How Much Enfeebling Magic Is Enough?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » How much enfeebling magic is enough?
How much enfeebling magic is enough?
First Page 2
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-11 13:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I am now at the point where as Rdm I have 349 Enfeebling magic (With elemental staffs, so no cheating and using daggers/Fay Sword)and the only thing I am missing is the Enfeebling earring +3 for a total of 352.
The idea of 352 was consuming me for awhile but I'm starting to wonder..

At what point do you think Enfeebling magic becomes redundent? When should you go ok... Instead of the +3 on the feet or +3 On the earring, I should use Int or Magic ACC? Test seem inconclusive so I am just wondering what other people have found work best for them.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-11 13:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I can get 330 Enfeebling Magic on RDM quite easy.

330 Enfeebling + 10 MAcc + 103 INT/MND lands ***on most anything.
 Valefor.Ivaan
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2009-11-11 13:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

im not an expert but i have 315 skill and i never get resisted unless something is immune or that rare chance. From what i heard 315 and a HQ staff and your golden.
 Fairy.Lilman
Server: Fairy
user: Lilman
By Fairy.Lilman 2009-11-11 14:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

350 Enfeebling is way too much. 310-315 is probably a good bet, but really, that's a lot too. You should focus on INT/MND, For ex. Errant/Mahatma Houppelande instead of AF body, things like that.
 Valefor.Ivaan
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2009-11-11 14:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i was gonna say 350 skill sounds extremely high but i didnt wanna get flamed for it lol. Not that its a bad thing but i agree instead of going that high throw on int and mnd ^_^
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-11 14:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont have trouble landing on ANYTHING and for things like kirin and the like Ill keep the 349 but I have been thinking perhaps I could get even more proceration on things like para 2 on lower level mobs... Idk just some thoughts
[+]
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-11 14:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Tomorrow I will post what my int/mnd in full 349 gear is for bind and Para. If another red could do the same and give your skill/Int-or mnd just for comperasion it would be appricated
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 14:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Chances are with that set there are other peices you could get that offer more equivalent macc then the skill gear you are wearing
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 14:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Also are you getting 352 enfeebling? 276 cap +16 merits puts you at 292. Max from gear without using weapons is +53... so where is the other 7 coming from. Master caster latent?
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-11 14:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what you are casting.

If it is para/slow you should be using the minimum skill you need to land the spell (so then you can load up on MND).

But I am going to assume you are talking about constant effect enfeebles (INT or MND based), for this, to maximise the landing rate you need to:
1) Reach dStat>10 (stat can be int or mnd)
2) Load up on as much skill as you can

Based on most mobs have less than 105 INT or MND, I aim to reach 115+ stat (which should cover nearly everything bar kirin, bv2 and a few other oddities) then load up on m.acc/skill.

So I use 332 skill, 10 m.acc and 110(mnd)-117(int) stat (mithra MND sucks), my sets are far from complete and need a lot of work, but they land on most things.
 Asura.Lordgenbu
Server: Asura
user: Lordgenbu
By Asura.Lordgenbu 2009-11-11 14:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

330 Enfeebling is breaking the last tier on it so anything after that MND and INT but.. Still you don't need that. Rofl
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2009-11-11 14:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

In my experience with HNM for example, there's definitely a difference between 315 and 352. I wouldn't go so far as to say 315 will stick on anything but the 330 figure being tossed around is good enough for almost anything. I use about 327 and I have a 352 set if I need it but 327 does the job for me on 95% of mobs.
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-11 14:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes to the question on Mst. Cst. Mitts.

Current Bind set up is http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=121156
Have full enfeebling merits, Int merits, and Ice acc 5/5.

It still needs work but its good enough to hold Sky Gods full duration 90% of the time. w

(And before the gripping comes I know moldavite dosent help I just currently do not have something else for the slot. Hoping casandra earring set isnt to hard to come by for the magic acc.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-11 15:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Goliard clogs >> Avocat.

And yes, you need a second earring.

Otherwise a nice set (although as I mentioned I would use more stats).
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-11 15:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If isle wasnt stingy and Se didnt suck so hard... I would definetly use Goliard lol
 Fairy.Lilman
user: Lilman
By Fairy.Lilman 2009-11-11 15:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's good, but needs more INT. Bind's strength is dependent upon INT, so even if you land it in full Enfeebling, w/o a strong INT base, it will not stay too long, or through very much.

Pieces I'd change would be,

AF Body -> Errant/Mahatma
Altruistic -> Rainbow/Prism/Gleeman's Cape
Avocat Pigaches -> Goliard Clogs
Ice Grip -> The Grip that has +1 INT on it, the name escapes me at the time.
Master Casters -> Yigit Gages(Or Errant Hands)

Yes, that lowers your total Enfeebling but should make for a stronger Bind macro.

Also, Total skill does not directly effect your procs on slow/para/etc. Landing the spell is based on Enfeeb and M.Acc, where as procs are based on the amount of MND you have over an opponent, that's why it's best to lower your enfeebling for slow/para, raise your MND, and see the difference. Will you get resisted every now and then? Sure. But the spell's recast is short, mp cost isn't too great, and it's very much worth it in the long run.
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-11 15:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a short rebutle though; Bind not lasting through much. I can bind a doll at Despot camp and it will take 1200-1500 damage before my bind breaks (usually on puffs at despot camp) but I definetly see what your saying in the MND areas and thats what im concerned with atm.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-11-11 15:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

almost all stuff out there can be enfeebled with potency gear.
I use "low" skill/high mnd gear on all mobs. i dont have sets on here for bind and such, this is a mix out of stats/skill.

but here is my MND set:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=65062

as you can see... not even a Staff :P and can even enfeeble stuff like Omega with that setup constantly. While it never would work on gods... but they are "evil" anyways XD
not 100% sure since i am not logged in atm, but i have 307 skill with that setup.

this mnd setup is still by far not done, but a way in the direction i want it to have :)
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-11 16:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats alot of damn MND lol. Nice though. I have always heard that there was a int cap for blackmage nukes... Is it possible that could be the same for MND though?
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-11-11 16:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I currently have two sets for MND based enfeebs.
One with 335 skill +10macc and +30ish MND witch lands on mostly anything.
And i have one set with 310 skill +5macc and +53 MND witch I rarely see resists on.. But.. I do occationally get resisted on the high-skill set too, so i suggest you just have two sets for the MND based ones, and try the high-potency set first, if that gets resisted, just use the other set and make sure it lands.
For the INT based ones, just use full skill\macc+ and INT where you cant get skill\macc.

Edit: From my experience, Bind lasts longer with more skill, and INT seems to do nothing for duration. It's either a resist, or not, and personally I go for just not getting resisted, and it's full duration allmost every time on anything it can land on.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-11 16:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Kvazz said:
I currently have two sets for MND based enfeebs.
One with 335 skill 10macc and 30ish MND witch lands on mostly anything.
And i have one set with 310 skill 5macc and 53 MND witch I rarely see resists on.. But.. I do occationally get resisted on the high-skill set too, so i suggest you just have two sets for the MND based ones, and try the high-potency set first, if that gets resisted, just use the other set and make sure it lands.

I do the same, my high MND set is pretty lol, but I am working on it.
Hades.Kvazz said:
For the INT based ones, just use full skill\macc and INT where you cant get skill\macc.

Edit: From my experience, Bind lasts longer with more skill, and INT seems to do nothing for duration. It's either a resist, or not, and personally I go for just not getting resisted, and it's full duration allmost every time on anything it can land on.

I agree with this view (and never seen any testing to suggest anything else).
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-11-11 16:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

/highfive Argettio
 Alexander.Zykei
Server: Alexander
user: Zykei
By Alexander.Zykei 2009-11-11 17:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

330 Skill is kinda high IMO but I'm not sure HNM wise. For everything else, should be fine with 307.

This is my MND set:http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=61940
A few more things and it'll be as complete it could be ^^.
The thing is, I've obtained Alkalurops recently and wonder if its worth keeping? Between my Wand/shield set and Alkalurops/raptor strap+1, I'm trading 4MND for 20Macc. Thoughts?
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-11-11 17:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Zykei said:
The thing is, I've obtained Alkalurops recently and wonder if its worth keeping? Between my Wand/shield set and Alkalurops/raptor strap 1, I'm trading 4MND for 20Macc. Thoughts?

I'd keep the staff, it'll allow you to land high-potency spells on even higher mobs.
I personally use HQ staffs even on my potency-set, but if I ever get Alkalurops I'd use that over any wand\shield or HQ staff on a potency-set anyday. That staff is sex for enfeebs!

By Areis 2009-11-11 18:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to draw the analogy to Blm casting. There are 2 "sets" which have become prevalent (afaik) 320/120 & 330/130.

300/100 being minimum reasonable for manaburn where you can assume near no resists.

320/120 being a standard set for resistant mobs (the equivalent of the 315~ skill listed above)

330/130 being for extreme resistant mobs

For Blm these are "targets" to shoot for, and maximize your MATK afterward.

I would imagine for Rdm you can set yourself fo 320~ skill base and max Int/Mnd, and 330+ with maxed Int/Mnd for similar results.

In general for getting to these targets: (unless I'm mistaken)
2 stat ~= 1 skill ~= 1 Macc
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-11-11 18:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Areis said:
Just to draw the analogy to Blm casting. There are 2 "sets" which have become prevalent (afaik) 320/120 & 330/130.

300/100 being minimum reasonable for manaburn where you can assume near no resists.

320/120 being a standard set for resistant mobs (the equivalent of the 315~ skill listed above)

I would imagine for Rdm you can set yourself fo 320~ skill base and max Int/Mnd, and 330 with maxed Int/Mnd for similar results.

Meh.. 1 INT give 1 macc when you have more INT than the mob.
the 320\120 set it based on the old kings ect, where they usually dont have more than 110 INT, so this would add up to 330 MACC.
On TOAU HNMs ect that set wouldnt work, so you'd need more skill\int.
On RDM it's safer to just go for high skill, as this is way easier to obtain.

Edit: And INT wont add dmg to our int-based enfeebs!:p
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-12 02:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Areis said:

I would imagine for Rdm you can set yourself fo 320~ skill base and max Int/Mnd, and 330 with maxed Int/Mnd for similar results.

It is a nice analogy, but the difference is a BLM is trying to maximise damage, so they need to find the minimum amount of skill needed to land the spell on the target, so they can get their damage as high as possible.

With a RDM we are only interested in sticking the spell (assuming constant effect, so not para/slow), then there is no loss from over loading skill.
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-11-16 15:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Areis said:
With a RDM we are only interested in sticking the spell (assuming constant effect, so not para/slow), then there is no loss from over loading skill.

Think you said it perfect right there
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-16 15:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
It is a nice analogy, but the difference is a BLM is trying to maximise damage, so they need to find the minimum amount of skill needed to land the spell on the target, so they can get their damage as high as possible.

That's kind of true... But, most mobs WILL begin resisting spells after several casts, so... You want duration as well as having it land to reduce the number of casts it takes.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-16 15:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bind and Gravity durations appear to be completely random though (or at the very least I've never seen any tests which suggest otherwise) so you might as well land them. No mob should live long enough to build resistance anyway.
First Page 2