RDM Gear choices for Para/Slow
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-06 04:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I know Para and Slow are MND based enfeebs, so stacking MND will always help (assuming it sticks), my question is:

How can I stack a lot of MND+ at 50-75 and still have decent MP at the end of it?

I know that's a big level gap, but I'm now 50, and when I hit 51~60 I'll get a large chunks of MP from new gear (such as Serk Ring), and I don't want to lose 100+MP whenever I cast Para/Slow..

This is what I plan on using at 60. (I tossed AF in there because I have no idea what a better body piece would be >_>) At 70, I get a new waist piece anyway (Forest Rope), so I don't really want to buy P Rope to have to resell it.

Even if I replaced just the rings, I'd be losing nearly 100MP off my Max MP.

Any suggestions RDM's of FFXIAH?
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-06 04:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Right,
Obviously MP gear is useless once you spend the MP, so you have 3 options:

1. Suck it, and cast it in whatever you want (lossing MP or casting in MP gear)

2. Make 2 macros for para/slow. 1 in full MP gear for when you have nearly max MP, and 1 with full MND/skill for later in the convert cycle when you are lower on MP.

3. Use spellcast to automaticly lock slots based on your current MP, so that you slowly move from MP->MND gear as you spend MP.

At 75, Max MP isn't an issue most of the time (meriting being 1 obvious exception), most of the time you want to be using max skill or MND sets for your enfeebling.

My sets are far from perfect (my max MND set sucks balls), but check out my profile to see what I use
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 04:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Your worrying about mp too. In all reality the most you should worry about mp is maybe putting some stuff on for when you convert so you can crank out another cure or 2.

But really unless your just healing and hasting +stats>mp. So like forest rope kinda meh I'd much prefer Penitents or witch. You see good blms wearing +mp gear over +stat? No. Same thing.

But really your mnd stuff should only come out for cures and para/slow. Needs more maccroing in and out even if it loses you some mp by doing so. I don't really remember low lvl stuff but errant body is 10 legs 7 feet 5 so that's pretty good for like 72 I think. Theres always mythic wand if you can land the spells anyways and the imp ZNM shield. Um red cape/rainbow. There are mnd ranged items as well as int that would be good. There is enfeebling torque or that 6mnd neck peice. Really shouldn't try to balance them. If your going to go for debuffs you need to land them and land them good. Granted I'm a taru so normal gear puts my hp/mp close anyways.

In the end though as a rdm I rarely even have to convert unless I am burning ***
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-06 05:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

in my opinion you should let go of "max mp" ideas asap. the way mind "helps" para/slow is by making them more potent, i.e. the more additional mind you stack, the more slow effect you will of put on the mob (up to a cap or whats believed to be 25% slow, how much mind it takes to achieve is unconfirmed. so rule of thumb is just stack a lot), the more mind you have during the spells cast, the more paralyze effect will procure (also has a supposed but unconfirmed cap).

max mp will be good for a few things still sure but 95% of the time its gonna be completely pointless. if you are actually resting to 100% full, max mp will be good for first big nukes, first big cures, first bloodpacts, etc. (not caring about potency/accuracy since the spell/abil will essentially cost 0). once you are below your average max mp with potency/accuracy gear, ONLY use potency/accuracy gear...
that 95% of the time your below it in normal average gameplay, youll get far more use of of spell mods on gear than mp+ gear.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-06 05:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Your worrying about mp too. In all reality the most you should worry about mp is maybe putting some stuff on for when you convert so you can crank out another cure or 2.

But really unless your just healing and hasting stats>mp. So like forest rope kinda meh I'd much prefer Penitents or witch. You see good blms wearing mp gear over stat? No. Same thing.

But really your mnd stuff should only come out for cures and para/slow. Needs more maccroing in and out even if it loses you some mp by doing so. I don't really remember low lvl stuff but errant body is 10 legs 7 feet 5 so that's pretty good for like 72 I think. Theres always mythic wand if you can land the spells anyways and the imp ZNM shield. Um red cape/rainbow. There are mnd ranged items as well as int that would be good. There is enfeebling torque or that 6mnd neck peice. Really shouldn't try to balance them. If your going to go for debuffs you need to land them and land them good. Granted I'm a taru so normal gear puts my hp/mp close anyways.

In the end though as a rdm I rarely even have to convert unless I am burning ***

Agreed once you hit 75, but leveling rdm (in pick ups) can be a serious MP drain, so max MP can have its uses

Edit: guys you are missing the fact he is asking about a RDM just entering the early stages of TP burn exp... which is one place that Max MP is a help
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 05:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't really have a problem in pts before 75. I mean I actually had to convert sometimes but running out really wasn't an issue unless I kept playing with those lol players that just auto-attack spam everything and don't but any protection buffs up and eat dmg faster than I cure... which I just raise them then.

Also /sch is the ***for saving mp on rdm. You have refresh and convert max mp shouldn't make that much of a difference. One could argue good debuffs could save you mp from having to cure as much as good mp set would give you
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-06 05:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:

Edit: guys you are missing the fact he is asking about a RDM just entering the early stages of TP burn exp... which is one place that Max MP is a help

i kinda disagree-
imo thats one place it will matter the least, and practicing for later game rdm duties matters the most. xp parties (good ones anyway), will have very little down time for resting. a rdm will usually rely mostly on refresh, convert, and other mp regens, whms/blms will rely on mp regens primarily as well.
resting to FULL in xp parties should only even ever happen after a wipe imo, and if your party IS having enough down time between pulls to be having everyone rest to full... its definitely not a very efficient xp/hr group.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 05:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this resting on rdm you speak of? I don't understand
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-06 05:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Max MP and Convert sets are basically the same (certainly at his level), as even in max MP I doubt he will have more MP than HP (not until zenith)

Run out of MP.
Equip Max MP (convert ratio 1:1 if you can)
Convert
Have an extra 200-500MP over some one who converted without a max mp set

You aren't resting to full, you are getting Max MP from your convert.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-06 05:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm working on adding more MND into my standard build now while i try to keep as much of my MP as possible.

I know Max MP isn't really a big issue when things start, but I'm a bit of an MP ***. The way I look at it is: if I can get another 50MP to drop another Cure3(190HP), it will do more than adding 3MND to my healing set to drop another 10HP on my normal Cure3. (At lower levels anyway)

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing btw XD I'm just trying to find a happy middle.

At the moment I've found a few bits of gear that I can swap out, giving me a total of -54MP (taking my Max MP to 450) for +5INT +8MND. Would this be a viable option? Then possibly using Serket Ring over my Vilma's Ring when I hit 51.

At 55 however, I'd gain MND from Raptor Strap, and 54(?) I'll get another new Ring anyway (Serenity Ring or whatever it is >_> the MND one).

So far I've cobbled together this set as a means of mixing MND and MP a bit more. I double the amount of MND+ I get, but cut the amount of MP+ I get from it by over half. (Para/Slow will have their respective HQ Staves instead of Apollo's)
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-06 05:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm working on adding more MND into my standard build now while i try to keep as much of my MP as possible.

I know Max MP isn't really a big issue when things start, but I'm a bit of an MP ***. The way I look at it is: if I can get another 50MP to drop another Cure3(190HP), it will do more than adding 3MND to my healing set to drop another 10HP on my normal Cure3. (At lower levels anyway)

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing btw XD I'm just trying to find a happy middle.

At the moment I've found a few bits of gear that I can swap out, giving me a total of -54MP (taking my Max MP to 450) for 5INT 8MND. Would this be a viable option? Then possibly using Serket Ring over my Vilma's Ring when I hit 51.

At 55 however, I'd gain MND from Raptor Strap, and 54(?) I'll get another new Ring anyway (Serenity Ring or whatever it is >_> the MND one).

So far I've cobbled together this set as a means of mixing MND and MP a bit more. I double the amount of MND I get, but cut the amount of MP I get from it by over half. (Para/Slow will have their respective HQ Staves instead of Apollo's)

gotta do what you gotta do i guess, but the more you level rdm, the more you use rdm in endgame type events.. youll start caring about mp less and less imo.

95% of the time youll be between 100 and your max mp with only potency/accuracy gear. max mp after a convert of course is nice for the free self cures, but literally like 95% of the time you wont be taking any advantage of mp gear on at all. when your fighting a mob and are somewhere in between that 0 mp and whatever you have, yes even 1 mind for a cure, or whatever, is potentially better than +500 mp in gear. the ONLY times mp gear will have benefit are when your above your idleing mp and/or converting.
your basically never going to be able to rest to full, or have any use for being an "mp ***"..
your parties, your groups for missions/fun, your endgaming shells.. pretty much any/everyone wil like you a lot more being a "max potency" *** than having ++ mp that benefits no one 95% of the time.
 Bahamut.Kelia
Server: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-11-06 05:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

you're not going to sell your penitent's rope, or if you are, you're bad. the only other thing you should have in that slot when casting para/slow is witch sash
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-06 06:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

For most Endgame events, I go BLM anyway, so RDM in endgame would only really be used as a "oh god we need healers!" and then I'd prefer to take my WHM XD

Would you recommend losing the Serket Ring for a secondary MND+ Ring? Maybe investing in 2 Geist Earring over the MP earrings for curing/debuffing and only using Antivenom for healing?

Unfortunately I can't find a decent pair of shoes to wear, so I figured leaving RSE on would be ok.

In terms of MND gear, I should have a decent build towards 75, as I already have lots of crossover gear from BLM and WHM that my RDM can make use of.

EDIT:
Bahamut.Kelia said:
you're not going to sell your penitent's rope, or if you are, you're bad. the only other thing you should have in that slot when casting para/slow is witch sash

As much as I'd be inclined to agree, I can't justify holding 2 pieces of gear when I really don't need them. When I get hold of a Witch Sash for my BLM, then I'll use it on RDM, but until then I really don't see the point of spending 300k+ on a Rope for 1 job, when I have a suitable subsitute just a few levels after. I also generally run around with near maxed inventory, so adding another thing for me to carry would be pushing close to difficult to hold my gear in general.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 06:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I have blm but you know how often they need me on rdm and not for healing necessarily I mean the occasionally cure here and there. Most the time in endgames I'm a refresh/haste *** for the tanks and debuff *** on the mob... and something else depending on my subjob and the mob. Like make nuke or stun or dispel etc etc etc. Also don't forget enfeebling skill too you have to actually land those debuffs not just max potency.

Also why don't you use P rope or witch sash on your blm?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-06 06:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured the 60MP bonus from Forest Rope outweighed the INT+1 P Rope gives me. Typically Enmity isn't an issue, so the -Enmity on P Rope doesn't really come into play for me all that much. I already cap my Stoneskin with Errant Body, so the MND+ isn't much use to me.

The +60MP let's me get that bit more MP from Aspir (on non-darksday/weather Aspirs) and toss up another few enfeebles or another small nuke before I run out or possibly die(There were countless times I've needed ~30mp more before I got Forest Rope). I've been considering rebuying P Rope, but I really wasn't sure if I wanted the further MP loss.

As for Witch Sash, I just don't have the money XD
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-06 06:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
For most Endgame events, I go BLM anyway, so RDM in endgame would only really be used as a "oh god we need healers!" and then I'd prefer to take my WHM XD

Would you recommend losing the Serket Ring for a secondary MND Ring? Maybe investing in 2 Geist Earring over the MP earrings for curing/debuffing and only using Antivenom for healing?

Unfortunately I can't find a decent pair of shoes to wear, so I figured leaving RSE on would be ok.

In terms of MND gear, I should have a decent build towards 75, as I already have lots of crossover gear from BLM and WHM that my RDM can make use of.

EDIT:
Bahamut.Kelia said:

As much as I'd be inclined to agree, I can't justify holding 2 pieces of gear when I really don't need them. When I get hold of a Witch Sash for my BLM, then I'll use it on RDM, but until then I really don't see the point of spending 300k on a Rope for 1 job, when I have a suitable subsitute just a few levels after. I also generally run around with near maxed inventory, so adding another thing for me to carry would be pushing close to difficult to hold my gear in general.

if you dont feel like youll be playing rdm a lot, and/or in serious situations.. a max potency / max mp / max anything sets pretty pointless. just a lot of expensive gear taking up a lot of inventory.
dump the money/effort into jobs you WILL take more advantage of having good gear.
if you do feel like youll be playing rdm to some serious extent... the spell mods as people have been saying, are going to be far more valuable to any group, than having 1k+ mp on rdm, which would only ever even be good for just a few instances.

edit: can check out what i personally consider a good mind debuff set here-
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=120079

to add also, if all you ever ever do on rdm is refresh/haste ***.. store the af, pick up a verm, and call it a day.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 06:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I really wouldn't give a MND build much effort at your level. From my experience you're going to have trouble comfortably landing Slow on Colibri, and I'd say the most important thing now is MP; you need all the MP you can get. If you're swapping into MND for enfeebling and it's lowering your MP, it's a bad idea, especially with the Colibri burn parties you're going to get invited to.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 06:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I would never chose mp over int/mab or even macc on blm. Ever.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-06 06:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

MP gear on RDM is situational. It's not necessary, but it is handy sometimes... I like to idle in a lot of MP and then have separate macros (full potency para - huge mp loss, mid potency para - minor mp loss etc) so I can choose in any given situation.

If you're main healing on RDM which can happen, huge MP is more useful than most other stats (since you don't need to lose MP for Refresh/Haste unless you're stacking Haste).

And resting is underrated on RDM! Free MP is free MP, whether playing pure support, mixed support and enfeebling or solo.
 Carbuncle.Gilder
Server: Carbuncle
user: dewzedo
By Carbuncle.Gilder 2009-11-06 07:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Does stacking MND really improve slow potency? I think its pretty widely accepted that it will increase the proc rate on paralyze, but I thought %slow was a set amount that could only be raised with Slow II merits or Earth shot.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-06 07:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Gilder said:
Does stacking MND really improve slow potency? I think its pretty widely accepted that it will increase the proc rate on paralyze, but I thought %slow was a set amount that could only be raised with Slow II merits or Earth shot.

it absolutely does, and is just as widely accepted as improving the potency of paralyze. its also widely believed that slow status on mob caps at 39% from slow 2, and caps around 25% for slow 1. just as well, INT affects of blind same way, weakening mob acc the more potent.
By Redmn24 2009-11-06 08:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Good Gear to shoot for is

HQ Staff
Mag. Acc grip
Relic Hat
AF Body
Prism Cape
Enfeebling Torque
Goliard Hands
Witch Sash
Jet Ser. Pants are ok
Goliard Feet
Omega Ring
Aqua Ring
Enfeebling Earring
Other Earring is meh
Range there is that Campaing Book, otherwise meh
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-06 09:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently 67 rdm, so I'm just a little ahead of you in my quest for 75. Personally, I don't have a single piece of mp gear and I've managed so far just fine. You can only convert every ten minutes, so the majority of the time you're not going to be at max mp anyway, especially since you'll be doing a full haste cycle 3-4 times between converts. Basically, this means you'll be relying on refresh, brd/cor and what little time you'll have to rest (often no resting at all). A good party even without a brd or cor can often have you never converting, an average party will have your mp slowly depleting, so you'll have to convert every 15-20 minutes or so. And if you're really riding the convert timer or having to slow down and rest because convert isn't up, there's a pretty damn good chance the party sucks anyway.
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-06 10:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly exping rdm, you should focus SOLELY on mp.. youre not looking for uberbuff debuffs or even going to notice mediocre ones, the tank will tank regardless and all the extra mp you have is worth it
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-06 10:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean even at imp camp I couldnt land debuffs half the time with full merits whenever I level synced cause my af body was +1 so you still need a lot of skill and then potency does go out the window
 Ramuh.Zangada
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2009-11-06 10:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Redmn24 said:
Good Gear to shoot for is HQ Staff Mag. Acc grip Relic Hat AF Body Prism Cape Enfeebling Torque Goliard Hands Witch Sash Jet Ser. Pants are ok Goliard Feet Omega Ring Aqua Ring Enfeebling Earring Other Earring is meh Range there is that Campaing Book, otherwise meh

What about insect ring?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 10:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
I mean even at imp camp I couldnt land debuffs half the time with full merits whenever I level synced cause my af body was 1 so you still need a lot of skill and then potency does go out the window

Well sure if you bring gimped equipment you wont land it... frankly I reget all af after I get it HQd mostly so I can store
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 10:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Zangada said:
What about insect ring?

Insect ring is kinda fail on any spell that has macc/potency based on stats
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-06 10:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Integral said:
I mean even at imp camp I couldnt land debuffs half the time with full merits whenever I level synced cause my af body was 1 so you still need a lot of skill and then potency does go out the window

Well sure if you bring gimped equipment you wont land it... frankly I reget all af after I get it HQd mostly so I can store

I dont think full merits, enfeeb torque, and hq staves are gimped, but none of those are helping potency

I only cared about potency in endgame events, in merits you only cast cure/dia/haste/refresh
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 10:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well really if you are less than 65 for that sync which think is reasonable at imps can't remember that torque does nothing and af body does more than your merits. If you are 65 or higher Full merits are barely better than the loss of af body...
First Page 2 3