Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfo.....that was brutal.
 Diabolos.Yugl
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Yugl
By Diabolos.Yugl 2009-01-14 23:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

JP ONLY isn't dependent on just race, it's dependent on the individual (Can't exclude race since it's JP exclusive for the most part). Some will do it some will not. What I find most irritating about this is the fact that people needlessly defend JP ONRY individuals. Even within their community there is disagreement on this practice. As I've note earlier, you can speak their language and they'll still ignore you. It's not always a matter of language barrier. It's not always a matter of cultural differences. It's not always because NA players don't compete at the same level as JPs (Which really isn't the case). In most cases it's because certain individuals want to be ***. As Smurf suggested, show them something they want or need and all language barriers/cultural barriers/skill differences are ignored. Lets face it, those that say JP ONLY do it because they can, not because they must.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-15 00:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly my point, I've had many invites from random japanese while on bard late nights, some while not even seeking, i always /sea all any party leader immediately before even responding to them regardless of language spoken, it's just habit to make sure i know who/what is inviting me.

Needless to say, many times i've seen JP ONRY in peoples comments and at that point I tell them no thanks, i ignore them or i say something about "english" in a creative manner using auto-translate.

Quite honestly, i find it insulting and I would never join a party from a leader with a JP ONRY /seacom.

If you have xxx job they need desperately, it doesn't matter to them suddenly, same with any body else. However, if you are in desperate need and all that's out there is a japanese onry bard, do you think he'd have the courtesy to join you, like you would if invited to a JP ONRY group?

Most of the time not unless you have a JP party member to do the inviting. Why so many ENG players will allow themselves to be degraded by this system is beyond me, I have too much pride for that. Even more sickening is the ones who defend this system.

I'm not that hard up for exp/merits anyway so i'll pass =)
 Midgardsormr.Bolkin
Server: Midgardsormr
user:
By Midgardsormr.Bolkin 2009-01-15 01:02:43
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

The way I see it, these Japanese are just plain racist towards NA players. It's so bad in Midgards when they do shouts, they refuse to use auto translate. I tried to blacklist all the Japanese players on the server but the blacklist is capped, damn you SE. They think they're so good and NA players are worthless, they hide behind that language barrier crap. It'll be nice if SE just give those racists their own server.
 Fairy.Thunderblaze
Server: Fairy
user: Exorcist
By Fairy.Thunderblaze 2009-01-15 01:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

JPs need to get off their high horse, because, quite frankly, they suck *** these days. It's amazing how years and years ago....NAs used to be excited about getting a JP in their party since they were generally awesome....now they're some of the worst players I have ever seen. Had to leave a party today because I couldn't stand how bad a lolsmn was doing...they were having random avatars melee, and do random pointless moves (hastega when everyone was getting haste, spring water when everyone was at full hp, AERO II vs Colibri, enthunder when SCH was doing enblizzard, etc etc...and never doing fenrir buffs and keeping them up upon countless requests). The JPs wouldn't even say anything about the SMN....except after an hour the NIN was like hey...birds resist wind man!

So many JPs fail like the above example these days....so when they say JP ONRY, it's because other JPs won't mind them being idiots. Count it as a blessing. /rantoff
 Fairy.Vylandra
user: Vylandra1
By Fairy.Vylandra 2009-01-15 01:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'm gonna have to agree with TB on this one. I remember when it was fun to get a jp party because you knew it was going to be awesome. It seems like these days whenever I get an invite to a jp exp party the exp is downright horrible. It's made me second guess taking jp party invites for well over a year now.

Now I'm 100% not saying it's the jp players only that are bad. I'm scared whenever anyone invites me these days. I'll usually be like "I don't know that name....maybe I should just say no." But overall I tend to not accept invites from JP parties because they almost always suck.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-15 02:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats because all the good Japanese players only party with each other.

All you guys ever get are the sucky ones.

Except on Asura, there are very few people who suck, because they know they will get the boot within 10 seconds of sucking. IF the suck comes from the leader, then the members would just disband and start their own party (if the leader is also the puller, they usually wait until the leader pulls before disbanding, damn Asurian ***).

But still, sucking at a job is not a nationality thing. Everyone sucks at their job at some time or another, and they grow with it after a few levels.
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-01-15 03:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw Onchan shouting for salvage a few weeks ago during prime JP playtime and was bored so i sent him a tell "Monk or black mage do you need it free help" reply was no supprise JP only. Maybe something like salvage is too much to ask?

Mind you we've had JP members attend my current ls's salvage runs and had no problem with understanding cells (ammo) (back) (ring). Id liked to of gone with the JP pty so i could sample something slightly different and i dont think id of slowed them down much especially if hes shouting for members for 2-3 hours.
 Fairy.Thunderblaze
user: Exorcist
By Fairy.Thunderblaze 2009-01-15 04:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

For things like salvage, they turn people down due to communication concerns. You have to be able to communicate during events like that. I'd turn down JPs for that reason alone for certain events. For XP though...just need people with half a brain and semi awake tbh.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-15 04:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Communication is probably the main reason. Like I wouldn't want to invite anyone who can't speak English to a Nyzul run, unless I know for a fact that they are very good at what they can do and understand order for lamps.

But I would have to be able to read their language, which I can't (unless its English, but then I wouldn't have the communication problem in the first place).
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-15 04:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bolkin said:
The way I see it, these Japanese are just plain racist towards NA players. It's so bad in Midgards when they do shouts, they refuse to use auto translate.

Jaerik's pointed out that the way auto-translate works in the JP Client is different to the English Client. Something about basically having to type the entire word, instead of a few letters, before hitting Tab.
 Kujata.Vyren
Server: Kujata
user: Vyren
By Kujata.Vyren 2009-01-15 05:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a thought but has anyone tried learning THEIR language? If you talk to them in Japanese, no matter how little, they're usually a hell of a lot nicer and friendlier. Everyone is angry because they don't immediatly speak OUR language, but what about them? I think part of it is also just the barrier period. They don't want to use auto translate in shouts and get that rogue NA player hanging out in their event making things akward because I sure know that on occasion things I have done have had a rogue JP player in the mix making it a little difficult.

I don't think it's purely racism unless you yourself taking it that way, it is just easier (Unless you're able to partially speak their language) to try and stay seperate. But I certainly don't think trying to BLACK LIST THEM ALL is a smart thing to do dude. :\
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-15 05:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Vyren said:
Just a thought but has anyone tried learning THEIR language?

Oh oh oh, I am!

I got that "Japanese Word Coach" for my DS, it's pretty awesome XD I love it =P

I'm hoping that, that mixed with Shigemo's FFXI guide that was posted earlier on a different thread, will give me enough knowledge of the japanese language to be able to at least make it in primarily Japanese parties ^^
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-15 05:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Japanese is hard. I know, I'm currently in Japan studying business, and Japanese is one of the classes required here, since I am abroad.

Too many particles. Too many verb structures. Too many different forms.

So yes, I am trying to learn Japanese. I could never understand what players are saying (Kanji is too difficult, although I do know the basics).

But try asking a bunch of players who have high-school education or lower to learn a language just for a game, and you will get flipped off and laughed at quicker than you can say "crap."

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-15 05:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets just face it. Got to go by stereotypical attitudes.

Americans are bigots
Canadians are idiots
Germans are German
Japanese are fearful of a big, white guy biking to school with a leather jacket on because he is from South Texas, never thought he would need a warmer coat, and like hell he has never been this cold on a SUNNY day in ANY day of the year, and its not going to get ANY better because its supposed to get colder during Feb.
But thats just the Japanese.

Did I mention its cold in Japan? I'm freezing my *** off.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-15 08:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Vyren said:
Just a thought but has anyone tried learning THEIR language?

I speak fluent enough Japanese to have everyday conversations with them and understand the majority of what their "squiggles" say- And I can tell you it entirely depends on who you're speaking to.

Some of them will play along and start speaking to you in Japanese, telling you how good it is, how they understand, etc, whereas some of them will laugh at you and then ignore you for daring to use THEIR language.

The majority of them find it very flattering, because it shows you're clearly making an effort.

Someone has too, right...?
 Odin.Gabronth
Server: Odin
user: gabronth
By Odin.Gabronth 2009-01-15 09:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
People have a tendency to be uselessly picky. I'm sure we've already had the topic of 'jp only', but unfortunately in all search messages I've ever seen it's only been that, when it comes to nationality. But on the flip side we also have this generally accepted notion that JP parties are great. So in that run of logic, why wouldn't these great players want other great players to play with? I'm not saying I support that argument, but there it is. As for gear it has to be pretty drastic, personally, for a person to get kicked or not even accepted to party. I'm talking "energy rings at lvl 60" / "rmt" bad. The game is social, and I agree people need to be more Sociable. Yes, that also means inviting that BST to party. EVEN though you think "there's way better DDs out there!", and instead of waiting 4 hours and a potential party disband because you want a "good job'.

agreed i built a pt one time was decent not great but decent and 1 person left cause they didnt think we would get limit chain 150+ with the setup..... hmmm well limit chain 30+ is better the limit chain 0- right????
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-15 09:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

When the folks at SquareEnix released this game to NA, they were perfectly aware of the issues that might arise. The people who made the decision not to keep some servers Japanese-only, are Japanese. Still, they insisted that all of the game servers be international. That was at the time a unique occurrence in MMORPG management, and I believe it is still a rare one. Why they did it? Did they simply expect us to deal with these issues on our own?

Most of the people in this world live in a place where their ethnicity is clearly dominant. That's way to convenient. To me, this isn't anything new. I live in Montreal, Canada, and because of the school where my parents CHOSE to send me, I was the only white person in elementary school. They wanted to teach me something...

Every country has it's lot of stupid people. Do you live in an English only environment IRL?

I've grown in one of the cities with the most (read official stats before you start arguing mindlessly over this ^^*) different ethnicities in the world, and this kind of behavior isn't uncommon. Usually, people who weren't born here hang strictly with their own ethnicity because they feel more easily understood, accepted, etc. The fault is on both side, for not trying to mix in, and for not making an effort to accept difference.

So you end up seeing a bunch of people from some country, speaking some language you've never heard of, and then a bunch of people talking some other language from some other country, as you walk downtown. They don't have access to auto-translate. If you happen to be in their group, some don't really care if you don't understand. But some will make an effort to speak English or French just so that I can communicate with their group. Well these are the people I chose to hang with: respectful people with high emotional intelligence

So I am amazed when a groups of Asians or Latino-Americans are all speaking MY language together, for the simple reason that there are a few who wouldn't be able to take part in the conversation otherwise. Most of the Japanese living in Japan are just a few steps behind in their sociocultural evolution, and for obvious reasons (they live in a country where there's usually no point in speaking another language).

When I meet a Japanese who says "Tabs" "No thanks" just to be an ***, I play along and reply "child" "too weak" "no thanks" And may they either grow up from it eventually if they're smart enough, or go to hell like the rest of the sad pathetic racist people on this Earth.

There is no land on this planet that belongs to a culture/language. We just like to pretend it is so, because it's convenient.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-15 10:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for that info Jaerik, now I will be even more thankful to the few Japanese who make an effort and use it... o_O

Jaerik said:
Some simple examples of how the auto-translator is epic fail to a Japanese player: (I have actually witnessed this one)

English: (May) (Bee). (What?) (Up)? (I) (Pull) (Back) to (Camp)
Japanese: (5th Month) (Hornet). (What is it?) (Above)? (Myself) (Fishing Skill) (Body Stature) to (-meaningless-)

Many of the shortcuts that NA players use with the auto-translator aren't just slightly confusing, but completely unintelligible. And as my "stick it in" example demonstrates, even simple one-token phrases are typically useless on the Japanese side of things.

Add to that the fact that Japanese does not "auto-complete" on Tab very reliably, and frequently requires you to type out the entire phrase before it will detect it as an auto-translate token... and you can see why many JP players refuse to use the damn thing.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-15 10:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I love people that shout...

{P.M.} 8-2 {Do you need it?}

My Japanese friends know what people mean by that, but they also know that the person is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and ignore the shout.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-15 11:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Lets just face it. Got to go by stereotypical attitudes. Americans are bigots Canadians are idiots Germans are German Japanese are fearful of a big, white guy biking to school with a leather jacket on because he is from South Texas, never thought he would need a warmer coat, and like hell he has never been this cold on a SUNNY day in ANY day of the year, and its not going to get ANY better because its supposed to get colder during Feb. But thats just the Japanese. Did I mention its cold in Japan? I'm freezing my *** off.

You missed out British :P

So much hate towards JP players it seems. There are JP elitists and there are JP players who are new to game. There are non-JP elitists and non-JP players who are new to game.

There are awsome players/adequate players/not so good players and there are really nice people/***, which country they are from makes no difference.

Japanese and Americans are two different cultures and I don't know how much dislike there is bewteen the two sets of people towards each other but that might play a factor in some of this debate...
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-15 11:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this has been posted and by only reading page 1, I've got the basic idea of this thread.. and I have used a few auto translator webpages and even tho my attempts were extremely basic, the JPs I was with in a Party, did laugh probably at me, but knew that I was making the inital attempt to communicate with them, so in seeing that they did understand and the party turned out to be a huge success.

I really think Some JPs are really turning around... I'm all for JP parties even though I'm NA.

I hope that some JPs who are bilingual, tries to get this thread out and encourage the JPs to use english.

Our grandfathers might have had conflict with the JPs way back in WW2, but this doesn't mean we have to... I am so for the Friendships and International Relations!!!!

JPs & NA... hell I might as well include that this should be for everyone in the whole world.. EU, FRA, GER, AUS...EVERYONE!!!

P.S Here is another Translation page I used... Take a a look.

http://shigemo.com/FFXI/nihongo_guide.html
 Diabolos.Yugl
Server: Diabolos
user: Yugl
By Diabolos.Yugl 2009-01-15 11:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Vyren said:
Just a thought but has anyone tried learning THEIR language? If you talk to them in Japanese, no matter how little, they're usually a hell of a lot nicer and friendlier. Everyone is angry because they don't immediatly speak OUR language, but what about them? I think part of it is also just the barrier period. They don't want to use auto translate in shouts and get that rogue NA player hanging out in their event making things akward because I sure know that on occasion things I have done have had a rogue JP player in the mix making it a little difficult.

I don't think it's purely racism unless you yourself taking it that way, it is just easier (Unless you're able to partially speak their language) to try and stay seperate. But I certainly don't think trying to BLACK LIST THEM ALL is a smart thing to do dude. :\

Yes I have spoken to them in their language and I sometimes still get the same JP ONLY response (I'm on NA Client/PS3 so I can't use characters, which is why they know I'm NA). Trust me it's racism. Elmer on BG (He does a lot of communication between the JP and NA players on forums) has even pointed out there are traces of racism. It's not the entire JP community that does it, but there is a noticeable amount.
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-01-15 12:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the Autotranslate function that SE's problem and they need to fix it (lazy ***). Smurfer dude was right about having the right job and they (JP) want you to join up. Also some of the japanese learn english but choose not to use it because of a superiority complex. JP onry is the issue here and I"m talking about merit/exp parties crap. You can't fook up autotranslate of [party] [please?] and not understand that unless your dyslexic, blind, or just plain ole' HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE! Once again they are the only ones to bust out the Onry crap. Now if SE wanted us to all get along they should do a better job on their Autotranslate, but its been 5 years now and still its a broke *** system ... perhaps SE doesn't want to narrow the gap, put all the dudes on their own server I say. Others (NA,EU,HK, etc...) will invite anyone to a party (except those players who not only got dropped on their head as baby, but dad/mom also curb stomped em), I've put parties together that sucked *** (we all been in one of those), but still had a great time playing. You gotta have fun in the game not run it like a business as some do. Someone who can organize people should get a petition to either fix the autotranslate or let those who are JP Onry gtfo off the servers. Make it optional and it would be interesting to see how many leave. Lets stop talking about the problem and make a solution.
 Midgardsormr.Dabamylord
user: franzsy
By Midgardsormr.Dabamylord 2009-01-16 01:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Being an Asian who actually lives in Asia and not in the US, I hang out with the JP crowd. One of the main reasons why JPs don't like EN PTs is simple: they can't speak English. It's hard for a non-English speaking JP to tell an EN-speaking person important things IN DETAIL. Example, how do you think a JP's gonna say "omgwtfsex please tank backwards when fighting eyes cuz they can paralyze you"? If they say {shield} {front} {no thanks} would you understand that? It's the language barrier. Many English speakers should stop being so pre-emptively offended when they see "EN no thanks" on search comments and think about their side first. Whatever their reasons for not wanting an EN PT, you'll never know unless you ask them. If they say {English} {too weak}, smack them, but then again, why stoop to his/her level? It's not worth it.

Secondly, I've had my share of EN/JP PTs. I'm not generalizing but I really hate it when most of the time, EN players would refuse PTing if some of the requirements aren't met. Just yesterday I invited a PLD to a colibri PT and he asked me if there's a BRD or RDM. I said no and he said no thanks. That kind of attitude irritates me. So I got pissed and I formed a JP PT and I got LV54-58 in a matter of hours while he is still seeking in Whitegate so I sent him a tell saying I'm LV58 now, sorry you got no PT yet and DCed to sleep. I also extremely dislike the arrogance of many American players. They formed an all-polearm PT and invited me, the sole WHM and they *** about me not casting Blind or Paralyze on a colibri where I'm too busy trying to cure their *** from being pecked to death, and I was using my HUME back then. Oh, when they checked me and saw I got no Serket ring, they asked me "are you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE or something why don't you have a Serket Ring". Not all Americans are like that, perhaps it's just my bad luck that I got to PT with the idiotic ones. One thing though, the worst elitists I've ever encountered in this game are not westerners, but JPs.

Not all JPs are racists because lately most of them are accepting bilingual PTs now (something I noticed since 2 years ago) and that's good. But you can NEVER erase {English} {no thanks}.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-16 02:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree. In an exp especially a merit party since they are the same redundant birds... there is no reason that anything should have to be explained at this point, this game is very old now and the vast majority know what to do with what mobs. I don't buy the whole language barrier line.

I could understand if we were talking about running dynamis or fighting some new HNM and needing a new strategy explained but this was about EXP parties, how often do we fight some mobs that need to be tanked backwards or anything of that caliber that maybe would require explanation that the auto-translate can't handle?

Most parties about the only thing i could see possibly needing to talk about is [Paralyna] [Silena] [Haste] [Refresh] None of which any decent player of any nationality would even need to be told, but that's beside the point.

Language barrier is not a barrier for a simple exp party, unless you think that your english speaking buddy might just be too HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to understand simple translations like that. I can honestly see why one might think this, i've seen far more half-assed NA's than anything else but not everyone is a trashy player. Being lumped into the same category as someone who melee's as RDM or any other HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***, just because of the language i speak is unfair, and insulting.
 Midgardsormr.Dabamylord
user: franzsy
By Midgardsormr.Dabamylord 2009-01-16 02:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Like you said, there ARE HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE players that STILL need to be told, no matter how old this game is, you will still encounter a RDM that rarely refreshes or hastes a NIN tank. Perhaps I may have PTed with a guy whose head isn't THAT bright, but for them JPs to resort to me to translate to tank backwards or turn around when eyes do that Para move on an uncommon camping site for LV37 Gazers on Eldieme shows the insufficiency of the auto-translation function, since it's been unestablished as to how to effectively tell a non-JP tank to "tank backwards" or "turn around whenever the Gazers do that para move". For those people who STILL don't learn from their mistakes despite the redundancy of fighting the same mobs over and over and not be prepared, well tough luck for them.

YOu have all the right to disagree and I respect that, but what I wrote is just based on my own personal observation and I wrote out as a possible reason. Be it sold for you or not is cool with me, what I'm trying to say is that people NOT be automatically offended just because they see "EN no thanks", at least not without knowing WHY first. I highly discourage boiling it down to bigotry and/or racism as the 1st conclusions.
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2009-01-16 04:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

At least JP players don't force DC like NA's do. But one thing that irks me is that a JP player will never look for a rep or even mention he's leaving the party. Almost all the time I have one, they're like "last boss" or, "time for work! see you again!" all suddenly =/, even if they're a valuable party member like a bard.