How Much Enfeebling Magic Is Enough?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » How much enfeebling magic is enough?
How much enfeebling magic is enough?
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-16 15:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Tbest said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
It is a nice analogy, but the difference is a BLM is trying to maximise damage, so they need to find the minimum amount of skill needed to land the spell on the target, so they can get their damage as high as possible.

With a RDM we are only interested in sticking the spell (assuming constant effect, so not para/slow), then there is no loss from over loading skill.
That's kind of true... But, most mobs WILL begin resisting spells after several casts, so... You want duration as well as having it land to reduce the number of casts it takes.

Are you saying duration is effected by stats?

My understanding has always been duration in the case of sleep is fixed, and in the case of bind, gravity etc the duration is random with no proven method to change it.

Obviously on top of that, you have partal resists which also effect duration (1/2, 1/4).
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-16 15:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I've ever heard, Mnd/Int affects the duration of the spell.
 Lakshmi.Andromida
Server: Lakshmi
user: Andromida
By Lakshmi.Andromida 2009-11-16 15:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

From personal experience I find that somewhere between 300-310 is plenty for normal use, as for gods and stuff I haven't done much experimenting so I couldn't say for sure with those. As a side note I have full merits in Wind and Ice accuracy.
Fairy.Tbest said:

With Slow and Paralyze MND will make them more potentent (ie Paralyze will prock more) I think anyway
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-16 15:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Tbest said:

Well as I said, I aim for 110-120 'stat' then load up on skill/m.acc for constant effect enfeebles, for viarable effect spells I have a few sets (varying levels of MND and skill).

So hopefully, which ever it is, I have it pretty well covered.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-16 15:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Slow duration is fixed like sleep. Forget the exact time but its the same as phalanx... used to time the 2 together when farming zeni and stuff all the time. I generally notice greater duration with more skill/mnd/int depending on the debuff on those without fixed times. I mean just compare a pimped out rdm to a crap one... you will notice a difference. Also I don't care how good your potency set is if you don't land your going to build resistance on any worthwhile mob and might as well not have casted or put more skill/macc on
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-16 15:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

*Nods.* Not saying it's a bad way to go about it. Generally for myself, I load up on as much Enfeebling / Mag. Acc as I can get for enfeebling. Then throw on my Mnd/Int sets if doing an ES cast of something.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-16 15:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I don't notice a difference in duration between a pimped RDM and a crap one (unless the crap one can't land said enfeeble) with bind/grav.

EDIT: Just realised I'm not clear; I mean that INT doesn't seem to affect it at all.

EDIT2: Argh, not clear again. I hate being tired. I personally haven't seen any evidence that duration of Bind/Grav is anything but random with a possible basis on overall magic accuracy - INT alone doesn't seem to change it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-16 16:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about int... but I definitely have better duratoin than most ok geared/unmerited rdms I talk to. And it's certainly a bit better than my blms.
 Remora.Eriuddo
Server: Remora
user: Eriuddo
By Remora.Eriuddo 2009-12-08 11:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no conclusive test anywhere that INT or MND will help silence/bind/sleep/gravity in any way further than the magic accuracy granted. It's more of a piece by piece comparison than a total skill comparison, as your skill isn't going to change which piece is better.

For slow and paralyze, you want to stack as much MND as possible.. very few mobs will require more than a HQ staff + Duelist's Chapeau + Warlock's Tabard + merits, freeing up quite a few spaces to pile on MND.
 Bismarck.Singular
Server: Bismarck
user: Singular
By Bismarck.Singular 2010-01-06 09:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure INT has no effect on potency for Bind, but does add MACC.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2010-01-06 10:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You want a decent mix of the stat that modifies the potency of the spell as well as enfeeb skills. You don't have to land every time -- what's the use if para rarely procs but you land it on the first try?

I was happy if I could land slow2 on Khim and Cerb at least once every 2-5 tries without threnody and never using /blm. Bind/grav and sometimes sleep are a different story, especially bind if you are a rdm, not /nin, solo kiting something that runs many times faster than you and can kill you in a few hits like demon NM's in dyna-X or summons for the ToAU kings.

each thing you fight is different too -- I had an enfeeb set for Khim/Cerb that was totally different than the one I used in merit or sky/sea farming. Then another that was different for soloing on rdm or blm. Play it by ear and see what works best for you. I always hated people who read posts and numbers like a bible and never had any proof for themselves or others besides they saw it on a forums somewhere.

Wait ... you saw this on a forums now ... hmm, might want to ignore me too then. This post never happened :-P
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-01-06 10:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I never noticed a difference in the duration on grav\bind when stacking more int than just stacking more macc\skill.
So personally I just spam skill\macc then put INT where i cant get the others.
It's just resists that affect the duration, so it's better to just not get resisted >_>
Potency-gear on slow\para is really handy, and it helps, alot.
Allso, sleep is a fixed timer.

Sleep1: When unresisted, lasts 60 seconds.
Sleep2: Lasts a maximum of 90 seconds when unresisted.
By Albatross 2010-01-06 11:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I have seen, INT never seemed to effect the duration of grav or of bind, but getting resisted definitely has an impact on how long it would last, which is why I'm a big advocate for stacking Skill and Macc on anything where potency makes no difference.

However, when it comes to para / slow, you pretty much want to stack as much mnd as you can while still landing the spell, I'm currently sitting on +80 and I can tell you that my tanks love me for it, it also makes a huge difference when trying to solo mobs like Cactrot as well.
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Zolan 2010-01-06 12:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Since starting this thread I have built a 330/119 set on puffs(120+ casting Para/Bind etc..) And so far I have to say I really do not notice a diffrence.

On High level mobs I do see more resist to the point its just annoying and I switch to my old macros. I will continue testing and try to get a higher Skill/Int set maybe 330/130 eventually? But with my current gear I think I will mainly stick with 349.

And to add to the Bind comments. Bind either lands or it dosent. You can get the same Bind duration as long as it lands, I do believe how much damange the Bind can take does vary though.
[+]