Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22357 22358 22359 ... 22573 22574 22575
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2023-01-31 12:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Video games are the only industry where things can acceptably be released buggy, but also EXPECTED to be incomplete. I can't imagine if those same standards applied in other careers.
"Oh hey Mr Jones, got your tires all rotated for ya. I wouldn't go driving yet, we never bolted them back in place. That'll be done in a patch hopefully soon." to "hey, sent you the spreadsheets" "These are blank" "Oh yeah, about that. I know you're just gonna mod in the numbers and stuff you wanna see there anyway, so this is just a template, not a full spreadsheet."

But in the gaming world if you *** it's like "Oh, you expected it to work on day 1? hahahahaha" attitude. Yes. I totally expected this to work properly. You did release it after all.
By RadialArcana 2023-01-31 12:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

FF14 devs are as incompetent (although the engine is scuffed cause the the mess it started as) and indeed even compliant with cheats as wow and 11 is, they need those players modding donkey di**s on their characters cause they can't afford to lose them. Just as 11 can't afford to go after gearswap and windower.

They could shut down the laughable cheating in PVP and the outrageous modding easy if they wanted to, they just know it would cause massive outrage and player losses if they did.

So they don't.

All this hot hair he posts is just PR, his main job is fluffing the players that idolize him and he knows it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-01-31 12:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
As usual you're showing how little of an understanding you have about a subject that you're so matter-of-factly making statements about.

The biggest studios with multi million dollar anticheat budgets and kernel level anticheat software can't prevent cheating. Every time an anticheat countermeasure is made, someone will find a way around it. It's easier to solve a solved problem than it is to try to invent new, impenetrable solutions to one.

Yes, they make new cheats, and you make new solutions, asnd they make new cheats and you make new solutions. *** obviously. You can never stop new cheats from being found.

It's that they don't do that. And they don't instill any fear. Fear is the best anticheat. They're more conerned with high sub counts than scorched earth banning. Again, *** obviously.

And that's their call, it's the smart call. You just don't get to lament your choice. You chose money.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-01-31 12:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

>they can stop cheating, they chose money instead

>you can't stop cheating

>you can, they choose not to

>but you can't

>lol Lmao obviously but game studios should still dump millions into turning off cheating for 2 days a month instead of choosing profits

Uh huh. Fact is when a game's population reaches the hundreds of thousands or millions, it isn't as easy as you think it is. Companies like Riot and Valve have extremely strict anticheat systems and policies and people still do it. Only the most timid cheaters are afraid of being banned cause everyone else isn't afraid to cheat to get back to the top.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-01-31 12:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You cant stop the cheats, you can stop the cheaters.

It's that simple.

No one is going to risk their accounts. If there is real risk. There isn't because money.

It can't be any easier.

You know how fast everyone would uninstall windower if they actually cared? E.v.e.r.y.o.n.e.

And they'd quit. And Xi would be gone. So they don't. But they don't get to be sad about choosing that path.
By RadialArcana 2023-01-31 12:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

FF14 has very weak anti cheat systems intentionally.

There is a reason for that and we all know what it is, it's becasue there is a huge crossover between 14 and second life and modding is part of that community. Every time this comes up, there is huge outrage that the devs should not do anything about it because they fear losing modding.

They can't fix one issue without breaking the other.

It's never going to change.

Ultimately who cares, 14 is not some serious raiding mmo anyway.
By Afania 2023-01-31 12:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
You can stop cheating. It just takes more effort than they care about implementing.

It's one thing to say you can "reduce" cheats with more effort/money, which is probably true.

It's another to say you can "stop" cheats with more effort/money.

Yes, they make new cheats, and you make new solutions, asnd they make new cheats and you make new solutions. *** obviously. You can never stop new cheats from being found.

This doesn't "stop" cheats, it only reduces cheats.

If somebody is determined to get world first by cheating on day one, they could develop cheats for a raid but never let SE know. Use it on day 0 and by the time SE found the problem and fix them the damage has already been done.

Fear is the best anticheat.

Same logic applies. If somebody doesn't care about losing account for world first then such measure is useless. People will cheat to get world first, sacrifice their account but the damage is already done in this case too.

Realistically speaking You probably have to create a software that is impossible to reverse engineer(not sure if this is even possible) or gameplay mechanics that cheating has zero impact (lol?) to completely stop cheats.

Don't underestimate the determination of dedicated people who really want to break a game, lol.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-01-31 12:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
although the engine is scuffed cause the the mess it started as
XIV does not use the 1.x engine.

I have no idea how much of its legacy code remains in the current iteration but the days of a flowerpot having as many polygons as a character are long behind us.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-01-31 13:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

FF14 has very weak anti cheat systems intentionally.
Oh? You do know that it is impossible to regulate client side cheats?

Quote:
There is a reason for that and we all know what it is, it's becasue there is a huge crossover between 14 and second life and modding is part of that community. Every time this comes up, there is huge outrage that the devs should not do anything about it because they fear losing modding.
Modding is not "part" of second life, it is essential to second life.

Second life is not XIV. Modding is not essential to XIV.

Quote:
They can't fix one issue without breaking the other.
What you have said above does not support this. Please expand on it.

Quote:
It's never going to change.
Everything changes, sometimes for the better.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-01-31 13:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
but the days of a flowerpot having as many polygons as a character are long behind us.
LOL really?! That doesn't even sound like poor optimization, that almost sounds intentional XD

(I didn't know the original design was that bad)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-01-31 13:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It was intentional. There's some dev logs of 1.0 where Tanaka himself tries to explain his way out of a paper bag on why the Malboro model had millions of polygons

Spoilers: there wasn't a good reason
[+]
By Thunderjet 2023-01-31 13:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

https://classichc.net/
By RadialArcana 2023-01-31 13:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Modding is not "part" of second life, it is essential to second life.

Second life is not XIV. Modding is not essential to XIV.

There is a crossover of players between these two games and modding is 100% essential to them in ff14, half these people never do endgame and would quit the game overnight if they stopped mods working.

Quote:
Oh? You do know that it is impossible to regulate client side cheats?

Lost Ark and Wow have far stronger anti cheat systems (not counting botting, that's braindead stuff) You can't even mod lost ark at all, and it's pretty difficult on wow now.

Quote:
Everything changes, sometimes for the better.

Change only happens if there is financial incentive to change, the financial incentive is to not change becasue more care about modding than endgame content.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-01-31 13:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Who else remembers when the Sony DRM rootkit was intentionally being installed and used to bypass Warden?
[+]
By Dodik 2023-01-31 13:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
The XIV team has always cared about people publishing spoilers quickly, especially before anyone could possibly fight or beat the subject of the spoiler.

Welcome to the Internet. Here be spoilers.

To be surprised by that fact is to not live in the current day and age.

People can always, like.. not view the video if they don't want spoilers. Same as any other material out there.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-01-31 13:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the main problem in this case (and why it was in the notice) wasn't that the scene was posted, it was how it was obtained. The cutscene isn't available client side, they made it so this cutscene could only be accessed from the server after you've beaten the boss. So people went out of their way to spoof the server and grab the scene before it was possible to do so legitimately. Kind of like someone getting into a pre-screening and somehow recording and posting it on Twitter.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2023-01-31 14:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Mogtalk's world race coverage will no longer be including overall clears, only teams that stream their attempts.
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss7vs0

EDIT: Kindred just hit the last phase on stream. Hot damn it's cool. @_@;
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2023-01-31 15:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leon Kasai said: »
Mogtalk's world race coverage will no longer be including overall clears, only teams that stream their attempts.
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss7vs0

EDIT: Kindred just hit the last phase on stream. Hot damn it's cool. @_@;

Apparently the "world first" team just got all their achievements, gear, and titles stripped from their account. World first Yoshi P slap chop here. Woah @.@
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-01-31 15:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-01-31 17:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it just me, or is the database information wrong with the minimum monthly income?

103552 active accounts, with everything in batches of 16, so 6472 accounts. $12.95 for the base account + $15 for the mules is 27.95 per month per account. 6472 = $180892.4 per month, but the database is stating $174,420.40/month. If you did 12.95 base account + 14 mules, that comes to $174,420.40 / month. Am I mistaken somewhere?

Also it would be interesting if there was a way to plug numbers in based on certain criteria:
Number of accounts per POLID (default: 16)
Percentage of accounts with:
1 extra wardrobe
2 extra wardrobe
6 extra wardrobe
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-01-31 18:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

He just put 26.95 instead of 27.95 Kind of irrelevant.

It would be neat to see actual numbers. Especially how much they make in server jumps.

I'd also love to see how many new IDs are bought each month so people finally see they don't ban the 18x bots running around ronfaure and gustaberg. Irritating.
By RadialArcana 2023-01-31 18:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Square are a dumbass company so calculating that it makes a profit is kind of irrelevant, they burn money like it's contaminated normally and refuse to spend it when it would be a guaranteed profit other times.

They went from a CEO that was removed for caring too much about the product, to hiring a new one that's a clown.

However considering they have closed down around 6-7 live service games this year alone if it wasn't making money it would be gone no doubt.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2023-01-31 18:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the support members from the now ex-WF team made a statement.

Translation from Reddit posted below:

I know I'm posting a lot of XIV thingies right now but it does seem like there a handful of people who, like me, are interested in these development, so I'll probably keep posting for a little bit longer as things get put out.

Still waiting for a full clear video so I can see the whole fight. Hoping for a Healer PoV.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-01-31 18:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What did dipshitryan do today to get you lemmings spamming him to the top of most viewed.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-01-31 20:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

However considering they have closed down around 6-7 live service games this year alone if it wasn't making money it would be gone no doubt.
I think it's only been 5. ("Only" lol) But the thing that makes it crazy is that each of them were only around for like 9~12 months before having their plugs pulled. Each one of them either because they were so predatory that even the weakest-willed people on the planet wouldn't bother, or because they had so little marketing that the first time anyone even heard about them was when they were cancelled.

FFXI at least had a 4(?) year contract starting in 2020. So in that time, it wouldn't be financially sensible for Matsuda And Friends(TM) to pull the plug on XI, as I'm at least assuming they'd have to spend extra money to terminate their own contract.

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
I know I'm posting a lot of XIV thingies right now but it does seem like there a handful of people who, like me, are interested in these development, so I'll probably keep posting for a little bit longer as things get put out.
I myself am marginally invested. Prior to the weekend I wouldn't even know what's going on. But on Saturday I was hanging out with a group that included a few of the thumpers, and they insisted on having the livestream on in the background. We kept tabbing between the four feeds wiping to Omega and Jerma wiping to Malenia in Elden Ring.
MSPaint Winner
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2023-01-31 22:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
I know I'm posting a lot of XIV thingies right now
You're posting on a XIV site after all.

:^)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-01-31 22:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Jerma wiping

they can't keep letting him get away with it
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-01-31 23:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

He just put 26.95 instead of 27.95 Kind of irrelevant.

It would be neat to see actual numbers. Especially how much they make in server jumps.

I'd also love to see how many new IDs are bought each month so people finally see they don't ban the 18x bots running around ronfaure and gustaberg. Irritating.

And how is FFXIAH supposed to deduce this information from AH sales when the gustafure bots dont use the AH? How are they supposed to deduce server jumps?
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-02-01 01:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The TOP situation just makes me think:

"World First raiders cheating? I'm shocked! Shocked!... Well not that shocked."

Glad Yoshi-P brings the hammer down, but I assume this will just make the raid community that clings to third party stuff like it's oxygen chest thump harder and call SE/Yoshi shitty for doing it etc.

Just reminding me over and over again of every mechanic that people use third party to circumvent the tells for. Learn to RP(memorize lines and read the tiny tell) with Nael? Nah, that's BS. Just make a callout for what it's doing.

Titan Gaols on randomized pairs? Nah, just make something that auto marks who's going to get Gaol'd before the Gaol tell goes out.

I stopped keeping track after that. Just know there were memes going around about TEA about Third party being obligatory to clear.

Stuff like that is half of why I won't raid past Savage. One half is time(I ain't got none), but the other half is just knowing that almost all of the raiders doing it will circumvent the tells.

Heck, even in Savage I don't do blind prog, and in the most recent tier got those nice, illegal markers for P7s. From the grapevine that disseminated them before I even knew they were illegal.

I wonder how many titles Yoshi would strip if he was given hard evidence of all the cheating, heh. I'd probably lose some of my Savage achievements just for being in groups where I myself was vanilla while most others were loaded out.
By Draylo 2023-02-01 01:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember you said there was no cheating in 14 :)
First Page 2 3 ... 22357 22358 22359 ... 22573 22574 22575