Ambuscade Vol.1 March 2019
 Asura.Crowned
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crowned
By Asura.Crowned 2019-03-13 22:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Autocast said: »
Doesn't even seem to matter but is everyone getting hit by the 99k a tank?

could be something similar to kin's death sentence in which he tends to not(ever?) use it unless the tanks threat is far above everyone elses? so maybe damage based on how much further ahead tanks enmity is than others?
I doubt it seeing as how throat slice is a full hate reset on whoever it hits. There were instances of our tanks getting one shotted by virulence out of nowhere and his hate had been floored multiple times already
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-13 22:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Autocast said: »
Doesn't even seem to matter but is everyone getting hit by the 99k a tank?

could be something similar to kin's death sentence in which he tends to not(ever?) use it unless the tanks threat is far above everyone elses? so maybe damage based on how much further ahead tanks enmity is than others?
No, one run the Runefencer took 99k, another run a Drk took 99k. Both reset, and no one CFH on any mob.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-03-15 05:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just here to confirm that 99k damage does exist. Hit our RUN for 99k, then turned and hit our SAM for 99k, back to back, so no idea what could be the issue.
 Asura.Schurzen
user: daNpwr
By Asura.Schurzen 2019-03-15 06:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like it's being magic bursted for max damage.

Darkness >> Everyone's Rancor 99,999
[+]
user: Hiraishin
By Asura.Hiraishinsenna 2019-03-15 06:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Schurzen said: »

yeah, you're right, in the screenshot I got it's right after a distortion
By Aerix 2019-03-15 09:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta love SE turning our tactics against us.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-03-15 11:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Migawari block the high-damage killshot moves this month or no? Was planning to bring ninja since it's an easy Ambu again.

Asura.Schurzen said: »

That makes perfect sense.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-15 11:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Even with his Sneak Attack missing, he can still outright kill you with the skillchain damage tacked on top. Happened a few times where I was looking straight at the shade.

Migawari doesn't work on sneak attack + stab (will one shot you if not facing it), but facing NM + DT set will reduce the stab and sc damage so that you may survive it. In either case, you have to be fast about turning towards the shade.

Not sure if you can Migawari the actual magic bursted Rancor damage (I assume you can), but I had zero success Migawari vs the shade's WS/+SC. Either he would kill me outright from the stab, or the stab+SC damage (turning to face him) would kill me anyways. Never got that far to get MB'd.
[+]
By Kronkeykong 2019-03-15 11:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

In Regards to the 99k.

Was playing DRK and got hit by it.

I think it has to do with a counter-measure to a hate-trade strategy to avoid the Darkness.

Scenario I died in:

PLD took Distortion, I pulled hate, Darkness did not go off on PLD, Instead Boss used Rancor, I took 99999. (Was taking 500 from it normally, had reset.) It was the only time someone died to 99k in our runs.

Wish I had a screenshot but wasn't thinking about it at the time.
By Zeota 2019-03-15 14:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds plausible since one of our SAMs ate one last night. Said SAM was hit with the distortion SC, but no darkness. Then it did Everyone's Revenge, which only did under 1000 for the rest of us, but 99k to him.
By Kronkeykong 2019-03-15 15:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeota said: »
Sounds plausible since one of our SAMs ate one last night. Said SAM was hit with the distortion SC, but no darkness. Then it did Everyone's Revenge, which only did under 1000 for the rest of us, but 99k to him.

The thing is I personally didn't get hit by the Distortion, the tank did. It could have still magic bursted the SAM if he got hit with the Distortion and then Grudge?
By Zeota 2019-03-15 15:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Kronkeykong said: »
Zeota said: »

The thing is I personally didn't get hit by the Distortion, the tank did. It could have still magic bursted the SAM if he got hit with the Distortion and then Grudge?

I probably should've clarified that the 2nd sam tore the monarch off the 1st sam that was hit by the distortion and subsequently ate the 99k revenge. Seems to support that "hate trading counter measure" theory.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-03-20 12:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Entrusting Wilt really helps if you have DDs who aren't reliable at turning/snapping into -DT. Should really help for PUGs in particular.
[+]
By soralin 2019-03-20 13:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not rancor that hits for 99k, its Virulence.

Can even see it in the log.

The tonberry will magic burst rancor, but if you lose hate, it will do virulence instead.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-21 11:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This month is raw dogshit. 30 minute queues in the middle of the week at 7am. Jesus christ.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2019-03-21 11:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
This month is raw dogshit. 30 minute queues in the middle of the week at 7am. Jesus christ.
Giving you any help is against all I believe in, but try about 2-5pm EST
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-21 11:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Queue is *** all day everyday. It's normally dead in the morning.

Midweek on the second/third weeks after update in the AM its dead as *** but this month it just wont stop. all day every day. 2am 5am noon 3 7 midnight its *** always 20 pages.
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-21 11:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Midweek on the second/third weeks after update in the AM its dead as *** but this month it just wont stop. all day every day. 2am 5am noon 3 7 midnight its *** always 20 pages.

yea its ***, easy ambu but these waits, Ill prolly leave my other toons out just because of the damn page waits.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-21 11:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Had a zero page wait on tuesday, was lovely. Lasted all of one run. Made the mistake of waking up early saturday morning and logging in to Ambuscade. For the love of god, NEVER do this. I had enough time to make the family breakfast, shower, vacuum the living room, and came back and it was still a 15 minute wait.
[+]
By volkom 2019-03-21 11:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

don't have this issue on underpopulated servers ~ should move away from the big servers and out into the country ones :)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-21 12:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a square problem, not a my wallet problem. Said it before, I'm not paying them to solve a problem. It's their job. Really not much excuse to have 16 servers with 80% of all population on 1 of them.

(still going to *** about it though!)
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-21 12:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The monthly campaigns give such a variety of content to make $/progress from, it's more about planning than it is anything. With so many people, at any given time, the lines for Omen (card campaigns), NNI, Einherjar, Ambu , HTBF (campaigns), Geat Feat etc vary and can be somewhat annoying. But it doesn't last too long, just have to find something else to do. Generally, during any rush hour prime time, nearly all of the primary activities are going to be booked, so you'll just need to tailor your hunting accordingly, or just deal with it.

The real problem is that many of these events are just done solo, so you have dozens of soloers in Ambuscade which clogs the line up. Nothing you can do about it unless you plan to take them along (which makes sense). For something like Omen swart farming or NNI, makes sense to solo so you keep your treasure.
[+]
By Aerison 2019-03-21 12:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

don't have this issue on underpopulated servers ~ should move away from the big servers and out into the country ones :)
Nah they can stay on Asura thanks.
[+]
By soralin 2019-03-21 13:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So the following works really well.

Pld Whm Geo Cor Smn Smn

The real key to the fight is Sacrosanctity and Rampart.

Pld goes /Blu, pull the Smn to the corner.

Everyone 1 hours, and Pld pops Rampart, Whm pops sacro.

Its imperitave everyone huddles up and stays in the corner, so even if someone pulls hate, monsters stay in Paladins AoE blu spell range.

Zerg down the Smn, with Sacro and Rampart both up you can easily soak up an Astral Flow, so you have plenty of time to Zerg the Smn down.

Once Smn is dead, kill Blm > Nin > Thf > Thf > Main boss

Just gotta watch out for the Nins Mijin Gakure.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-03-21 13:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's 2:30 EST and it's still ~10 pages btw

560 of 569

4:52 EST still 9 pages, we did slip one in that was only 5 though omg.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-21 13:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I am of the mindset that DRG is the ideal DD for this fight. Can multi-step as well as shed hate on throat stab hate loss. Or THF to help plant hate back on the tank after a loss.

DRG RUN GEO* COR BRD WHM
*can drop for another DRG

At some point, your tank will likely lose hate a few times per fight. This means someone will eventually die (happened every fight I've been in).
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-21 14:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I am of the mindset that DRG is the ideal DD for this fight. Can multi-step as well as shed hate on throat stab hate loss. Or THF to help plant hate back on the tank after a loss.

DRG RUN GEO* COR BRD WHM
*can drop for another DRG

At some point, your tank will likely lose hate a few times per fight. This means someone will eventually die (happened every fight I've been in).

Sam/drg imo. Can tank the boss fully using third eye / dt sets + high jump for hate shed.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2019-03-21 14:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Curious what mechanic we're missing then, there's no way it's just a random "*** off" move.
On that note, after resetting hate, I kill 1 tonberry; and haven't seen the max damage again. Obviously the sample size is too small from just me alone, and it's mostly anecdotal... but if others get the same result; it could be having a 0 hate. (Or w/e the hate is for killing the adds+smn)
By Pilipinoboi 2019-03-21 14:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My preferred setup:

RUN or PLD, WHM, GEO, BRD, Me (DRK), any DD.

Put up Dread Spikes after songs + Endark II. Dark Seal + Nether Void, target SMN, Tank runs in for aggro, Drain III Elemental. (Sit at 5-6k HP).

Sekkanoki Torcleaver = 50% SMN HP, gets off 1 AF, kill off in 1 more WS.

BLM, THF, THF, NIN, Boss.

Make sure you aren't locked on to target. When you pull hate and distortion goes off on you, turn to face ghost. Rinse and repeat til dead. Very rarely would I swap into DT set or die from darkness SC going off on me. My initial Drain 3 would last the whole fight if partner DD is solid DPS also. If weaker, I would have to recast Drain 3 on boss with dread/endark.

All in all, easy month which explains the ridiculous line ups.