Relegion? Wait Wut?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Relegion? wait wut?
Relegion? wait wut?
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-05-18 07:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Note before you read: In this post I am not trying to preach about anything, actually, what I'm writing next, can be right or wrong, I just want to see everyone's opinion. And it's about all religions in general.

---------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

Simply put, people who believe in whatever god they follow, they believe that there is an after-life after death, meaning that, life is a temporary stage before eternity. So basically, religion is a method of bringing you closer to god. Now that being said, if "the god" you believe in, is telling you to kill innocent people, then obviously your religion is wrong because it's contradicting with the purpose of everyone else.

My point is all religions have the same purpose, just follow what makes sense to you and everyone around you. If you are in doubt read more about what you are being told to do. Most of the times it's wrong and information being manipulated to suit human needs.

Some might say; "Ok, but I don't really believe there is a god or an after-life, so wtf are you talking about". Ok, ask yourself the following questions.

1- How did it all started?
2- What's the purpose of my life?
3- Why the evolution theory is still just a theory?
4- If everything was created by coincidence, then what is the soul, after if science says that the any substance can't be turned into nothing. then where does the soul goes when it leaves a living thing?.

Honestly, I don't know the answers to all of these questions. And hope everyone can give their input.

P.S. posting pics from 4chan or w/e isn't really going to add any value to the topic, and if you just want to show that your funny. reply with "Hey everyone! I'm funny! look at me!", it will help make the pages load faster.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: title miss spelled. People make mistakes

[+]
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
Server: Caitsith
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2010-05-18 07:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What is relegion?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-05-18 07:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry I just posted, and you replied like really fast, so obviously you didn't read anything.
[+]
 Cerberus.Dizzmal
Server: Cerberus
user: Dizzmal
By Cerberus.Dizzmal 2010-05-18 07:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You spelled the title wrong. On top of that it is about religion. Get ready to be flamed to death. /goodbye
[+]
 Asura.Arkanethered
Server: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2010-05-18 08:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

4- If everything was created by coincidence, then what is the soul, after if science says that the any substance can't be turned into nothing. then where does the soul goes when it leaves a living thing?.

1 - You are just as likely to find a reasonable made up answer in any scholarly or religious text. The difference is that science attempts to prove while religion pounds that it just is and not to question it.

2 - If you find the need to play the puppet and not carve your own nitch or find your own meaning to life than I think that this personal question could only be answered by you. I don't need someone else to tell me how I should life my life or feel the need to tell others how to live theirs.

3 - Sadly I am going to have to assume that you do not understand the scientific definition of the word theory. I would suggest you enlighten yourself before you start throwing it around. If you wish to judge evolution vs. religion under the same objective justification then religion cannot even be considered a theory as there are no actual ways to prove its existence beyond your personal feelings which are not valid in a logical debate.

4 - You are going to have to prove the existence of your soul beyond your own personal belief before this can even be considered a logical question.

This is not intended as a flame, you asked for personal input and I offer mine.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 08:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:

Duh (Big Bang Theory =P)

2. The purpose of life is to procreate and keep human civilization alive, what you do is your choice, whether to do what you want or follow your parent's footsteps.

3. because there isn't enough proof yet, and the theory is still being understood by scientists everywhere and different finding lead to changes in theorys. it will probably still stay as a theory for a long long time.

4.there is no soul in the body. what makes our body work is our brain. the pre-frontal lobe(right behind your forehead) is what makes us decifer the rights/wrongs of things (like murder).

DAMN YOU PSYCHOLOGY CLASS
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-18 08:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-05-18 08:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arkanethered said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

1 - You are just as likely to find a reasonable made up answer in any scholarly or religious text. The difference is that science attempts to prove while religion pounds that it just is and not to question it.

2 - If you find the need to play the puppet and not carve your own nitch or find your own meaning to life than I think that this personal question could only be answered by you. I don't need someone else to tell me how I should life my life or feel the need to tell others how to live theirs.

3 - Sadly I am going to have to assume that you do not understand the scientific definition of the word theory. I would suggest you enlighten yourself before you start throwing it around. If you wish to judge evolution vs. religion under the same objective justification then religion cannot even be considered a theory as there are no actual ways to prove its existence beyond your personal feelings which are not valid in a logical debate.

4 - You are going to have to prove the existence of your soul beyond your own personal belief before this can even be considered a logical question.

Really thanks for the input. What I know about "theory" is that it's an idea, but one step behind a "fact". The reason I'm bringing it up, is because believing evolution contradicts all religion beliefs.
 Seraph.Pikachu
Server: Seraph
user: chuuuuu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-05-18 08:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

"relegion" srsly gaiz take time to read what you write
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-18 08:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Edit: title miss spelled. People make mistakes
Seraph.Pikachu said:
"relegion" srsly gaiz take time to read what you write
chu you nub READ first
[+]
 Seraph.Pikachu
user: chuuuuu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-05-18 08:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i read it too but so many threads are misspelled lately lol annoying
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-18 08:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone! I'm funny! Look at me!
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-18 08:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen this topic before.

[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-18 08:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Note before you read:

Really thanks for the input. What I know about "theory" is that it's an idea, but one step behind a "fact". The reason I'm bringing it up, is because believing evolution contradicts all religion beliefs.

Not according to the Pope and Vatican. They actually embrace and believe the concept of evolution to be true. Believe or not, there are actually Christian scientists that work for the Vatican and they have come to embrace the theory of evolution. They have their own twist on it of course but it's much the same.

Source.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Psyence
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-05-18 09:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP You're very very right about saying "Most of the times it's wrong and information being manipulated to suit human needs." The only problem is: Even when people see this in all other religions, they are somehow unable to see it happening in their own. Even when they do see it, in order to avoid having to think about it, they'll try to rationalize it by saying things like "Yes, but it's because of some corrupt men in my religion, let's ignore the corruption and focus on God" ... This makes the problem worse because they forget that the daily decision-making in their religious organization isn't originating from God, but from these narrow-minded men, with their personal interests, limitations and agendas.

What religious people seriously need to ask themselves is: "What if all of us, including those well intentioned people who started my religion, were crazy or just plain wrong?" If you do manage to SERIOUSLY ask this question to yourself, and honestly consider the possibility (you will feel a strong urge of running away from the thought), you'll start to see life differently because all of a sudden you'll realize that your religion is just an option, another way to see things. Current religions were started long ago, back when men had incredibly funny superstitions and thought waging war to spread "peaceful" beliefs made perfect sense. Nowadays, we spread "democracy" by invading countries for financial reasons. Another noble idea turned into mass murder, just because most people don't think for themselves enough.

About scientific theories. Could we just stop assuming that God is The 50% probability against science? It's not right to assume that each have an equal chance of being right. If there is a probability, it's probably not going to be 50% anyway. If people would stop denying all the discoveries because it contradicts their religious beliefs and makes them uncomfortable, science would advance much faster. If, in order not to risk losing their sources of funding, scientists didn't have to go out of their way to avoid hurting the majority's religious beliefs, their work would be a lot easier.

Sylph.Oddin said:
Not according to the Pope and Vatican. They actually embrace and believe the concept of evolution to be true. Believe or not, there are actually Christian scientists that work for the Vatican and they have come to embrace the theory of evolution. They have their own twist on it of course but it's much the same.
This.

Now big religions, facing scientific evidence, are starting to say "Okay, God didn't create men like it says in the Bible but... he initiated evolution." ... and then, with recent discoveries, we start understanding that the universe may very well have originated from a black hole... and next they'll say "Yes but God created the black hole, which created the universe, which then allowed evolution, which then created life." Don't you see that at some point, God will have to dissipate from our mind? What if he's so different from what we thought in the first place, up to the point where his role in the universe is ridiculously distant and he just had to set everything in motion and then go back to playing solitaire?

Why would anyone want to have such a small God? A God that shrinks every time new scientific discoveries are made. A God who doesn't even correspond to the description your grand-parents taught to your parents as kids. Why not just admit that God's existence is improbable, the same way as the theory of evolution was quickly dismissed by creationists when Darwin came up with his book? It wouldn't look nice, but it would be fair. If one day there is evidence for God, you can start believing again. In fact, you wouldn't need to believe anymore... because there would be evidence.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-05-18 09:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

1. I'll agree that most religions began as attempts to explain the purpose and origin of things, including the world itself. Whether an assertion about the universe was true or false could not be easily discerned until more complex and solidified thought processes developed; the Greeks would formalize what we call reason and logic, and eventually lead to the scientific method thousands of years later.

Eventually the ideas that could be proven or disproven through empirical experiment or rhetoric outweighed in number and importance the ideas that still could not be proven or disproven. So the fuzzy body of knowledge crystallized into two distinct groups: science and religion.

The distinction is all due to the persistence of the thought processes such as rhetoric, logic, reason, scientific method, etc. These are thought processes that originated in particular cultures but have come to sweep most of the world. They may be imperfect, and it is not unreasonable that a more perfect (or at least different) thought process will eventually evolve that is to the scientific method what the scientific method was to Greek rhetoric.

2. The notion that humanity has a purpose is only evident (to me anyways) in the Abrahamic religions. Most of the pagan religions such as the Hellenic or Norse or Sumerian pantheons have an origin story for humans, but no purpose or narrative, sometimes not even for the gods themselves. The notion that we individually have personal purposes seems a mostly modern view. In Christianity and Islam, there is personal judgment but little talk of personal purpose. In the scriptures, we are all charged with the same purpose, the reverence of God. Putting a personal touch on that seems something wholly modern to me.

3. Evolution only contradicts the origin stories of religions, which are rarely the heart of those religions. Is Christianity or Judaism or Islam all about Adam and Eve? Do any of them explicitly or even imply that you need to believe in that story to function within that religion?

4. Ultimately what you're getting at is that science and logic have an internal consistency but break down when you try to talk about what's outside or before the universe and stuff like that. It doesn't bother me that they're imperfect and limited. Not being able to answer the really deep questions doesn't mean that science is useless or contrary to religion.

Basically you can ask any question and keep asking "why?" to every answer, forever. Very quickly you'll get to a point where science and logic can't help you. That is not a reflection so much on science, logic, or religion as it is a reflection on how awesome the world really is.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-18 09:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Snuffy said:
Basically you can ask any question and keep asking "why?" to every answer, forever. Very quickly you'll get to a point where science and logic can't help you. That is not a reflection so much on science, logic, or religion as it is a reflection on how awesome the world really is.

just because science and logic can't explain something today doesn't mean they can't explain it tomorrow, or 1000 years from now.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Nikolce 2010-05-18 14:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Gentlemen:
The correct answer, of course, is "What do you think?" followed by enthusiastic agreement with whatever she believes is the correct answer to her own question. It's a compatibility test of sorts and the two of you must have several key points of social/political/spiritual agreement before you can "boink".

Now guys, I am sure that your ideals are well thought out and well intentioned, but nobody cares and it just doesn't matter anyway. Learn to take yourself a little less seriously and put down the lotion bottle. There is a wonderful world of opportunity out there. Don't let your stark realism and finely crafted ideals get in the way of perfectly meaningless sexual relationships, you're missing out. Since I am way too old for that sort of nonsense let me say.....

Vitaru:
Nobody knows anything with any certainty. It's all guess work, whether you wear a lab coat or priest's robes. Take it all in kiddo, but remember not to take any of it too seriously, that is where all the trouble starts. Also, you should be leery of anyone that agrees with you too keenly. (see above) My answers to questions 1~4 are idk and try not to worry about it too much dear.

You don't want to know what I think, trust me, so quit reading now.....

Why? Because my money is on fade to black with no credit role at the end. no final justice, no bonus extra ball, just a whole lot of nothing. The big sleep, I think only the self centered super greedy would demand another life after receiving this perfectly good one. It just seems ungrateful.

"Yeah!!! and it better be a perfect never ending afterlife too with around the clock joy and final punishment for everyone that doesn't agree with me. Because if there is one thing I would absolutely need to achieve total happiness it's the knowledge that "some people" didn't make the cut. I was right, you were wrong and now I get to watch you suck flaming ****"

No that can't be right, it doesn't make any sense. But if I tell you there might not be a god then I know you will ask "then what's the meaning of life" and "how much does a soul weigh." I used to scream at the top of my lungs and ask all sorts of unanswerable questions just like you and then I discovered something wonderful.

Nobody cares what I think anyway! Plus, I don't have any of the answers either so what's the point of convincing other people of things I was unsure of in the first place? Exactly. Maybe there is a god full of fire and brimstone with a sack full of lightning bolts and maybe there is not, I personally don't care either way.

I am not afraid of death or god or hell or the devil. I am ready for whatever happens next, even if it's nothing. Also, I don't need a punishment or a reward held over my head to do the right thing. But I understand a lot of people have a hard time considering a universe without a god or a life without greater meaning. But I just can't get into the big rock candy mountain on the other side of the rainbow stuff. It just doesn't seem very likely and for some reason all these spiritual leaders want paid up front in cash. When I tell them 10% of my earnings is a good deal, I will wire them the money from heaven when I get there, they kick me out of their churches.

If you need a little belief or faith in something to help you sleep at night that's cool. Just remember this, you don't have to eat the Lima beans at the smorgasbord just because you paid for the buffet and you're win.
[+]
 Asura.Ericka
Server: Asura
user: foxxie
By Asura.Ericka 2010-05-18 14:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion was Created to divide and Concur us all~

Religion Causes confusion,
Confusion causes fear,
Fear causes Resistance,
Resistance Causes War,
War Causes Death,
Death Causes Sadness.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Seraph.Xdudemanx
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2010-05-18 15:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

one of these threads again

Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2010-05-18 15:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion teaches people that not knowing or wanting to learn about things is the best way to look at life - AKA: Ignorance is Bliss.

Ragnarok.Ruklin
user: Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2010-05-18 15:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

well here is my thought:
Religion is and has always been used as an effective way of controlling and crafting various societies. In (almost) every culture throughout history some form of religious or spiritual belief has held a strong position in the lives of the people. It is used to pass down through the generations of that society various morals and standards of living that it's citizens should follow. The after-life for each of these is generally based on the idea that you need to give people consequences (sp?) for their actions or lack there of. As for the "theory of evolution", it has become more and more clear that the "big bang" is a fairly accurate hypothesis. however, what keeps a large amount of people from considering this is the idea that your "soul" is either lost forever once you die, or that the concept of the "soul" is invalid completely. assume that the soul is something that is devoloped by religions to give people something to hold onto once this life is over, and the "theory" of evolution will remain just that. assume that their is no soul, and it becomes easier to believe in the hypothesis' of science. either way their is little empirical and concrete evidence to support religion or scientific views of how life began or why we are here. (although science is a little further ahead in this category). religion is based on faith alone, and what you read in certain texts. science is based on what we can prove and the hypothesis that we develope through this proven evidence. personally i think science wins. but meh. (sry for the extra long post)
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-08 19:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-08 20:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

OH SWEET! Another religious thread! W00T!!! I'm there dude, brb though, I need some booze to respond to your 4 questions.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-08 20:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dobrusi said:
I'm not quite sure why people get fired up if someone posts a thread on religion. I understand some Christians, for example, make people feel inferior by acting like they are perfect but everyone has their interests. I didn't always have God in my life but when I decided to live my life for him, my life has never been the same. Now, to me, everything makes sense. I would never criticize someone for their beliefs though but I wouldn't hesitate to share what God has done in my life if they are open to it.

All in all, please respect people for their beliefs because everyone is different. Have a good one guys and gals :)

That's the big thing though, Christians can't accept someone who has no faith, and Atheists can't accept someone who can blindly put faith into something without proof.
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11