Japan Becomes Largest US Debt-Holder

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Japan Becomes Largest US Debt-Holder
Japan Becomes Largest US Debt-Holder
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-03-22 16:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:
Japan is a small country. How can they be the largest? :P

I actually never understood this line. By land area, Japan is larger than every country in Europe except Ukraine. (In the 75th percentile world-wide.) It's the world's second largest economy, and has the 10th highest population.

Why do Americans always seem to think Japan is roughly the size of Rhode Island? Is it some weird compensation thing?

Hades.Altimaomega said:
id like to see them try and collect it..

They don't have to "try and collect." All the US's debt-holders have to do is sell all their treasuries -- they don't need US approval to do so. You can't force them at gunpoint to hold on to them.

Of course, there's no reason for them to do so as long as they're making a boatload of money off financing our debt.

It's not surprising really. I've been in a class in high school where a 16 year old girl couldn't find Canada on the world map... I'm sure most people aren't all that educated about other countries aside from their own.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-22 17:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:

I actually never understood this line. By land area, Japan is larger than every country in Europe except Ukraine. (In the 75th percentile world-wide.) It's the world's second largest economy, and has the 10th highest population.

Why do Americans always seem to think Japan is roughly the size of Rhode Island? Is it some weird compensation thing?

Hades.Altimaomega said:

They don't have to "try and collect." All the US's debt-holders have to do is sell all their treasuries -- they don't need US approval to do so. You can't force them at gunpoint to hold on to them.

Of course, there's no reason for them to do so as long as they're making a boatload of money off financing our debt.

It's not surprising really. I've been in a class in high school where a 16 year old girl couldn't find Canada on the world map... I'm sure most american's aren't all that educated about other countries aside from their own.

Our education system covers plenty about other countries, thank you.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-22 17:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
IMO, it's not about the education system as much as it is the individuals. I know there was a lot more stuff taught to me in HS than I retained.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-03-22 17:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:

Hades.Altimaomega said:

It's not surprising really. I've been in a class in high school where a 16 year old girl couldn't find Canada on the world map... I'm sure most american's aren't all that educated about other countries aside from their own.

As does ours :D token retards dont paint accurate pictures of the whole most of the time

HURR MISS CALIFORNIA'S IGNORANCE IS INDICATIVE OF AN ENTIRE COUNTRY'S LOL
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-22 17:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
IMO, it's not about the education system as much as it is the individuals. I know there was a lot more stuff taught to me in HS than I retained.

Completely agree. You can teach your socks off, if the pupil isn't listening then its all for squat.

But the poster I quoted was stating that people weren't taught, which I know certainly isn't the case in the UK.
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

As does ours :D token retards dont paint accurate pictures of the whole most of the time

HURR MISS CALIFORNIA'S IGNORANCE IS INDICATIVE OF AN ENTIRE COUNTRY'S LOL

While you are right but there is a lot of evidence (inc some of the posters on here) that some americans don't have a great understanding of the world outside their country.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-03-22 17:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

I think this one nails it. Around 80% of all Americans don't even own a passport, so I guess it's more of a mentality as well.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-03-22 17:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

Completely agree. You can teach your socks off, if the pupil isn't listening then its all for squat.

But the poster I quoted was stating that people weren't taught, which I know certainly isn't the case in the UK.

But he was talking about Americans. :o

Are you going back that far to the colonial times?
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-22 17:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

But he was talking about Americans. :o

Are you going back that far to the colonial times?

While that would be fun, I think I will pass.
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-03-22 17:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
While you are right but there is a lot of evidence (inc some of the posters on here) that some americans don't have a great understanding of the world outside their country.

As I'm sure some English people dont either :( I think there was a funny video on youtube where instead of some pompous englishman asking fatties in NYC where the great wall of china is, someone asking british people about the rest of the world and the responses were lulzy
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-22 17:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

As I'm sure some English people dont either :( I think there was a funny video on youtube where instead of some pompous englishman asking fatties in NYC where the great wall of china is, someone asking british people about the rest of the world and the responses were lulzy

Oh yes, there is plenty of idiots here to.

But generally (and yes I am talking in generalisations) those idiots in the UK are slightly less vocal and 'obvious' as their american counter parts.

I did see an Australian questioning the american public which was similar to the one you describe.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2010-03-22 18:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:

It's the same with Great Britain, I think. And I think Americans see Europe as a whole rather than individual countries forming a continent.

wait... Europe is made of multiple countries?

I just found out that Japan is the 61st largest country out of 233, I did not know that. Also, it is larger that 28 states, I am impressed.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-22 19:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said:
I just found out that Japan is the 61st largest country out of 233, I did not know that. Also, it is larger that 28 states, I am impressed.

It also has the seventh largest military in the world by expenditures, which surprises the hell out of most Americans. Especially when they find out the US sold them all their best military tech to build it.

Japan has purchased most of the US military's favorite toys except nuclear weapons, but that's really only on a technicality. They have the nuclear components, and the warhead / missile technology, and estimate it would only take a couple weeks or months to throw the two together.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Luckydeville
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Luckydeville 2010-03-22 19:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

pssh money isn't real
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-03-22 19:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:

It also has the seventh largest military in the world by expenditures, which surprises the hell out of most Americans.

Not surprising at all. The evidence is available for all to see.

[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-22 19:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:

It also has the seventh largest military in the world by expenditures, which surprises the hell out of most Americans.
I'm just waiting for someone to start the theory that Japan is going to bankrupt the US then attack...

oh wait...
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-03-22 19:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:

Not surprising at all. The evidence is available for all to see.

Hell Who needs Nuclear Warheads to defeat any country, when you can either use the raw materials to build alot of these babies, or build a specific few that can interjoin to make 1 big ultimate war machine...I can see it now, a transformer laid waste to North Eastern ( Input Country name here) as for example.
 Seraph.Dricent
Server: Seraph
user: Dricent
By Seraph.Dricent 2010-03-22 19:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Screw it I should move to japan and live there. ATM it's a better place to live than us.
[+]
By dahra 2010-03-22 19:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

check your stats.

http://www.ustreas.gov/tic/mfh.txt
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-22 19:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

dahra said:
check your stats.

http://www.ustreas.gov/tic/mfh.txt

Your stats are from 2009. Article I linked is from last month, after China sold off a bunch of their treasuries.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Dahra
user: dahra
By Lakshmi.Dahra 2010-03-22 19:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

"China trimmed its holdings of U.S. debt by 34.2 billion U.S. dollars in <b>December 2009</b>, leaving Japan as the largest holder of U.S. Treasury securities, the U.S. Treasury Department reported on Tuesday."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-22 19:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You're linking to "period" stats. Basically, investment series. They're delayed by several months under that model.

From Bloomberg:

"Japan’s holdings rose 1.5 percent in December to $768.8 billion while China’s dropped 4.3 percent to $755.4 billion."
[+]
 Asura.Kiowa
Server: Asura
user: Kiowa
By Asura.Kiowa 2010-03-22 19:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

if you think for one second think that the U.S.A did not sell nuke rights to any country you are highly mistaken
that is the fault of any freaking nation you can only try and do you best and keep something secure. at today's date and knowledge pft. school boys can make.
further more U.S.A loves japan with no holds bar
 Seraph.Rafik
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-03-22 19:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Americans only learn about countries after we invade them. People thought Georgia was a state, some still do and dont know that there is a country named Georgia, which was part of the former Soviet Block.
 Asura.Kiowa
Server: Asura
user: Kiowa
By Asura.Kiowa 2010-03-22 19:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

we live on a learning curve
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 20:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Americans only learn about countries after we invade them. People thought Georgia was a state, some still do and dont know that there is a country named Georgia, which was part of the former Soviet Block.
To be fair stuff over there changes way more often then we update our text books
 Lakshmi.Dahra
user: dahra
By Lakshmi.Dahra 2010-03-22 20:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm. how about this?

bloomberg/bw march 15th

(sorry, didn't mean to chew out numbers with you. just thought it was weird that i missed this on npr. also i get peeved about this japan > china sentiment.)
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2010-03-22 20:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Its sort of odd, that Japan has such a hand in our Public Debt. Looking at wikipedia (please don't chastise me, some think its a valid source), we can see that Japan is #2 in the world in percentage of Debt to national GDP and the United States is lower down the list. The national debt in Japan is bigger than their economy, our debt is only around 40% of our GDP. Their economy is listed at US$5trillion, where ours is USD$14.4 trillion. Our debt may be bigger, but Japans is bigger in terms of proportion to GDP.

I used wikipedia for all the numbers, I saw something on CBS about economies the other day. Japan may have the biggest chunk of our debt, but their debt is proportionally more.
 Seraph.Rafik
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-03-22 20:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Seraph.Rafik said:
To be fair stuff over there changes way more often then we update our text books

The only reason I know, is because I was born over there when it was still called Soviet Union <.< and lived through the collapse of Communism. I was actually in Moscow when it happened and it wasnt pretty.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-22 20:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't fool yourself, China still holds a substantial amount of US debt.

This may frighten some people, but I actually find comfort in China's large holding of US debt. It provides them a financial incentive to see the US do well. Without the back and forth between China and The US I fear the types of foreign policy China would unleash in the Asian sphere. It hasn't ever had good relations with Japan or Taiwan, two countries The US continues to support. There are violent protests by the Chinese people any time a Japanese government official visits the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo that honors Japanese war dead (including 14 war criminals).

In Zhongguancun on April 9, 2005 there was just such a protest by roughly 10,000 students from Beijing University and Tsinghua University -- China's M.I.T. and Harvard. They were demonstrating against Japan and what they considered its failure to properly acknowledge the atrocites it committed when it occupied China during World War II. They marched through the heart of Beijing and pelted the Japanese Embassy with bottles, tiles, stones, and eggs. They smashed electronic billboards advertising Canon cameras and other Japanese electronic products. They kicked and hammered Toyota cars and trucks. They broke windows of Japanese banks and restaurants. And at the end The Chinese police -- The People's Armed Police -- had buses waiting to take them back to their classes. Exclaiming through loudspeakers "You have vented your spleen, enough now"

Imagine this type of state sponsored hate, only with less restraint.
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2010-03-22 20:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a term for the sort of funded debt, where someone or country would be in debt to another country or person just to have increased concern from the lender. Is china more or less likely to assist us if any national disaster would strike due to the debt we hold? I wonder if it isn't just politics, maybe holding N.Korea in line by manipulating the Chinese.