Should I Liquidate My Gear? (Another LV99 Thread)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Should I Liquidate my Gear? (Another LV99 Thread)
Should I Liquidate my Gear? (Another LV99 Thread)
 Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone 2010-03-01 16:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, noes! I must sell my HQ elemental staves and Aristocrat's Coat because it's gonna be lamesauce in 4 to 9 months!!!!
 Seraph.Liberata
Server: Seraph
user: Liberata
By Seraph.Liberata 2010-03-01 16:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Zicdeh, you mention new AF. I've heard this elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it on the Abyssea page. Can someone point me in the right direction?
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-03-01 16:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing really on it but a pretty picture...

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/addon/index.html
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-03-01 16:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone on Odin who would like to liquidate all their stuff can go ahead and send me their haguns and blaus and extra hq staves. ~.^
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-03-01 16:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Liberata said:
Zicdeh, you mention new AF. I've heard this elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it on the Abyssea page. Can someone point me in the right direction?

It's sort of an unofficial term right now I believe. The picture you see of armor on the Abyssea page is "Supposed" to be the Paladin and Black Mage "AF3" but who really knows? Some things don't translate right, or are easily mistranslated, the most likely scenario is someone asked "What equipment do we see there" (or some such) and being the enigmatic *** they are, the SE team would reply something along the lines of "Think AF3 for job"
[+]
 Bismarck.Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-03-01 16:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Seraph.Liberata said:

It's sort of an unofficial term right now I believe. The picture you see of armor on the Abyssea page is "Supposed" to be the Paladin and Black Mage "AF3" but who really knows? Some things don't translate right, or are easily mistranslated, the most likely scenario is someone asked "What equipment do we see there" (or some such) and being the enigmatic *** they are, the SE team would reply something along the lines of "Think AF3 for job"

They announced AF3 during the fanfest itself.
 Siren.Talonn
Server: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-01 16:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Liberata said:
They have just announced it. Only PLD and BLM? are seen as a set right now. We will likely hear more after the first update/close to the second update when they release the first Add-on

Edit:
Also, SE announced that there will be new areas and monster put into/added to the old areas as well. Thus meaning we can party in a different spot than normal in the same zones as before. Since there is no new expansion (IE WoTG) there won't be a mass amount of new areas. We will likely see additions to old maps or smaller areas added on to old areas that will house these new monsters so that we can level on they in a relatively familiar place.

I really don't think anyone should be getting rid of EVERYTHING because they think new stuff is going to come out and blow the old stuff out of the water. As mentioned previously in the thread, the new set of enhancement missions will prove useful in keep old gear up to date. They are even allowing the enhancement of Relic and Mythic weapons so that they stay up to date as well. I seriously think people will get burnt when they sell all their junk then have a hard time getting it back because people are augmenting them all already.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-03-01 16:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
Old world will still be capped at 75. No reason to get rid of your gear. Calm down everyone, it will be okay. Take a deep breath.

They're removing Promathia zone caps in June, why would they recap other zones at 75?

My personal guess is the Promathia zones are going to be be re-scaled to be level 82-106. level monsters. Sort of like what is happening with WoW's Cataclysm expansion. Look at completely useless and obsolete zones, and re-scale them to increase traffic.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-03-01 16:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinako said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Seraph.Liberata said:

They announced AF3 during the fanfest itself.

I thought so, but I wasn't there, so I wasn't going to be like THIS IS WHUT WAS SAID.
 Titan.Xanakali
Server: Titan
user: Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2010-03-01 16:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Liberata said:

http://twitter.com/vanafest2010_en
On what is currently Page 2:

"Tanaka showed a picture of the current idea for PLD and BLM "AF3"."
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-03-01 16:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we sure that the gear wouldn't still be useful at all? I mean, certain AF1 for instance is still really useful as swap-ins even at 75, there's no reason not to think that certain 75 gear couldn't still be even slightly useful at 99. I bet you anything some jobs are still using AF2 or AF2 +1 by the time they reach final cap. And that goes for some of the other "pimp" gear out there too.

I'd go ahead and just use what I've got until I know what the stats are on the new gear.
 Bismarck.Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-03-01 16:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Old world will still be capped at 75. No reason to get rid of your gear. Calm down everyone, it will be okay. Take a deep breath.

They're removing Promathia zone caps in June, why would they recap other zones at 75?

My personal guess is the Promathia zones are going to be be re-scaled to be level 82-106. level monsters. Sort of like what is happening with WoW's Cataclysm expansion. Look at completely useless and obsolete zones, and re-scale them to increase traffic.

This, Really... whats the point in removing caps if you're gonna just put more caps on it? And whats the point of getting Lv99 if 90% of the zones are gonna be capped at 75? Come on now.
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-01 17:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Asura.Dameshi said:

It is highly likely that the cap removal is so that people can finish CoP quickly. Why would CoP zones need traffic? It is likely that the world will be a total uncap and allow people to move freely. Having CoP areas uncapped opens them up to higher level BCs or mission monster for the new moogle quests. I doubt that it will be to increase traffic or make everything harder in a low level mission area.
 Phoenix.Authority
Server: Phoenix
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-03-01 17:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind, I created my OP on the basis of there being 12 Blau Dolch and 9 Haubergeon +1s on the Phoenix auction house lol.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-03-01 17:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Talonn said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Asura.Dameshi said:

It is highly likely that the cap removal is so that people can finish CoP quickly. Why would CoP zones need traffic? It is likely that the world will be a total uncap and allow people to move freely. Having CoP areas uncapped opens them up to higher level BCs or mission monster for the new moogle quests. I doubt that it will be to increase traffic or make everything harder in a low level mission area.

I always considered the level caps an idiot filter. If you can't make it through, you don't deserve sea. But with 99% of the FFXI population with at least 1 level 75 job, the Promathia zones are essentially wasted server space. They aren't adding very many new zones, certainly not enough for 24 levels of experience past 75, unless they plan to make that quest-only or something. Just how I see it, rescaling Promathia zones (Particularly the easy to access Promyvions) to serve as High Level (In certain spots) experience camps makes the the most sense.

Though as a way to give me room to wiggle out of a corner, I don't know how large the Walk of Echos is going to be. It might be large enough. Though all of ToAU isn't large enough for everyone to merit in.
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-01 17:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Authority said:
Keep in mind, I created my OP on the basis of there being 12 Blau Dolch and 9 Haubergeon 1s on the Phoenix auction house lol.
No doubt people are selling all their stuff. Because a vast amount of rumors have brought them to believe that all this current stuff will be garbage. Most people hear 1 thing then lose themselves over it without looking at the additional info. Im sure if people found out that they could augment something like a Hagun up to 80 times with Damage and Delay enhancements they wouldn't be selling it.

Just a thought ^^
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-03-01 17:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

just ask yourself 1 question:

"Am I an idiot"

If you answer yes: then sale everything.

If you anwer No: then don't sale..buy all the stuff cheap then re-sale it when the masses come back looking for all the gear they sold in haste.

"I literally think to myself "would an Idiot do this" if yes then I don't do it" ~Dwight (I think I screwed up the quote but you get what I mean)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-03-01 17:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Bartimaeus said:
No offense OP, I have nothing against you but.. this is the most stupid idea ever.

If you're getting rid of gear now for some speculated non-existent stuff you THINK is going to be put in the game, just quit. Quit now. :)

There's nothing stupid about hedging your bets. Let's use a peacock charm as an example. I bought mine for 1,900,000 gil. The last PCC on my sever went for 1,800,000 gil.

Let's say i sell my PCC for that. Best case scenario, an easy to make lvl 79 neckpiece pops up with 14 acc and 14 attack. The price quickly settles to 300k. PCC drops to 300k as well. Not only did i net myself 1.5 mil in exchange for losing level sync versatility, i dumped an item before it shaved 1.5 mil off its value. Pretty good deal.

Now let's look at the worst case scenario. No new gear. The game is hemorrhaging players right now anyway, a good portion of who are stripping their accounts and selling their gil. My server isn't up for a merge yet. More PCC's and less players means that PCC demand isn't going to increase by any means. Let's say i bought my PCC back for what i sold it for, which is more than I'd probably end up paying. Oh noes, 0 gil lost and i had to rock a chiv chain for a little while.

Personally, I'm keeping my PCC, and all my other gear, partly because i can't be arsed to sell it all and replace it on the cheap, and partially because i don't like being gimper than i have to be, even for a little while.

Nevertheless, i wouldn't call someone who did stupid by any means.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-01 18:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Lucasta said:
i have not started mass liquidation yet but i am considering selling all of my ancient currency pending more information on this update. If in fact the level cap is in effect for all zone then any chance of concievably finish my relic well be forfeit.

i dont see any current relic with the damage that could stand up to a, oh say, LV 115-120 Hnm. Even if there will be relic "upgades" judging by the pattern of difficulty to obtain anything truly superior in this game i will go out on a limb and say the relic upgrade (if you are a regular joe like me and not the elite super ls leaders) will probably take you until all servers are shut down. hell even if you can low man regular dynamis with the new update can you imagine the scheduling for runs? now you have potetially 100s of groups of 6 or even less fighting for dynamis time slots.

so yeah... i may as well at least get my gil for all the years of collecting currency.
I guess you missed the bit where they augmented an Excalibur, eh?
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-03-01 22:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's a bad idea to temporarily sell of some of your items, depending on:
*How much you plan on playing until the update
*How useful the item is to you
*The probability with which you think the item will become obsolete
*If the price of the item hasn't already plummeted
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-03-01 22:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's another idea I read in one of the other threads as to why they're selling so many things. Maybe people are selling the higher costing items because they're gonna be cheaper on the server they're going to. That could be a reason, but if it is, I think it might backfire. Just a thought.
 Hades.Altimaomega
Server: Hades
By Hades.Altimaomega 2010-03-01 23:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

im /shocked not one person has mentioned this...

i have been leveling cor recently, because ive been bored with my other jobs. Then outta BAM outta left field, SE says LVL99!!!

well what i say to that is goodbye crappy cor, that i did/didnt want to play over my other jobs and sell all its gear netting 6mil overnight.

so yeah mabey ppl are just planning on going back to there main jobs they actually like to play.
 Phoenix.Authority
Server: Phoenix
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-03-01 23:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is, my server isn't one of the ones Merging.
 Unicorn.Celestius
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Celestius 2010-03-02 01:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

New areas/mobs for leveling? lmao all they need to do is gimp colibri exp. and VOILA! all that is old is new again. Anyone that played before the XBOX gimp knows there are area/mobs besides colibri camps.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-02 02:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't. There are too many people doing that already either for the same reason or QQ I'm selling everythign quitting and selling my account or some other reason. Chances are prices are going to dip as the market gets alot of people dumping into it while at the same time less people wanting to buy.

When the panic is over and everyone realizes omg it's not so bad and try to buy things back the price will go back up possibly even higher.

I remember back when SE announced they were gimping magic but having increasing resist rates on stuff. I sold my sorc ring so fast that I got it sold before the panic for a little over 1mil. Shortly after the update I realized hey it's not so bad rebought sorc ring at 500k. A couple weeks later it was back up to 1mil. Like a month later 1.5mil
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2010-03-02 02:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Celestius said:
New areas/mobs for leveling? lmao all they need to do is gimp colibri exp. and VOILA! all that is old is new again. Anyone that played before the XBOX gimp knows there are area/mobs besides colibri camps.

All of which will be packed as hell come June. Yeah, we don't need new areas and mobs for exp. -.-;
 Pandemonium.Seraphin
Server: Pandemonium
user: Tamago
By Pandemonium.Seraphin 2010-03-02 02:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:

During Vanafest they introduced the increased level capped by showing 2 players leveling to 76 in Caederva Mire. So I doubt that old world will be capped to 75. How did this rumor even started?
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2010-03-02 02:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Seraphin said:
Asura.Dameshi said:

During Vanafest they introduced the increased level capped by showing 2 players leveling to 76 in Caederva Mire. So I doubt that old world will be capped to 75. How did this rumor even started?
Thats the cleanest reason I've seen for not level capping existing areas, thank you.
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-02 02:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Drteeth said:
Unicorn.Celestius said:

All of which will be packed as hell come June. Yeah, we don't need new areas and mobs for exp. -.-;
so your saying on those mobs that you level to 75 on your going to hit 99 on too? right, cuz that works........
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-02 02:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Seraphin said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
This rumor got started cause people don't want to accept the reality of the situation. Anyways where are you people seeing this info? I'm looking at the official site but it offers next to nothing lol