Anyone Got A Drg Guide ( Bg Wiki Been Deleted)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » anyone got a drg guide ( bg wiki been deleted)
anyone got a drg guide ( bg wiki been deleted)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Bahamut.Kaius
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Kaius 2024-06-24 17:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You're right. I'm thinking more from a user perspective. It's a huge *** move in my eyes but ultimately, if it's his own guides and not community guides then I suppose its up to him.

I wouldn't up and delete all my contribution on the Wiki if I quit, but that's me.

He is removing content from community guides, such as the BLM one.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-24 17:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of curiosity, why was the community guide allowed to enter a state where a single person contributed essentially all of the information in it?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-06-24 17:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Can still grab everything off wayback machine. Grab it while you can.
[+]
By ShepardGarrett 2024-06-24 17:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Question: weren't all his guides outdated by odyssey and empy+3 armor anyway? I mean in a general term at this point can't all sets be built around 50 -DT and MEVA AND then stats for TP, weaspinskill, ability use, situations, etc?

I've got it on good authority that if your not topping -40DT in all things your doing your doing it wrong.

Taking a death is way to much DPS loss compared to capped WS or 73k WS
[+]
By Sevu 2024-06-24 17:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Out of curiosity, why was the community guide allowed to enter a state where a single person contributed essentially all of the information in it?
I'm not sure you'll get that answer here, where only a vocal minority engage in the forum.

As for the question, I don't have an answer. Maybe the guide was good enough so there wasn't a need to add further contribution.

ShepardGarrett said: »
weren't all his guides outdated by odyssey and empy+3 armor anyway?
Maybe they were, maybe there were not. I don't think that's really relevant here. BG-Wiki has a section on the job pages for "outdated guides" and he could then listed them there if that was the issue.

I'm going to bed, so I'm leaving this conversation.
Good night.
[+]
By jubes 2024-06-24 17:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

wiki editing is definitely a thankless job, a lot of work, and something that most of us take for granted. no matter what else people think of him, you can't deny he did a lot for the wiki community. however, he has made it abundantly clear how he wants to be remembered by wiki editors and users alike.

to those who continue to contribute to the wiki without demanding gratification or attention, I thank you for what you do.
[+]
 Bahamut.Orlanda
user: afraidnot
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2024-06-24 17:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I get the sense you're just in here to be a contrarian or to celebrate the removal of resources that tons of newer players utilized, but I'll play your game. I just went thru the history of the Community BLM guide, the one I'm most familiar with, and there were tons and tons of edits to gearsets that were previously added that were then overridden by Spicy's edits probably to update to newer gearsets. If you look at it now, there are ZERO gearsets, so he didn't revert it back to the original contributions even if they were years out of date. So yes, vandalism.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-24 17:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sevu said: »
I'm not sure you'll get that answer here, where only a vocal minority engage in the forum.

As for the question, I don't have an answer. Maybe the guide was good enough so there wasn't a need to add further contribution.

Allow me to express my point in a more forward way: the 'community' guides are 'community' guides when it's convenient, but when it comes to actually making edits and 'contributing to the accumulation of knowledge' it often ends up falling to a handful of the same people again and again. Are they really community guides if the community has nothing to do with them? Why aren't people out there making edits and contributions if they feel so attached to the idea of a community of knowledge aggregation?

You hold the keys to the kingdom in your hands but conveniently choose to forget that and instead complain when the court jester who also holds those keys decides to burn down the house from the inside.

This has happened before with people shitting opn Brahamz's DRK edits, but not a single one of you thankless *** ever went and corrected what you thought of as 'mistakes'.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-06-24 18:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I know less than nothing about the guy personally. But the real value in his guides was he approached gearsets in a progressive way for people looking to improve a bit as they went.

They were somewhat outdated by new gear and my own sets out played his consistently, along with disagreeing about weapon choices. But that's kinda trivial fights too, as this is ff11 and everything is "situational."

But when trying to improve little by little? He really did do a great job on the guides for that. He should left them behind simply due to pride. He earned it.
 Bahamut.Orlanda
user: afraidnot
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2024-06-24 18:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

jubes said: »
wiki editing is definitely a thankless job, a lot of work, and something that most of us take for granted. no matter what else people think of him, you can't deny he did a lot for the wiki community. however, he has made it abundantly clear how he wants to be remembered by wiki editors and users alike.

to those who continue to contribute to the wiki without demanding gratification or attention, I thank you for what you do.
This is super well said! To steal what a friend said about this topic:

"it just reveals an entire novel about folk like that who are more concerned about receiving credit for an act than just doing a kindness because they appreciate a community."
[+]
By Sevu 2024-06-24 18:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Allow me to express my point in a more forward way: the 'community' guides are 'community' guides when it's convenient, but when it comes to actually making edits and 'contributing to the accumulation of knowledge' it often ends up falling to a handful of the same people again and again. Are they really community guides if the community has nothing to do with them? Why aren't people out there making edits and contributions if they feel so attached to the idea of a community of knowledge aggregation?

You hold the keys to the kingdom in your hands but conveniently choose to forget that and instead complain when the court jester who also holds those keys decides to burn down the house from the inside.

I dunno man, people are lazy? I doubt most people who visit the wiki or the "community" has bothered to register to even be able to make edits/contributions.
[+]
 Asura.Hya
Server: Asura
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2024-06-24 18:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Orlanda said: »
"it just reveals an entire novel about folk like that who are more concerned about receiving credit for an act than just doing a kindness because they appreciate a community."
I can 100% guarantee you that not one person is editing the wiki for a dead 22 year old mmorpg with receiving credit in mind.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-24 18:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

"Credit" maybe not, but attention? validation? adulation?

The 100% is certainly not altruism.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-24 18:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt most people who visit the wiki or the "community" has bothered to register to even be able to make edits/contributions.

I always see this as the base of defense against 'being the change that you want to be' in the XI Wiki community (tm) and it never makes sense. Am I to believe that the 15 second process of signing up for a BG account is a step too far? Let's call it like it is: people aren't editing these things because they either

A) Lack the knowledge to do so
B) Lack the 'time' to do so
C) Don't actually care as much as they're posturing about caring

I often wonder what the average player thinks getting all of the data and information that makes things like gear simulators and job guides possible entails, or entailed.

As a preface: I've been doing this community contribution thing for more than a decade, I've never received acclaim for it and I don't care to. When people recognize me in other games or communities it makes me uncomfortable. I am not in this for clout. But I'm still going to educate you on something: this ***is not as simple as most people seem to think.

Do you think we just logged in one day with the ability for someone to go code an all jobs gear simulator? *** no. That thing was built on the backs of people like Montenten, Kirschy, Yugl, Byrthnoth, Mojo. I myself sunk hundreds of hours hitting rabbits and colibris to help build the foundation for the knowledge that people use to this day. Not a single person on this planet is entitled to any of that information or knowledge, and I can tell you with confidence that there are things that were never shared with the public and either had to be rediscovered or redefined later as a direct result. The wiki is written and edited using information either by or from people like these. We didn't sit there making a bunch of reasons why we 'couldn't do it', especially one as simple as 'i don't feel like putting my email in on this website'.

I don't think that anyone out there needs to prove themselves by going and testing for the intricate minutia that makes XI tick just to have an opinion on wiki edits, but if you're going to condemn people and their work without having done an ounce of it yourself, or even understanding the level of effort it can take to do so, it means very little to me and comes off as nothing but whining. The principle of "a wiki is a knowledge base maintained by the community" is great on paper until you realize that the community isn't maintaining ***, it is and always has been a (mostly) silent few doing all the actual labor while you reap the benefits, and some people then have the gall to complain that it isn't good enough.

Anyway this is only tangentially related to Spicy deleting his guides, *** move whatever. The discourse surrounding wiki politics as a whole and attribution of credit/owndership/whatever is a gray area but I firmly believe that the people who have no actual stake in it besides using what other people are giving you need to be educated on what it actually takes (even for people who are just constructing the wiki pages and aren't necessarily getting all the data themselves) to make these things available for you before lauding the few actual contributors for the sin of wanting their name attached to their hundred hour dissertation on why fSTR works the way it does, and how ridiculous the notion of 'people just don't bother making an account so they can't be bothered to make edits either' actually sounds.

This is my last post on the matter, i've said what I needed to say.
[+]
By LightningHelix 2024-06-24 18:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt most people who visit the wiki or the "community" has bothered to register to even be able to make edits/contributions.

I always see this as the base of defense against 'being the change that you want to be' in the XI Wiki community (tm) and it never makes sense. Am I to believe that the 15 second process of signing up for a BG account is a step too far? Let's call it like it is: people aren't editing these things because they either

A) Lack the knowledge to do so
B) Lack the 'time' to do so
C) Don't actually care as much as they're posturing about caring
Figuring out the damn wiki formatting is already enough of a bar that every time I want to edit one page the easiest way to do so is to find two other ones with working formatting to copy and paste from. And I already had a BG account from like 2010.

It's not that it's a high bar. It's just... so like you know how in gacha games they go out of their way to remove every tiny bit of friction between you and spending money? It's that. Little stuff but it adds up.

(I don't really have room to throw stones, I've only done 29 edits in the past 30 days and some of those were like, I edited an Adventuring Fellow limit break)
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-06-24 18:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

be using), was due to mods on the FFXI reddit wasn't so active. He always give me weird vibes.

He has his faults and I have found him abrasive to say the least, that whole Mireu thing leads me to wonder how he wasn't banned, but he's right about some things and this is one of them.

We ***on each other here but I like to think most of us have some respect for each other even if we disagree on a lot of things, even when it gets toxic, but /r/ffxi is next level toxic and it's worse IMO because most commenters don't play the game. They get mega butthurt when you say anything critical of their precious 75-cap experience and things get really nasty fast, the mods do nothing about it. It seems to come and go but it's by far one of the most toxic subreddits I've been in that wasn't politics related, the mods don't do a good job of reigning it in and just let it run rampant. I haven't been there in a while but it was that way at least up to a year or so ago.
 Bahamut.Malicat
user: Malizia
By Bahamut.Malicat 2024-06-24 19:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's Spicyryan's THF guide: https://web.archive.org/web/20221127214041/https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Rogues%27_Gallery
I think there were some minor edits made over the last year, but it's pretty close to what was there yesterday.

and BLU: https://web.archive.org/web/20230122054305/https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Out_of_the_BLU
This one seems less usable because of a lot of "expand" clickables that don't work with archiving?

I guess I'll start working on the FFXIAH THF guide again! I didn't cover REMA in my guide because Spicyryan did that, but I guess I can't lean on that excuse anymore :p
[+]
 Fenrir.Positron
Server: Fenrir
user: Positron
By Fenrir.Positron 2024-06-24 20:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

LightningHelix said: »
Figuring out the damn wiki formatting is already enough of a bar that every time I want to edit one page the easiest way to do so is to find two other ones with working formatting to copy and paste from. And I already had a BG account from like 2010.

To be fair, BG Wiki uses the same wiki software as Wikipedia and about 97% of the rest of the internet. Is it trivial? No, it's an ancient pile of crap built on php. But it is standard.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2024-06-24 20:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This has happened before with people shitting on Brahamz's DRK edits, but not a single one of you thankless *** ever went and corrected what you thought of as 'mistakes'.

Not gonna lie, I was waiting for this. Lmao

Carry on.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-06-24 21:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I, for one, always assumed that if I joined up on editing one of the wikis, that my edits would just get rejected or altered after I contributed what little I could.

Pretty much why I stick to being dumb here. \o\
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaius
By Bahamut.Kaius 2024-06-24 21:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is the beginnings of my new DRG guide. https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Dragoon_Guide_By_Kaius
[+]
By LightningHelix 2024-06-24 21:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malicat said: »
And BLU: https://web.archive.org/web/20230122054305/https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Out_of_the_BLU
This one seems less usable because of a lot of "expand" clickables that don't work with archiving?
Click the "edit" link on the archived version to get to the archive's version of the edit page, you can copy all the raw text from that text entry box.
Fenrir.Positron said: »
To be fair, BG Wiki uses the same wiki software as Wikipedia and about 97% of the rest of the internet. Is it trivial? No, it's an ancient pile of crap built on php. But it is standard.
Yeah, you're not wrong. I'm not saying it's specifically the wiki's fault. I just don't know enough (or make frequent enough edits) to retain it between edits.
 Bismarck.Tyconus
Server: Bismarck
user: Tyconus
By Bismarck.Tyconus 2024-06-24 22:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to update the THF community page. :)

[+]
By Seun 2024-06-24 22:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Let this be a lesson to you and anyone else who tries to inform the community. Enjoy your ban.
[+]
By ruckusMonster 2024-06-24 22:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Do we have a pool going on how long until the entire wiki gets deleted? This feels like one of those internet times where the mod is on the brink and just has his finger hanging over the button
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-06-24 22:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Malicat said: »
I guess I'll start working on the FFXIAH THF guide again!
FFXIAH da best
By Draylo 2024-06-24 22:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Make ffxiah guides great again
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-24 23:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

ruckusMonster said: »
Do we have a pool going on how long until the entire wiki gets deleted? This feels like one of those internet times where the mod is on the brink and just has his finger hanging over the button

I dunno who has any power over the site, but they need to pull their head out of their *** and revoke all saltys permissions.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-24 23:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Dropped a post on bg. If it gets deleted because Salty has powers in the wiki section and deleted it, ill repost in main XI section lol
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-24 23:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bgwiki is the site that has the greatest chance to either be ruined by Spicyryan on his way out (he hasn't gone full bonkers yet, but he is very quickly getting to the point he needs some wellness checks) or that the owner will just decide to stop paying for it one day.

If you want to make edits, update ffxiclopedia. cause that has the greatest chance to last.

Spicyryan has always tried to dissuade people from working on bgwiki by his actions, he would always mess with anything anyone adds like he owns the thing.

He was still subbed to the game, but only to take information to feed to the private server. Now they hate him too, so he has no reason to be subbed or attach himself to the game. Spicy, just quit the game and FO please. Go play World of tanks or something.

sevu, hi.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8