Who's Going To Quit FFXI At The Release Of XIV?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Who's going to quit FFXI at the release of XIV?
Who's going to quit FFXI at the release of XIV?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Akiyuki
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Weensy
By Valefor.Akiyuki 2010-07-17 05:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
[
Lakshmi.Aegil said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Not playing XI, and I won't be playing XIV. SE has lost their minds bringing in exactly the same playable races.. After 10 years wouldn't you think it's time for something new?
The races are about the only thing the same. In every other aspect FFXI and FFXIV have absolutely nothing in common. They're so radically different from one another that it's impossible to attempt a side by side comparison of the two. Not to mention what MMORPG doesn't have a Human or Elf race of one kind or another? lol Actually, Galka, Mithra, and Taru are surprisingly different from most playable races in other games on the market. No FF MMO has the classic gnomes, dwarves, demons, trolls, orcs, and the like.
Human and elf is the larger definition of the word. We don't have humans or elves. We have Humes and Elvaans.. again. I'd just have appreciated a little Oblivionation with the character creation. Pick a race and allow SOME freedom in the customization, except being able to change the hairtype. Doesn't mean all I care about is how my character looks, but I'm pretty much through with FFXI characters. Especially since I never liked 4/5 of them.
It's hard to really argue for/against the races, because it's aesthetic, it's like bitching about Art Style (Not art Quality) Personally, I'm a fan of the simple 5 races (x2 if you count the clans, like any other MMO would just to post "10 Playable races" on the back of the box) and an even bigger fan that they're keeping "The same" races. I like them, none seem out of place or too excessive, (Undead... Lycanthrope, seriously WoW?!) but again, this is nothing more than opinion. As for the degree of customization, it is much more robust than face-Hair, if you've ever played Dragon Age or Mass Effect, it's much the same, there are preset types of facial features that you can mix/match and whatever, though it doesn't seem you are able to really fine-tune like in a game such as Oblivion or Fallout(Faces).

Jesus if it was like Oblivion, some of us wouldn't even play the game the first day (including myself in this statement).
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-07-17 05:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Akiyuki said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
[
Lakshmi.Aegil said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Not playing XI, and I won't be playing XIV. SE has lost their minds bringing in exactly the same playable races.. After 10 years wouldn't you think it's time for something new?
The races are about the only thing the same. In every other aspect FFXI and FFXIV have absolutely nothing in common. They're so radically different from one another that it's impossible to attempt a side by side comparison of the two. Not to mention what MMORPG doesn't have a Human or Elf race of one kind or another? lol Actually, Galka, Mithra, and Taru are surprisingly different from most playable races in other games on the market. No FF MMO has the classic gnomes, dwarves, demons, trolls, orcs, and the like.
Human and elf is the larger definition of the word. We don't have humans or elves. We have Humes and Elvaans.. again. I'd just have appreciated a little Oblivionation with the character creation. Pick a race and allow SOME freedom in the customization, except being able to change the hairtype. Doesn't mean all I care about is how my character looks, but I'm pretty much through with FFXI characters. Especially since I never liked 4/5 of them.
It's hard to really argue for/against the races, because it's aesthetic, it's like bitching about Art Style (Not art Quality) Personally, I'm a fan of the simple 5 races (x2 if you count the clans, like any other MMO would just to post "10 Playable races" on the back of the box) and an even bigger fan that they're keeping "The same" races. I like them, none seem out of place or too excessive, (Undead... Lycanthrope, seriously WoW?!) but again, this is nothing more than opinion. As for the degree of customization, it is much more robust than face-Hair, if you've ever played Dragon Age or Mass Effect, it's much the same, there are preset types of facial features that you can mix/match and whatever, though it doesn't seem you are able to really fine-tune like in a game such as Oblivion or Fallout(Faces).

Jesus if it was like Oblivion, some of us wouldn't even play the game the first day (including myself in this statement).

Hell yeah, looking original and unlike anyone else in the game is awful, isn't it?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-17 05:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Akiyuki said:

It did take considerable work to get a character that didn't look like a troglodyte Mongol.
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Valefor.Akiyuki said:

Hell yeah, looking original and unlike anyone else in the game is awful, isn't it?

That's not even what he's talking about, it took a while to make a character that wasn't *** ugly as hell, also, Oblivion made sure that any NPC's assigned with your combo were changed, Morrowind did this as well, despite there only being a Face/Hair type cycle for selection. Lern2Videogames.
 Valefor.Akiyuki
By Valefor.Akiyuki 2010-07-17 05:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Valefor.Akiyuki said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
[
Lakshmi.Aegil said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:

Nah i don't mind so much if there is a clone of me, just try to make it look as much like me as possible. If we could important images and have them adjusted for race, i'd be in heaven XD.
 Valefor.Akiyuki
By Valefor.Akiyuki 2010-07-17 05:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Valefor.Akiyuki said:
It did take considerable work to get a character that didn't look like a troglodyte Mongol.

LOL nah I just played with the random generator and tried to make the most fubar looking creature on earth (after taking 5+ hours to make a char similar to me).
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-07-17 05:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Valefor.Akiyuki said:

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Valefor.Akiyuki said:

That's not even what he's talking about, it took a while to make a character that wasn't *** ugly as hell, also, Oblivion made sure that any NPC's assigned with your combo were changed, Morrowind did this as well, despite there only being a Face/Hair type cycle for selection. Lern2Videogames.

Lol, that was hilarious about Oblivion. Whatever the hell I did, I just couldn't create a character that wasn't ugly as hell.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-17 05:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Valefor.Akiyuki said:

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Valefor.Akiyuki said:

Lol, that was hilarious about Oblivion. Whatever the hell I did, I just couldn't create a character that wasn't ugly as hell.

It was 150x worse if you wanted to play a Female, though there really was no reason too in Oblivion. Fallout3 on the other hand, there were some hilarious things you could do with the "Black Widow" perk as a gurl.
 Ragnarok.Albasheq
Server: Ragnarok
user: Albasheq
By Ragnarok.Albasheq 2010-07-17 07:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

going to try the free month, then accordingly i'll see if it's time to give up on XI or not.

after 8 years of playing ffXI i'm looking for something new and sadly no other MMORPG can get close to it :(. it's time for change i guess and SE hopefully will learn to listen to our feedback much much faster now.

side-note : yeah requirement seems *** up between recommended and the benchmark actual reading.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-07-17 07:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I plan on moving to XIV as soon as I can. Upgrading to a new system as we speak. Half of my social LS is moving too, a couple people got into BETA and pretty much left already. I've loved FFXI, but I really think this game won't last much longer to be honest. Sure the servers will be up for a while, but it won't be the same. I think this is one of the reasons for the cap update. So that you no longer need alliances and ***to go fight HNMs and events, as soon getting a full LS will be difficult. Hell, it already is annoyingly hard during GMT times.
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
Server: Bahamut
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2010-07-17 07:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

meh, not I
 Sylph.Nanii
user: Sani
By Sylph.Nanii 2010-07-17 08:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nomadikhan said:
meh, not I
Not I as well I shall play both
By semimmortal 2010-07-17 08:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Planning on moving to FFXIV too, but keeping XI as an expensive instant messenger lol.

Quick question though, does the gameplay look/feel similar to the game White Knight Chronicles? Just bought the game a few days ago and realized it has the ATB stamina like thing.
Pity I can't choose the race in it, had some familiar looking race there (rabbit/dwarf, cat, ogre(?), elves (w/ horns) and humans... eh?).
 Ragnarok.Albasheq
Server: Ragnarok
user: Albasheq
By Ragnarok.Albasheq 2010-07-17 08:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Planning on moving to FFXIV too, but keeping XI as an expensive instant messenger lol.

not if they keep using POL and the ID-link to FFXIV which i hope they do then you can just text and chat normally while enjoying ffxiv :3
By Kwontess 2010-07-17 08:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Halisstra,

Its certainly not squares fault that my system is "garbage". Like I said I honestly applied because I wanted to be a part of it. I wish I had a better computer. At this point I wish it had gone to someone who can get more use out of it.

Zicdeh,

I definitely need to tweak my settings and continue to work on it. I haven't had a chance to spend enough time doing that.

I regret saying I was in the beta. I should have just said to the best of my knowledge my system can't handle it. I also called tarutaru laloff (dunno why, probably thinking La'Loff Amphitheater), when of course thats not their name (its what I get for posting late).

Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-17 09:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting topic, thanks guys.
 Unicorn.Yuffy
Server: Unicorn
user: Yuffy
By Unicorn.Yuffy 2010-07-17 09:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

People talk about NDA yet, if they had read it, they would know that you aren't allowed to even say that you are in the bêta.
Therefore, anyone claiming to be a bêta tester yet respecting NDA is a hypocrite by default.

None of you deserve to be a bêta tester if you cant even follow rules and just go parade as the attention *** that you are.

I'm surprised to see so many people starting/ending with FFXI, I thought i was the only to feel like this ;;
[+]
By Halisstra 2010-07-17 12:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Age of Conan's battle system was as follows. Run up to an enemy, hit 1-2-3-4 on your keypad. By the time you hit number 4, your first attack will have recharged, so, you hit 1-2-3-4 again. That's pretty much it. Granted they had a shield system which meant that a character would take reduced damage or block if you are attacking on they side they are defending. So if an enemy was defending to the left and 1,2, and 3 were all left swings, you'd have to do 5-6-3-4 instead until the enemy switched his defense to normal in which case you'll go back to hitting 1-2-3-4. I think that makes sense.

Which I first started playing I thought the combat was pretty neat but by level 20 the magic wore off. It was more complex on toughers mobs and in PVP but my only experience with the latter was people ganking me while I was trying to do quests.
By Zekko 2010-07-17 12:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually liked AoC...til it died
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-07-17 12:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I wont jump ship when 14 comes out, FFXI was a year old when I started because I would rather wait a bit while everyone else figures the bugs out. Plus, in a few months I most likely wont have time for 11 let alone 14
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-07-17 13:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought AoC was a step in the right direction in terms of combat. It wasn't anything amazing or groundbreaking, but it was slightly more engaging then WoW or FFXI. I personally want to feel like I'm more involved in the combat as opposed to hitting 4-5 macros over and over (gear swaps not withstanding) and spamming my abilities/spells as soon as the recast timer goes back down.

The "no auto-attack" micro managing combat seems to be the way MMO's are going. IIRC Champions online also uses a system very similar to FFXIV's stamina bar, and come to think of it I don't think City of Heroes/Villains has an auto attack feature either. Though that game is considerably older. I'm not sure if Star Wars: The Old Republic does, kinda hard to tell from the few vids of it that are out there.
 Lakshmi.Naveyah
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Naveyah 2010-07-17 13:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I read the thread title as "Who's going to quit FFXI and go play another game for 6 years to get pimp gear."
[+]
 Cerberus.Nostylin
Server: Cerberus
user: NoStylin
By Cerberus.Nostylin 2010-07-17 13:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I already quit :o
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-07-17 13:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was an XI 360 player, but right now I'm buying a new PC just for XIV. I canceled my XI account last night after not playing it for around a few weeks.

I've done all I care to do in XI so until XIV comes out I'll be spending my time playing WoW. =D

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-31 14:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Will probably play both, but lean more heavily on 14. Beta is pretty cool, I was worried cause the benchmark gave me 240 >_> But the Beta runs fine..

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-31 14:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Nvidia. I still get some lame FPS freezes, so I'll be updating anyway. But it's playable at least.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-07-31 14:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Not quitting FFXI.

I think fewer people are now eager to move to FF14 than most thought a year ago.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-31 14:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what I experience too, running in town I get frame freezes then seemingly teleport to another place. But standing around or fighting tends to be okay.
8600M GS