First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 26 27 28
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 15:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Stepth said: »
The market for this game is already subscribed. People know this game still exists. It’s plastered on the XIV launcher last time I checked. Ninja of all people advocated for the game. You can’t claim people are ignorant of its ongoing existence when one of the biggest streamers in the world was playing it.
Ninja plays on a private server, and most of his followers are there for Fortnite and immediately stop watching when he starts playing it.

There are three types of potential subscribers out there...

1. Those who don't know it exists. FFXI hasn't been advertised outside of its own bubble in 10 years. Up until XIV's recent surge in popularity, the only MMORPG anyone talked about was WoW.

2. Those who think it's in maintenance mode. I believe it was around 2015 that the game "ended". A lot of people rightfully stopped playing. But it came back, and only a small bubble of players know it did. Even if XI shows up on XIV's launcher, it's still almost universally known as being in maintenance mode. Nearly any time I mention that I play XI, the response is a puzzled "Why would you play an online game with no updates?"

3. Those who think it's an antiquated XIV. It's not. XIV is the epitome of quality-of-life and accessibility. That's great- it appeals to a massive audience. But not everybody wants that. Some people want the openness and flexibility offered by an older MMORPG. A lot of people think of it as playing like XIV 1.0, and I hear a lot of folks ask why anybody is playing XI when ARR is already out.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-18 15:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you want to be upset?

Nobody wants to be upset but Yoshida can do better than this, he is in charge of finances and he can increase the budget so we can have a little more than this. Don't expect miracles but this is bare minimum.

If they had at the very least showed off the new zone to some degree, or the new weapons (which are going to end up just being relics painted black) or something it would of helped. They showed nothing, it's infuriating.
[+]
By Nariont 2022-05-18 15:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
As for VR they are dragging the crap out of it, they didn't even show off the new zone they are supposedly working on.

I find that hard to believe when wings was a... 5? 7? year expansion storyline that ended sometime around abyssea, by comparison VR seems to be proceeding pretty steadily.
[+]
 Asura.Meliorah
Server: Asura
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2022-05-18 15:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think budget increase is magically going to yield more content or bigger changes. Say they increase budget, what do they do with that? Who is going to want to come get hired to work on a title that uses 22 year old hardware and built up using arbitraty code practices that don't make sense in the modern world.

Comparing this to my career field, I don't know anyone who is looking to dive into on-prem AD enviornments when everything is working in the cloud and using well established names such as Sailpoint to drive their governance.

FFXI isn't a good intern project to pull people in on either, its going to require someone who has a specific background to even have a shot at producing something useful and not just come in for 6 months, hate every minute of it and leave and have zero turn around on that employee.
 Lakshmi.Stepth
Server: Lakshmi
user: Stepth
By Lakshmi.Stepth 2022-05-18 15:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
The market for this game is already subscribed. People know this game still exists. It’s plastered on the XIV launcher last time I checked. Ninja of all people advocated for the game. You can’t claim people are ignorant of its ongoing existence when one of the biggest streamers in the world was playing it.
Ninja plays on a private server, and most of his followers are there for Fortnite and immediately stop watching when he starts playing it.

There are three types of potential subscribers out there...

1. Those who don't know it exists. FFXI hasn't been advertised outside of its own bubble in 10 years. Up until XIV's recent surge in popularity, the only MMORPG anyone talked about was WoW.

I wish you luck in finding this mythical group of people who have spent the last 10 years looking for a hardcore MMO and still have not found this one. There are tens of them out there, I’m sure. Your other two groups of people aren’t potential subscribers because they’ve made their minds up.

Why do you want to be upset?

Nobody wants to be upset but Yoshida can do better than this, he is in charge of finances and he can increase the budget so we can have a little more than this. Don't expect miracles but this is bare minimum.

If they had at the very least showed off the new zone to some degree, or the new weapons (which are going to end up just being relics painted black) or something it would of helped. They showed nothing, it's infuriating.

Yoshida is a salesman that overpromises and underdelivers, I have no problem saying that. He’s done enough harm with the handling of some things on the XIV side.

He’s not stupid, however. How much time and effort would it take to smooth out the pre-RoV era part of this game? To get players to a place where they won’t get stomped by even easy regular ambuscade. Without outside help from an established player, I’d say it’s nigh impossible with the way we’re set up now. How would he go about fixing this without infuriating current players by wasting resources on stuff they completed over a decade ago?

You can’t hope for a resurgence (hehe) of this game without new players coming in and they’re not biting or staying on the hook. All we get are grizzled vets that come back, try some “new” stuff, and leave. That needs to be fixed before the game proves that it’s a worthwhile investment for an expansion and the increased personnel it calls for.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Meliorah
Server: Asura
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2022-05-18 15:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odern said: »
Final Fantasy XI

Lifetime subscriptions- 1,225,950
Estimated active player subscriptions- 23,293

NOOOOOOO THAT NUMBER ISN'T TRUE
[+]
By Draylo 2022-05-18 15:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea its nice to make up numbers
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 15:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish you luck in finding this mythical group of people who have spent the last 10 years looking for a hardcore MMO and still have not found this one. There are tens of them out there, I’m sure. Your other two groups of people aren’t potential subscribers because they’ve made their minds up.
A lot of people don't know what they like until they've played it. WoW and now XIV are sort of the poster children for MMORPGs. That's why categorizing games under such a broad genre is crappy. If your only experience playing an MMORPG was WoW or XIV, you'll only know those as what an MMORPG can be. If they didn't like what those games offered, they probably wouldn't have even reached out to try another.

Never underestimate the power of marketing. If people still judged XIV based on its original release, it would be in the exact same boat. But it got better, and then it was given proper treatment.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Stepth
By Lakshmi.Stepth 2022-05-18 15:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people don't know what they like until they've played it. WoW and now XIV are sort of the poster children for MMORPGs. That's why categorizing games under such a broad genre suck. If your only experience playing an MMORPG was WoW or XIV, you'll only know those as what an MMORPG can be. If they didn't like what those games offered, they probably wouldn't have even reached out to try another.

Never underestimate the power of marketing. If people still judged XIV based on its original release, it would be in the exact same boat. But it got better, and then it was given proper treatment.

Where would you have them market?

How would you have them market?

I’m not being snide or anything, I’m just really curious what kind of effective marketing campaign can be done at this point?

XVI is going to be their next mainline marketing push. How would you suggest they put both out there at the same time?
By Draylo 2022-05-18 15:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it better if you posted your source?
By RadialArcana 2022-05-18 15:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Even nicer to deny reality isn't it? The numbers are online, just have to look for them.

I say FFXI has 10 million players, now that I have posted this it's online and now proof. Which is just as accurate as whatever bumhole you pulled yours from.

btw I know where you pulled it form and lol@you
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 16:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m not being snide or anything, I’m just really curious what kind of effective marketing campaign can be done at this point?
I mean, just off the top of my head, they could bring back the dual subscription service. They could maybe have both (or all three) of their existing MMOs up on the same bulletin boards that inform people of updates and such. That would all be virtually free.

If they wanted to take it a few steps further, I know people complain about the XIV launcher in addition to PlayOnline. They might be able to remove both and combine them in the same launcher, which would go really well with a dual subscription service.

When people quit XIV, it gives them a survey. What if they tweaked some of the potential answers to things that XI does better, and if those are selected they could push players in that direction. Even just saying "Sorry to see you go. If XIV wasn't for you, why not try our other MMORPG!"
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2022-05-18 16:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meliorah said: »
Final Fantasy XI

NOOOOOOO THAT NUMBER ISN'T TRUE

80k of that is bots obviously.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-18 16:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yoshida is a salesman that overpromises and underdelivers, I have no problem saying that.

Worst thing that happened for players of both games was Yoshida being put on the board of directors, his entire focus changed on that day.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 16:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Worst thing that happened for players of both games was Yoshida being put on the board of directors, his entire focus changed on that day.
YouTube Video Placeholder
By Bosworth 2022-05-18 16:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI isn't going to get anything larger than what we get now because SE has no incentive to pursue it. If they did, they would. This isn't rocket science, why are we still talking about this?

Post deleted by User.
By Nariont 2022-05-18 16:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Stages of grief I guess, why it took to the 20th anni. I have no idea
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 16:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bosworth said: »
FFXI isn't going to get anything larger than what we get now because SE has no incentive to pursue it. If they did, they would. This isn't rocket science, why are we still talking about this?
We're just salty that they aren't, and ranting into the wind about it.

We're a group of people on the internet all looking for that sweet, sweet affirmation.
 Lakshmi.Stepth
By Lakshmi.Stepth 2022-05-18 16:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yoshida is a salesman that overpromises and underdelivers, I have no problem saying that.

I disagree, but I’m not pursuing it here. We are not going to see eye to eye on this.

I mean, just off the top of my head, they could bring back the dual subscription service. They could maybe have both (or all three) of their existing MMOs up on the same bulletin boards that inform people of updates and such. That would all be virtually free.

If they wanted to take it a few steps further, I know people complain about the XIV launcher in addition to PlayOnline. They might be able to remove both and combine them in the same launcher, which would go really well with a dual subscription service.

When people quit XIV, it gives them a survey. What if they tweaked some of the potential answers to things that XI does better, and if those are selected they could push players in that direction. Even just saying "Sorry to see you go. If XIV wasn't for you, why not try our other MMORPG!"

I agree with the bundled subscription, but that’s it.

You are not uncoupling POL from XI and god help the servers if they shove XIV in there.

If they don’t redirect you to XIV after canceling your sub on XI, why would they do the opposite? Or would it go both ways?
By Starbucks 2022-05-18 16:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This is some current MMORPG numbers, keep in mind it is an estimate but is probably pretty close. This information is easily found if you know what to look for. This is why SE does nothing major for Final Fantasy XI. Time to check reality and accept that nothing big is going to happen to FFXI again.

Final Fantasy XIV

Lifetime subscriptions- 37,816,043
Estimated active player subscriptions- 2,149,814

WoW

Lifetime subscriptions- 117,865,583
Estimated active player subscriptions- 4,478,892

RuneScape

Lifetime subscriptions- 16,357,574
Estimated active player subscriptions- 1,553,970

Final Fantasy XI

I wonder what the peak active subs have been. I thought I read once that FFXI was 500k at one point, but I think the consensus is more like 300-350k.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 16:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If they don’t redirect you to XIV after canceling your sub on XI, why would they do the opposite? Or would it go both ways?
At this rate, FFXI barely even has a free trial. Them adding a survey at the end of XI asking how they could improve would be an improvement itself. I'd be OK with it if it went both ways, but I also don't know how necessary it would be given how much other marketing they've done for XIV.

Anywhere I can't ad-block into oblivion shows me ads for it lol

I dunno. I'm just saying the rate of return would probably be worth it for them. Everyone already knows XIV exists. They're probably barely even seeing a return on that investment now. It probably costs them a quarter million USD per new player at this rate. But FFXI's population could be doubled for free, or tripled for a small investment.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2022-05-18 16:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

This is some current MMORPG numbers, keep in mind it is an estimate but is probably pretty close. This information is easily found if you know what to look for. This is why SE does nothing major for Final Fantasy XI. Time to check reality and accept that nothing big is going to happen to FFXI again.

Final Fantasy XIV

Lifetime subscriptions- 37,816,043
Estimated active player subscriptions- 2,149,814

WoW

Lifetime subscriptions- 117,865,583
Estimated active player subscriptions- 4,478,892

RuneScape

Lifetime subscriptions- 16,357,574
Estimated active player subscriptions- 1,553,970

Final Fantasy XI

You say that, but an updated client with slightly better UI, slightly better server performance, and slightly more functional equipsets would go a long way towards making the experience more friendly to new players.

And if it's more friendly to new players and less clunky overall, it's a much easier sell to streamers. Streamers prop up MMOs today. There's a reason XIV blew up right before endwalker. Because WoW ***the bed so hard that all their biggest streamers/community members jumped ship.

Every MMO goes through lull periods and the flavor of the month shifts constantly. It would be far better for SE in general if they were able to convert more people into the Final Fantasy universe instead of just XIV. XI is a game with 20 years of content and there's a ton of fun for new players to have with some of the best FF stories that exist. There's also a lot of opportunity for community events.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-05-18 16:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Or i guess any ffxi fans should just roll over and die. Like of course we are going to want more ***for the game we pay to play. These free campaign/trolls are the worst.
By RadialArcana 2022-05-18 16:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Because you have a bunch of toxic people

go back to mommy

[+]
 Lakshmi.Stepth
By Lakshmi.Stepth 2022-05-18 16:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Or i guess any ffxi fans should just roll over and die. Like of course we are going to want more ***for the game we pay to play. These free campaign/trolls are the worst.

There’s a way to have this conversation without jumping to this extreme. Everyone here likes the game or why else would they even bother replying?

Over 20 years of this game, no one has been 100% in agreement on the directions it took. Why must everyone be in lockstep today over needing an expansion, new jobs, marketing campaign, removal of Yoshida for some reason, etc.
By IGDC 2022-05-18 16:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

There’s a way to have this conversation without jumping to this extreme. Everyone here likes the game or why else would they even bother replying?

Over 20 years of this game, no one has been 100% in agreement on the directions it took. Why must everyone be in lockstep today over needing an expansion, new jobs, marketing campaign, removal of Yoshida for some reason, etc.

We can 100% all agree that Cornelia should be forever :)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 16:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Why must everyone be in lockstep today over needing an expansion, new jobs, marketing campaign, removal of Yoshida for some reason, etc.
It's panic. We just had a milestone date without a single clue as to what's ahead. People are worried that as the population declines, we're getting closer and closer to the game shutting down.

Square-Enix could invest a small amount of money to keep this game going strong. There's countless ways they could do it. But even at this crazy milestone of 20 years, our only acknowledgement was from a fast food restaurant.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 26 27 28