New Scam Warning!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New Scam Warning!
New Scam Warning!
First Page 2 3 4
 Diabolos.Anthaio
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: anthaio
By Diabolos.Anthaio 2010-01-05 22:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

A new scam is recently happening on our server, and I thought everyone in the FFXI community should know about it, so they do not fall victim to it, as some of my good friends have.

Recently, shouts have been appearing in every city claiming that 'they' will get you Dynamis, Sky, Sea, and other gear and item drops for a gil fee. For instance Byakko's Haidate, Kirin's Osode, and other nice gear can be yours if the price is right. They will ask you for the gil in advance, and tell you meet them at the place they are doing the run, where you will then be invited into the alliance and you will be able to lot on your gear item.

The problem is... They will take your gil or equal value item trade, pass this off to someone else, and logout. There is no party, no alliance, and no invite, where they tell you to meet. Nobody is coming. They just got away with your hard earned gil or gear. Since this gil or gear was already passed off to other characters, and another, and another, etc. it cannot be easily tracked down. By banning the original player that made the promise of gear, it has no effect on the rest of the 'RMT chain' of players involved, since your gil or gear was already passed off to (possibly several) other suspected RMT characters.

A few of my friends have fallen into this scam, and lost millions of gil, only to find - nobody is there.

The GM's say they can't do anything about it, and consider your stuff 'lost.' Even with chat logs of agreements among players, and transactions/trades, the GM's can't really do much - or so they say.

This is an outrage! Isn't that what GM's are for?

Unless you know for sure you are dealing with a reputable linkshell that professionally merc's (mercenary) out their services like this, I strongly advise everyone not to do it. Report them, and put a damper into another suspected RMT tactic of stealing your gil so they can sell it online.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

[+]
 Seraph.Jacon
Server: Seraph
user: lvicious
By Seraph.Jacon 2010-01-05 23:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

well that's been going on for ages by rmt. They did that specifically for sky items for a long *** time back in the day. I remember seeing the shouts in Jeuno for that bs.

People who actually were dumb enough to give gil to some random person who probably spoke broken engrish deserved to have been taken like that.

..lol @ people giving someone your gil in advance. Sorry I know they were your friends and it sucks but they know better now. Vid games are no different from real life in a lot of aspects..

and people scamming and robbin your *** blind is just one of them.

Welcome to ffxi 2004-2005.
[+]
 Garuda.Mameshiba
Server: Garuda
user: Mameshiba
By Garuda.Mameshiba 2010-01-05 23:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Good to know, thanks for the warning.
Sorry that your friends fell into the RMT plans. These guys are really a problem.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-01-05 23:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't give your gil out without seeing the services rendered.

Meaning, if it doesn't drop, tough for them.

Don't pay until you see the work.
[+]
 Seraph.Jacon
By Seraph.Jacon 2010-01-05 23:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

or.. or better yet don't do business with rmt and just find a good ls that do what you need. They might not want your gil but they might let you pay them back in other demeaning ways. HA.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eldevine
Server: Pandemonium
user: Eldevine
By Pandemonium.Eldevine 2010-01-05 23:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Don't give your gil out without seeing the services rendered.

Meaning, if it doesn't drop, tough for them.

Don't pay until you see the work.

^ this!

People can be so dumb sometimes lol.
[+]
 Garuda.Mameshiba
user: Mameshiba
By Garuda.Mameshiba 2010-01-05 23:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

oooo pretty icon Eldevine.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-05 23:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah seriously. My ls when we started selling omega stuff would always get payment right after drops so no one would be unhappy.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eldevine
Server: Pandemonium
user: Eldevine
By Pandemonium.Eldevine 2010-01-05 23:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Mameshiba! ^-^ <3
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-01-06 00:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone giving millions to a random player is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and doesn't even derserve to have that money in the first place...

I mean I've seen one RMT doing that as well, the dude was level 50, had no sky access... You must be a complete retard to trade a such person several millions while being in Whitegate and without even seeing the LS that will kill the NM which drop what you need.

When you buy valuable items from a Linkshell you usually do pay only when the item are in the treasaure pool, only trade the money to someone who is "well known" (pearlholder / sackholder), you also make an agreement in game, etc. That's common sense, well I guess not for everyone (some people still get owned by phishing /tells as well :s)

Should only allow players to use FF XI after doing a small Internet 101 and MMO 101 tutorial.
Quote:
The GM's say they can't do anything about it, and consider your stuff 'lost.' Even with chat logs of agreements among players, and transactions/trades, the GM's can't really do much - or so they say.

You can only get your gils/items back if the scammer still have them. If it's sold (to other players), used at AH or w/e, that's perfectly logical, GM won't give stuff back to you.

That would be like duplicating gils/items.
[+]
 Seraph.Jacon
By Seraph.Jacon 2010-01-06 00:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

mandatory tutorials wouldn't make a difference lol. Most believe since it's a vid game it's a magical world of happy, trustworthy friends and little lephreacauns who give you gold just for being nice.

Not some ahole Chinese or Korean rmt who is busting his *** in a sweatshop and would just assume sell his mother for cash not to mention
take video game currency from someone living in bucketville, idaho.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2010-01-06 04:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
Anyone giving millions to a random player is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and doesn't even derserve to have that money in the first place...
I don't agree with Antipika on much, but I do on this.

Gilseller or not, RL or ingame, above all else: Caveat emptor.
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-01-06 14:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Recently, shouts have been appearing in every city claiming that 'they' will get you Dynamis, Sky, Sea, and other gear and item drops for a gil fee.

Instant red flag and about as dumb as shouting something like 'Give me 200k and I'll get you the win for ACP/MKE'

Plus IMHO it kinda devalues the whole item. When someone says 'wow you got [x item]!' and you say 'yeah, I payed someone to get it for me', it doesn't sound nearly as good as saying you worked for it or won the lot for it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-06 15:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This scam has been going on since 2004. It's not new. The fact that people still fall for it doesn't make it new.

Stop giving your gil to random people you don't know.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-01-06 15:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you give your money to people that you don't know to acquire items for you, you deserve this 100%.

It surprises me that time after time people are still falling for these joke scams. It really surprises me how some of the players get through in their normal lives. Do they walk around blindfolded?

[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-06 15:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

PM me you bank details, I will take out £5,000 and you will receive a brand new Ferrari in the post.

Please along 10 to Infinity days for delivery.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-06 15:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
PM me you bank details, I will take out £5,000 and you will receive a brand new Ferrari in the post.

Okay, I PM'd you. Where's my Ferrari?!
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-01-06 20:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

Waiting for you somewhere in Nigeria :d
[+]
 Garuda.Kyree
user: Kyree
By Garuda.Kyree 2010-01-06 20:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Players used to do something similar to rmt in sky, they'd offer to pay for a drop have the rmt pass the item and then refuse to pay up. :o
[+]
 Diabolos.Otahar
user: Takustar
By Diabolos.Otahar 2010-01-06 21:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey! i saw this last week on Diabolos too. People were actually interested. I was sitting in Jueno LFP while this was going on all day. My LS leader told me that they take money in advance and you tag a long with them to get the drop. *red flag* there. I'm a pretty trusting guy, but I've heard people getting screwed over for much less even from people they hang out with everyday.

over all, If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Try someway to get a fair transaction.. If there is a way LOL >=)
[+]
 Cerberus.Geldric
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2010-01-06 22:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, anyone that gets scammed for everything deserves it. They either have no experience or knowledge of business transactions or are just plan stupid.
[+]
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-01-07 00:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If I was gonna have something merc'd for me, I honestly wouldn't pay up until I saw the item. That just gives way too much room for them to take the gil and run. :/ Honestly though, I prefer taking the effort to work for it myself. You may or may not get screwed over, but if you do at least you haven't lost anything but time.

Sorry that happened to your friends though. Maybe hopefully, they won't fall for it again and more people will be warned.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chibixzero
By Diabolos.Chibixzero 2010-01-07 01:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If your get hit by one of these your HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and you should not play this game, I mean come on whole shouting is the red flag there.

You were stupid to fall for it too bad.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-01-07 02:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Eldevine said:
Asura.Korpg said:
Don't give your gil out without seeing the services rendered. Meaning, if it doesn't drop, tough for them. Don't pay until you see the work.
^ this! People can be so dumb sometimes lol.

Lol yeh you gotta be lacking on the old grey matter to fall for something like that, why in the blue hell would you give millions to complete strangers until the item was lying in the treasure pool.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-07 20:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

It is now nearly 48 hours and I have not received my Ferrari. Beware of Argettio of Kujata, he's a scammer. He will ask you for your bank details, promising a Ferrari in return. Upon receiving your details he will take the money (and not just the amount he said he would, he'll take the lot) and you will not get this Ferrari.

Take care around this new scam, it seems legit so you might well be the next victim. =(
[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2010-01-07 21:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

another one of the many reasons that people should simply stop paying for rare/ex drops and do the *** work themselves.

I've never paid for a single rare/ex item in this game, of which I have many (incredibly rare ones, at that). It's possible, just time consuming. But then so is making gil... so what the *** people?
 Hades.Ica
Server: Hades
user: Ica
By Hades.Ica 2010-01-07 22:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

^ some people would rather craft/farm/fish/whatever they do to make money, save the gil and then buy the item, than do a fail event with a fail group of people for months on end before obtaining the drop.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-07 22:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

^Then find a new linkshell.
 Valefor.Mattyc
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Mattyc 2010-01-07 22:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

tip: earn your items dont buy them.
 Hades.Ica
Server: Hades
user: Ica
By Hades.Ica 2010-01-07 22:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a good LS, I wasn't speaking about myself.

However, if I needed ONE drop from ONE event I'd be more apt to buy it than join a LS especially if I knew I'd just be leaving after I got it cos I'd have no reason to stay.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4