Gallant vs. Adaman
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 17:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
Just because someone posted it on wiki doesnt make it correct...

I never said it was "correct," I merely posted it as a suggestion = /

Just because you posted advice on FFXIAH.com forums doesn't make THAT correct, either--nothing against you, but you get my point, don't you?
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Server: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-20 18:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i wear gallant surcoat and feet, and everything else is Iron Ram... no need for the Adaman stuff, it's expensive and the stats aren't anything special. enmity > VIT and defense in parties. for end game you want a mix of enmity and HP. in parties i have around +35 enmity and there ain't a DD in the world that can pull hate consistently without doing something drastic...
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 18:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's true--Adaman stuff is expensive (it was a gift to me from a good friend, thanks Mandlorian!), and Enmity does have priority over VIT in endgame situations. Adaman was awesome WAY back in the day, now it's sort of lost it's luster. It's shiny, blurple luster. ; ;
 Garuda.Amara
Server: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-03-21 00:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I... unfortunately use Adaman Cuirass... but that's because atm untill I can gather some more gear, use my Gallant Surcoat as a HP+ for my cure kit when /nin
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-21 01:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Adaman Cuirass too XD
 Garuda.Amara
Server: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-03-21 01:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone runs around in white or black or red body pieces on pld.... I'm purple! I stand out... no... I'm just too damn poor to afford anything and can't stand dynamis lol
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-21 01:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I just have no time for endgame while I'm in college XD Damn exams. Instead I'm wasting time on a forum to distract myself.

oh, goddammit D: *goes back to studying*
 Asura.Reublucian
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-21 01:40:18
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

To Be honest if you don't have a defending ring you aren't a paladin. End.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-21 03:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

And, on our server, if you don't let the Red Mage have a Defending Ring, you're elitest :D

Inside joke, sorry ^^
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-03-21 17:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Etrayis said:
This is a question I've had for a while and was wondering if anyone could put some light on the subject. I wear the Adaman Cuirass on my PLD, but often times in cities I will pass obvious end-game geared PLDs wearing the AF body piece along side Homam and Blood gear. Now I have looked at them stat for stat and I cannot see any reason to wear AF once Adaman is available. Is there something I'm missing?

well for me the adaman cuirass doesn't warrent 100k+ of my gil ;P when i already have a body piece with similar stats. also i am saving up for the Iron Ram body (that I hope comes out in the next update *crosses fingers*).

I also should be doing homework but am instead on here wasting time -.-;; /sigh
 Bahamut.Etrayis
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-21 17:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow. You just failed. PLD's attempting DD is the reason I quit the job.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-03-21 17:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

shhhhh ;P
you can DD PLD in merit pts. but i changed what i said, bc like everything else we've said. its all situational.
you sir, fail.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-21 17:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been mentioned about 10 million times before on this board alone. (seriously, do a search for "PLD DD" >.>)

High DEF/VIT build PLD's aren't half as useful in Aht Urgan areas as they are outside it, and that a PLD hoping to hold their own out in a PT had better be ready to put on some good DD gear and try to keep up. Any WHM RDM or SCH that's healed a PLD knows that, without having to have PLD at 75.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-21 17:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Nooooo. Failadins fail. Turtle tanks rule!

Edit: I have read all of the DD PLD threads. It was stated in most that almost every party with a DDing PLD caused tons of downtime and burnt MP like no tomorrow.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-21 17:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

As a WHM that's curebombed both PLD, I can say that I barely noticed a difference in the amount of MP I used on each PLD.

I have however, noticed PLD's that do WS's for 2-3 times as much really pick up the pace in some lower level PT's, such as Crawlers, Eruca's, Lv.64 birds, etc.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-03-21 17:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If the pt kills fast enough then there will be no problem with mp, not to mention if the healer knows how to conserve mp.

I did the "turtle tank" thing for most of the time I leveled PLD and while I kept hate well and took minimal damage. My contribution to killing was close to nothing..
 Carbuncle.Celest
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Celest 2009-04-16 12:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Etrayis said:
Nooooo. Failadins fail. Turtle tanks rule!

Edit: I have read all of the DD PLD threads. It was stated in most that almost every party with a DDing PLD caused tons of downtime and burnt MP like no tomorrow.

Run a parse with a PLD friend using both blood tank gear and then DD gear. You will see the proof there. In ToAU style parties a PLD equipped with DD gear will create far more exp an hour than a blood tank. I experience a 2 k an hour difference sometimes in favor of a me equipping DD gear. Also hate is FAR more stable in ToAU with DD gear.

(sorry know the thread is a little old but couldnt resist)
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-04-16 13:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
It's been mentioned about 10 million times before on this board alone. (seriously, do a search for "PLD DD" >.>)

High DEF/VIT build PLD's aren't half as useful in Aht Urgan areas as they are outside it, and that a PLD hoping to hold their own out in a PT had better be ready to put on some good DD gear and try to keep up. Any WHM RDM or SCH that's healed a PLD knows that, without having to have PLD at 75.

Sorry but I will Debunk this. I WAS, AM, AND FOREVER WILL BE a TANK PLD. In the AU areas AS A TANK I was making 23k exp in an hour and half the time w/o a refresher. PLD was MADE TO TANK. You can go the DD route you want and maybe make it work. It's like a NIN Tank, there has to be effort put into it to make it work. 99% of the time I'll take a PLD over a NIN tank.

BACK TO THE TOPIC!

at 73 most pieces of Adaman will replace your AF. Always wear your feet though. I've seen ppl look at the Lord's/King's set between the 2 and that has some minor uses. If you can't afford the Adaman or space, stick with AF. At 75 you'll be upgrading again. I'd also keep the AF Body for cures.
 Gilgamesh.Kaster
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Kaster 2009-04-16 13:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lethewaters said:

In the AU areas AS ATANK I was making 2-3k exp in an hour and half the time w/o a refresher.

More of a confirmation than a debunk, but thanks!
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-16 13:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

And from 55-61 Ninja I was making 18k in that time. What's your point? :P

As far as the AF vs. Adaman goes... I'd use the Adaman for any of the big 'hate generators'. That means Provoke, Sentinel, Shield Bash, Rampart, Flash, and Provoke unless I have a piece of gear that directly 'enhances' one of those. Then you un-eq the enm+ gear. Because as far as I know... You lose more enmity from being hit with enm+ AS WELL AS gaining more.

FFXI Dynamis Calendar
 Carbuncle.Celest
By Carbuncle.Celest 2009-04-16 14:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

adaman vs. af is purely situational. I DD tank exp so adaman isnt a necessity. AF tends to be more useful for other things where HP>other stuff. Is it better for a blood tank in exp? Yes it probably is because of the enmity increase over AF.

off topic, hate for DD PLD is purely a stigma. To the ninja comment... this is a purely PLD topic and has nothign to do with other tank style exp an hour. I am merely trying to make PLD tanking in an exp party as efficient as possible.
[+]
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-04-16 14:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

At 75, the only Adaman I still use is the body, and that's mostly only because I need another item to upgrade my AF to AF+1.

The feet seem to be a clear case: AF is better.

What I actually use a lot is Iron Ram for Head/Hands/Body. They have good defense, HP, and Enmity. Add to that the MdB and Elemental Resist and they are pretty nice. I sure wish they'd release the body pieces, because I have a feeling it will be very nice.

I do use Koenig for Head/Hands, but it depends on what you're doing. In Dynamis, I'd say go with Turtle/Shield skill where you can get it, and macro convenient pieces as applicable. For things like tanking Gods/Jailers/HNM when you're /NIN, you want to adjust to more Enmity and resist gear when it works for the fight.

AF feet are a great piece always, and the AF+1 are very good also.

Askar are probably one of the better /NIN feet with a great balance of stats, but they might take you some time and dedication to get.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-17 14:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I was looking into gearing my friend's PLD for various events. And I thought about the AF vs. Adaman discussion... But then... It struck me, that the Nuevo Coselete is a pretty decent body piece for Paladin. I'd aug his with enm+5 and Fast Cast +5%.
It has a bit lower def than Adaman (3 less) and a bit more than Gallant (2 more). It also has more VIT and ENM than both. Sure, it loses the Divine skill... But really... I don't care about that.
Plus, the Fast Cast is a nice bonus.

Here's some stats and some random other stuff as well.

Nuevo Coselete
Def: 49, HP+20, DEX+5, STR+5, VIT+5, ENM+5, Fast Cast +5%

Adaman Cuirass
Def: 52, MP+8, VIT+4, MND+4, ENM+3

Gallant Surcoat
Def: 47, HP+20, VIT+4, Divine +5, ENM+2

Gallant Surcoat +1
Def: 55, HP+20, VIT+6, Divine +8, ENM+2

- - - - - -

Darksteel Harness
Def: 40 Phys. Dmg -4%

Coral Scale Mail +1
Def: 43 Mag. Dmg -4%

Haubergeon
Def: 45 STR+5, DEX+5, AGI-5, ACC+10, ATK+10, EVA-20

- - - - - -

Kaiser Cuirass
Def: 66 HP+62, STR-11, DEX-11, VIT+21, CHR+21

Valhalla Breastplate
Def: 60 HP+60, Damage Taken -5%, ENM+4, Slow +5%

Homam Corazza
Def:49 HP+28, MP+28, ACC+15, Enhances "Triple Attack"

Ares's Cuirass
Def:55 HP+3%, MP+3%, STR+12, VIT+12, ATK+24, Adds "Refresh" effect, Set: Enhances "Double Attack"

Askar Korazin
Def:49 STR+5, ATK+12, EVA+12, "Double Attack"+2%, "Store TP"+5, Set: Max HP Boost

Avalon Breastplate
Def:52 VIT+7 MND+7 CHR+7 Accuracy+13 Enmity+3 Magic damage taken -5%

FFXI Dynamis Calendar
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-04-17 15:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot to include the Crab Tank!

Avalon Breastplate is definitely one of the best all-around PLD body pieces.

When I finish my AF+1 Body (gogo Snowy Cermet) I'll sell my Adaman the same day. I also have almost 200k AN sitting by so when IR body comes by, I will be able to get it no matter what the cost (Guessing 75-100k).

Coral or Iron Ram (when it comes out) will be the most clear MdB set pieces with the exception of Avalon.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-17 15:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I forgot to throw Avalon in there in the last set of eq there. Guess I skipped over it b/c there's no way I'd get it unless my group happened to get wind of Sandworm being up and got the right void.

And really.. The Avalon's only slightly better/slightly worse than Valhalla anyway. >.>
 Valefor.Dooom
Server: Valefor
user: Dooom
By Valefor.Dooom 2009-04-17 15:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
You should be carrying AF feet with you at all times anyway.

Unless you have AF+1! /pedantic mode off.

Any reasonable parses or tests will show that "DD" pld out-performs "turtle" pld on anything you will exp on once DD pieces become available (hai2u hauby!), and on almost anything you will farm in events like limbus/sky/sea.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-04-17 15:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, at least Avalon you can buy if you really want to.

That's one of my planned purchases should I hit the Mog Bonanza mega jackpot (which will never happen, but I'll buy marbles anyway).
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-17 15:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hehehe... Yeah... But you can probably buy Valhalla from an Einherjar shell for a bit more than Avalon, which would be worth it imo.

As for the parsing and such... We wouldn't xp with him on PLD or farm with him either. We'd only use him for the bosses (Ultima, Omega, HNM's, Odin, etc. etc.) if we're short a tank.

FFXI Dynamis Calendar
 Carbuncle.Kaydence
user: Maliika
By Carbuncle.Kaydence 2009-04-17 15:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

imo there's no need for adaman gear unless you want to look like a tall glass of grape drink.

If you're using the body still grab some ppl and go do the new addon for nuevo <.<;
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-04-17 15:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate to merit on PLD. I've done it a few times just to test things out with some friends, but really, if it's a bird party, I can tank it better on SAM/WAR than I can on PLD/Anything.

For tanking Dynamis, I tend to go Shield/HP/Def/Vit/Enmity, and I do make some minor adjustments while in there, like I usually use tacos, but I bring pasta with me also. I might use Jelly Ring for some mobs and not for others, same for BQR, etc.

Even with minimal fighting time, I get 400 or so out of Atonement on a normal mob in Dyna, which is more than I can squeeze out of something like Vorpal. If it's early in a fight, I usually just open with Swift or Savage to set up one of the SAMs.

As far as the Dyna setup, I think I carry about +30 shield skill right now, which saves me a ton of damage taken and thus helps with hate. Even then, on the regular mobs, I don't expect to hold it the full duration, so if it's at 5-10% and a DD pulls hate, I just get headed to the next mob.