Phalanx II merits
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-07 21:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bio is somewhat useful in blood tanking/soloing... but now that I've finished thf I don't really do that anymore.

And yes givign other people phalanx is useful alot of the times... but the vast majority of the times that it would be useful you can and should /sch making phalanx II kinda bleh
 Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-08 05:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Robbyodom said:
Thanks for all the info, Going to leave at least 1 merit on it and use the rest for the other ones.
Sounds like you ignored all the advice if anything, Phalanx II is crap.
[+]
By Halfpint 2011-01-08 08:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

i have phalanxII fully merited and am usually in with pt with the high damage dealers. Not all jobs can /rdm so that extra bit of protection gives the healers a bit of breathing room. I don't cycle it like haste unless it's a high tier NM.

It is my understanding that Phalanx is a better choice for the person casting it and phalanx II for others. If i remember it was said that phalanxII is not as strong when casting it on yourself. but again, as it has already been said..it depends on what role you take in the pt.

And Starr.... what is one man's trash may be another man's treasure...let him decide
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Nexxus
Server: Cerberus
user: Orions
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2011-01-08 14:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Where phalanx absorb some damage, blind II slow II paralyze II help keep my shadow for a long time and take no damage (or almost).

as nin tank, i'd prefer a rdm with a good potent saboteur para/slow II (both 4~5/5) and 1 blind II peraphs (Kurayami is better than blind, Blind II better than Kurayami). than a phalanx II that even a paladin blood tank can cast on himself (phalanx I).

As for Dia III, i think, actually, more you're focusing on the DD tank defense, the better you are for the whole fight, i'm still rdm 75, but i'm going on Slow/Para/Blind II.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 14:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather have a rdm that subs /sch for phalanx if it is a fight where that is useful and needed. /sch is overall the most often the most useful subjob for a support rdm anyways
[+]
 Siren.Froggis
Server: Siren
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2011-01-08 15:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'd rather have a rdm that subs /sch for phalanx if it is a fight where that is useful and needed. /sch is overall the most often the most useful subjob for a support rdm anyways

Gonna have to agree with this completely. I don't even have /sch fully lvl'd yet but so many times have I wished I had it. AoE Phalanx is better than wasting ANY merits on phalanx2 in my opinion. I have 5/5 Slow2 5/5Para2 and honestly could never see myself changing them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 15:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Froggis said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Gonna have to agree with this completely. I don't even have /sch fully lvl'd yet but so many times have I wished I had it. AoE Phalanx is better than wasting ANY merits on phalanx2 in my opinion. I have 5/5 Slow2 5/5Para2 and honestly could never see myself changing them.
You might want to consider blind II... it's been suprisingly good now that everything doesn't have capped hit rate against you lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-01-08 15:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

blindII hmm
been wondering what i should transfer my bio3 merits into as i was merited at 75 for solo play, also having slowII 5/5
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 15:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I took all mine out of bio 3 and that one phalanx for blind II. Pretty decen land rate and effect on most mobs that aren't ya know super resistant to dark... though sometimes I get suprised and land it on things I can't even land dispel on lol
[+]
 Diabolos.Nehalania
Server: Diabolos
user: Nehalania
By Diabolos.Nehalania 2011-01-21 13:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the time if I need to use phalanx I'll sub sch nowadays.
I still have a few merits in phalanx II just in case.
With the way we can get 20 merits in hardly no time flat you can just play with your group 2's and see which works best for you.
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Zolan 2011-01-21 13:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure why you would say bio3 is useless now. Its front heavy dmg for a couple 100 hp with a high tick dot and a long duration its still extremely helpful for rdm kite solos especially when your trying to limit tp. Or maybe im a rdm stuck in the pass missing when uts still blocked halt aga spells... lol either way ill be casting it about twenty times tonight.

O almost forgot... its useless sub sch if you want to support
 Siren.Mallicard
Server: Siren
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2011-01-21 13:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I had 1 merit into phalanx II, to quiet down the tank bitching.

PLD: "Need phalanx 2 nowz" "Great now I am taking way less damage thanks"

RDM: to himself "Its only 14 of the 300 you just took from not keeping shadows up to ask for it..."
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2011-01-21 14:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol that's partyly the reason I have it 1/5 as well!
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-21 14:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the point is that RDMs don't kite solo anymore, and doesn't pld have phalanx now anyway? PLD phalanx will probably be better than a RDM's phalanx ii with 1 merit. It's just a huge waste of time to kite something on rdm when you can just nuke it to death in a few seconds or find someone to duo with.
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2011-01-21 14:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I solo amun all the time and percy on rdm all the time to have them out of the way before having friends come out for the worm. I throw it on kirin to at least assist in negating his regen in low man groups... and sure still seems to help me
 Diabolos.Nehalania
Server: Diabolos
user: Nehalania
By Diabolos.Nehalania 2011-01-21 15:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it all depends on what you know you'll be doing on your rdm. I'm going to mess around with my g2 merits and see what I like best. Its easy for me to just lower/raise anything cause merits are very quick to get. I don't think bio III or phalanx II is useless, its just situational. But either way for those two you need good merits in them for them to be worth meriting I think.
 Asura.Andradi
Server: Asura
user: Andradi
By Asura.Andradi 2011-01-21 21:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing with bio is, if you have even a single melee DD on a mob, Dia becomes the better spell. I always wince when I see people casting bio on a mob that's being stabbed.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-01-21 22:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Basicly, Phalanx II is useless. Do slow and para 5/5.
Explain me how lowering mob's delay by a mediocre % (going from say slow2 1/5 to slow2 5/5) is more usefull than phalanx II. Also what is more usefull than Dia III ¿ You are doing it wrong.
Yes because there is only ever 1 situation a rdm is going to see and its zerging.

Only gimp rdms think like this. Why bring rdm if not for dia III ? This is 15% def down or around 17% damage boost. It's better than chaos roll.
4/5 Slow II
4/5 Paralyze II
2/5 Dia III

/thread
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [56 days between previous and next post]
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2011-03-19 00:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Basicly, Phalanx II is useless. Do slow and para 5/5.
Explain me how lowering mob's delay by a mediocre % (going from say slow2 1/5 to slow2 5/5) is more usefull than phalanx II. Also what is more usefull than Dia III ¿ You are doing it wrong.
Yes because there is only ever 1 situation a rdm is going to see and its zerging.

Only gimp rdms think like this. Why bring rdm if not for dia III ? This is 15% def down or around 17% damage boost. It's better than chaos roll.
5/5 slowII
5/5 paraII
Ice merits 4/5
earth merits 4/5
wind merits 2/5

/thread

fixed*
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-03-20 09:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You must be trolling if you think Wind merits are useful. Earth merits too. Slow does experience decreasing returns, merits after the first one aren't as important as you think. Dia 3 is good period unless all your DD are capping attack which without stalwart's isn't as likely as you think (not that you can't just chain stalwart's in a decent exp pt).
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-20 09:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

In all really t1 merits are garbage for rdm nowadays. I suppose dia II is becoming more important as mobs def are becoming high enough that even with capped att you wont be capping Ratio.

Bio III is useless as is phalanx II. While slow II technically does have decreasing returns there is no point where you can say this is enough for the job always. So more is always potentially really useful. Para2 can rock. As can blind II
 Bahamut.Phix
user: phix
By Bahamut.Phix 2011-03-20 09:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not had phalanx 2 in a long *** time when it was used in salvage ,
Maybe ill put it back in as it stands though my merits are 5/5 vert , ice , slow 2 , bio 3 from when i used to solo a load .
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2011-03-20 09:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

What's wrong with RDM meriting wind, they can do a little of everything so criticizing him isn't fair. Wind merits is fine if u like to solo alot, gravity is very important. It really depends on what u do with RDM because its so divirse. Not like alot of other jobs where alot of merits are completely useless, not like he wants to cap Sange on nin.
 Bahamut.Phix
By Bahamut.Phix 2011-03-20 09:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Zangada said:
What's wrong with RDM meriting wind, they can do a little of everything so criticizing him isn't fair. Wind merits is fine if u like to solo alot, gravity is very important. It really depends on what u do with RDM because its so divirse. Not like alot of other jobs where alot of merits are completely useless, not like he wants to cap Sange on nin.
Reason being while the acc may be nice a mob will undoubtadly build resistence over time to grav , Where as a solid bind saves lives !
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-20 09:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Phix said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
Reason being while the acc may be nice a mob will undoubtadly build resistence over time to grav , Where as a solid bind saves lives !
Mobs will build resistance to both and both can save lifes. And more macc helps it take longer to build said resistance.

That being said name 1 mob that you can actually bind or gravity that you couldn't keep bound/gravitied for however long it took you to solo it even at 80? Hell there wasn't that many at 75.
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2011-03-20 09:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Phix said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:

Abyssea really change how ppl merit because of atmas ,abyssites and af3, outside of abyssea id say its more important. I capped ice macc merits,3 in wind and 2 in earth because when i lvled RDM it was mainly for solo. Thats why i capped bio 3 too, but no point taking these merits off sicne there nothing that much better to do with them.
 Bahamut.Phix
By Bahamut.Phix 2011-03-20 09:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Phix said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
Mobs will build resistance to both and both can save lifes. And more macc helps it take longer to build said resistance.

That being said name 1 mob that you can actually bind or gravity that you couldn't keep bound/gravitied for however long it took you to solo it even at 80? Hell there wasn't that many at 75.
i tried even at 75 never to use gravity more than really needed i spent most of my rdm days in sky doing gods and pop nm's followed by wotg ***and yes while gravity had its uses i just found bind/para acc more usefull i guess .
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-20 09:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Zangada said:
Bahamut.Phix said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
Abyssea really change how ppl merit because of atmas ,abyssites and af3, outside of abyssea id say its more important. I capped ice macc merits,3 in wind and 2 in earth because when i lvled RDM it was mainly for solo. Thats why i capped bio 3 too, but no point taking these merits off sicne there nothing that much better to do with them.
Outside macc merits are even more useless outside of abyssea now. Oh sure back at 75 yeah they could be life safers... but your running around with at least another 80-90 macc even if you haven't changed your gear at all. And I can't think of anything that couldn't be bound/graved before that can now.

And um for alot of solos more merits into slow/para 2 can be much more usefull than bio3 given the increased refresh and dmg/mp used and the fact so many things are just immune now lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-20 09:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Phix said:
i tried even at 75 never to use gravity more than really needed i spent most of my rdm days in sky doing gods and pop nm's followed by wotg ***and yes while gravity had its uses i just found bind/para acc more usefull i guess .
Depends on what you were doing and how well geared really.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7