How’d You Bring Naegling Back In Line?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How’d You Bring Naegling Back in Line?
How’d You Bring Naegling Back in Line?
By K123 2024-10-08 14:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
DRG has a billion stronger options than Naegling unless the mob is strong against piercing
wot
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-08 15:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
DRG has a billion stronger options than Naegling unless the mob is strong against piercing
wot

OK maybe I exaggerated a bit with the billion. Every time I've played DRG or played with a DRG though, they're doing gobs of damage and using a polearm. It's not the best for segs because, especially in Sheol C, there are a lot of mobs strong against piercing, but for stuff like Sortie, Ody, Ambu, Omen, Dynamis, etc. you can absolutely tear ***up on DRG with polearm.

You need better DRG friends. Though I will say the prime definitely helps with that as well. One of my friends has the St4 right now and his performance (which was already incredible) has just skyrocketed since getting it. He's very strongly considering St5'ing it once he has the muffins. I think he will once he has the opportunity. It's nuts.

Barring that though, Trish, Rhongo, and (to a lesser degree) Ryu are quite strong. You also have to consider WS frequency, not just the WSavg. DRG with polearm is an absolute BEAST at throwing weaponskills every other second, it's nuts. Very similar to SAM in that way. Naegling cuts into this quite a bit because your jumps are a lot less impressive (in TP return and damage) and your WS frequency/white damage go down quite a bit. It might still parse better but it's closer than you'd think.

Also anything piercing weak just MELTS to a polearm.
By Nariont 2024-10-08 15:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole reason naeg drg is so silly is they get single wield + minor fencer benefits along with the job haste provided by wyvern buff making their tp rate fairly solid. Add in SBs wsc/ftp and all the benefits of naeg vs polearms fairly standard line of WS barring prime and its pretty easy to see why savage drg can run ahead over most polearns.

I think the gap between the two is overexaggerated but if were talking what does the best generally, its gonna be SB spam imo, again unless prime
[+]
By K123 2024-10-08 16:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Trish, Rhongo, and (to a lesser degree) Ryu are quite strong.
All they had to do was give Camlann's Torment increased fTP with TP and it would have been good. Of course they will never bother to fix that though.

Ukko's should have been fTP 4.0 too IMO.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-10-08 16:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The jump penalty for Naegling on DRG turns into a bonus if you're /DNC + Kraken. When I spirit or soul jump, it's usually to 2k+ or even 3k. You can hit cap damage frequently if your rolls are good and buffs in place.

That being said, /WAR does more damage with less tp and Berserk is noticeable if things start going awry with buffs. I don't enjoy playing this vs /DNC + Kraken but if there were more mobs that were only blunt susceptible then I would defer to it regardless of how much faster Kraken builds tp and how much I prefer /DNC.

I also have the stage 4 polearm. I would choose to use it always because it does absolutely crush things, but piercing resistance is a thing. If it flies, it dies is in full effect and Lamia are easy to 1 shot consistently.

I see the hate for DRG Naegling and I laugh at it because I just want to play DRG regardless. Naegling gets you into generic fights and is an amazing alternative, but when it's the fights that you specifically pick DRG for its piercing damage it really does shine and is a lot of fun to play.

Nerfing Naegling locks DRG and many jobs out of a viable spot on casual Segment runs. Crazyvics fetish to only see DDs use big *** weapons isn't a good enough reason to penalize people who are just trying to make segments so they can do other things.
[+]
By Atrox78 2024-10-09 13:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
You dont have to buff remas, but your solution to Naegling being OP is "get a prime weapon lulz" is *** stupid. And I'm actually saying that respectfully.

Yes, its a sum of a few parts to really make it OP, but when RDM THF DRK BST BRD RNG NIN DRG BLU COR RUN (I left out war and pld) are all resorting to Naegling Savage as their best DPS choice, thats a problem.

Drks best dps option is naegling? Drg? Run? Are you being serious?
By K123 2024-10-09 13:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably is for RUN... excluding Prime Gsword??
By Atrox78 2024-10-09 13:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

wot

OK maybe I exaggerated a bit with the billion. Every time I've played DRG or played with a DRG though, they're doing gobs of damage and using a polearm. It's not the best for segs because, especially in Sheol C, there are a lot of mobs strong against piercing, but for stuff like Sortie, Ody, Ambu, Omen, Dynamis, etc. you can absolutely tear ***up on DRG with polearm.

You need better DRG friends. Though I will say the prime definitely helps with that as well. One of my friends has the St4 right now and his performance (which was already incredible) has just skyrocketed since getting it. He's very strongly considering St5'ing it once he has the muffins. I think he will once he has the opportunity. It's nuts.

Barring that though, Trish, Rhongo, and (to a lesser degree) Ryu are quite strong. You also have to consider WS frequency, not just the WSavg. DRG with polearm is an absolute BEAST at throwing weaponskills every other second, it's nuts. Very similar to SAM in that way. Naegling cuts into this quite a bit because your jumps are a lot less impressive (in TP return and damage) and your WS frequency/white damage go down quite a bit. It might still parse better but it's closer than you'd think.

This 100%. Only nub drgs wanting to run the parse in Dyanamis or, real drgs doing bumba / sheol c use naegling. And now Gae Buide wins the parse in Dyanamis but I guess that's not allowed because stage 4s take a year to make apparently.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-10-09 13:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrox78 said: »
wot

This 100%. Only nub drgs wanting to run the parse in Dyanamis or, real drgs doing bumba / sheol c use naegling. And now Gae Buide wins the parse in Dyanamis but I guess that's not allowed because stage 4s take a year to make apparently.

There is always shining one.

I call it Buide lite.
[+]
By K123 2024-10-09 15:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I was a filthy casual but I don't understand why everyone talks about dynamis parses recently, like did people really do that every 72h for the last half a dozen years beyond getting the clears?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-09 15:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I was a filthy casual but I don't understand why everyone talks about dynamis parses recently, like did people really do that every 72h for the last half a dozen years beyond getting the clears?

I don't parse (obviously) but I do dynamis [D] twice/week and have been doing it twice/week for years. *** clears, I do it mostly for the money. Sometimes I need unlocks on a new job, or RP for a new weapon I just picked up or something, but most of the time I'm just doing it for the sweet sweet gil.

Plus it's a fun excuse to hang out with my friends for a couple hours twice a week.

When low-manning like we do, getting fast kills is absolutely essential and changes how many mobs we can kill, whether we can find one (or more) of the Aurix pops before the end of the timer, and sometimes whether we can finish the W3 boss before the timer runs out. We run a very tight 2 hours, so the faster you can kill ***the better.

If all the gil stuff isn't going to the mercs you paid to run it for you, it's extremely profitable.
By K123 2024-10-09 15:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

3m per run to join RP farm is pocket change though. I can't fathom doing 4h a week in there constantly, and most jobs aren't desired in low man so hard to RP the necks going in and playing.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-09 15:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't fathom doing 4h a week in there constantly

Imagine you had friends and wanted to chat with them for a couple hours while playing FFXI.

If that doesn't work since you're into the whole mercing thing, think about it like YOU'RE the merc, and getting paid 5-6m/hr to do dynamis. As far as value propositions go, there isn't much you can do in FFXI to make more gil/hr, especially consistently. Add statue crusher to that, or random medals from getting clears for people and it's absolutely insane how much gil you make.

And then if you ever get a neck or weapon, all the RP is free. I have like 20 +2 necks and 15+ Su5 weapons and I've probably used less than 1 stack of heroism crystals on all of them combined.

w/r/t jobs that suck, usually in my group what we do is have that character stand in the corner leeching RP while the player plays their mule on a useful job. Sometimes we just had the person *try* to be useful on the job and paid them anyway, because we're all friends here. Sometimes they leech the RP while they're out of town or otherwise unable to participate in dyna that night. It's not so tough. Most dynamis runs these days involve 4~7 random friends/linkshell mates who are just leeching RP or unlocks in the corner.
[+]
 Sylph.Snk
Server: Sylph
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2024-10-09 16:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't nerf it. Also like some people said, The devs don't have a middle ground when it comes to nerfing things. I.E. Mandau went from a decent dagger to ***after Mercy Strike got nerfed for whatever stupid reason they came up with.
By Ultimaetus 2024-10-09 16:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

There is always going to be a best or worst. The closest thing they did about it was a ws wall.
By K123 2024-10-09 16:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

there isn't much you can do in FFXI to make more gil/hr, especially consistently.
Maybe not legitimately.
By Atrox78 2024-10-09 16:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't fathom doing 4h a week in there constantly

Imagine you had friends and wanted to chat with them for a couple hours while playing FFXI.

If that doesn't work since you're into the whole mercing thing, think about it like YOU'RE the merc, and getting paid 5-6m/hr to do dynamis. As far as value propositions go, there isn't much you can do in FFXI to make more gil/hr, especially consistently. Add statue crusher to that, or random medals from getting clears for people and it's absolutely insane how much gil you make.

And then if you ever get a neck or weapon, all the RP is free. I have like 20 +2 necks and 15+ Su5 weapons and I've probably used less than 1 stack of heroism crystals on all of them combined.

w/r/t jobs that suck, usually in my group what we do is have that character stand in the corner leeching RP while the player plays their mule on a useful job. Sometimes we just had the person *try* to be useful on the job and paid them anyway, because we're all friends here. Sometimes they leech the RP while they're out of town or otherwise unable to participate in dyna that night. It's not so tough. Most dynamis runs these days involve 4~7 random friends/linkshell mates who are just leeching RP or unlocks in the corner.

Same here. It's fun to hang out and make gil. Wave 3 is also a great time to see what weapons like primes can do. Not many bosses you can smack around for 15 to 20 mins with max buffs and bis seys and not worry about death (much). It should be noted i usually go drg and am able to survive that 15 to 20 on the wave 3 boss. My drk dosent fare so well because I refuse to /drg on it lol
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2024-10-09 16:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

wot

Prime Polearm and to a lessor extent Shining One are bonkers good. Aeonic + Stardiver is also silly good but SE's gearing has overwhelmingly favored single hit high fTP WS's lately so it fell behind. The reason you don't see Polearm DRG in Segment farming, which is what is really being complained about here, is that piercing resistance sucks and slashing is just generally a more favorable damage type.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-10-09 16:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrox78 said: »
You dont have to buff remas, but your solution to Naegling being OP is "get a prime weapon lulz" is *** stupid. And I'm actually saying that respectfully.

Yes, its a sum of a few parts to really make it OP, but when RDM THF DRK BST BRD RNG NIN DRG BLU COR RUN (I left out war and pld) are all resorting to Naegling Savage as their best DPS choice, thats a problem.

Drks best dps option is naegling? Drg? Run? Are you being serious?

Yeah he's just being dumb. Desperate blows means DRK should always be using a 2H weapon and Caladbolg is very strong along with Prime GS. Aeonic + CR does gobs of damage not to mention Liberator SC's or Prime Scythe being nuts.

NIN use's Naegling because SE never game Katana WS's much love. Blade: Ten has too low of mods and ends up losing to Savage Blade over it. If SE made Blade: Ten 50/50 instead of 30/30 you would see Ninja's migrate back to katana over night.

RNG's Bow and XBow are also insane, like has this person never seen what Sarv or Gandiva can do? BLU's use Tizona + TP Bonus, RDM's choose between Naegling, Excalibur, Prime and Maxentinus + TP Bonus. BRD and COR don't have many options for melee to begin with so it's obviously Naegling or possibly Empy Dagger. DRG doesn't use Naegling unless forced to fight in a place where Piercing is bad, aka seg farm. RUN has similiar options as DRK, Prime or Aeonic though Prime is better, Ergon isn't too bad either. BST is just screwed over because Axe WS's are so meh, they don't have the gear and power to make Decimation shine, Mistral only having one mod at 50% leaves it's base power too low and Calamity's FTP isn't nearly as good as Savage Blade. I haven't seen too much info about Prime Axe, WAR can't use it so I never bothered.

Honestly Katana and Axe both need some love on the high end, Mistral / Calamity need some upgrades. Maybe tweak a few Great Axe WS's, but otherwise Scythe, Great Sword, Dagger, Club and Polearm are all solid. Prime bow finally made Bow good for more then just shooting damage. Staff as a melee weapon sucks but it's mostly used for casting anyway. H2H is also in a very good place.
[+]
By K123 2024-10-09 17:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
wot

Prime Polearm and to a lessor extent Shining One are bonkers good. Aeonic + Stardiver is also silly good but SE's gearing has overwhelmingly favored single hit high fTP WS's lately so it fell behind. The reason you don't see Polearm DRG in Segment farming, which is what is really being complained about here, is that piercing resistance sucks and slashing is just generally a more favorable damage type.
That's 2 weapons, not billions
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-09 17:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG's Bow and XBow are also insane2b, like has this person never seen what Sarv1 or Gandiva can do? BLU's use Tizona + TP Bonus3, RDM's choose between Naegling, Excalibur, Prime1 and Maxentinus + TP Bonus3. BRD and COR don't have many options for melee to begin with so it's obviously Naegling or possibly Empy Dagger. DRG doesn't use Naegling unless forced to fight in a place where Piercing is bad, aka seg farm2. RUN has similiar options as DRK, Prime1 or Aeonic though Prime is better, Ergon isn't too bad either. BST is just screwed over because Axe WS's are so meh, they don't have the gear and power to make Decimation shine, Mistral only having one mod at 50% leaves it's base power too low and Calamity's FTP isn't nearly as good as Savage Blade. I haven't seen too much info about Prime Axe, WAR can't use it so I never bothered.

1-"just get a prime weapon dummy"
2-Ranged for the most part is categorized as piercing and they have the same bonuses and penalties with 5 exceptions.
3-rng and cor could make a similar TP Bonus bow/gun.
By Atrox78 2024-10-09 17:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

wot

That's 2 weapons, not billions

Two (and honestly 4 of super buffed) is enough. Drg has better
options. Savel summed it up well. Only bst and nin are shafted and thier primes are probably closeish enough to justify using. heir issues are job specific.

At the end of the day, naegling isn't going anywhere and this was their solution. I wish they would raise remas up but they won't. Would be great to justify my ryuohinges existence against gae buide but it's not going to happen.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-10-09 17:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder (this is impossible to answer, it's just for thought)

How much naegling would still be prized if you could chose to turn off skillchain properties. Alot, not all, of naegling use is avoiding skillchain consequences.

How much less naegling and more other weapon would you see if there was zero skillchain woes.
[+]
By Nariont 2024-10-09 19:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

3-rng and cor could make a similar TP Bonus bow/gun.

Hell, if im not mistaken, pre-hover shot SB was rngs top DPS shot cause tp bonus bow + 20% WSD + 10 STR arrow, might even still be if you cant generate stacks, rng is just one of those if you arent shooting on it, why even be on rng at all
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-09 20:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
How much less naegling and more other weapon would you see if there was zero skillchain woes.

Holy *** Eiryl accidently said something correct. Everyone get your canned foods and bottled water ready, the end of the world is nigh.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-10-09 21:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not the right response, you're supposed to go off on some dumb *** tangent
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-09 21:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I'm always right.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-10-09 21:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

*** L M F A O
HE SAID THAT ***WITH HIS ENTIRE CHEST