First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11
 Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey 2010-03-11 22:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Beouvle said:
My thoughts on FFXIII so far:

Well, I played pretty much all day yesterday, and overall I'd say I'm fairly dissapointed so far.

I, for one, enjoyed exploring, which is now absent with the "travel from point A to point B" approach they've taken so far.

I also enjoy *gasp!* grinding. I like to get obscenely strong compared to the enemies I'm supposed to be fighting, as a result of a mixture of grinding/leveling and obtaining the best equipment and weapons I can. FFXIII limits how powerful you can become IN RELATION TO what part of the story you're at, and as you know throws armor out the window and severely limits the amount of weapons you obtain.

I also think that the whole "party leader dies/game over" idea is weak.

Another thing that seems a little cheap is how easy the battles become once you switch between paradigms. For example, I can use all my ATB as the leader, switch to another paradigm setup, and all of a sudden my ATB is full?? Does that sound right to you? It doesn't seem to work reliablly everytime, but it still makes the battles easy.

The story started out fairly slow and weak, but at the point i'm at now it's picked up considerably and is definitely engaging.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts, and should be taken as such. My favorites in the FF series were VI and XII (of the numbered series) and Tactics is my favorite of all time (where my username comes from). I didn't expect FFXIII to be the same as previous entries obviously, but I did expect it to engage me more mentally than it has. I also miss my exploring, armor, and growing extremely powerful :( .

there is something you didn't mention :S FFXIII is like FFXI for one thing... No gils at the end of a figth, which force you to farm like a little pig for somes "sellable" items... & guess what... alike FFXI, the drop rates are totaly shitty, i'm just hoping for a TH on the crystanium soon >:S
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-03-11 22:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

When I play a RPG I like to take it slow, wander off the path and begin to grind/overpower myself so when I do get back to the main story I can pwn the ***out of things.

FF13 there is no way to overpower one's self. Your growth is hindered by how far into the story you progressed and there is no way to "Get ahead":(
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2010-03-11 22:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If u have the guide in chapter 5 there a trick to get ahead. Theres 6 frag leeches near an elevator, kill them and ride the elevater up/down, repeat.

I maxed hope and lightning doing that.
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
Server: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2010-03-11 22:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Daddyx said:
I've played a few hours into XIII and like it well enough for what it is. I think the FF titles we grew to love changed for better or worse when Squaresoft became Square-Enix. Just sayin'.

This.

Games these days are so over-hyped and have suffered when it comes to producing something worthwhile. If they spent half the marketing budget and put it towards an actual RPG, then somehow included the same story, we could really have something there.

Id get similar experiences if I put the movie "Avatar" into my ps3 and just wildly tapped the X button on my controller throughout it.

While 13 is a beautiful game graphically and possesses a decent storyline (thus far since im still "watching" it), I wouldnt consider this an RPG. Its very linear, it lacks actual choices, and at no time do I actually feel like Im assuming the role of any of these characters as the story unfolds. I can deal without the towns and NPCs for the most part, but at least make up for it with a decently challenging battle system. I was challenged more by playing Parappa the rapper.

Its by far not the worst SE has ever produced when it comes to FF titles. X-2 will be holding that crown of thorns for a long time to come... at least until 15 comes out.
 Hades.Altimaomega
Server: Hades
By Hades.Altimaomega 2010-03-11 23:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

im by far no fan
Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
Diabolos.Daddyx said:
I've played a few hours into XIII and like it well enough for what it is. I think the FF titles we grew to love changed for better or worse when Squaresoft became Square-Enix. Just sayin'.

This.

Games these days are so over-hyped and have suffered when it comes to producing something worthwhile. If they spent half the marketing budget and put it towards an actual RPG, then somehow included the same story, we could really have something there.

Id get similar experiences if I put the movie "Avatar" into my ps3 and just wildly tapped the X button on my controller throughout it.

While 13 is a beautiful game graphically and possesses a decent storyline (thus far since im still "watching" it), I wouldnt consider this an RPG. Its very linear, it lacks actual choices, and at no time do I actually feel like Im assuming the role of any of these characters as the story unfolds. I can deal without the towns and NPCs for the most part, but at least make up for it with a decently challenging battle system. I was challenged more by playing Parappa the rapper.

Its by far not the worst SE has ever produced when it comes to FF titles. X-2 will be holding that crown of thorns for a long time to come... at least until 15 comes out.

im no fan of X-2 but atleast it had some damn gameplay to it ><
[+]
By Drachen 2010-03-11 23:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess you're still on chapter 2.
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
Server: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2010-03-11 23:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No, 4 :/ But if I have to play into a game 4 hours for it to get just a shred of gameplay doesnt that take the "G" out of RPG? And where the hell is the RP?
 Hades.Altimaomega
By Hades.Altimaomega 2010-03-11 23:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

final fantasy games have always taken alittle time to get going, but im 6hrs in and omg the nothingness of it...
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-03-12 10:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone have a link to the soundtrack yet? :)
 Alexander.Garlend
Server: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-03-12 10:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.filefront.com/15426023/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Original-Soundtrack.rar/
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-03-12 10:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you! Downloading now. :D
 Ramuh.Reeve
user: Reeve
By Ramuh.Reeve 2010-03-12 10:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I got this yesterday and so far I'm bitterly disappointed with it, fair enough - the graphics are amazing and the story line so far has kept me intrigued enough to keep playing it but it has to be said, I'm not enjoying it /sadface

Just got past the part where you "defeat" the Shiva sisters by defending?? then pressing x?? when a little bar fills up, and then the sisters turn into a Motorbike and Snow gets on it and doesn't use it to escape the hoards of baddies.

I dunno, maybe it will grow on me a bit and in a few weeks time I'll delete this post and defend the game til the end of time, but my first impressions of this game are really bad.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-03-12 10:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The story is engaging so far. I'm on Ch.6 now and it's mostly the same as you described to this point. I understand that in Ch.11 that it opens up to allow side quests and free roaming. That's what I'm looking forward to at this point.
 Seraph.Antonious
Server: Seraph
user: Antonious
By Seraph.Antonious 2010-03-12 10:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Chapter 4 here:

I'm really enjoying the story and visuals. Same as everyone else though, my favorite 2 FF games are 2/4 and 3/6. This is polar opposite of those games.
I'm looking forward to what was said about chapter 11 though I have also heard that it doesn't open up quite as much as you would think. Also, the sidequests are more hunts than actual quests. Kinda of makes sense since there isnt a world map for secret locations for Armor, Weapons, Eidilons, etc.
All that aside, I'm enjoying the game as just that. A game, not a FF title, it just doesn't seem like one.
 Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey
By Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey 2010-03-13 17:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

For thoses wondering.

I just got to "Gran Pulse" i wanted to say, courage to thoses thinking the game is too linear & that we're alway restricted in the crystanium, etc.

Actually the game became incredibly interesting, i wont say anything, to avoid the said "spoil" but from there you will be able to exp alot & get yourself pimped.

Just be a little patient, thats just too bad SE decided to make the game that way, you will encounter a solid 25h of game before getting there.

PS: sorry for the bad english.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-03-13 17:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Chapter 10 on disc 3... i FINALLY have control of who's in my party and FINALLY can unlock any class on any character...

It's a shame the spot i'm at the mobs are super *** tough and only give like 200-350CP for like a 5 minute fight -_-

The free roam in chapter 11 better be *** good or i'm going to rage >_>

Oh and that chapter 9 boss is BS btw...
 Shiva.Moogleking
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Moogleking 2010-03-13 17:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i like the story and graphics and battle so far. im almost on chapter 4. i dont mind not grinding or doing mini quests. this is a great game imo. i do enough grinding in ff11 and other rpg.
 Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey
By Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey 2010-03-13 17:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
The free roam in chapter 11 better be *** good or i'm going to rage

I found a spot with 4 mobs to kill "they will all 4 spawn in the fight" , you can kill them in 1 min just doing a stupid combo, at the end of the fight you get 3k CP, so i let you judge ^^;

in 10 mins 30k CP, what do you think of that ? =D

For the free roam, you will be able to judge, for my part i think its too big lol
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-03-14 01:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

jesus mother mary of *** god...

free roam on grand pulse is TOO *** big @_@..........

*** me.

Seriously?! Yeah i need to find some good farming spots because ***just got complicated @_@ it's like the game just now began... and it's disc 3 and like 25+ hours into the game -.-

dammit all.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-03-14 01:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey said:
there is something you didn't mention :S FFXIII is like FFXI for one thing... No gils at the end of a figth, which force you to farm like a little pig for somes "sellable" items...

FF XII is like that too... and it does make a lot more sense than finding gil on a wolf or some phantom in a forest
 Ragnarok.Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-03-14 01:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
While 13 is a beautiful game graphically and possesses a decent storyline (thus far since im still "watching" it), I wouldnt consider this an RPG.

You guys have to stop pretending you didn't know that a traditional JRPG has not a single role playing element in it. Back in the days, Enix and Square just stole the term because it sounded like dragons and swords and ***. They don't care what you think it should mean. They don't even speak English.

When I play an FF game, I expect it to be linear and to restrict my choices because that's the only way a game can have a good storyline that makes sense. I don't expect to identify to one of them in particular and pretend that I'm him. Instead, I expect it to feature a new cast of characters and I want to be able to witness the interaction between those characters, helping them achieve their objective as a group. It's been like this since 1988 if you leave XI out since it's an MMO, so what's the big deal about FF XIII being restrictive? The Midgar part of FF VII was just as restrictive, wasn't it?

Other companies will just squeeze the juice out of an old successful franchise, making clones after clones until they runs out of ideas for their "remakes". Think Street Fighter, Zelda, Castlevania, Mega Man... But you have no idea what the next FF will look like. It's been that way since 1988, for the better or the worse; and let's hope that'll never change.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2010-03-14 03:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm. after reading all this...it pretty much told me what i already knew from reading crap loads of reviews.... a linear cs fest. im actually watching my friend play right now(he's on chapter 6 i guess). i mean...where the f**k is the open world roaming,lvln up,getting new cool weapons and armor....the chick dies and game over...WTF. i wont be buying this crap game,it reminds me too much of 10(wich sucked hard core). thank you SE for over hyping and destroying a great rpg series(except 9,10,and 10-2). im gonna go grab white knight chronicles instead. <dont fix it if it aint broke SE>
 Cerberus.Scalor
Server: Cerberus
user: Scalor
By Cerberus.Scalor 2010-03-14 03:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is there no real choise involved with the crystarium(sp)?
At first it looked like we'd be allowed to really specialize our characters, but after you the play the game for a few hours, you end up unlocking every last node on it.

The only choise left is the order in which you do the unlocking, but the end result will be the same: a fully unlocked crystarium tree.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-03-14 03:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Scalor said:
Why is there no real choise involved with the crystarium(sp)?
At first it looked like we'd be allowed to really specialize our characters, but after you the play the game for a few hours, you end up unlocking every last node on it.

The only choise left is the order in which you do the unlocking, but the end result will be the same: a fully unlocked crystarium tree.

I don't remember hearing people complain back in the days when you could learn all the spells with any character in FF VI. Or when you learned a new spell by leveling up in FF IV (having them all at the end of the game duh!).

And now people are saying these new games are not living up to the series lol People will always complain. This game is awesome, you can tell they put a LOT of effort into making it beautiful. I remember hating VII when it came out. I was 14 and I liked to *** about the games I was disappointing at.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-03-14 03:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Bartimaeus said:
I heard there's no towns.

lol

I just stepped into one. Chapter 7

But it didn't have a shop or inn I have to admit. It had to do with the storyline.

Still trying to figure out why it's a bad thing :)
 Asura.Dethcloud
Server: Asura
user: Dethcloud
By Asura.Dethcloud 2010-03-14 03:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there are two towns but you just go right through them. Not a whole lot to do in them other then progress the story. And about ten minutes ago, I beat the game and holy crap (spoiler...ish) the final boss is a complete butt hole. Probably spent more then an hour on him. He's a cheap *** alright.

Edit: Sorry, three towns.
 Hades.Altimaomega
By Hades.Altimaomega 2010-03-15 14:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
While 13 is a beautiful game graphically and possesses a decent storyline (thus far since im still "watching" it), I wouldnt consider this an RPG.

You guys have to stop pretending you didn't know that a traditional JRPG has not a single role playing element in it. Back in the days, Enix and Square just stole the term because it sounded like dragons and swords and ***. They don't care what you think it should mean. They don't even speak English.

When I play an FF game, I expect it to be linear and to restrict my choices because that's the only way a game can have a good storyline that makes sense. I don't expect to identify to one of them in particular and pretend that I'm him. Instead, I expect it to feature a new cast of characters and I want to be able to witness the interaction between those characters, helping them achieve their objective as a group. It's been like this since 1988 if you leave XI out since it's an MMO, so what's the big deal about FF XIII being restrictive? The Midgar part of FF VII was just as restrictive, wasn't it?

Other companies will just squeeze the juice out of an old successful franchise, making clones after clones until they runs out of ideas for their "remakes". Think Street Fighter, Zelda, Castlevania, Mega Man... But you have no idea what the next FF will look like. It's been that way since 1988, for the better or the worse; and let's hope that'll never change.

wow. u expect it to be linear and restrict your choice's... exaclty how many FF games have ever been like that???

and the midgar part dont count cause well, lol its only a part...
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-03-15 14:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to go into a town and buy stuff when everyone wants to kill you, you know...
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11