First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Sylph.Herbs
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2020-12-18 12:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Between AF+3 body and Myrkr, BLM doesn't need for much MP restoral. Most BLMs barely require a Convert.

So you're saying a game built around working to get things to make you better that allows you to not have MP issues compared to a game where you get those things automatically is the same?

Sure you can boost your character to the point of not having MP issues but that's a lot of work for a base 99 player, you don't get myrkr given to you at 99. You don't just get +3 body given to you either. It's a fair amount of work to get these things.

Some of you are coming at this from the point of view of already having all these things, that's not how it works.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
Server: Asura
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-12-18 12:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The lack of any horizontal progression whatsoever is what eventually caused me to walk away and ultimately come back to XI. I played from ARR launch (and even a bit of 1.0) through HW and then kind of fell off in Stormblood.

The Shadowbringers story is fantastic but after that the game just feels flat. No motivation to do anything other than glamour or learning fight mechanics one time and never really doing it again.
[+]
 Asura.Madotsukii
user: Madotsuki
By Asura.Madotsukii 2020-12-18 12:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »
I was never a fan of it. To me (personally, not speaking facts), it was just an superfluous activity due to the current design. No different than in WoW but some people liked it. They felt more engaged.
I certainly understand and can respect that, I know several people that felt similarly and avoided tank jobs or ignored stance dancing back in those times. It definitely helped me feel more engaged though, especially since tanks typically have the lowest amount of responsibilities and duties to do in trials and raids these days. Nowadays if you ask me why I main/raid tank role in XIV, my response will be "I do it so nobody else has to" (except for my co-tank Kamyuria they are bound by honor to also walk this path).
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-12-18 12:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Herbs said: »

Some of you are coming at this from the point of view of already having all these things, that's not how it works.

Omen has been around for 4 years now. Expecting a BLM to have an AF body and an Empyrean WS done isn't exactly asking a lot.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 12:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're saying a game built around working to get things to make you better that allows you to not have MP issues compared to a game where you get those things automatically is the same?

I didn't say this at all, that's just you projecting. I was simply responding Kingnobody's original comment about MP being an issue when Refresh/Convert doesn't fill the void. I don't know what you're rambling on about.
[+]
 Sylph.Herbs
Server: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2020-12-18 12:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Friedrik said: »

Omen has been around for 4 years now. Expecting a BLM to have an AF body and an Empyrean WS done isn't exactly asking a lot.

Point is, one game gives you these things automatically. The other requires a lot of effort, a fresh 99 player has to put in weeks of effort to get these things.

A fresh BLM on FF11 needs to grind out a ton of things to be battle ready, a fresh player on FF14 does not need to do anything like the same amount of work.
[+]
 Odin.Juliano
Server: Odin
user: Julian
By Odin.Juliano 2020-12-18 12:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
FFXI in it's current state is an autism-fueled collection game. Think Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, etc. The more automation you write or obtain, the more quality gear and jobs and characters you obtain or buy, the faster you can continue to obtain more of it. It's never, at any point in the process, challenging in the sense that it requires quick reflexes, intense thought or planning, or anything of the sort.
This, minus the completely unnecessary jab at autism, rings completely true for me.

Kind of reminds me of Factorio now that I think about it. Build more, expand, optimize, just to get more and then build more. That ***is crack for me.

I enjoy the min-maxing aspect of FFXI. Gear optimization is what differentiates good from bad players.

I don't enjoy 14 nearly as much as I did 11. I don't like that I have to be hitting a button every second, that I have to constantly be looking around for all sorts of different visual queues to react to, all while still hitting a button in some rotation every freaking second. I have ***reflexes time and struggle to juggle multiple things at once. Always have - it's why I freaking play turn based games like JRPG's instead of super action focused or shooting games. (Also headaches from camera stuff.)

I greatly enjoy and appreciate the slower paced combat of 11. There are some things that require a quick reaction, like stunning, or doing stun rotations, which I enjoyed, but that's because you're able to focus on it and not have to juggle 10 other things and keep track of some stupid rotation at the same time.

So yeah. Sure, 14 isn't "bad", but it's honestly not for me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 12:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not trying to condescend FFXIV's combat because it's fast and engaging and no matter what, you're pushing buttons but once you got the rotation down, all you really need to do is get better gear and ensure you move out of stuff.
Agreed. It's comparing two very different games that both have their own appeal.

Despite getting defensive over FFXI earlier in the thread, I truly don't believe FFXIV is in any way an objectively bad game. The developers have to choose how to do things, and compromises must be made. Personally, I like the path FFXI has taken because of the elements that make it up.

I played a game recently- a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my favourite games ever). It took me a while to realize that I actually really didn't like how well-balanced it was. I think what I liked most about FF-Tactics is that the fact that all jobs are not created equal. Some are better than others, some work better with certain jobs than others do, and some combinations are ludicrously overpowered. The fun of the game comes from learning and mastering the game's mechanics so you can use them to your advantage. But to the average gamer that's just too much work. People don't want to work, they want to plug and play with no hurdles. And that's why Tactics' fanbase is more of a cult following. Frankly, XI is about the same: it's raw, unbalanced, and abuseable.

That doesn't make XI or Tactics "superior" games, nor does it imply there's anything special about the people who appreciate them. The choices made in those games are different than the ones made in Final Fantasy XIV. XIV is colorful nonstop actiony fun. It reminds me more of a game like Devil May Cry where the enjoyment comes from edge-of-your-seat moments and wearing out buttons on your controller.

If that's more your speed, then power to you! Now's a great time for anyone to try it out if you haven't already.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-12-18 12:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hard disagree on the quick reflexes/thinking and overall lack of “skill” to play ffxi. For most things? Sure..maybe. Like leveling a job or doing some basic quests/NMs. But the same could be said of XIV, you don’t need to be even close to super skilled to get to level cap and do the main scenario, and maybe a little bit of normal mode raids.

People have been pushing the envelope in XI and I don’t mean automation. I have been doing 3 or 4 man VD ambu with other real players for months now and coming up with strategies to make it work, and it does require each person to be highly prepared gear wise but also on their toes during the content and reacting quickly to things. That’s just one example.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2020-12-18 12:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I'm not trying to condescend FFXIV's combat because it's fast and engaging and no matter what, you're pushing buttons but once you got the rotation down, all you really need to do is get better gear and ensure you move out of stuff.
Agreed. It's comparing two very different games that both have their own appeal.

Despite getting defensive over FFXI earlier in the thread, I truly don't believe FFXIV is in any way an objectively bad game. The developers have to choose how to do things, and compromises must be made. Personally, I like the path FFXI has taken because of the elements that make it up.

I played a game recently- a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my favourite games ever). It took me a while to realize that I actually really didn't like how well-balanced it was. I think what I liked most about FF-Tactics is that the fact that all jobs are not created equal. Some are better than others, some work better with certain jobs than others do, and some combinations are ludicrously overpowered. The fun of the game comes from learning and mastering the game's mechanics so you can use them to your advantage. But to the average gamer that's just too much work. People don't want to work, they want to plug and play with no hurdles. And that's why Tactics' fanbase is more of a cult following. Frankly, XI is about the same: it's raw, unbalanced, and abuseable.

That doesn't make XI or Tactics "superior" games, nor does it imply there's anything special about the people who appreciate them. The choices made in those games are different than the ones made in Final Fantasy XIV. XIV is colorful nonstop actiony fun. It reminds me more of a game like Devil May Cry where the enjoyment comes from edge-of-your-seat moments and wearing out buttons on your controller.

If that's more your speed, then power to you! Now's a great time for anyone to try it out if you haven't already.

omg is that the steam game i was so close on buying that 2 weeks ago, but chose persona 4 gold
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 13:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
People have been pushing the envelope in XI and I don’t mean automation. I have been doing 3 or 4 man VD ambu with other real players for months now and coming up with strategies to make it work, and it does require each person to be highly prepared gear wise but also on their toes during the content and reacting quickly to things. That’s just one example.
Therein lies the challenge of Final Fantasy XI. You always have enough tools to take on nearly any task, but to get faster and better at it is why the game is fun. You improve your character with better equipment and improve yourself with smarter strategies and more precise gameplay. Over time you can reduce what would take you and a party 30 minutes to beat to being able to 2-man a fight in 10 minutes.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 13:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I slightly disagree with the point Thorny made about FFXI not being a game that requires skill. It does, just in the sense of what Taint explained. In the case of solos, all of the planning is done before the actual event, which will make or break your run attempts. You plan your character accordingly to what you expect to encounter, and having the appropriate gear and macros makes the situations manageable. You do need a degree of skill to handle some of the mechanics in the game. True, you can argue that much automation eliminates the need for "skill" in such scenarios. And though moves are predictable, you still have to react to a reasonable degree to the challenges in some fights. It's not to the degree in which a player in Fighting Games would react to real-time scenarios, but they still use their muscle memory and reflexes to react to situations on the fly, just in a different way.

The "skill" of a FFXI player is not necessarily anything outlandishly impressive, but it's noteworthy. People used to love watching Avesta do stuff in the game that was incredibly difficult to pull off, seemingly impossible for it's time. Players have always pushed the limits of what was "possible". Even now, there's some people who do solo fights that are impressive. So I don't think FFXI players possess any incredible skill that would WOW you, but you can clearly see an extremely skilled player vs an average button masher.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-18 13:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I played a game recently- a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my favourite games ever).

Do tell. It wasn't Tactics Ogre: LUCT, was it? If it wasn't I'd love to hear about it. Final Fantasy Tactics: WotG is one of my most favorite games of all time.

Edit: A quick google-search seems to think it may be 'Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians' or 'War of the Visions: Final Fantasy Brave Exvius'. Could either of those be it?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 13:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Final Fantasy Tactics: WotG is one of my most favorite games of all time.

When did Final Fantasy Tactics do a Wings Of The Goddess crossover?
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-12-18 13:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

War of the Glions, man.

Also, original PS1 FFT with the old names (Argus, Balbanes, etc) or nothin.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 13:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol

Yes it has to be the vanilla version. Was his name Argus or ALgus? I know there were some NA Port translation fixes, I never played the ORIGINAL copy before the edits
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 13:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I played a game recently- a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my favourite games ever).

Do tell. It wasn't Tactics Ogre: LUCT, was it? If it wasn't I'd love to hear about it. Final Fantasy Tactics: WotG is one of my most favorite games of all time.
It's called Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. Honestly it's a really good game and I'd recommend it. It has a lot of quality-of-life benefits over Tactics and some really creative mechanics. My only complaint would be the way the job system functions. It's hard to explain, but it feels like there's always an obviously correct solution to every action.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 13:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
War of the Glions, man.

LOL

I used to think the same thing, but I recently bought the Mobile port of the game and it's mind-blowingly good. The sound and framerate are better than on the PS1 version, plus you get the cutscenes and new jobs included in the PSP version. Magnifique!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 14:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

War of the Glions, man.

LOL

I used to think the same thing, but I recently bought the Mobile port of the game and it's mind-blowingly good. The sound and framerate are better than on the PS1 version, plus you get the cutscenes and new jobs included in the PSP version. Magnifique!

alright i might have to pick up an emulator-version and check it uot. Never played WoTL because I had been fanboy glued to FFT since it came out and never wanted to hear anything about the "remake"
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 14:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

alright i might have to pick up an emulator-version and check it uot. Never played WoTL because I had been fanboy glued to FFT since it came out and never wanted to hear anything about the "remake"
War of the Lions on PSP is passable... it just had massive framerate issues and poor audio. It's so bad that you can't even play Summoner because the spell effects take the game to 1 FPS and it takes like 3 minutes just to watch Bahamut use Mega Flare.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-18 14:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

In that vein, all games need the ability to turn off visuals. I specifically (almost*) never use summoner/summons in FF games because of the huge time waste. (unless there's a fast forward button)

It's cool once, not so much after 10.

And the FFT OG vs PSP thing, the renamed jobs/abilities throws you for a loop. But it's cool, has new jobs.
 Odin.Juliano
Server: Odin
user: Julian
By Odin.Juliano 2020-12-18 14:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Absorb power in the sky and strike, Lightning stab!

Agrias Oaks was the original bamf
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 14:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
In that vein, all games need the ability to turn off visuals. I specifically (almost*) never use summoner/summons in FF games because of the huge time waste. (unless there's a fast forward button)

It's cool once, not so much after 10.
I wonder if that's on purpose. Basically the game's way of telling you to stop summoning the gods to inflict the fire of ten thousand evils on a bee.

"No you sit here and watch what you've done! That bee was just on its way back to drop off some pollen and you couldn't even give it the courtesy of a sword attack."
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-18 16:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That is funny. My finger-twitching muscle memory made me type that instead of WotL (War of the Lions). I didn't even notice, but I rarely proofread my stuff unless I have to go back in and edit in new images. Nice catch. *blushes* I'm Boo! Boo the fool!

To the PSP framerate issues, there is a patched .ISO floating around. You would have to google it up, but if you're into emulation of the PSP on your PC, try using your google-fu with the knowledge that the FFTWOTL slowdown patched ISO is 385,026 KB in size unzipped. PPSSPP is the standard in PSP emulation. Blah blah blah support the official release and I don't condone piracy. *cough*

Also, there is a program called LionEditor that lets you easily (for the most part) edit in the items that were dummied out (useless) or are only available in PVP or Team Up modes.

I'm also thinking about doing a fresh playthrough of Suikoden 2 because I simply LOVE that game so much. It came out at about the same time as Final Fantasy VIII and I saw it sitting at the counter at the Electronics Boutique when I was there to pick up my pre-order of FF8. I saw its guide and decided it looked cool too. Now Suikoden 2 is worth so much money and FF8 is looked at with mixed praise. (I disliked 8 for the draw/junction system. My OCD about drawing 99 of everything every time something new showed up killed that game for me. It is pretty though).

ALSO, on topic, I am thinking of playing through Bravely Default 1 because, as far as I can tell, it's a mainline Final Fantasy series game in all but name. It actually looks "more" classic Final Fantasy than 10~15 so I'm excited to try it out. The Fairy at the start of a new game guilts you into completing it so I'm obligated.
 Asura.Madotsukii
user: Madotsuki
By Asura.Madotsukii 2020-12-18 16:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

"Blame yourself or God." and "Animals have no God!!" are definitely high on my favorite quotes list to this day.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-18 16:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

WotL quotes?

Oh, and the WotL version allows you up to 24 (I think) units and the original capped at 16 (not including Guest units) so you are more free to keep every unique NPC unit that joins AND mess with some monsters a bit. You were much more limited with the original. I believe in the original you had JUST enough to keep every unique NPC including (Ladd, Lavian, Alicia, Boko). WotL also introduced new jobs and new unique NPCs Balthier and Luso AND some unique storyline stuff.

It is simply the better game. I am still fond of the original, but I am unlikely to ever pick it up again since WotL is just better.

Note: I mean the patched version without the slowdown on an emulator. From others posts on here, the mobile/pad version fixed it a bit too, but I have no experience with that version. SquareEnix has been... sketchy at best with mobile/app/pad ports of their games. *shudders the wrong turns made with the FF6 remake/remaster* Ugh. GBA version with restoration patches applied is still the best way to play that until a definitive version comes out. Maybe when they are done (if ever) mucking about with FF7 remake.

Damn it. I also need to do a 100% completion of FF3 for PSP.

Oh, and Refia and Leonora are waifu.

So many games to complete before I start back with FF11 full time again. >.< Another year of quarantine please! Gotta live that quarantine hikikomori life style.
[+]
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2020-12-18 16:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I played XIV and really enjoyed the storyline, the style-lock, the harvesting system, blue-mage was fun to do, also i got into a Free Company! They had fun group events, kept things very positive, and it felt like one of the most positive/immersive experiences I've had in years!
I loved PVP during PVP campaigns, I unlocked tons of style pieces, earned points towards mounts, and gained exp all at the same time! The game is as fun as you make it & how far you delve into the content.
I have a Machinist Dancer Bard Ninja all at 80 working on Thaumaturge, Monk, and other jobs. Worth the subscription, but it's tough to play 2 MMO's at once, and FFXI is where my heart is, so I boomerang back to this game.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-12-18 17:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
Thorny said:
if you're still operating under the impression that there is any skill involved, you most likely just want to pretend you have that skill and are in some way better than the other collectors.
Check.

The "skill" of a FFXI player is not necessarily anything outlandishly impressive, but it's noteworthy. People used to love watching Avesta do stuff in the game that was incredibly difficult to pull off, seemingly impossible for it's time.
And yet, everything Avesta did was easily accomplished(in many cases before he did it) by dozens if not hundreds of other players. Just about all of it followed one of 3 extremely basic, easy to repeat, patterns (dot>nuke>bind>run>repeat, slow>utsu>nuke with mp management and para if it sticks, or cere dagger melee with slow/para/utsu). If you were to show those videos to a professional gamer who had never played FFXI before, and give them a 10 minute rundown on how the abilities work, they would do it with very little difficulty.

Now, look at a world class player of any competitive game, be it league, overwatch, straight fps, or even smash bros. You can throw 5000 hours of practice and still not be on their level. People who think FFXI has skill are people who want to validate themselves through thinking FFXI has skill, nothing more.

There is a learning curve, and there's a ton of information you can familiarize yourself with in the game. But, that's not skill. It's knowledge, and while it's neat to know all the intricacies of the game(I know I've spent far too long on learning and testing them), it's not any sort of skill and someone who knows none of them can perform equally well with a few minutes of proper instruction.

Odin.Juliano said: »
completely unnecessary jab at autism
Wasn't really meant as a jab, I'm sure a good portion of posters here(likely including myself) are somewhere on the spectrum. It's just well known that those types of games appeal to people who are autistic.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-18 17:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7