Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-08-18 10:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
joemamma said: »
Yea ffxi is the most grindy MMO I can think of. Why the filthy casuals go to XIV and other MMO games.

Memes and jokes aside, most people that play FFXI right now are pretty casual. Not talking about this forum, but the population in general.

Which is why trusts are so popular.
I'd consider myself a very casual player. Even when I was a teenager staying up past 4am in parties, I did so because it was what I wanted to do. I've never shunned real-life plans for a linkshell's schedule. Even to this day I'm just puttering around leveling up jobs and playing around on quests at my own pace.

It's hardcore if you want it to be, but it can be casual if you want it to be too. The only hardcore part about it back in the day was you needed a party to get anything done, which meant you usually had to dedicate hours at a time for any task. But with Trusts, the only thing you need a party for now is the highest-tier end-game content.
By Rips 2021-08-18 11:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
When you looked. Yeah. They come and go. Part of the whole evading a ban thing. Like every 3rd day off or something. Paying attention but not "attention" to them.

I don't know about him, but I took an actual look at them to see how harmful they actually are (and whether it's worth coding something to either grief or report them). Checked 4x a day, went from consistant 22-25 alliances on Saturday and Sunday, to none since Monday 6am. I'd guess it's not so much 'evading a ban' as 'getting banned', personally.

SE might be incompetent, but we all know how easy a target these characters are. They can't even anon, all you have to do is /sea all 8-15 and pick out the level sync parties. It's easy enough even a caveman square-enix intern can do it.

They probably use significant manpower(sweatshop) to set them up during the week, start farming over the weekend, and get banned on monday. Worth it for chinese laborers or if the process of account creation is automated, not such a good deal for people who's time has value. Also possible they just got hit once right after you made this thread, but the timing seems awfully tight. They only seem to show up when account keys are on sale.

This is what I suggested - that they’re banned rather fast. I assumed that there is a threshold tier that they surpassed that would enable them to be banned quicker and in a more immediate fashion because of their actions, but it was called laughable.
 Asura.Tsm
Server: Asura
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-18 12:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah eiryl generally knows nothing when talking about ban evasion
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-08-18 13:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Not like I have more experience than almost every single person or anything. Not like I watch every bot, every day or anything. Not like I see them take days off to try to avoid looking "too obvious" or anything. Yeah, no clue what I'm talking about.

You can never know if they get banned or just take a break to lower the temperature because the STF is full of ***and there's no accountability.

They always come back on, whether they were banned and are new or took a break and aren't new makes literally zero difference.
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-18 13:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Banned = some amount of gil lost, time for making new emails, SE account, dealing with the stores 2 cd key limit, time creating handles for pol and etc
Not banned = literally nothing

The fallacy you spread is just outright *** 99% of the time. Does SE need to be better about banning blatant bots? Yes. Absolutely. You on the other hand though like to push the narrative that they don't ban at all which is completely false.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-08-18 13:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No functional difference

I've never said they don't ban at all. They just don't ban enough or consistantly. I get banned once a month, every month. Obviously they do SOME bannings.

(Every single last Thursday of the month they pick one account and 3 day or perma one of my accounts like clockwork since November 2019 for those counting/cheering/keeping track)
By Rips 2021-08-18 13:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
No functional difference

I've never said they don't ban at all. They just don't ban enough or consistantly. I get banned once a month, every month. Obviously they do SOME bannings.

So... do you take new bots all the way through the story missions? Or just Reisenjima access? I can't fathom rerolling accounts over and over, no matter what money I make.

I'm also aware that that is a bit of a personal question in a public forum, and it's none of my business. That just seems rough. You must be immune to the sadness of a ban.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-08-18 13:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

When you know your accounts are temporary it means nothing. They're just tools, like any worker for any company. Easily replaced.

I don't go out of my way to do anything more than necessary.
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-08-18 13:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

it's a game, you play games to have fun. if you feel pressured to spend money on a game in order to be more "efficient" then you confuse playing a game with labor.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-08-18 14:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
it's a game, you play games to have fun. if you feel pressured to spend money on a game in order to be more "efficient" then you confuse playing a game with labor.

Via this very argument, it's more fun to pay to skip the shitty parts and you know, actually play the game instead of farm gil, so, I mean, yeah.

Time spent is time spent.
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-18 14:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

we get it eiryl, you're anti work. you don't have to remind people every post. no one cares

i'd disagree though, there is definitely a functional difference. either they are losing money making new accounts/requiring more hours to get their gains or they are not.
By Shichishito 2021-08-18 14:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

i remember you guys mentioning that you'd never say admit in public what you do for "work". i'm wondering, assuming you have friends or some sort of social contacts, what do you guys tell them you do for a living?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-08-18 14:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine bitcoin. For all intents and purposes it's identical. Just less embarrassing.

A program creates virtual currency that people buy. Can't argue that.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2021-08-18 14:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i remember you guys mentioning that you'd never say admit in public what you do for "work". i'm wondering, assuming you have friends or some sort of social contacts, what do you guys tell them you do for a living?

If I sold gil for a living and it netted me a decent paycheque, I'd have zero problems telling my friends and ***what I do for a living. If that's a bothersome issue......idk.
By Shichishito 2021-08-18 14:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

what did you say befor there was crypto currencies?
or what do you do if someone gets curious and wants to know more about bitcoin?

Quote:
efficiency, skipping the boring parts and so on
makes me wonder if there ever was some dude who showed up with a stack of cash to a Dungeons and Dragons session.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-08-18 14:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

makes me wonder if there ever was some dude who showed up with a stack of cash to a Dungeons and Dragons session.
"Hey, DM. Here's $50. Skip all of the roleplay *** and let's get straight to combat."
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-18 14:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
"Hey, DM. Here's $50. Skip all of the roleplay *** and let's get straight to combat."
you joke but there is a lot of people that would prefer that.

i respect people who play DND and have a ton of friends that do but to me it's very cringe, i would rather do without the roleplaying.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-08-18 14:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »
you joke but there is a lot of people that would prefer that.

i respect people who play DND and have a ton of friends that do but to me it's very cringe, i would rather do without the roleplaying.
Not to diverge too much from the topic, but I'd like to clarify: the cool thing about tabletop RPG's is that as long as everybody's on the same page, they can be played however you want. If you don't like the roleplaying aspect the DM could just set up wave after wave of enemies with between little and no roleplay at all.

My experience with 5th Edition so far has been that it plays like a video game anyway. There are so many rules that it might as well be written as software lol
By Pantafernando 2021-08-18 15:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »

Similar case:

“Hey thot. Here is $50. Lets skip the formalities and go straight to bed”.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-08-18 15:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

that is an apt example.

Some people like to spend 4 hours hitting on randoms and eventually maybe getting the pussy.

And some people just want to get to the finish line.

They both cost you money. As if there's some big difference in the results.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-08-18 16:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as the RMT farmers don't ruin the game for players (and most try not to these days) I honestly don't get why people care honestly.

If someone with very little time wants to buy some toys and can afford it, good on them. I'm just happy people are playing the game in enough numbers to sustain it, so I can play it and it gets some updates honestly.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-08-18 16:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

While I don't wholly disagree with that, they are inflating the economy. Otherwise, at least they're not competing with real players for extremely finite resources (NM camping, anyone?) anymore...

I wonder if instead of capping the number of Sparks you can spend in a week, if they capped or gradually reduced the amount of money earned from selling stuff to NPC's, especially from repeat items. Or even limit excessive item-selling to characters at least 30 days old?
[+]
 Siren.Dekoda
Server: Siren
user: Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2021-08-18 16:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

i think there could be an argument that pumping enormous amounts of gil into the server could impact the longevity of the game. but i don't know if that's true
By RadialArcana 2021-08-18 16:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

These days they take it into account and they add systems to remove gil from the economy, they nerfed sparks pretty heavily not long ago which caused massive deflation. Ody gear removes a lot of gil too, among many other things.

Back in the day it really bothered people because the RMT farming methods directly impacted players, these days not so much.

Most of the annoying bots aren't RMT but normal player making a shield or farming currency for themselves these days.
 Siren.Dekoda
Server: Siren
user: Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2021-08-18 18:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Do they take into account flee botting Galkan alliances?
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-18 18:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

galka bots are pretty harmful to ffxi, they are blatant and in areas new players would be in.

SE has "tried" to make the game more new player friendly, if anything this type of botting would be the only thing they should care about
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-08-18 18:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It sets a pretty poor first impression. Either the new person thinks "gross, plagued with bots and RMT" or they think it's widely allowed/accepted and plop down daddy's plastic.
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-08-18 18:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Foxmulder said: »
plop down daddy's plastic

I'd wager this is still pretty common. Gil buying went through the roof when Trumpbucks dropped, I doubt it's slowed down too much
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-08-18 19:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i'd argue gil buying did not go through the roof. it was just the perfect storm of sparks being nerfed that and stimulus that caused gil price to go up. it has settled since and arguably still at a value lower than what it is worth if you do the math on how much a su5/+2 neck costed in $ before and after sparks nerf.

tldr gil is more expensive but you can buy more with 1m than you could a year ago, so people just buy less gil for the same price they used to buy more gil for
By Seun 2021-08-18 19:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »
i'd argue gil buying did not go through the roof. it was just the perfect storm of sparks being nerfed that and stimulus that caused gil price to go up. it has settled since and arguably still at a value lower than what it is worth if you do the math on how much a su5/+2 neck costed in $ before and after sparks nerf.

Your result will be heavily skewed if you're factoring in the value of crafted items. The end of the road for sparks coincided with an HQ crafting exploit. Supply and demand still have the greatest impact. Heroism currencies from dynamis are actually more expensive now than they were compared to SU5 which used to be 2-3 times more expensive...
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 12 13 14