to prioritise defense, over other, much more important stats (HP, Haste, acc)

Slamm said:

What. Like I said before, what the hell are you going to do when something like Sandworm Serket Venom Stings you for 1.5k? :/

Also, for people that don't know...

The formula for enmity loss when damage is taken is:

Enmity Loss = 1800*(Damage Taken/Max HP) Enmity +/- gear has no effect on this.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-04-19 14:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeeeeep said:

Also, the enmity loss decrease from higher max hp has been shown to level out in effect once you have ~1,500 HP. So if you have less hp than that, try to up it, but if you have more you won't get much more out of increasing it except to survive big hits. If shadows go down and you get hit you want to lose as little enmity as possible.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 14:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeeeeep said:

Also, for people that don't know...

The formula for enmity loss when damage is taken is:

thx never knew that.

for the one shot moves could use dmg reduction gear, will do more good than hp+, altho valhalla gear isn't exactly easy to get.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-04-21 16:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Celestinia said:
If shadows go down and you get hit you want to lose as little enmity as possible.

Just FYI, you also lose enmity when you lose shadows.^^
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-04-21 17:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Before this goes further, I made this thread a good 2 months or so ago. The only question was Gallant vs. Adaman yet several of you insist on arguing Ares vs. Nuevo and whatnot. I do not care anymore to be honest and PLD is a boring job to me. No further posts please.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-21 21:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Etrayis said:
Before this goes further, I made this thread a good 2 months or so ago. The only question was Gallant vs. Adaman yet several of you insist on arguing Ares vs. Nuevo and whatnot. I do not care anymore to be honest and PLD is a boring job to me. No further posts please.

Mayhaps others find the discussion useful.