Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 30 31 32 ... 129 130 131
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-03-28 02:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

On lockdown... watching a lot of One Piece and other animes...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-03-28 06:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
I'm surprised they are telling everyone to stay indoors and not also tell people they still need to get some sunlight still

Illuminati conspiracy.

They want to prove a non governamental organization (WHO) can control every country through fear.

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2020-03-28 07:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

this is going to be a big problem for a lot of older people as the days and weeks roll on.
By Draylo 2020-03-28 07:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we just end this already, tell the virus to go home
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 07:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's going to be months sadly.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-03-28 07:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
On lockdown... watching a lot of One Piece and other animes...

[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2020-03-28 08:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god, I can't stand those two
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 08:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

They are just peddling false hope. We are up to a year away from any "vaccine." It literally does not matter if the drug "works" on coronavirus if a side effect kills you 4 months from now.
By Draylo 2020-03-28 08:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Coronavirus cleaning up the environment for us!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 08:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, I'm sure the side effects are killing people, and not the coronavirus itself. Delusion.

Yes, we are ignoring the opinion section of Fox News, just like we are ignoring that British doctor that said millions will die.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2020-03-28 08:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
I still am amazed that we have preliminary numbers that show this has at least double is not 4x the spread rate and between 5 and 10 times the mortality rate, but because the final number isn't high enough yet its "not a problem". Simple math my 4th grader understands shows the potential and why such measures are taken now and not in the past.

^

The Rnaught of this is at least 3.5. For those unfamiliar with Biological terms like Rnaught:
Quote:
The formal definition of a disease's R0 is the number of cases, on average, an infected person will cause during their infectious period.
3.5 is more than double the rate of infection of any flu in the history of humanity. It's probably much higher than this and closer to 6. That's why it's so dangerous. The virus itself is not that inherently lethal.

People will die due the sheer number of cases and the fact that almost every health system in all countries will likely get overwhelmed. Look at Italy, a country with a very good national health system has about a 7% fatality rate. Of course many factors can be attributed to this fatality rate, but clearly their system is overwhelmed with the sheer number of cases.

Diseases, especially a virus with a high Rnaught, in general, spread quickly, have higher rate of mutation, are difficult to develop a vaccine for (due to rates of mutation).

If you get this are you going to die? Most likely not. Will it cause long term health problems? Again most likely not. The U.S. seems to have a 1-2% fatality rate, with probably 10% of those infected needing serious medical attention. An estimated 60 million americans got the swine flu in 2009. That disease had an Rnaught of 1.5 and killed 12,600. Simple math says be afraid.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 08:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

In the last 2 days the US has added over 35k new cases and had 700 deaths, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see its getting worse. New York believes their Apex will be 3 weeks from now. The Surgeon General has said New Orleans (way to go Mardi Gras), Chicago, and Detroit are candidates to become the next epicenter after New York. Even states with a low amount of cases are going on lockdown. Its realistic to believe shelter in place will be nation wide soon. This could last well into the summer.
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 08:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to talk about these things at least do a few minutes of google searches.

lol
[+]
By Draylo 2020-03-28 08:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

Coronavirus cleaning up the environment for us!
The air in my local park is nicer (road alongside it) and it is nicer to walk in town with a fraction of the people there. Mass extinction wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Maybe Thanos was right?
By Vishwambhari 2020-03-28 09:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you understand what a prophylactic is?

The doctors themselves are taking this drug right now.
The drug is safe to be used for malaria and has been used for many many years to treat that.
The FDA has cleared the drug to be used off-label.
The doctor in the video has stated he is using it right now on patients in his new york hospital and has had no deaths since.

A virus does not kill you (it is not inside you with a sword hacking away at you), the effects the virus causes in your lungs is what kill you due to other issues afterwards. If you're going to talk about these things at least do a few minutes of google searches.

I am aware you want doomsday only but we don't all have to do what you want.

To the best of my knowledge, hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is NOT recommended as general prophylaxis except in India. There's an ongoing trial going on (sponsored by Columbia University) on the usage of HCQ as PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) in healthy individuals (or asymptomatic, more correctly) with one or more documented risky exposures. It's true that (at least in italy, where it's not off-label anymore) we're using HCQ right now in people with a positive swab or chest ct scan, even without symptoms; the most recent scheme includes HCQ 3x 200mg/die (PO) for 5-7 days, together with either a macrolide or a 3rd gen Cephalosporin (such as Cefriaxone) for an average of 10 days. There's a big debate going on whether to include Low-molecular-weight heparin, for the documented cases of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)(among the main causes of death in infected young individuals) and corticosteroids (controversial findings).
Keep in mind that HCQ, among the other known side effects, has been found to be able to cause cardiac arrests due to QT prolongation, even more so if in association with macrolides, so it makes sense not to promote its widespread/non rational usage among healthy individuals.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-03-28 09:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
They are just peddling false hope. We are up to a year away from any "vaccine." It literally does not matter if the drug "works" on coronavirus if a side effect kills you 4 months from now.
A vaccine is easy to make...
Then why isn't there a vaccine for the common cold? Or for any form of hepatitis?

There are many viral diseases that have no vaccine. This particular corona virus might be one. We don't know yet.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 09:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Viciouss said: »
A vaccine is easy to make...
Then why isn't there a vaccine for the common cold? Or for any form of hepatitis?

There are many viral diseases that have no vaccine. This particular corona virus might be one. We don't know yet.

Because google hasn't found it yet.
[+]
By Vishwambhari 2020-03-28 09:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The doctor in the interview said he is using it himself as a prophylactic and has not been infected.
I'm a doctor too, and that statement makes no scientific sense whatsoever.

Garuda.Chanti said: »
That's correct, there are many infectious diseases for which we haven't been able to develop a molecule that induces a strong and durable immune response in the host. Although we do have a vaccine against HAV and HBV (both responsibile for hepatitis).
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Vishwambhari 2020-03-28 11:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Vishwambhari said: »
The doctor in the interview said he is using it himself as a prophylactic and has not been infected.
I'm a doctor too, and that statement makes no scientific sense whatsoever.

Yet that doctor said he is taking it and the following doctor stated that it has strong antiviral properties. I'm not a doctor or have any medical training obviously but that's what they said.

Is there a massive between SARS coronavirus and this coronavirus?

From what I read there is research that states it is a potent inhibitor of sars coronoavirus, would that be why they went to it as a cure this time?

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69

(this is form 2005 for sars)

Quote:
Background

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is caused by a newly discovered coronavirus (SARS-CoV). No effective prophylactic or post-exposure therapy is currently available.
Results

We report, however, that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage. In addition to the well-known functions of chloroquine such as elevations of endosomal pH, the drug appears to interfere with terminal glycosylation of the cellular receptor, angiotensin-converting enzyme 2. This may negatively influence the virus-receptor binding and abrogate the infection, with further ramifications by the elevation of vesicular pH, resulting in the inhibition of infection and spread of SARS CoV at clinically admissible concentrations.
Conclusion

Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection. In addition, the indirect immunofluorescence assay described herein represents a simple and rapid method for screening SARS-CoV antiviral compounds.
First of all, i want to say that I appreciate your enthusiasm. I had read that study before, and a colleague of mine even brought it up during one of the multidisciplinary meetings we had about COVID-19 in my hospital. Long story short, that's an "in vitro" model, meaning it works on the cells cultivated on a petri dish. We have no guarantee that's how it works in the human body (in vivo), mostly because almost every compound you take (orally or not) gets processed/modified by your liver to a certain extent. There are also other factors that play a role, like bioavailability and how well a drug can reach and stay in the organs you want it to go.
Right now, the general consensus is that, speaking about COVID-19, HCQ is proving effective for its immunomodulatory properties (decrease of the interleukin cascade, TNF-alpha expression and so on) rather than its (dubious) antiviral properties. Keep in mind, HCQ is not even our best drug in fighting severe cases of COVID-19, as it's unclear if it helps when the disease has progressed to respiratory failure. In those cases we tend to use Tocilizumab, which is an immunomodulatory drug, in a single administration.
The role of inflammation in COVID-19 pathogenesis and progression is becoming very clear over time, even when looking at its epidemiology: women and children (weaker immune system compared to adult males) usually get less severe forms, as well as younger non-obese subjects (body fat produces several interleukines, among all IL-6; while inflammation indexes usually rise with the age, mostly due to chronic damage to cells' DNA by oxygen radicals, which makes them release pro-apoptotic signaling and flags them to white cells).
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 30 31 32 ... 129 130 131