First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 10:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »
ok but you're wrong, my statement in a vacuum is correct for every game possible. there's always going to be an optimal set of actions or a "rotation". "it's my 12.95 and i'll play the game how i want" doesn't make you special, it just means the game is easy as *** which is what i came to this argument with. it's a grinder, there is no difficulty. also not sure what you're doing that you're running out of mp or choosing the perfect time to berserk. still in the dunes?

i disagree that FFXI is any more nuanced than most other games. maybe ff14 is more cookie cutter than most
You know, you can make your point come across better by better wording choice than being aggressive as ***.

I know that's your personality regarding how you post here, this is hardly the first thread you post aggressive statements like this, but all you are doing is forcing people to tone you out.

Or block you. One of the two.

If you want to be taken seriously, you should try to not come across as a jerk. Just helping you here.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2020-12-18 10:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the things that I really like about FFXIV, and I wish was applied to XI, was the game being tuned after its development and QoL implementations. Granted, XIV has failed in a lot of their adjustments to the core system (tells are still broken), but there have been a lot of UI and base-game changes that have really upgraded the experience. Whereas in XI, the community has to rely on 3rd party programs for QoL changes, even banal ones that don't change how the game plays.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 10:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing I don't like in FFXIV that they need to have that FFXI has is a working blocklist.

I keep getting Free Company invites from the same god damn person for the same god damn company and I have to keep declining them every single time. It's harassment plain and simple.

The only way to block anyone in FFXIV is to actually be in a party with them and block them during the party. And even then, it doesn't accomplish anything at all! You can still end up in the same party as they are in!
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2020-12-18 10:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I literally formed an FC for myself alone to avoid that King.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 10:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you need 3 people to start a FC, but can you kick the other 2 and be the Army Company of 1?
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 10:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

ok but you're wrong, my statement in a vacuum is correct for every game possible. there's always going to be an optimal set of actions or a "rotation". "it's my 12.95 and i'll play the game how i want" doesn't make you special, it just means the game is easy as *** which is what i came to this argument with. it's a grinder, there is no difficulty.
I won't argue the game's difficulty because you're right about it being pretty easy now. At this point the creep of equipment has definitely made it more about "having good gear" than "playing one's job properly".

You're also right that there is technically an optimal way to hit buttons in every game ever. The difference with this argument is whether you know in advance what those buttons are or not. In FFXIV you do because every ability serves the same purpose as a part of a fixed rotation of abilities. Conversely in FFXI there are a lot of factors involved: what your teammates are doing, what the enemy's doing, what you've done and are planning on doing. There is no fixed rotation because the weaknesses of each job prohibit it. A Black Mage can't just toss spells one after the other in FFXI like they can in FFXIV because they will get aggro and die.

also not sure what you're doing that you're running out of mp or choosing the perfect time to berserk. still in the dunes?
There we go. There's the ad hominem.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2020-12-18 10:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 10:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's nice to know. I guess I have to find 2 saps I can start a FC with and kick them when all is said and done.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2020-12-18 10:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Well, that's nice to know. I guess I have to find 2 saps I can start a FC with and kick them when all is said and done.
Offer a small reward to two newer players, and just be upfront that it's a solo FC, and you won't have to kick them in an antagonistic way.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 10:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
A Black Mage can't just toss spells one after the other in FFXI like they can in FFXIV because they will get aggro and die.
Let's also not forget that FFXI BLMs can't spam spells forever and get infinite MP like FFXIV BLMs can. Convert can only last so long, and self-Refresh doesn't replace as much MP as you end up using up.

With FFXIV BLM, you just spam until out of MP, then switch to Blizzard and get full MP in less than 5 seconds, then switch back to spamming Fire spells.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 10:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Offer a small reward to two newer players, and just be upfront that it's a solo FC, and you won't have to kick them in an antagonistic way.
That's an idea, thanks!
 Sylph.Herbs
Server: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2020-12-18 10:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

In a way, the limitations made for a better experience. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

The old user interface and lack of alt tab lead to the creation of the windower community, which lead to a mass of addons and plugins we have today. This is why you're never going to have this kind of community built around FF14, there is no real need to offer anything better because what is there is adequate.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-12-18 10:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

also not sure what you're doing that you're running out of mp or choosing the perfect time to berserk. still in the dunes?
There we go. There's the ad hominem.

i understand why ff14 didn't go well if poking fun of you running out of mp in the dunes offended you.

for real though, unless you're soloing to 99 no one runs out of mp anymore, sorry
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2020-12-18 10:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

for real though, unless you're soloing to 99 no one runs out of mp anymore, sorry
Plenty of better players than you have run out of MP. Your elitism and reduction isn't cute.
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-12-18 10:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The long cooldowns, limited MP pools, and tradeoffs for many things in FFXI make a lot of things about choice. You have to adapt your strategy to win. Activating Berserk at a time just before you accidentally pull aggro will mean you have to disable it right away or else suffer huge damage. And by deactivating it, you have to wait a long time to use it again.

You have similar considerations in XIV. Either game can be vastly simplified, if that's the point someone wants to make. Or made to seem super complex.

For higher tier fights in XIV, you'd save some cooldowns for mechanics or burst phases, lined up with the group. While few cooldowns in XIV are as long as those in XI often are, most buffs are also comparably short lived (or ridiculously so, 15 seconds to 5, 10, 30 minutes or more). Since rotation is only half of it, with mechanics/uptime being the other, finding optimal times to put up damage buffs/etc is key for DPS checks can be important.

Otherwise, sure, the end result of jobs is very similar, and it's more the flavor of it, outside of the differences in how mechanics impact melee, magic, or ranged uptime.

Generally, it's a style that rewards being able to play more than simply collecting gear. Obviously, higher ilevel gear helps in XIV, but the default mode of doing most any content is capping it within a level and gear level range. It generally puts people on relatively even footing, relying more on their ability to play decently well than spend tons of time collecting stuff.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 10:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's also not forget that FFXI BLMs can't spam spells forever and get infinite MP like FFXIV BLMs can. Convert can only last so long, and self-Refresh doesn't replace as much MP as you end up using up.

With FFXIV BLM, you just spam until out of MP, then switch to Blizzard and get full MP in less than 5 seconds, then switch back to spamming Fire spells.
Exactly. In that sense you're not really making a decision, you're just hitting the next button in line. You aren't asking yourself "Should I cast a Fire spell or a Blizzard spell" it's "I still have MP so I will cast Fire" or "I can't cast Fire so I'll cast Blizzard".

Sylph.Herbs said: »
In a way, the limitations made for a better experience. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.
I've always said that about this game. The challenges it presented made the entire community band together. Before Square-Enix explained Enmity, we had already figured it out. Before they let us see our stats, we knew how they all worked. There exist story missions where the NPC's just say "talk to your fellow adventurers to find out the next step" because they wanted us to work together.

The roots of Final Fantasy XI are founded in a sense of community. The need to work together is the best thing about it, and is also the reason it failed the popularity contest. A lot of people simply don't want to work together, and that's why the went onto play games where you can solo grind your way to the level cap.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 10:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The long cooldowns, limited MP pools, and tradeoffs for many things in FFXI make a lot of things about choice. You have to adapt your strategy to win. Activating Berserk at a time just before you accidentally pull aggro will mean you have to disable it right away or else suffer huge damage. And by deactivating it, you have to wait a long time to use it again.

You have similar considerations in XIV. Either game can be vastly simplified, if that's the point someone wants to make. Or made to seem super complex.

For higher tier fights in XIV, you'd save some cooldowns for mechanics or burst phases, lined up with the group. While few cooldowns in XIV are as long as those in XI often are, most buffs are also comparably short lived (or ridiculously so, 15 seconds to 5, 10, 30 minutes or more). Since rotation is only half of it, with mechanics/uptime being the other, finding optimal times to put up damage buffs/etc is key for DPS checks can be important.

Otherwise, sure, the end result of jobs is very similar, and it's more the flavor of it, outside of the differences in how mechanics impact melee, magic, or ranged uptime.

Generally, it's a style that rewards being able to play more than simply collecting gear. Obviously, higher ilevel gear helps in XIV, but the default mode of doing most any content is capping it within a level and gear level range. It generally puts people on relatively even footing, relying more on their ability to play decently well than spend tons of time collecting stuff.
I actually really appreciate that explanation. Thank you!
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-12-18 10:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
FFXI in it's current state is an autism-fueled collection game.

The main appeal to FFXIV is for roleplayers and fetishists who can't get enough of their virtual avatar. It's without a doubt the #1 MMO for creepers trying to have cybersex with children.

100% accurate, this is all the analysis we need. Both games are piss-easy, they just cater to differing breeds of weirdo.
[+]
By ksoze 2020-12-18 10:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i've played it when it was in beta and it looked nice, but the timers of ja etc felt like a wow which i didn't like.

i actually like the
Quote:
FFXI in it's current state is an autism-fueled collection game
building and optimizing part of ffxi. creating sets and finding combos to defeat nms.

maybe i'm just old. :p
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-12-18 10:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what occult acumen and myrkr are for.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 11:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Vize said: »
ffxiv has an unlimited playtime free trial of ARR and HW up to lv60 cap

and the full version of the game is on sale right now for $30 till january 21st i think

I just booted up, gonna get back into it. Thanks Vize
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 11:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jdove said: »
That's what occult acumen and myrkr are for.
Since I don't have a BLM 99, I wouldn't know this.

But would Myrkr at 1000 TP refill full MP?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 11:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Between AF+3 body and Myrkr, BLM doesn't need for much MP restoral. Most BLMs barely require a Convert.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-18 11:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I curious, and this can be a yes/no answer, but:

Isn't Relic +3 body better and more preferred than AF+3 body?
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-12-18 11:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

AF+3 body is used for MP management, and nothing else. I wouldn't consider any BLM who doesn't have it to be a serious BLM, but it's situational.

Obviously, if you're doing Gaes Fete or something like that where your MP is constantly restored, you would not want to use AF. If you need your MP to last, AF is absolutely amazing to use periodically.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-18 11:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I curious, and this can be a yes/no answer, but:

Isn't Relic +3 body better and more preferred than AF+3 body?

I am saying, to your original point about Convert + Self Refresh; BLM has a few options for retaining/maintaining MP, it's hardly a concern anymore. Thorny mentioned it, but it's going to be a case where, when you NEED MP, you take advantage of Artifact/Myrkr. It doesn't have to refill MP completely since you can always recoup MP during any MB or whatever. For damage, you got with the better option for that, and then take a short break from damage to recover some MP. Basically the same purpose behind Myrkr, use it when you need it. I haven't even gotten into Aspir either.
 Asura.Madotsukii
user: Madotsuki
By Asura.Madotsukii 2020-12-18 11:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Tank stance dancing was pretty awesome but they removed it from the game.
This is probably the thing I miss the most. Smart stance dancing made tanking enjoyable and rewarding for me. The tanks also used to feel much more varied and different to utilize, but now they feel rather samey, just each has their own "dps burst" windows/abilities. Now their only major noteworthy differences are what few unique supportive defensive skills they offer (i.e. The Blackest Night, Nascent Flash , etc.) and their invulns.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-12-18 12:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You're also right that there is technically an optimal way to hit buttons in every game ever. The difference with this argument is whether you know in advance what those buttons are or not. In FFXIV you do because every ability serves the same purpose as a part of a fixed rotation of abilities. Conversely in FFXI there are a lot of factors involved: what your teammates are doing, what the enemy's doing, what you've done and are planning on doing. There is no fixed rotation because the weaknesses of each job prohibit it. A Black Mage can't just toss spells one after the other in FFXI like they can in FFXIV because they will get aggro and die.

You beat me to it.

WoW or FFXIV, your rotations are very static. Outside of the occasional long CD, it's 1 -> 2 -> 3, etc. FFXI, you may not even use X spell due to resistances. You may just use Y and maybe Z.

I'm not trying to condescend FFXIV's combat because it's fast and engaging and no matter what, you're pushing buttons but once you got the rotation down, all you really need to do is get better gear and ensure you move out of stuff.

Asura.Madotsukii said: »
This is probably the thing I miss the most.

I was never a fan of it. To me (personally, not speaking facts), it was just an superfluous activity due to the current design. No different than in WoW but some people liked it. They felt more engaged.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-12-18 12:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Madotsukii said: »
This is probably the thing I miss the most. Smart stance dancing made tanking enjoyable and rewarding for me. The tanks also used to feel much more varied and different to utilize, but now they feel rather samey, just each has their own "dps burst" windows/abilities. Now their only major noteworthy differences are what few unique supportive defensive skills they offer (i.e. The Blackest Night, Nascent Flash , etc.) and their invulns.
It's basically the same thing with the healers they've become more homogenized with every xpac. ARR, SCH lacked healing throughput while WHM lacked preemptive care. But now the difference between the healers is just who gives more PT support vs personal DPS. They all have enough throughput and preemptive options to handle everything. You never really bring WHM because a fight is more heal intensive you bring it because it does more DMGs.

They've decided to have every fight be basically do or die mechanics with tank 1shots and heavy raid damage. Tanks are all built to just survive 1shots and healers the same. It's almost a chicken or egg thing but they've pretty clearly designed all their fights the same way since ARR and homogenized to keep their 'everyone can do everything!' philosophy.

And from a casual perspective, that's fine. But from a I want interesting things perspective not so much imo.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-12-18 12:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Vize gonna get 10+ pages! /xmensalute
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7