New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 97 98 99
By SimonSes 2021-05-18 01:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Just wanted to say a thanks again to Kumani for maintaining the new sticky- 2 and a half years ago the RNG forum was still dealing with a non-iLvl "guide" and the change over to a modern one has really helped grow the job in my opinion.

Also, if you look at the long list of who he cites for help on the guide, you'll see a list of a helluva lot of names (myself included) who wanted nothing to do with the hell of maintaining a job forum sticky on ffxiah. Its a job that while not thankless, takes a lot of heat from us as well as constant following of threads, trends, and game growth.

Not saying let's ignore any changes- they're gonna happen and need adjusted- just wanted to say a lot of us didn't want the job <3

Yeah thank you Kumani.
You can add my hybrid ws calc too if none will find errors in it in next few days.
By kunami 2021-05-18 10:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanted to say a thanks again to Kumani for maintaining the new sticky- 2 and a half years ago the RNG forum was still dealing with a non-iLvl "guide" and the change over to a modern one has really helped grow the job in my opinion.

Also, if you look at the long list of who he cites for help on the guide, you'll see a list of a helluva lot of names (myself included) who wanted nothing to do with the hell of maintaining a job forum sticky on ffxiah. Its a job that while not thankless, takes a lot of heat from us as well as constant following of threads, trends, and game growth.

Not saying let's ignore any changes- they're gonna happen and need adjusted- just wanted to say a lot of us didn't want the job <3

Thanks friends. My name is misspelled though ^_^, anyway I made some HS/FA sets (from Demhar and Gotenn) last night but I am still thinking about whether we need a third box with alternate or suggested items or something. I will add the calculator in there somewhere. It could also probably use a LUA section since I frequently get PMs from people asking for "my" lua.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-18 10:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

kunami said: »

Thanks friends. My name is misspelled though ^_^,

I swear I gotta stop posting so late.
By SimonSes 2021-05-18 10:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks friends. My name is misspelled though ^_^,

I swear I gotta stop posting so late.

Lol and I copied from Caleb to not make a typo XD
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-18 10:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Lol and I copied from Caleb to not make a typo XD

I see wut u did thar...
 Sylph.Chocobro
Server: Sylph
user: Bilix
By Sylph.Chocobro 2021-05-18 13:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi! Is this the Ranger topic?
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-18 14:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks friends. My name is misspelled though ^_^, anyway I made some HS/FA sets (from Demhar and Gotenn) last night but I am still thinking about whether we need a third box with alternate or suggested items or something. I will add the calculator in there somewhere. It could also probably use a LUA section since I frequently get PMs from people asking for "my" lua.

Updated my Flaming Arrow Set using the calculator.
With this set you get to hit 99k~ at Hover Shot +25 @1000TP or @2250+TP Hover Shot +15

ItemSet 379840
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-18 14:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I added Magic Accuracy column for general info (not used in calculation). I added Carmine +1 gloves and capped Total Damage at 99999.
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-18 15:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I added Magic Accuracy column for general info (not used in calculation). I added Carmine +1 gloves and capped Total Damage at 99999.

Thank you!
Obviously this is not BIS set but it works with the least amount of augment dependency. It will definitely hold the lines until we slap on some augments on that Nyame Armor Set and slowly migrate/transition in that direction.
 Asura.Gotenn
Server: Asura
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-05-18 18:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think your going to have a ranged accuracy problem, your doing your testing on Apex Toads? that's like level 128? Test that set on Zerde and I bet your WS accuracy is like 50%
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2021-05-18 18:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Doubt it if you have 1hr preludes...
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-18 18:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This set might be low on racc, but we are talking about RNG here. RNG has really high base acc/racc anyway. That set sits at 1181 before any buffs/food. 1st hit (and only in this case) of the WS will receive 100racc bonus too, so thats 1281. That's pretty high racc before food/buffs.
[+]
 Asura.Gotenn
Server: Asura
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-05-18 19:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that non SV buffs on Fu, I would have to have 2 preludes and food just to stop seeing miss miss miss. Maybe I'm just seeing the Fudo effect, where my accuracy isnt actually that bad but I only notice the misses
By Garretts 2021-05-18 19:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's the fudo effect. SAM, and to a degree RNG WS alot.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-05-18 20:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone got any information on how the last patch affected Arrebati strategies. The V15 thread suggests having cor and ranger spam last stand with an abundance of agility and ranged attack buffs, but Arrebati is susceptible to fire damage. Would a setup with corsair spamming wildfire and ranger going hover/hotshot be better? And if so, what support jobs do you think are best. Tank, Ranger, Cor, Geo, Whm, are pretty set, but do you think bard or scholar would be more ideal as the 6th, and what buffs for them if so.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Padisharcreel 2021-05-18 22:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Arrebati isn't really susceptible to fire. He just doesn't absorb it. Piercing physical is the way to go.

My group hasn't used a WHM for any of the ranged strats in Gaol. Run Rng Cor Geo Brd Rdm. Very easy fight, just have the tank pack some panacea. On Rdm I think I only cast cure once in 3 fights

Our Rng was using Armageddon, but WF does garbage damage. AM3 on Rng and Cor then just spam Last Stand. Fomalhaut might be better but it's not an epic fight.

We did fury/torpor/entrust agi, rogue's/sam, hm/minuet/agi etude x2. Distract and flurry really help speed it up.
[+]
By Foxfire 2021-05-18 22:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So prefacing this with the fact that it was V5, but from a damage perspective, rng and cor were both doing super well - i used fomalhaut and anni for the sake of what i had available to me.

Our issue came around when the fetters came up; we didn't really gear for consistent crits and so that messed us up. I think running Arma (like, COR incl.) or just a crit build in general alongside rogue's roll would've alleviated our concerns. Outside of that, it was smooth. Maybe I'll get to try at v15 later this week but i haven't been very active for Odyssey so maybe someone else can do so.

God knows, maybe i can do my aman trove and get a Nisroch.
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-05-18 23:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Working through my rng lua to add in updates. Is there any reason whatsoever to think that Ikenga's doesn't just stomp over all non barrage+~1 gear options due to PDL and stp with a side order of -emnity?
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-05-18 23:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's very good for midshot. But some malignance pieces have better sTP, and they also have PDL. It's a bit of a tossup. I personally favor the ikegna where applicable because it also has ranged attack, whereas malignance doesn't. The sets in the sticky are still accurate.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-05-19 00:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth keeping in mind that Malignance has Racc+10 per piece versus Ikenga, and slightly more AGI (2~5) on all pieces except feet (where Ikenga has AGI+3). Breakdown below for 4/5 sets (assuming use of AF gloves, but not Desultor Tassets), major advantages for each set in bold:

Malignance: AGI+166 Racc+200 STP+38 PDL+16% DT-26%
Ikenga: AGI+160 Racc+160 Ratk+160 STP+36 PDL+20% Enm-32

IMO, it's worth maintaining both sets if you have them both, and just select which one to use situationally. OFC, you could also split the difference and just mix-and-match (2 of each and call it a day?)

I look at it based on why you're using Barrage:

1) Pure TP generation? Malignance, because for Mythic/Empy users, Barrage is often most useful for the express purpose of instantly getting to 3000tp to put up AM3. If you're fighting anything where you have the slightest concern about capping Racc, it's absolutely vital to get all the Racc you can since Barrage missing a single hit cancels all subsequent hits - and an effective Racc+44 edge is significant enough to matter. STP is very close between the two, so not a big factor. Of course, on content where you are absolutely sure you'll cap Racc in either set that's obviously less of a concern.

2) Damage? Ikenga, due to having Ratk where Malignance does not (and better able to take advantage of the fairly similar PDL+). That being said, if you're capped Ratk in either set due to buffs/debuffs, this may be a much more minor difference since PDL is pretty close in both.

3) Enmity? Ikenga, obviously. Also pairs nicely with the previous reason, by mitigating the additional enmity gained by Ikenga generating more damage. Certainly relevant for a lot of fights with one really dangerous NM, but might not always be so much of a concern - for example, perhaps you're using Annihilator or Arma/WF and not really generating sufficient hate to be worried, or maybe you're shooting a Dyna-D fodder mob that you know will die fast anyway.

Personally, I most often tend to be primarily concerned with #1, at the expense of maximizing damage generated from Barrage itself. So I lean toward keeping my 4/5 Malignance set as my default for Barrage. But I definitely see the arguments for Ikenga!
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-19 02:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's imo really rare that you will be shooting on RNG and you won't have at least base racc buffs. When you have RNG to shoot you usually also have COR there to shoot too. I can't imagine scenario where RNG will need to gear up racc for Barrage to hit racc cap. It would mean COR in that party has floored racc. RNG has like 130 more base racc than COR. Now you also have up to +100 racc from Hover shot and for Barrage you usually use Sharpshoot too, which is another 56 racc. I can't think of scenario where difference in racc between Malignance vs Ikenga would be a difference between hitting or missing. Misses on RNG are almost always because racc caps at 95% without Sharpshoot, so you will miss 5% of your shots no matter what.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-05-19 03:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's imo really rare that you will be shooting on RNG and you won't have at least base racc buffs

I guess you and I are different then, or maybe I don't know what you mean by "base racc buffs", because I very rarely have COR or BRD Racc buffs. There are just so many better COR rolls than Hunter's for most situations (unless you have... 6 rolls on?), and it has been ages since I've seen a BRD use Preludes. At most, Racc-wise I might have (1) Distract III on if there's a RDM, or (2) a Geo-Torpor bubble on the mob.

On the other hand, it's significantly more likely I'll be getting buffs/debuffs to help Ratk. Chaos Roll, Minuets, and Honor March are staples, Dia II+ is pretty much a given, Frailty/Fury and Defense down JAs/WS are common, and I'm more likely to be using food for Ratk over Racc on RNG. It's not that infrequent that you'll be capping attack and getting buffs that make up the 160 Ratk difference from 4/5 Malignance to 4/5 Ikenga, in which case the PDL+ difference between those two sets is what matters - and that's relatively minor.

But in any case... I generally don't really care how much damage my Barrages do anyway - I'm mostly using it for the TP. Squeezing out a couple thousand more damage on a 5min JA is better than not, sure. But it's usually more meaningful to go from 0-250tp to 3000tp and get Mythic/Empy AM3 up sooner. I realize you may still be capped Racc in many situations, but there are still evasive mobs out there in common endgame events: Wave 3 divergence, VD ambuscade, the difficult Geas Fete mobs, some Odyssey NMs. My view of Barrage is more "better safe than sorry". It really sucks to miss one of the first couple shots (and yes, I know that's more often due to 95%/99% cap), even more so if you were not capping acc.

The real consideration is probably whether I care enough about the Enm- in a given situation to pick that over Racc. And that's situational - I care on an NM that lives for a while where I'm not using Arma/WF, and I especially care when I'm using Last Stand. I don't really care much at all if I'm barraging something that's gonna die soon anyway (for instance, Divergence mobs other than wave 3 named Volte mobs or W2/W3 bosses).

But anyway, like I said, I see the arguments for Ikenga too. I just view it as often being more a matter of personal priorities/situational use. It's not like either a Malignance-focused set or an Ikenga-focused set is bad, they're both plenty justifiable as Barrage gear.
[+]
By Serjero 2021-05-19 05:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what he means, is often times the COR will need/want at the very least a Prelude + Honor March if doing a shooting based strat to help the COR get to capped R.acc. That being said, if you aren't asking for proper buffs for different fights you probably should. When doing ranged strat w/ COR + RNGs shooting it's almost always SV HM, Min(1-2), Etude(1-2), Prelude from the BRD that's like 300+ R.acc and 400-800+ R.atk or 150 R.Acc and 200-400 R.atk if no SV. But obviously buffs are situational and is dependent on party/alliance setup, the fight, rotating BRDs, etc...

Also with all those attack buffs and defense down debuffs why would you bother with r.atk food? You'll get more out of a 90-100 acc from food than ~150 attack from food if it's the difference between replacing an attack buff or other unique buff from a COR or BRD (70-108 R.acc compared to 200+ R.atk on say hunter's roll or prelude vs chaos or Minuet IV). Especially if you are ever finding R.Acc lacking.

I often notice people way over buff on either (or both) atk and acc and not adjusting based on what is actually needed. But I suppose most people don't actually notice or care. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I get to always tailor buffs to the party composition I'm running, in most content, but it's really not that hard to do so. Just find supports that actually listen and care.

But you are right as far as Malignance vs Ikenga goes the difference looks negligible, especially @R0. Though @R20 Ikenga has a massive boost overall to R.atk and makes up 20 of the 40 R.Acc difference. Trading some STP on the feet I suppose but the -enmity seems good if you aren't able to fit Dirge into the equation for buffs (because the COR needs Prelude).
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-05-19 07:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I really shouldn't have posted that at nearly 2 am as I was only asking about barrage sets, but the discussion is not unwelcome in general. "Luckily" for me, my rng only has malignance boots, so I'm generally in the clear on that aspect at least.
Serjero said: »
I often notice people way over buff on either (or both) atk and acc and not adjusting based on what is actually needed. But I suppose most people don't actually notice or care. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I get to always tailor buffs to the party composition I'm running, in most content, but it's really not that hard to do so. Just find supports that actually listen and care.
I think part of that is there is little to no references/charts for quickly determining where atk cap even is. People often just wing/guess it based on how many buffs they have or if some other person is able to use PDL. There could be a website somewhere listing the defense/evasion of common mobs/bosses so that I can do some quick/dirty math with determining my pdif, but I don't know where it is so that I can keep a tab open to compare my atk vs a boss/event ahead of time. Most spreadsheets have nothing in between Warder of Courage and an Apex mob so I can't get numbers from there.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-19 07:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
or maybe I don't know what you mean by "base racc buffs"

Even with something like this

ItemSet 379882

which is really low on racc in accessories/weapons/gun(assuming R0 Fomal) you will have something like 1325racc base. With just Marcato Honor, Racc food and Sharpshoot, you should be somewhere around 1560 racc. That should cap you on most things in the game. Most likely for anything that requires even higher evasion, you will have Distract or other debuff on (and/or you are in escha and you will have even more racc from vorseals). You also have Hover Shot now for stuff that dont die quickly, which is another potential up to 100 racc. Then there are also actual shooting weapons/shields if you really shooting and not just ranged WSing and Fomal can get another 30racc from augmenting. Armageddon has even more racc (37-52racc more than in above scenario) and you can also use it's bullets if you dont care about slightly lower damage. Gastra is on whole other level for Barrage accuracy too, +20-50racc on Gastra, +10racc more on ammo and +70racc from unique stat on it. So yeah 1550+ Racc is like worst scenario with melee weapons and no augment on REMA. You could push that to like 1610-1680 Racc.

Idk I think like Racc is last thing to worry about on RNG XD
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-19 09:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I took out things like Dedition and Chirich+1 rings from my Barrage and Empyrean weapon AM3 sets. Not due to being a hindrance on ranged stats like racc and ratk, mind you- but because they don't add damage. Who cares if I'm at 2208TP or 2800TP after a 2 miss barrage, or more likely: who cares if I'm at 3k TP or 3k TP after a 1 miss barrage.

I did the same thing for a long time, when the meta was WS>WS, and what happened in between was only a tool to get to that next WS. But white damage matters. In particular in scenarios where we're capping our WSdmg, its one of only two places to improve DPS once that happens.

Regarding Ikenga gear- keep in mind also those numbers Capuchin listed were pre-augments. Yes, the racc augment comes late, but it does mean even more ranged attack and a few unique stats here and there. I freaking love the set, and find it almost never a sacrifice when paired against malignance for RNG in pure shooting scenarios.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 97 98 99