You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 76 77 78 ... 97 98 99
 Valefor.Worlace
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2021-12-13 08:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Question, which I could not find going back through the entire thread. For Trueflight, which would be better to prioritize - MAB or WSD? Eg is it better to use Dingir Ring or Epamidanos's Ring?
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-12-13 09:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Worlace said: »
Question, which I could not find going back through the entire thread. For Trueflight, which would be better to prioritize - MAB or WSD? Eg is it better to use Dingir Ring or Epamidanos's Ring?

All depends on your set, really. if you have a lot of WSDMG in your sets, then adding more MAB would generally be more beneficial.

You can test your pieces/sets easily by going outside and using Trueflight on the same target a few times with the same amount of TP, ie 3k tp and see which piece provides more damage.
 Bahamut.Arioch
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Arioch 2021-12-13 09:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »

All depends on your set, really. if you have a lot of WSDMG in your sets, then adding more MAB would generally be more beneficial.

You can test your pieces/sets easily by going outside and using Trueflight on the same target a few times with the same amount of TP, ie 3k tp and see which piece provides more damage.

When Grey uses Trueflight he uses himself as the crossbow bolt, for extra dmg :3
[+]
By thesteja 2021-12-18 13:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

any recommended sub job for rng with level 20 master?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-12-18 13:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

thesteja said: »
any recommended sub job for rng with level 20 master?

What kind of situation are you talking about? Because honestly, our subjob choices these days are so dependent on the moment its hard to say "use this" as a universal statement.

In melee situations, giving up dual wield is almost never worth it for us, meaning /NIN or /DNC, and for me that boils down to what level of safety I need. If I can get away with /DNC, that always wins out in my book unless shadows are needed.

In shooting situations, /DRG has a lot of tools that we can take advantage of. And RNG naturally gets a lot of +PDL traits, so /DRK really only offers Last Resort. /WAR I find pedantic and overrated, personally. When buffed properly, damage is rarely our concern- its usually hate management outside of Annihilator moments. /SAM is a very dated subjob for RNG and has very little value these days.

The majority of what gained so far in terms of subjob growth with Master Levels comes from traits, not abilities. The major exceptions being /DNC offering "Building Flourish" and /DRG offering "Super Jump"- certainly not the only two things gained in terms of abilities, just the two I've found use for the most so far with Ranger.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-12-18 16:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
In melee situations, giving up dual wield is almost never worth it for us, meaning /NIN or /DNC, and for me that boils down to what level of safety I need. If I can get away with /DNC, that always wins out in my book unless shadows are needed.

And, I mean... the offhand weapon for shooting is pretty important too (especially for magical WS, which also have a bit less enmity risk), plus I'll happily take the /DNC skillchain bonus.

To me, my internal mental flowchart is something like:

* /DNC is my starting/default assumption

* If (a) I'm doing almost only melee for TP where the extra DW helps, or (b) shadows are necessary for survival: change to /NIN

* If doing ranged only and almost exclusively physical WS...
(a) if getting really poor atk+/def- buffs/debuffs, I'd consider /WAR for Berserk,
(b) if not, /DRG for WS damage and enmity control (even more potent now with MLs and Super Jump).

And really, I almost always feel comfortable on /DNC outside of fights where you'll die due to lack of shadows, or have to spam Last Stand and would pull hate without /DRG (though, in those situations Annihilator/Coronach is usually viable too).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-12-21 02:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there an Eagle Eye Shot (lol) set, or is it basically as much ranged attack (or PDL)/relic legs? I know it's a one-use ability, but didn't see one in the guide and the one on BG wiki is empty.
By SimonSes 2021-12-21 03:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say it's the same set as for Armageddon AM set but with relic legs.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-01-12 16:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Any reason to bother augmenting Kustawi +1 these days? I'm getting down to only having some pretty niche stuff that lacks hide augments. This is one of those that I always sorta thought maybe I'd augment some day after knocking out some higher priority pieces... but now that I'm there, not sure I'd really ever make much use of it.

I suppose it could theoretically be good for an offhand on a /DNC or /NIN (so, not Gaol) Last Stand build that needed Racc, but... I can't really even think of when I'd use that. Maybe the rare oddball Ambuscade, but for such an infrequent use case I'd prob just do /WAR or /DRG and Nusku Shield and feel fine even if it's slightly less than optimal.

Maybe more of a COR piece... With no Perun+1 on COR and lower Racc to begin with, probably still some better cases for COR to use it if you don't have a Rostam A/B (I only have a Rostam C right now) AND you really need Racc and are needing to do mostly Last Stand, likely with Fomalhaut. Even then, feels extremely niche these days to the point where IDK if it's really worth tossing hides at the dagger (and for me personally, although I occasionally play COR it's far more likely that I'd come RNG for any ranged fights).

But maybe I'm overlooking something and people do have situations where they still get legitimate use out of it?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-01-12 17:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems nice if you think that you need an extra 25 racc over other options. I can't think of any situation where I actually need that though, I'd probably take a second Perun over it for the STP
[+]
 Asura.Lordtrey
Server: Asura
user: Lordtrey
By Asura.Lordtrey 2022-01-12 17:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

And, I mean... the offhand weapon for shooting is pretty important too (especially for magical WS, which also have a bit less enmity risk), plus I'll happily take the /DNC skillchain bonus.

To me, my internal mental flowchart is something like:

* /DNC is my starting/default assumption

* If (a) I'm doing almost only melee for TP where the extra DW helps, or (b) shadows are necessary for survival: change to /NIN

* If doing ranged only and almost exclusively physical WS...
(a) if getting really poor atk+/def- buffs/debuffs, I'd consider /WAR for Berserk,
(b) if not, /DRG for WS damage and enmity control (even more potent now with MLs and Super Jump).

And really, I almost always feel comfortable on /DNC outside of fights where you'll die due to lack of shadows, or have to spam Last Stand and would pull hate without /DRG (though, in those situations Annihilator/Coronach is usually viable too).

Don't forget fencer bonus when /war . You do get crits and TP bonus out of the deal.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-01-12 23:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lordtrey said: »
Don't forget fencer bonus when /war . You do get crits and TP bonus out of the deal.

True, Fencer is something, but it's pretty small at 3% crit rate and 200 TP Bonus. Offhand weapon generally adds more value than Fencer (and Nusku Shield), even for physical WS focus with something like an offhand Ternion +1 for WSD+5%/AGI+10~15. Berserk is the real draw of /WAR, so if you are already capping ratk without Berserk and using physical WS, you're prob better off with /DRG or /DNC. Fencer's more of a nice little bonus if you happen to be using /WAR anyway (sort of like SC Bonus +8% is a perk on /DNC but probably not the reason you're choosing it).

And if you're using mostly magical WS, /WAR is far worse.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-01-13 03:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
But maybe I'm overlooking something and people do have situations where they still get legitimate use out of it?

Not for Ranger, but I use it on THF with Exalted Crossbow +1 when I swap in gashing bolts for low buff situations, like solo Shinryu.
[+]
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
Server: Cerberus
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2022-01-16 17:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, just finished Armageddon and I'm looking for an AM set, I found this one in the forum, is this the BIS to use currently, if not can you post yours, thanks.

I was thinking of replacing megha visor with R15 blistering sallet +1, or Ikenga gloves R0 over megha gloves, and what about begrudging ring instead of ilabrat?

sets["Armageddon Crit"] = {
range="Armageddon",
head="Meghanada Visor +2",
neck="Scout's Gorget +2",
ear1="Telos Earring",
ear2="Odr Earring",
body="Nisroch Jerkin",
hands="Mummu Wrists +2",
ring1="Ilabrat Ring",
ring2="Mummu Ring",
back="Belenus's Cape",
waist="K. Kachina Belt +1",
legs="Darraigner's Brais",
feet="Osh. Leggings +1"
}
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2022-01-16 18:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone done any Odyssey r20? What are ikekga TP augs?
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2022-01-16 19:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

https://gist.github.com/Chiaia/9bb22e7544239d636faf7bcc0de7372a
[+]
 Valefor.Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2022-01-16 19:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Does it make sense now to use fully augmented ikenga feet rather than nyame for WS, including trueflight, if you’re able to stand at the right distance? Since true shot is multiplicative, it should add more damage.

Similar question now about max aug ikenga hat and nyame body vs cohort cloak +1?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-01-16 20:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Does it make sense now to use fully augmented ikenga feet rather than nyame for WS, including trueflight, if you’re able to stand at the right distance? Since true shot is multiplicative, it should add more damage.

Similar question now about max aug ikenga hat and nyame body vs cohort cloak +1?

SE certainly is trying to tell RNGs something with all the +True Shot gear that was added with Odyssey....Ikenga Feet, Tellen Belt, Mpaca Bow...there's no doubt they want to make it viable for us to take time away from just raw shooting with tools like Hover Shot and boosting existing traits via gear like they're doing with True Shot.

I'm already using Ikenga Feet in my physical WS sets when at attack cap even if I can't always get to True Shot distance. We and DRKs have an easier job than other jobs in the game of taking advantage of +PDL gear, plus more AGI, more Ratk, and more Racc than Nyame. Add in the True Shot and all that amazing -Enmity, and I never miss the extra +WSD from using something else if buffed properly.

That being said, I'm not sure I can see myself using them with magical WSs. All that +WSD while still getting 30MAB (using Nyame Feet WSD path as the example) is hard to compete with, even considering True Shot's multiplicative properties.

The hat will end up with respectable MAB, but without any True Shot on that piece I think the debate is pretty straightforward. A better question might be Nyame Helm/Mail, both WSD path, against Cohort+1, and I'd lean strongly into the nyame pairing even just at R20, let alone beyond.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-01-17 08:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Does True shot even apply to magic WS? I thought it doesn't. Only physical ranged attack has distance correction and true shot is based on that. Anyone tested it?
 Asura.Mims
user: Ginza
By Asura.Mims 2022-01-17 09:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Does True shot even apply to magic WS? I thought it doesn't. Only physical ranged attack has distance correction and true shot is based on that. Anyone tested it?
True shot doesn't affect magical WS at all. If you have any doubts, just slap on /Sch, go sleep a bunny, and hit it with wildfire at varying ranges.

Now, one thing I would like confirmation on, is how True Shot affects multihit WS. When I first got my Gandiva I murdered quite a few bunnies in West Ronfaure testing it out. On the rare occasion where I missed the initial hit, it seemed like True Shot was not applying it's damage bonus to subsequent hits; that is to say it seemed to behave like WSD does.
This is extra unusual as we can clearly see True Shot applying to ranged attacks when Double and Triple shot proc.

Obviously this is an awkward thing to test as there are a limited number of multihit ranged WS, and Jishnu can crit which makes tracking expected damage even harder.
I'd love to see someone else do some testing to confirm or disprove this, I imagine Last Stand would be much more appropriate to the task of testing.

I really would like to be able to abuse True Shot fully with Gandiva, as it feels like Bows are poised to get much better use out of the job trait than guns, on account of monster AoE.
[+]
 Valefor.Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2022-01-17 17:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah did not know true shot did not affect things like trueflight. Thanks for clarification
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2022-01-20 17:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

But considering the rng uses guns 70% of the time these days is a true shot set even worth it? Considering guns need to be at 6.5Yalms and it apparently doesn’t work on Magic WS so no need for xbow. If DPSing that close might as well Zerg it to death.
By Veydal1 2022-01-21 01:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that was the point. Each ranged weapon has a "sweet spot" (true shot) distance from the target where your damage gets a bonus. This is rarely made use of as you're usually meleeing for TP or need to be further back than True Shot allows due to AoE. Long bow, such as Gandiva, has the most forgiving True Shot distance. Depending on the character model, you can be at the sweet spot while also avoiding the AoE that is probably the reason for you being on RNG.

I too wish we could be given more of a reason to use bow over guns. Before all the -enmity was readily available on gear these days, it was nice to have niche situations for almost all of our weapons. You had Annihilator when you needed to be careful about hate management, Foma when you needed the SC properties or you were mainly focused on WS dmg. Armageddon being the white damage machine that it is while still putting up respectable WS dmg, though you need to be more mindful of your hate...then there's Gandiva, for when you want to make use of a crit WS I guess? I love Gandiva, I think it's fun to use and of course we all love raining down lightning from the sky, but when it comes down to it, it's really just a worse version of Armageddon. Lower pDif, DEX mod WS, lower dmg potential all around. The only benefit it has is the True Shot distance being more forgiving.

Thankfully you can almost always get away with using Gandiva over Armageddon, unless you're really worried about being #1 on the parse. You'll still clear every fight just fine. Especially with Hover Shot now. Maybe things would be a little tighter on time in V20 Gaol? Not entirely sure. I admittedly haven't gone in since the update to see what the DPS check is like now for the typical RNG fights.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-01-21 05:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I view the mechanics of the v20 fights to be even more reason to place Annihilator on the top of any RNG's shopping list for a physical damage weapon. Sure, we've got great -enmity gear nowadays, but with the adds in v20 never going for who's 1st on the hate list, but initially heading for who's 2nd, using a weapon in fights like Arebati that still put out ridiculous numbers and never even cause the mob to look at you has even more value in my book.

Add to this the synergy Annihilator has working with a shooting COR who percentage wise is using a Fomalhaut. Coronach will chain in both directions with ALL the Last Stands, not just the AM-up ones. It will facilitate 3 steps in that situation, and it chains both Light and Darkness.

Finally, Coronach does not scale damage with TP, making it extremely spammable and pairs beautifully with Hover Shot/Double Shot up. WS-hover-doubleshot-WS....and repeat for eons. Annihilator gets ignored a lot because its white dmg isn't as big as Armageddon, and its single-view WSs appear lower in damage than Fomalhaut...but when you get 85% of both of those weapons in one weapon, don't need to scale TP, and never have to worry about hate, you realize that nothing else lets us shoot with reckless abandon like an Anni.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-01-21 06:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I used Annihilator only so far on Arabati V15. You still make some hate, because it also can crit for 30k sometimes, but you for sure should be behind COR on hate list, so you can shot whole time, while COR can deal with kiting when RDM will try to debuff.

Also loosing GEO or some attack buffs (depends on strategy) Annihilator's aftermath and +45 ratt are rather nice pros too.
[+]
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2022-01-21 07:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the things that my group has been doing for the v20 fights that were really pushing on every fight now.

SCH healer over whm.

While RNG gets a ton of -enmity, COR has slightly less, and SCH provides Regen 5 + Embrava for 200 hp a tick for 90% of the fight, Animus Minuo for -10 enmity, libra to see if were getting close to pulling hate, and usually at 30-40% we have the SCH use Caper Emissarius to Reset the entire party's hate back onto the tank, and we get to start from 0 again.

This also isnt just RNG specific, but any DD that you dont want pulling hate, Matamata for instance does buff wipe, and resetting your MNK/RDM/WAR DD hate back onto the tank can save a full buff wipe on your DDs.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-01-21 08:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What does Caper Emissarius do with add's hate when you use it like that? :O
By Brynach 2022-01-21 17:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Been wondering, do yall make any significant changes to midshot sets when you have multiple abilities or statuses up? For example, Armageddon AM3 and double shot, or camouflage, or any combination of those?
Double shot using mostly the Oshosi set and relic body, and AM3 or camouflage using more of a crit rate/dmg based set, im just wondering if anyone had considered where the sweet spot is to balance crit with double/triple shot.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-01-21 18:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Brynach said: »
do yall make any significant changes to midshot sets

I don't mean to piggy back off this question, but I had a similar thought for when the adds (particularly during Arebati) comes out. That Raaz hits so hard, I was wondering if the RNGs are using a -50% PDT build to withstand his brutal attacks. I got hit with a double attack for 2300 damage and got dropped instantly. Felt like at 75% I should be swapping into a DT shooting set for survival, since we were using GEO for Barrier. I don't see how any RNG can survive those hits otherwise.
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2022-01-21 20:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Brynach said: »
do yall make any significant changes to midshot sets

I don't mean to piggy back off this question, but I had a similar thought for when the adds (particularly during Arebati) comes out. That Raaz hits so hard, I was wondering if the RNGs are using a -50% PDT build to withstand his brutal attacks. I got hit with a double attack for 2300 damage and got dropped instantly. Felt like at 75% I should be swapping into a DT shooting set for survival, since we were using GEO for Barrier. I don't see how any RNG can survive those hits otherwise.

For such fights, staying engaged in full DT is ideal, because you will always swap back to it after shooting cycle is complete. On IDLE as well with DT whenever you disengage still remain in DT set.
Code

head="Malignance Chapeau",
body="Malignance Tabard",
hands="Malignance Gloves",
legs="Malignance Tights",
feet="Malignance Boots",
neck="Loricate Torque +1",
waist="Flume Belt +1",
left_ear="Genmei Earring",
right_ear="Infused Earring",
left_ring={ name="Gelatinous Ring +1", augments={'Path: A',}},
right_ring="Defending Ring",