G20 Protesters, Gtfo!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » G20 protesters, gtfo!
G20 protesters, gtfo!
First Page 2 3 4
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a sample of what's going on here >/
Quote:
TORONTO — Following an afternoon of violent clashes in Toronto, riot police arrested dozens of G20 protesters who have rampaged through the city’s downtown burning police cars and smashing windows.

At Queen’s Park — the provincial legislature — riot police on horseback have surrounded a group of protesters.

The scene was chaotic as officers on foot in full riot gear and banging their shields tackled protesters to the ground and quickly bundled them behind police lines.

Clashes with police broke out early Saturday afternoon as an estimated 10,000 demonstrators took to the streets of Toronto as part of a massive protest against the G20 summit of world leaders being held in the city.

While most were content to sing, wave placards and dance, a smaller group, estimated at roughly 100, were doing more serious damage, smashing windows at banks and shops in the downtown, as well as attacking two media vehicles.

Dressed in helmets, gas masks and body armour, police appeared to have successfully blocked the protesters from walking down toward the Toronto Convention Centre, the site of the G20 summit.

At one point, after flames and smoke had finally stopped streaming from two of the burnt-out police cars, which had been parked when they were set ablaze, officers formed a line four deep to block off a street.

Hundreds of protesters, filling an entire city block, chanted angrily at the officers: “Let us through,” and “This is what a police state looks like.”

The crowd cheered when a charred police car was towed away.

Toronto Mayor David Miller reacted angrily to the riots.

“I just want to say to Torontonians directly – please stay calm, don’t be disturbed by these images (on TV),” said the mayor.

He said the rioters were “criminals” whose only intent on Saturday was to cause damage and be violent.

“They are criminals and they will be handled by the criminal justice system.”

Dimitri Soudas, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's director of communications, condemned the violence.

“Free speech is a principle of our democracy. But the thugs that prompted violence earlier today represent in no way shape or form the Canadian way of life,” Soudas said.

A spokesman for Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, Chris McCluskey, said the minister is being continuously updated “on the destructive and violent activity taking place in downtown Toronto.

“These images are truly shocking to Canadians. Toronto is a world-class city, and the Government of Canada condemns these acts of violence by groups of radical protestors.”

The G20 security zone was put on lockdown as were several other locations, including the Eaton Centre shopping mall, SickKids Hospital and Toronto General Hospital. The Eaton Centre lockdown was lifted later in the afternoon.

Officers had both golf balls and flowers thrown at them, a symbol of the dichotomy security officials faced.

“As you can see, the officers are out there and they’re reacting to the crowd or to the incidents as they come along with the response required to keep the control of the situation,” said Const. Rodney Petroski, a spokesman for the G20 Integrated Security Unit.

“It’s fluid, but they are responding as the incidents arrive.”

Toronto EMS confirmed three people had been injured.

“We have a call of three people bleeding from the head in the area of the protest. . . . They are stable. Toronto EMS is trying to get into the area. We’re close by and waiting for it to be safe to enter,” said Kim McKinnon.

At one location, a CTV store, a Scotiabank and a Subway restaurant all had windows smashed.

"Bomb the bank," was scrawled in spray-paint across its front.

Miller rejected suggested the Toronto police stood back and didn’t do enough to stop the rioters from damaging property in the downtown core.

“I think we should be very proud of the Toronto police service,” he said, adding that the riot shows why the police “erred on the side of caution” by preparing for violent confrontations.

Miller said he thinks the federal government should provide financial compensation to people whose property was damaged – something the Harper government has said it was not inclined to do.

TTC subway service in the downtown core has been shut down, and GO Transit has suspended service to Union Station on the Lakeshore line at the request of police.

Farrah Miranda, an organizer from community group No One Is Illegal, said she Syed Hussan were stopped by officers who refused to identify themselves.

She said they threw a handcuffed Hassan into an unmarked car and drove away.

She said she was handcuffed, driven around, questioned and released on a street corner in what she called “intimidation and bullying tactics.”

Meanwhile, two Toronto veterinarians say they were woken up at gunpoint Saturday morning by police who thought they were the anti-G20 protesters who live in the apartment downstairs.

Seriously protesters, get the *** out of my city before I come down there and beat y'all!
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-26 20:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Why exactly are they protesting the G20 summit? Anyone care to make a quick summary?
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Various groups are protesting... anarchist, AIDS groups, animal rights groups.... GREENPEACE AND VEGANS >O.
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-06-26 20:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this I don't even.....

[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:

It's a canadian thing
Quote:
Downtown Toronto was in chaos Saturday as roving bands of G20 protesters set fire to police vehicles and smashed windows despite a $1-billion security tab and thousands of police at the ready.

A core group of militant protesters, disguised with dark bandanas, wearing black bike helmets and using what's referred to as a Black Bloc tactic, remained at large hours after their campaign of violence began.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-06-26 20:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is spence... the dude should be all over this thread!
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-26 20:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

/runs through the thread naked with a Canadian flag cape

GOOOOooooOOOOO Canada!!!!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I KNO RIGHT! Now go do that through that massive police line!
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-26 20:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard a lot of complaining about paying for security, and then people go out and justify the need for security...

I expect better of us!
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yea seriously... i best people are gonna be like "WTF MY STORE!! Where was that 1-billion dollars ; ;"

oh, lol @ people sitting down infront of the fence!
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope they like... try to breach the line xD
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
Server: Cerberus
user: Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-06-26 20:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If this continues through to tomorrow the military is getting involved and I got to go spank some toronto retards.
So pumped :D
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-26 20:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
If this continues through to tomorrow the military is getting involved and I got to go spank some toronto retards.

A guy I work with who's in the reserves is there for security
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 20:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:

LOL! Really? When was this announced?
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 21:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Mounted Police units :3

Makes me want to be an officer instead of a Paramedic
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-06-26 21:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah media won't release it until we show up tomorrow.
They are taking most of the light infantry troops based out of Chatham and Windsor ontario.

And as to why this is happening.
Roughly 300million dollars of the tax payers money is being spent to accomadate the world leaders, and the budget for security is ridiculous.
And people are pissed cause the G8G20 don't really do *** all as it is.
They already finalized anything they may be doing, then the G8G20 is just them getting together to shoot the ***.
[+]
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-06-26 21:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Mounted Police units :3 Makes me want to be an officer instead of a Paramedic

I'm in the process for the RCMP right now.
Can't *** waaaiiiit!
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 21:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Yeah media won't release it until we show up tomorrow.
They are taking most of the light infantry troops based out of Chatham and Windsor ontario.

And as to why this is happening.
Roughly 300million dollars of the tax payers money is being spent to accomadate the world leaders, and the budget for security is ridiculous.
And people are pissed cause the G8G20 don't really do *** all as it is.
They already finalized anything they may be doing, then the G8G20 is just them getting together to shoot the ***.

hahah that's funny. But right now it looks like they are pretty much in control of the protester, don't know if it'll be necessary to send in the troops.

I'm sure that's just the taxpayers complaining about that though, the vast majority of the protesters are there to get other ***heard. Mind you... <_< I don't particularly like paying for someones boat outing in Muskoka
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

I'm in the process for the RCMP right now.
Can't *** waaaiiiit!

WAHAHA I'd join if I knew I wasn't gonna get sent off to the Yukon
 Titan.Sphinxx
Server: Titan
user: Sphinxx
By Titan.Sphinxx 2010-06-26 21:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad I'm up in Woodbridge away from all this mess. :3
 Siren.Krystale
Server: Siren
user: vaness
By Siren.Krystale 2010-06-26 21:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
/runs through the thread naked with a Canadian flag cape GOOOOooooOOOOO Canada!!!!
Hawt
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 21:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

WoW! Careful there!
 Bahamut.Weasel
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2010-06-26 21:15:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I work in downtown Toronto but have the weekend off thankfully. Soooo not going anywhere near that. People are just stupid.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-06-26 21:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Weasel said:
Yeah, I work in downtown Toronto but have the weekend off thankfully. Soooo not going anywhere near that. People are just stupid.

Agreed, WEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, GET ON AIM!
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-06-26 21:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Yeah media won't release it until we show up tomorrow. They are taking most of the light infantry troops based out of Chatham and Windsor ontario. And as to why this is happening. Roughly 300million dollars of the tax payers money is being spent to accomadate the world leaders, and the budget for security is ridiculous. And people are pissed cause the G8G20 don't really do *** all as it is. They already finalized anything they may be doing, then the G8G20 is just them getting together to shoot the ***.
hahah that's funny. But right now it looks like they are pretty much in control of the protester, don't know if it'll be necessary to send in the troops. I'm sure that's just the taxpayers complaining about that though, the vast majority of the protesters are there to get other ***heard. Mind you... <_< I don't particularly like paying for someones boat outing in Muskoka
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
I'm in the process for the RCMP right now. Can't *** waaaiiiit!

Yeah I havn't receive a confirmation call to have my gear ready, so surprisingly enough, I just might be playing ffxi hahah.

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Yeah media won't release it until we show up tomorrow. They are taking most of the light infantry troops based out of Chatham and Windsor ontario. And as to why this is happening. Roughly 300million dollars of the tax payers money is being spent to accomadate the world leaders, and the budget for security is ridiculous. And people are pissed cause the G8G20 don't really do *** all as it is. They already finalized anything they may be doing, then the G8G20 is just them getting together to shoot the ***.
hahah that's funny. But right now it looks like they are pretty much in control of the protester, don't know if it'll be necessary to send in the troops. I'm sure that's just the taxpayers complaining about that though, the vast majority of the protesters are there to get other ***heard. Mind you... <_< I don't particularly like paying for someones boat outing in Muskoka
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

& I'm particularily looking forward to sexing some moose up in the Yukon.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 21:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Awww why not! Looks like a load of fun up there :D
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 21:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

Yeah I havn't receive a confirmation call to have my gear ready, so surprisingly enough, I just might be playing ffxi hahah.

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

?
 Cerberus.Alzeroth
By Cerberus.Alzeroth 2010-06-26 21:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Cerberus.Alzeroth said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
?

I love you.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-06-26 21:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, christ.... nothing up in the Yukon... that's why they give you free internet and Isolation pay.. it's TRUE

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4