Japan Becomes Largest US Debt-Holder

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Japan Becomes Largest US Debt-Holder
Japan Becomes Largest US Debt-Holder
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-22 20:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Dahra said:
(sorry, didn't mean to chew out numbers with you. just thought it was weird that i missed this on npr. also i get peeved about this japan > china sentiment.)

No worries, didn't take it that way.

I'm baffled by your Bloomberg link in response to my Bloomberg link. They seem to be contradicting one another. In the same paper. Maybe they're examining the debt number different ways? I'm stumped.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-22 20:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be concerned about China's willingness to lend aid during a national disaster. My position is about their willingness to practice foreign policy that would destabilize the Asian sphere.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 20:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Scarmiglione said:
There was a term for the sort of funded debt, where someone or country would be in debt to another country or person just to have increased concern from the lender. Is china more or less likely to assist us if any national disaster would strike due to the debt we hold? I wonder if it isn't just politics, maybe holding N.Korea in line by manipulating the Chinese.
Wait we get meaningful aid from other countries when there are disasters...?
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-03-22 20:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Scarmiglione said:
There was a term for the sort of funded debt, where someone or country would be in debt to another country or person just to have increased concern from the lender. Is china more or less likely to assist us if any national disaster would strike due to the debt we hold? I wonder if it isn't just politics, maybe holding N.Korea in line by manipulating the Chinese.
Wait we get meaningful aid from other countries when there are disasters...?

I will through this out there, what country helped us during Hurricane Katrina? I dont recall any, anyone know otherwise?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-22 20:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
I will through this out there, what country helped us during Hurricane Katrina? I dont recall any, anyone know otherwise?

A metric asston of them, with total offers of $854 million.
[+]
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-03-22 20:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

thank you for the link

Wow,China helped us, but Japan did not <.<
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-22 20:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:

O.o?

"The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided up to $300,000 in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators if they received requests from the U.S. for such assistance. One Japanese individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD 1 million from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts.[13]"

China offered a whole lot more, though.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 20:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

That sounds like alot until you realize that the total cost of Katrina was over $100 billion.

While like in Haiti our navy pretty much just took over a large portion of what was going on and supply most of the well supplies. And eventually kinda shared responisibility with the UN and haiti itself
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-03-22 20:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

O.o?

"The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided up to $300,000 in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators if they received requests from the U.S. for such assistance. One Japanese individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD 1 million from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts.[13]"

my bad, I was reading something else

International response
Main article: International response to Hurricane Katrina

Over seventy countries pledged monetary donations or other assistance. Notably, Cuba and Venezuela (both hostile to US government themselves) were the first countries to offer assistance, pledging over $1 million, several mobile hospitals, water treatment plants, canned food, bottled water, heating oil, 1,100 doctors and 26.4 metric tons of medicine, though this aid was rejected by the U.S. government.[110][111][112][113] Kuwait made the largest single pledge, $500 million; other large donations were made by Qatar and United Arab Emirates (each $100 million), South Korea ($30 million), Australia ($10 million), India, China (both $5 million), New Zealand ($2 million),[114] Pakistan ($1.5 million),[115] and Bangladesh ($1 million).[116]
India sent tarps, blankets and hygiene kits.

Bahamut.Bennett
Server: Bahamut
user: Bennett
By Bahamut.Bennett 2010-03-22 20:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Go Canada!
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-03-22 20:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is something I found strange

Despite receiving aid from around the world, there was also a heavy dose of criticism from around the world, including accusations of racism that were revealed at the international level across global press. Quotations from the UK Mirror such as "Many things about the United States are wonderful, but it has a vile underbelly which is usually kept well out of sight. Now in New Orleans it has been exposed to the world." were common.[121]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-03-22 20:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, here is more info

Actual funds used

An article in the April 29, 2007 Washington Post claimed that of the $854 million offered by foreign countries, whom the article dubs "allies," to the US Government, only $40 million of the funds had been spent "for disaster victims or reconstruction" as of the date of publication (less than 5%).[49]
Additionally, a large portion of the $854 million in aid offered went uncollected, including over $400 million in oil (almost 50%).[49]
[+]
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2010-03-23 06:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Or even, if things would go badly with N.Korea, who would china help more? US, who has a major debt to them, or N.Korea, geographically and political neighbors?

When they bombed the WTC on september 11th, we had quite a positive response from the world. It was quite inspiring to hear all the responses from other countries.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-03-23 07:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

O.o?

Wonder why, Jaerik, why China would offer more than Japan..hmmm <scratches head>, Wondering What Kim Jong Il is after???? hmmm???
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-03-23 09:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

O.o?

Lol, the Chinese should first tend to their farmers in the backlands.
 Garuda.Snuffy
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Snuffy 2010-03-23 23:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Lol, the Chinese should first tend to their farmers in the backlands.
And yet we have people in our backlands in need of assistance, but we give more aid to foreign countries then to them. Ever been to Appalachia?
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2010-03-27 14:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Americans only learn about countries after we invade them. People thought Georgia was a state, some still do and dont know that there is a country named Georgia, which was part of the former Soviet Block.

This reminded me of something:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_the_Kingdom_of_Hawaii Most people think hawaii is a state also, but in reality we overthrew it for capitalistic gain lol...

same thing we should do to like mexico i think, annex them and open up tons of businesses since they all want to be americans anyway
 Garuda.Poetsave
user: Poetsave
By Garuda.Poetsave 2010-03-27 15:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

It means the US is currently in debt to Japan by $768 billion.

Maybe it is time the US starts charging Japan for the military we provide them, or allow Japan to have their own military again and use that money we spent maintaining a defensive military there to pay off the debt.

And now I have been come what I have silently made fun off by talking about political or social issues on a FFXI game forum!

>.<
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-27 16:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Poetsave said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Maybe it is time the US starts charging Japan for the military we provide them, or allow Japan to have their own military again and use that money we spent maintaining a defensive military there to pay off the debt.

And now I have been come what I have silently made fun off by talking about political or social issues on a FFXI game forum!

>.<
Japan has their own military. Jaerik posted a link to a wiki page listing the world's largest militaries. Japan is ranked 7th in the world.

Furthermore, the US does not provide them with a military. However, we do sell them a lot of our military technology. Key word being sell in that sentence.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-03-27 16:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

O.o?

Wonder why, Jaerik, why China would offer more than Japan..hmmm <scratches head>, Wondering What Kim Jong Il is after???? hmmm???

That's North Korea.

By rainlab 2010-03-27 16:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

O.o?

Where did Kim Jong Il come from? Perhaps this lends credence to some earlier statements made in this thread...
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-03-27 16:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

rainlab said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

O.o?

Where did Kim Jong Il come from? Perhaps this lends credence to some earlier statements made in this thread...
Not China nor Japan >_>
 Garuda.Poetsave
user: Poetsave
By Garuda.Poetsave 2010-03-27 16:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Garuda.Poetsave said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

>.<
Japan has their own military. Jaerik posted a link to a wiki page listing the world's largest militaries. Japan is ranked 7th in the world.

Furthermore, the US does not provide them with a military. However, we do sell them a lot of our military technology. Key word being sell in that sentence.

Ok that says they spend the 7th most on military expenditures, it has nothing to do with how larger their military is.

Their force is more of a national guard then a World Power military.

Either way the US would be able to save money and pay down that debt if Japan payed the US for the expense of being their of if the US left and let Japan set up their own Military (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard).

and to cite wiki ... and incorrectly at that thinking expenditures = size of military ......
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-27 16:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Nuh uhhh. He was born on Baekdu Mountain in Japanese occupied Korea
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-03-27 16:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Aerokii said:
-sighs- Bah. It's starting to feel like since we lack currency, we are being traded as such.

But oh man I feel so much better about it being Japan... even if we did beat them in WW2 making this borderline ironic.

huuum, Sorry but WE didn't beat Japan in WW2 because Canada wasn't even deployed there. All we did was throw them brutally into internment camps.
 Unicorn.Hardwood
By Unicorn.Hardwood 2010-03-27 16:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
So what does this mean

Truthfully. The US owing Japan 700b and some change is no where as interesting and troublesome as to why China sold the debt in the first place. That is what is most troubling indeed.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-27 17:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Poetsave said:
Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Garuda.Poetsave said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

>.<

Ok that says they spend the 7th most on military expenditures, it has nothing to do with how larger their military is.

Their force is more of a national guard then a World Power military.

Either way the US would be able to save money and pay down that debt if Japan payed the US for the expense of being their of if the US left and let Japan set up their own Military (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard).

and to cite wiki ... and incorrectly at that thinking expenditures = size of military ......
I was wrong to say that expenditures = the size of a military. The meaning I was trying to convey was that because Japan spends so much on their military it is foolish to think the US gives them a substantial amount of assistance beyond normal.

How would you like to measure the ability of a military? Active, Reserve, Paramilitary, Funding, Technology? Depending on how you view it we will get different answers.

My point was Japan has a much larger military presence than you let on. They have an Air force, Navy, and Army. Your view that America is some sort of body guard 24/7 for Japan is in error.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-03-27 17:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Heee. icwutudidthar.
 Unicorn.Hardwood
By Unicorn.Hardwood 2010-03-27 17:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:
Japan is a small country. How can they be the largest? :P

I actually never understood this line. By land area, Japan is larger than every country in Europe except Ukraine. (In the 75th percentile world-wide.) It's the world's second largest economy, and has the 10th highest population.

Actually japan is quit small to us americans because it is. Its a little less then 144,000 square miles where as California is just under 164,000. Also 80% of that land mass is forests/mountains. So most americans see Japan as a little country, because compared to them it is.
 Unicorn.Hardwood
By Unicorn.Hardwood 2010-03-27 17:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Smurfo said:
Seraph.Rafik said:
Americans only learn about countries after we invade them. People thought Georgia was a state, some still do and dont know that there is a country named Georgia, which was part of the former Soviet Block.

This reminded me of something:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_the_Kingdom_of_Hawaii Most people think hawaii is a state also, but in reality we overthrew it for capitalistic gain lol...

same thing we should do to like mexico i think, annex them and open up tons of businesses since they all want to be americans anyway

Technically almost all of america was someone else land and we took it. Only part of america truly legally obtained is Alaska.

Manifest Destiny anyone? Onward..