Religion strikes again
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 19:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I do have sympathy for the argument that writing off an entire religion, or the practitioners of that religion, because of bad behavior by a few of its members, is wholly unfair.

That having been said, if the followers of said religion do not act better or worse than the general population in any statistically relevant way, what's the point?

For example, the Catholic Church triumphantly announced the other day that the incidence rate of pedophilia by clergy "is no higher than that of the general population."

Okay, great, but isn't that damning with faint praise? What's the point of looking to the church as a moral compass if it evidently doesn't matter either way?

General population of people are religious?

Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 19:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree completely Smileybone. People use religion as an excuse to start conflicts, and if religion wasn't here they'd simply use something else. The human nature is the reason for the deaths in the world, not religion.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I agree completely Smileybone. People use religion as an excuse to start conflicts, and if religion wasn't here they'd simply use something else. The human nature is the reason for the deaths in the world, not religion.

True, but consider that religion (along with money, emotions, possessions, land, law etc.) are merely tools to justify said conflicts.

This guy had it right the whole time...

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 19:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

He did indeed, Religion, money, love, emotion etc etc are just giant excuses used by those in power to create conflict.

It sickens me.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-17 19:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: All religious people are not murderous.. But they are definitely all:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
irrational and *** ridiculous.
[/quote]

What is wrong with "I Don't Know"??

Why does it have to come to believing in talking snakes, men living in whales, and invisible wizards that create the world with black magic?

I'd much rather believe that we came to be by an accidental chain of events, rather than being created by magic -.-

And no.. I don't believe it was an accidental chain of events... There is a Rational explanation for it, that hasn't been found yet.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-17 19:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

There is something else that bothers me.

If it would have been ANYONE else that started this thread.. They would have been questioned, and called a troll..

But since Tigerwoods created it...
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 19:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

True, but consider that religion (along with money, emotions, possessions, land, law etc.) are merely tools to justify said conflicts.

This guy had it right the whole time...

Cool, you like John Lennon, me too! Religion in most cases does not justify conflicts, people in said religion justify said conflicts. Religion is meant to discourage conflicts. That's my belief any how.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-06-17 19:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
For example, the Catholic Church triumphantly announced the other day that the incidence rate of pedophilia by clergy "is no higher than that of the general population."

Okay, great, but isn't that damning with faint praise? What's the point of looking to the church as a moral compass if it evidently doesn't matter either way?

while it is faint praise indeed, it does address a common misconception about the catholic church

i'm fairly sure that if you asked your average american about the pedophilia rate in the catholic church, he would say it was much higher than the norm, which is simply not the case.

if you reported every single... say rape by methodists... that ever occurred, i don't think it would be long before methodists had a terrible reputation, even though they weren't raping any more or any less than the general population.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 19:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what? If I were to molest a child I'd say I was catholic just to try and alleviate the blame.

I'd know stupid people would blame the religion instead of me for molesting a kid.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 19:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
There is something else that bothers me.

If it would have been ANYONE else that started this thread.. They would have been questioned, and called a troll..

But since Tigerwoods created it...

His post got rated down if you think ppl are playing favorites lol. Ya I agree don't need to see every stinking news clip that is mildly shocking.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

while it is faint praise indeed, it does address a common misconception about the catholic church

i'm fairly sure that if you asked your average american about the pedophilia rate in the catholic church, he would say it was much higher than the norm, which is simply not the case.

if you reported every single... say rape by methodists... that ever occurred, i don't think it would be long before methodists had a terrible reputation, even though they weren't raping any more or any less than the general population.

The thing is, the more you specify or specific you get with social groups, the more narrow the margin is.

While the rate of pedophilia may be equal or less than the general population among the Catholic Church, you have to ask yourself, is that saying much with how many people follow the church vs the world's population?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 19:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Troll or not, he has a good point. Most religious people take it extremely personal, therefore any manner of insult or attack against their faith or should something blasphemous arise they more often than not go apeshit and tend to resort to violent reaction.

I never beat someone to death because they call my religion ***. And plenty of people have, even those in my own family.

And I know plenty of other people who wouldn't resort to violence either.

The difference here is, if I get into a debate over religion with someone who is non-religious, and I simply walk away, I don't make the 5 o'clock news. Nobody except me and the person I'm talking to would know about our discussion.

So I think you need to revise your statement, sir, and take a statistics class while you're at it. Also, feel free to look up the definition of "most," since you have no clue what you're talking about.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Troll or not, he has a good point. Most religious people take it extremely personal, therefore any manner of insult or attack against their faith or should something blasphemous arise they more often than not go apeshit and tend to resort to violent reaction.

I never beat someone to death because they call my religion ***. And plenty of people have, even those in my own family.

And I know plenty of other people who wouldn't resort to violence either.

The difference here is, if I get into a debate over religion with someone who is non-religious, and I simply walk away, I don't make the 5 o'clock news. Nobody except me and the person I'm talking to would know about our discussion.

So I think you need to revise your statement, sir, and take a statistics class while you're at it.
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Note that I said most take religion personally. In the end it's up to the individual on whether it becomes a violent reaction or not, but you have to admit; violence is a common side effect to religious conflicts as a whole.

Ya most people you hear of take religion personally. The other several billion who don't make the news everyday obviously don't. Violence is the result of a lot of conflicts in general lol. Anywhere you have the clash of ideas, be it religion, money, favorite channels, violence is always a very possible outcome. Religion is no better or worse imo. And if people weren't fighting over religion, they'd just be fighting over something else.

It was far from my intention to single out religion as the most or only common factor of violent reaction. However, based on the incident at hand, there is a keen correlation between his death and the conflict's circumstances.

I did.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 19:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you didn't.

If his family beat him to death because they wanted to watch Lady Gaga shake her *** on MTV, would you blame Lady Gaga?
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-17 19:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
There is something else that bothers me. If it would have been ANYONE else that started this thread.. They would have been questioned, and called a troll.. But since Tigerwoods created it...
His post got rated down if you think ppl are playing favorites lol. Ya I agree don't need to see every stinking news clip that is mildly shocking.

Meh.. People have been killing people in the name of god for thousands of years.

I wouldn't call it shocking...

I'm actually waiting to see what happens next
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
No, you didn't.

If his family beat him to death because they wanted to watch Lady Gaga shake her *** on MTV, would you blame Lady Gaga?

You didn't read my posts at all did you?

PS: No need to get uppity.
[+]
 Phoenix.Destrac
user: Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2010-06-17 19:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

To the OP story, religion is irrelevant to changing TV channels and the family just seems like a bunch of freaks regardless.

But religion does cause violence and hate when it comes to certain issues and groups:

Christianity, Islam, and to a lesser extent Judaism's treatment of gays and lesbians. Islamic treatment of women. etc. These are not some isolated cases, but a statistically significant influence to hate.

There is no "excuse to scapegoat religion" here. Religion is the center cause.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 19:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
No, you didn't.

You didn't read my posts at all did you?

I read your posts. You're grasping at straws. You're putting blame on a system of beliefs instead of putting the blame on the people who actually committed the crime. That's ***.
Quote:
PS: No need to get uppity.

I didn't realize poking holes through your theory that religious people = violent is "getting uppity."
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-17 19:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
No, you didn't. If his family beat him to death because they wanted to watch Lady Gaga shake her *** on MTV, would you blame Lady Gaga?

You're a bit slow

Lady Gaga has not been causing holy wars for thousands of years.

Lady Gaga does not cause people to fly air planes into sky scrapers

People who like Lady Gaga do not arm their children with assault rifles, and bombs.

If you kill in the name of Lady Gaga, it doesn't make you a good person.

Only god can create this kind madness.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying it's the sole cause. I am saying there is a relevance. It's obvious the assailants were batshit crazy to begin with, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the fact that they were religious that amplified the conflict to the degree it took. Sadly, resulting in one's death.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 19:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
No, you didn't. If his family beat him to death because they wanted to watch Lady Gaga shake her *** on MTV, would you blame Lady Gaga?

You're a bit slow

People who like Lady Gaga do not arm their children with assault rifles, and bombs.

Neither does religion. Humans cause this, don't blame it on misinterpretation of holy texts.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 19:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

You're a bit slow

No, I'd say you're a bit slow.

Deities haven't been starting holy wars for thousands of years. Stupid people have.

Deities didn't fly planes into sky scrapers. Stupid people did.

Deities don't arm their children with assault rifles and bombs. Stupid people did. (And the families involved in Columbine tried to blame Marylin Manson and had everyone believing them for a while there, champ.)

If you kill in the name of a deity, that makes you a stupid person.

For someone who abhors religion such as you do, and doesn't believe in it at all, you sure like to place the blame on a mythical, fake creature when it suits you.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just keep in mind that religion works both ways. It can be a powerful tool of self-empowerment through faith, but at the same time can be used as a tool or excuse for unspeakable crimes against humanity.

Ultimately the action comes down to the individual, but the weapon of choice still exists.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 19:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Just keep in mind that religion works both ways. It can be a powerful tool of self-empowerment through faith, but at the same time can be used as a tool or excuse for unspeakable crimes against humanity.

So can money. I don't see you condemning money like you do religion.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

So can money. I don't see you boycotting money like you do religion.

Sadly our modern society runs on the stuff. I need to work to keep a roof above my head, clothes on my back, food on the plate and bills paid. Religion is optional.

I'm not singling out religion, but it is the subject at hand. No need to deviate.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 19:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

So can money. I don't see you boycotting money like you do religion.

Sadly our modern society runs on the stuff. I need to work to keep a roof above my head, clothes on my back, food on the plate and bills paid. Religion is optional.

I'm not singling out religion, but it is the subject at hand. No need to deviate.

So your hate of religion is superficial?
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't recall hating on religion to begin with. Just pointing out the duality on it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 19:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:

Deviate? LOL. Pointing out your hypocrisy is not deviating. It's simply getting to the bottom of your reason to make such blanket, unfounded assumptions and then attempt to backpedal.

If religion was as horrible as you and others like you claim it is, the human race would've killed themselves off thousands of years ago. I mean, since MOST (the majority) religious people are violent, we wouldn't have made it as far as we have, wouldn't you think?
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-17 19:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Only humans can create this kind madness.
Fixed.

Exodus 35:2 God demands the death of anyone who works on the sabbath.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 God demands the death of disobedient teenagers.

Leviticus 20:13 God demands the death of homosexuals.

Deuteronomy 22:13-21 God demands the death of non-virgin unmarried girls.

Rape~

Zechariah 14:1-2
2 Samuel 12:11
Deuteronomy 22:28-29

God for Slavery~

Leviticus 25:44-46
Exodus 21:7
1 Peter 2:18

God for Torture~

Revelation 9:4-6
Revelation 20:10-15

God for Child Abuse~