That Impeachment Thing....

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » That impeachment thing....
That impeachment thing....
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 60 61 62
By fonewear 2019-12-10 11:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

They can claim it's about "protecting Constitution etc" but mostly it's about distracting Americans of how bad their candidates are.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-12-10 11:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If they were that concerned about Trump they would have impeached him as soon as he was elected. Not one year before the next election.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-12-10 11:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Impeachment was not meant to be used to overturn an election. But I guess that is what the Democrats want to do.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-12-10 11:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll laugh really hard if the Republicans do the same thing to the Democrats. Then all the fake outrage by the liberals.

"You can't impeach our President in the same manner we did" !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 11:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
fonewear said: »
Really though. How does impeachment benefit the average American ?

You aren't going to make any profit out of it if that's the question since somehow every single issue seems to be about that with the republicans here.

Trump is being impeached because he crossed a line asking a foreign government a political favor to help him in the 2020 elections.

If this is seen as ok and not a big deal, then you are opening a massive can of worms.

Now sure, it won't pass the senate, but it's still the duty of congress to investigate/impeach. Just like Bill Clinton lying under oath, even if it's about a ***.

Oh please, the Democrats aren't doing this out of "duty". Obstruction in the Obama years was so heavy that 47 of the nation's 73 IG's signed a letter condemning him and his administration for stonewalling investigations and refusing to turn over necessary documents. And now the Democrats have a "duty" to impeach Trump for obstruction? Get your idealistic head out of the sand and give me a break. This is politics.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 11:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Pelosi wouldn't have started an impeachment proceeding until there was actually something impeachable.

Um, she just did, soooooooo........
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-12-10 11:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The funny thing is Trump can't even say his pressure campaign against the Ukraine is actually over. Sure he released the money, but his personal lawyer was literally just in Kiev trying to dig up dirt on the Bidens, and Trump was touting it. Whats that all about?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 11:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
And now the Democrats have a "duty" to impeach Trump for obstruction?

They aren't impeaching him over obstruction.

?

Yes they are. There are two articles drawn up. One for obstruction, one for abuse of power.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-10 11:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Like or hate Trump he is still our President. And you should want him to succeed. If you want him to fail you probably have some sort of mental disorder. Or are very petty.

He's an operative of the Canadian government, of course he wants the US President to fail, all the better to push his nations agenda.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-10 11:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

And now the Democrats have a "duty" to impeach Trump for obstruction?

They aren't impeaching him over obstruction.

?

Yes they are. There are two articles drawn up. One for obstruction, one for abuse of power.

They obstructed Hillary from taking the throne and abused his power by leading an economic boom.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-10 11:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Pelosi wouldn't have started an impeachment proceeding until there was actually something impeachable.

Um, she just did, soooooooo........

The police wouldn't charge you with a crime unless you committed that crime.

Lets think about that mind set for a minute and realize what it means to give those folks power.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 11:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The impeachment started because of the abuse of power, the obstruction part is because they did not comply with subpeonas on that investigation.

So no, the impeachment proceeding did not start because of obstruction.

Moving the goalposts doesn't help your case. Obstruction is obstruction, and Trump hasn't obstructed any more than the last president, but that is still half of the Democrat's case here. It's worth noting that the Democrats have been abusing their power to bring forth an abuse of power impeachment article. "Duty" was never a part of it. If their core constituents were against it, their "duty" would have been abandoned for political expedience in a heartbeat.
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-12-10 11:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember Obama ignoring Congressional subpoenas?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 11:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It amazes me that anyone could still think that things like this could happen in a vacuum, especially when nearly everyone involved is a politician. Even in public matters of law, politics often play a huge role in which cases get prosecuted and how heavily convicts get hit. You could commit a crime that gets a low-balled prison sentence 99% of the time only to have a someone in government decide on a whim that they want to "send a message". Boom, max sentence.

Impeachment is the most political procedure imaginable. They didn't "have" to do this. They want Trump gone. It's literally that simple.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
Server: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2019-12-10 12:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The impeachment started because of the abuse of power, the obstruction part is because they did not comply with subpeonas on that investigation.

So no, the impeachment proceeding did not start because of obstruction.

Moving the goalposts doesn't help your case. Obstruction is obstruction, and Trump hasn't obstructed any more than the last president

But this has nothing to do with the last president. When a person is charged with a crime, there is no legitimate defense that is based on other people's similar or same actions. There are 15k+ murders annually in the US, but a person charged with that crime cannot use the defense that others are murdering too. That is not logical thinking.

The obstruction article I believe is due to Trump ordering his staff to ignore subpoenas from Congress. That's about as obstructing as one can get.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 12:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »

He didn't.

He did. He tried to assert executive privilege in multiple instances, sometimes only turning over documents after years of court battles.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 12:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Moving the goalposts doesn't help your case.

Goalpost hasn't moved at all, you are spinning around it so much you are the only one moving.

That... makes no sense.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 12:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ozment said: »
There are 15k+ murders annually in the US, but a person charged with that crime cannot use the defense that others are murdering too.

Thanks, Sherlock, but you're missing the point again. The argument is about Shi's faulty claim that the Democrats are impeaching out of duty instead of for political reasons. Which, on one hand, is hilariously naive, and on the other hand is disproven by the way they have handled situations where their own people committed similar offenses.
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-12-10 13:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

He didn't.

He did. He tried to assert executive privilege in multiple instances, sometimes only turning over documents after years of court battles.

Thats not the same as ignoring Congressional subpoenas.
 Ragnarok.Ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2019-12-10 13:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

There are 15k+ murders annually in the US, but a person charged with that crime cannot use the defense that others are murdering too.

Thanks, Sherlock, but you're missing the point again. The argument is about Shi's faulty claim that the Democrats are impeaching out of duty instead of for political reasons. Which, on one hand, is hilariously naive, and on the other hand is disproven by the way they have handled situations where their own people committed similar offenses.

I wasn't referring to the discussion between you and Shi, nor do I care. I was referring to your claim that 'Trump hasn't obstructed any more than the last president' which isn't a legitimate defense in the impeachment process. Are you able to carry on a discussion minus the descriptive name calling? I know you are frustrated, but that behavior adds nothing of substance.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 13:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

He didn't.

Thats not the same as ignoring Congressional subpoenas.

"Ignoring"is a buzzword for the exercise of executive privilege when it comes to Trump. The fight is already in the courts. It's not like the requests were just tossed in the garbage.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-12-10 13:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't referring to the discussion between you and Shi, nor do I care. I was referring to your claim that 'Trump hasn't obstructed any more than the last president' which isn't a legitimate defense in the impeachment process. Are you able to carry on a discussion minus the descriptive name calling? I know you are frustrated, but that behavior adds nothing of substance.

?

When you add something of substance to a conversation, I will consider your request. For example, everything I posted was in direct reference to Shi's claim. I was not making the statement as an overall defense against impeachment. You cherry-picked a statement and made an incredibly obvious point that added nothing to the actual discussion, as evidenced by the fact that you failed yet again to quote a complete chain before responding to it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2019-12-10 14:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

?

When you add something of substance to a conversation, I will consider your request. For example, everything I posted was in direct reference to Shi's claim. I was not making the statement as an overall defense against impeachment. You cherry-picked a statement and made an incredibly obvious point that added nothing to the actual discussion, as evidenced by the fact that you failed yet again to quote a complete chain before responding to it.

No, I quoted the entire chain, everything in context...look again. Help me understand though, the comment 'Trump hasn't obstructed any more than the last president' means one thing in your conversation with Shi, yet something different when said to someone else? I just want to get it correct, so I can post up to your standards. Thanks!
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2019-12-10 15:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fast and Furious says hello...
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-12-10 15:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »

Fast and Furious says hello...

What does that have to do with refusing to comply with a Congressional subpoena?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 60 61 62