Relegion? Wait Wut?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Relegion? wait wut?
Relegion? wait wut?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-08 21:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Bouncingflea said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cain and Abel.

Wrong story bro, it's the story of Abraham and his son Isaac. Just my 2 cents.
Just saw this, time for some more reading, brb and ty.
 Caitsith.Surreal
Server: Caitsith
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-08 21:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm Agnostic, all because of the events that happened in my childhood leading up to my adulthood and I eventually got the self-awareness in myself that I don't like being forced to do things I didn't like to do, I.E church, read the bible..

My family is very heavy Christian, or at least call themselves Christians.. But they are in fact extremely abusive physically and verbally, And my Grandma will straight up tell you you are a failure and that you're going to hell if you commit one sin, I just realized that I didn't want to be judged by anyone and I was tired of being stereotyped.

It's everyone's decision because you have to cross some path eventually where you have to actually decide your faith, Just prepare to be flamed if you don't happen to have the same ideal's as the rest of the country lol.

Siren.Starbuck
Server: Siren
user: Starbuck
By Siren.Starbuck 2010-06-08 21:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing that always confuses me is that people think that 'religion' and believing in God are the same thing. You can believe in God without religion, all religion does is give you a way or a path to use to express your belief in God.
And lets face it, organised religion has its flaws, because there are always corrupt individuals who use 'faith' to hide behind so they can do whatever they want no matter how heinous, pretty much everyday in the news theres examples of that.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-08 21:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cain and Abel.
I just read the wiki page on the story. The main point is jealously, seems you're right on that. I'm confused though on this whole sacrifice thing though. Their god wanted animal sacrifices or something?

And I don't think this was the story I was thinking of.
I thought there was another story about a parent who had to kill their child and at the last minute, god said they didn't have to or something, just wanted to test their faith.

This story you gave me was about two brother and the first murder. Is there a story about a parent?
Sylph.Bouncingflea said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cain and Abel.

Wrong story bro, it's the story of Abraham and his son Isaac. Just my 2 cents.
w00t def the story I was thinking of here! And wanted to quote myself :P
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-08 21:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Starbuck said:
One thing that always confuses me is that people think that 'religion' and believing in God are the same thing. You can believe in God without religion, all religion does is give you a way or a path to use to express your belief in God.
And lets face it, organised religion has its flaws, because there are always corrupt individuals who use 'faith' to hide behind so they can do whatever they want no matter how heinous, pretty much everyday in the news theres examples of that.

Yeah, its pretty disgusting how some people in the world will abuse their children and say that they are Christian :/ makes me sad.
 Ragnarok.Skiutah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Skiutah
By Ragnarok.Skiutah 2010-06-08 21:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arkanethered said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

1- How did it all started?
2- What's the purpose of my life?
3- Why the evolution theory is still just a theory?
4- If everything was created by coincidence, then what is the soul, after if science says that the any substance can't be turned into nothing. then where does the soul goes when it leaves a living thing?.

1 - You are just as likely to find a reasonable made up answer in any scholarly or religious text. The difference is that science attempts to prove while religion pounds that it just is and not to question it.

2 - If you find the need to play the puppet and not carve your own nitch or find your own meaning to life than I think that this personal question could only be answered by you. I don't need someone else to tell me how I should life my life or feel the need to tell others how to live theirs.

3 - Sadly I am going to have to assume that you do not understand the scientific definition of the word theory. I would suggest you enlighten yourself before you start throwing it around. If you wish to judge evolution vs. religion under the same objective justification then religion cannot even be considered a theory as there are no actual ways to prove its existence beyond your personal feelings which are not valid in a logical debate.

4 - You are going to have to prove the existence of your soul beyond your own personal belief before this can even be considered a logical question.

This is not intended as a flame, you asked for personal input and I offer mine.

QFT, especially number 3.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-08 21:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather not reply to the massive wave of rehash, so I'm going to reply to OP's post.

1- How did it all start?
What do you mean it all?
To be able to make an accurate question you have to be specific. You could mean the universe, the denver broncos, my mothers failed abortion(hypothetical i hope), touchdown jesus...etc..you get my point.
Let's assume it's the first one.
I could be one of those *** and go with some scientific theory or some ***, but I'm an existentialist, so if you know anything about that you probably can get where i'm going.
We don't know, you world around you is how you and your peers shape it. I could mention social norms and all that, but I don't feel like explaining it so if you want to know about it google it(may end up explaining it on another question anyway)

2-Purpose? The essential purpose in life is pretty simple, to reproduce, to survive, when you get down to happiness and feelings and ***it gets a bit muddled because that's all perceived human emotion. Now on to the concept of purpose in the confines of human society, it's pretty much as you weave it.
quoting the "father" of existentialism(google it), " the thing is to find a truth which is true for me, to find the idea for which I can live and die" That's a bit out of context, but the way I see it purpose is the pursuit of truth, truth is a bit iffy because one's truth may be different than anothers. It's the pursuit in finding something that you believe in and that you can live and die believing in.

3- ***feels like i'm writing a novel or something.
evolution theory, mentioning this is a bit silly, you are just asking to get trolled dude. anyway.
evolution theory- they still haven't found out if it was the chicken or the egg, that's all i care to say about that.

4-Dunno where you got the coincidence thing there, seems like you are assuming too much. I think if someone proves to me that God is in fact an alien, i'll repent now.
But seriously, do you know the scope of the universe(how big it iz mang)?
do you have a good idea how the planets were created?
If we are one galaxy in a forest of billions, trillions, quintillions and so on...why would you think it's not coincidence? Coincidences such as something like that happen all the time, which also breathes notion into the possiblity of aliens, but that's another subject.
occams razor dude, most obvious answer is the right one.
life goes from a molecular level to the *** universe man.
which means there is constantly a bigger and bigger scope to things....just envision a magnifying glass that goes the scope of the universe, it's targeted on a single blade of grass or some ***on earth, you have it zoom out and each time the scale and scope gets bigger and bigger and bigger.
Our knowledge of the universe is that one blade of grass, how can we be so pretentious to say for sure or something so grand and vast?
And then again, how do we even know that it exists?
LOL.
The concept of a "soul" is just the survival instinct of humans coupled with our social constructs, we made up language, why can't we make up a concept such as a soul.
Yeah sure you have a soul.
Your soul is your consciousness, it's yer brain man.
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-08 21:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Skiutah said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

4- If everything was created by coincidence, then what is the soul, after if science says that the any substance can't be turned into nothing. then where does the soul goes when it leaves a living thing?.

1 - You are just as likely to find a reasonable made up answer in any scholarly or religious text. The difference is that science attempts to prove while religion pounds that it just is and not to question it.

2 - If you find the need to play the puppet and not carve your own nitch or find your own meaning to life than I think that this personal question could only be answered by you. I don't need someone else to tell me how I should life my life or feel the need to tell others how to live theirs.

3 - Sadly I am going to have to assume that you do not understand the scientific definition of the word theory. I would suggest you enlighten yourself before you start throwing it around. If you wish to judge evolution vs. religion under the same objective justification then religion cannot even be considered a theory as there are no actual ways to prove its existence beyond your personal feelings which are not valid in a logical debate.

4 - You are going to have to prove the existence of your soul beyond your own personal belief before this can even be considered a logical question.

This is not intended as a flame, you asked for personal input and I offer mine.

QFT, especially number 3.

I agree with this completely, There's just too many questions and no one has the answers to any of these.. It's just personal beliefs, No one's in the right or in the wrong.
 Caitsith.Silvaria
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-06-08 21:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Surreal said:
Siren.Starbuck said:

Yeah, its pretty disgusting how some people in the world will abuse their children and say that they are Christian :/ makes me sad.

My favorite are the people with Christian bumper stickers on their car, but they drive like complete a-holes. I drive more carefully with my CATS in the car than some people I've seen with a minivan full of children and a big religious fish symbol on the back. ; ;

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-08 21:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Caitsith.Surreal said:
No one's in the right or in the wrong.
QFT.

Also, if you think you are right then you're probably wrong most of the time about something and when you think you are wrong then you're probably right lol.
(Directed as a generalization and not at you personally Surreal.)
So.
you saying that means you think you are right about "if you think you are right then you're probably wrong", that could be applied to the statement in and of itself creating a paradox.
lol, sorry to be cliche, but dividing by zero=not good.
 Caitsith.Merlitz
user: Merlitz
By Caitsith.Merlitz 2010-06-08 21:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

Really thanks for the input. What I know about "theory" is that it's an idea, but one step behind a "fact". The reason I'm bringing it up, is because believing evolution contradicts all religion beliefs.
I'm sorry but you have that backwards, Theory is above fact.

[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-06-08 21:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

That's probably taken out of context. He means when it comes to things that haven't been proven/disproven, I think.

EDIT: Aimed at Vinvv.
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2010-06-08 21:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing the word "theory" used a lot here, mostly as part of the phrase "just a theory."

Just so everyone's on the same page as to what this word actually means within the field of biology, a theory is a testable explanation for some observable phenomenon. To be considered a theory, the explanation must hold true for all known cases. One can disprove a theory, but one can never prove a theory; this is because it is impossible to go out and measure everything in existence. Can you imagine ? Eeeeeeverything lol

So the only reason that evolution is considered theory rather than law is because we have not yet discovered 100% of the life forms (past and present) on this planet - in fact we probably never will. However, for the staggering number of organisms that we do know about, evolution holds incontrovertibly true.

tl;dr version: A theory is something that a bunch of really smart people spend all their time trying to disprove, but they can't. When we say evolution is a theory, we mean "As far as we know - and we know a whole hell of a lot - it's true. But we do not and cannot know everything."

Edit: lol I post too slowly, just watch the above youtube vid~
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-08 21:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that video does a good job at it.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-08 22:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Only to that one question though.
But I guess OP was asking for it though.
 Sylph.Bouncingflea
Server: Sylph
user: Roiclem
By Sylph.Bouncingflea 2010-06-08 22:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Merlitz said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

Really thanks for the input. What I know about "theory" is that it's an idea, but one step behind a "fact". The reason I'm bringing it up, is because believing evolution contradicts all religion beliefs.

I don't understand why people think that evolution contradicts a belief in a god, or in this case the christian God. I consider myself apathetic to religion in general, but that doesn't mean that i don't think that there could be some type of creator.

Maybe i'm just crazy :/
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-08 22:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
For starters you forgot the part in the first picture that: mom is obviously bangin the next door neighbor while dad's at work.

So...how did you draw up this conclusion?

Oh! 2 blonde kids with 2 brunette parents. HOW THE *** DID THAT HAPPEN?!

It's called genetics. The hint here is the recessive gene. Surely you science geeks have heard of it.

I guess I should answer the OP's questions:
Quote:

Because people didn't have microscopes, hi-tech machines, or even written language thousands of years ago.

Quote:

To live how I want and to be happy, within reason of course.

Quote:

Because people and animals didn't leave carbon footprints lying around back then.

Quote:
4- If everything was created by coincidence, then what is the soul, after if science says that the any substance can't be turned into nothing. then where does the soul goes when it leaves a living thing?

When scientists figure it out, give me a ring. Until then, I'll believe my made-up mumbo jumbo until proven otherwise.
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-08 22:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Bouncingflea said:
Caitsith.Merlitz said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

I don't understand why people think that evolution contradicts a belief in a god, or in this case the christian God. I consider myself apathetic to religion in general, but that doesn't mean that i don't think that there could be some type of creator.

Maybe i'm just crazy :/

Its just other people's opinion vs. opinion lol, I was expecting people to clash when another religion thread was made x.x
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-06-08 22:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

My omnomimg Yachiru beats your waving Yachiru Surreal!
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-08 22:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:

xD

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-08 22:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Only to that one question though.
But I guess OP was asking for it though.
Yeah that's what I meant, good answer for #3.
 Fenrir.Empedocles
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Empedocles 2010-06-08 22:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

One question I'd like to ask though, is...

If your god knows everything, or at the very least, watches everyone and knows what everyone is thinking....

Why do you bother praying? He/She/It already knows what you want, or what you hope for other people etc... sounds liek a waste of time, really.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-06-08 22:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Surreal said:
Caitsith.Linear said:
xD
I prefer my Souji/Izanagi avatar though.

Cause P4 is epic.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-08 22:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
For starters you forgot the part in the first picture that: mom is obviously bangin the next door neighbor while dad's at work.

So...how did you draw up this conclusion?

Oh! 2 blonde kids with 2 brunette parents. HOW THE *** DID THAT HAPPEN?!

It's called genetics. The hint here is the recessive gene. Surely you science geeks have heard of it.
Obviously you totally missed the point. So going on what you said then, the recessive gene at most would give a 25% chance that their offspring would have blond hair. And that's if both parents have the recessive gene. Times 2 kids.

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Because people and animals didn't leave carbon footprints lying around back then.
Dinosaurs didn't leave any carbon footprints?! Huh?
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-06-08 22:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Empedocles said:

If your god knows everything, or at the very least, watches everyone and knows what everyone is thinking....

Why do you bother praying? He/She/It already knows what you want, or what you hope for other people etc... sounds liek a waste of time, really.

Basically, the Christian God is something of an attention ***. He knows everything, but he likes it when people talk to him. Even though he doesn't talk back.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-06-08 23:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-08 23:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

lol XD
Server: Siren
user: beesknees
By Siren.Screamingbabies 2010-06-08 23:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Empedocles said:

And what about his plan? What if what you want isn't in his plan? Is he suppose to change his ultimate plan just for you?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11