Political Affliations And Reasonings Behind It

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Political Affliations and Reasonings Behind it
Political Affliations and Reasonings Behind it
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 18:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_President_Franklin_Roosevelt%27s_controversial_%27court-packing%27_plan_for_the_US_Supreme_Court

Found it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 18:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
You can't argue with a conspiracy theory.

The hell I can't! The argument will just never go anywhere.
[+]
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2010-04-26 18:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

who needs proof, his brother was the gov of the state with the biggest discrepancy in votes. hell if my brother was runnin for pres and i ran a state id do some shady ***to help his cause, but thats just me >.>
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 18:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Moondaddy said:
who needs proof, his brother was the gov of the state with the biggest discrepancy in votes. hell if my brother was runnin for pres and i ran a state id do some shady ***to help his cause, but thats just me >.>

Who needs proof in a governmental affair!

Seriously though, try to keep your own desires out of the thread as it isn't constructive in the least. You can form conspiracy after conspiracy. But they will always remain just that.
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-26 18:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

to play devils advocate as well, is there any proof that peoples votes DO do anything ?

ive always more or less leaned towards not believing in votes counting, but ive always been interested to see how/if it actually works.

IS there anyway to see how/if it works and what happens ? or is it you just have to take peoples word for it ?
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-04-26 18:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I like how people claim their vote doesn't matter, and then point to Bush v. Gore as an example.

If only a handful of people in a few counties in Florida had voted one way or the other, there would have been no debate on the matter. It never would have gone to the Supreme Court, and the results of the entire election, and arguably the next 8 years, would have been entirely different.

Okay I don't have to point to that then, how often is it that any vote tally is at break even? That's the only time my vote would count (if it mattered to begin with)

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 18:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Okay I don't have to point to that then, how often is it that any vote tally is at break even? That's the only time my vote would count (if it mattered to begin with)

That's exactly the point. If it came down to break even, you wouldn't have done anything. Put it into percentages, if break even is .001% of 5m. That's 50 votes. For a *tiny* percentage.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-04-26 18:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly! My vote DOESN'T count... Because I'm not going to change anything..

How about we just do this, we're stuck in a never ending argument, because there's two ways to see it, like glass half full or glass half empty, let's just agree to disagree..?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-26 18:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm for I don't give a ***, because my 1 vote would never make the difference.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-04-26 18:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
You can't argue with a conspiracy theory.

The hell I can't! The argument will just never go anywhere.

Well, I mean, what about all those people who voted for JFK? What if they had known that aliens were just going to kill him anyway?
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 18:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
to play devils advocate as well, is there any proof that peoples votes DO do anything ?

ive always more or less leaned towards not believing in votes counting, but ive always been interested to see how/if it actually works.

IS there anyway to see how/if it works and what happens ? or is it you just have to take peoples word for it ?

It's called voting demographics.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/exit-polls.html

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/socdemo/voting/index.html
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 18:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Exactly! My vote DOESN'T count... Because I'm not going to change anything..

How about we just do this, we're stuck in a never ending argument, because there's two ways to see it, like glass half full or glass half empty, let's just agree to disagree..?

Quotes don't wanna work >.>

"By and large, people who bust out the "my vote doesn't matter" argument are younger voters.

This means that the voter turnout increases with age. From less than 20% to over 80%.

This also means the majority of this country's social and economic policy is decided by very old people with extremely outdated notions of how the world works.

You're just kinda okay with that?"

You're just making yourself out to be blissfully ignorant.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-26 18:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Well he is right. 1 vote doesn't count.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 19:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Then 10,000 votes don't count. Amirite?
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-04-26 19:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Every political system is flawed. Every single one. Some more than others, but the flaws are still there.

Votes mean jack ***. People these days change their votes more than their toilet paper.

Nowadays people just jump from faction to faction, party to party. People vote for the coolest looking "kid" on the block.

EDIT: Oh, and if you don't vote you have no right to discuss politics or complain about your countries current political situation. If you as a civilian have the oppurtunity to vote, and you don't because you think one vote won't make a difference, your opinion is invalid where it concerns politics.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 19:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Which brings this back to the begining. Oi.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-04-26 19:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually hadn't thought about Jaerik's point that if younger people don't vote, then older people decide everything. I'm not sure that it's true that mostly younger people don't vote, the last presidential election my entire campus was in a voting frenzy and even gave out buttons and free bags of chips to kids who voted. It seemed like the vast majority of students did vote. But I don't know how the kids on my campus compare to other campuses or to the voting population as a whole. The thought of my parents and grandparents deciding everything is a bit panic-worthy. Old people are nuts. I wonder if there's a reliable way to track the ages of everyone who votes?
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-04-26 19:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said:
Which brings this back to the begining. Oi.
Lol.. See endless argument.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-04-26 19:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Making myself out to be blissfully ignorant? Those are roughly the numbers of voter turnout by age.

The #1 reason given why younger people don't show up to vote?

"My vote doesn't count anyway."
[+]
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-04-26 19:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Dang Jaerik, I say I wish I could see ages and you pop out a chart. :D I love charts. Charts put babbling data into usable information. This helps my thoughts!
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 19:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Slipispsycho, not you dude.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-26 19:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Then 10,000 votes don't count. Amirite?
What does 10,000 votes have to do with my one vote?

You can argue that if everyone who didn't vote because they thought that theirs wouldn't count that the total number of votes would make a difference.

But guess what. If I go vote, that doesn't mean the other 9,999 people are going to go vote, and in the end it's still just that singular vote, which won't make a difference.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-04-26 19:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh. Gotcha. =D Sorry.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 19:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Take the same logic and spin it backwards. Flawed logic because it works both ways.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-26 19:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said:
Take the same logic and spin it backwards. Flawed logic because it works both ways.
Not rly, because you can't say if I, me alone, goes out and votes, that it'll make a difference while I could guarantee you it wouldn't.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-04-26 19:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

How is it politics brings out arguments, even when it's not an actual political issue?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-04-26 19:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

What are those values on the x-axis? And why does the Vietnam bars differ between all three graphs?
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-04-26 19:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

But I could say if a whole 10k goes out and doesn't vote, it could make the difference. Arguing about your laziness doesn't make a valid point. People can be active or inactive. The group of 10k you would be in says "Well, even if I vote it doesn't mean others will!" is justifying your ignorance. I could say, "Because I don't go out vote, doesn't mean others won't!"
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-04-26 19:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Bahamut.Serj said:
Not rly, because you can't say if I, me alone, goes out and votes, that it'll make a difference while I could guarantee you it wouldn't.

Are you serious? I'm tired of hearing this silly black and white, childish argument over and over again.