You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 55 56 57 ... 97 98 99
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-28 05:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

wouldn't moving constantly make it problematic to make use of Decoy Shot?
Unless you move back and forth on the same axis between you and the target, with the tank in between, I guess.
By Draylo 2021-04-28 05:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

where are they getting their info from? That RNG is weak!
By SimonSes 2021-04-28 05:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
wouldn't moving constantly make it problematic to make use of Decoy Shot?
Unless you move back and forth on the same axis between you and the target, with the tank in between, I guess.

You have no imagination. Tank needs to obviously move with you :D
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-28 06:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly they're adjusting PLD spells for that purpose! lol

I dunno, this new JA sounds like the stupidest thing ever that SE could come out with, but I'll be glad to be proven wrong hey
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-04-28 06:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Nalfey
user: Nalf
By Asura.Nalfey 2021-04-28 06:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It could actually be interesting if it does apply to WeaponSkills. You would TP from far away then run in to critical range and WS.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-28 07:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that new ability on the surface runs completely opposite of what ranger would want to do. (when actually playing as ranged, not meleeing)

I mean, every shot you take a couple steps at the bare minimum that's going to literally cut dps in half, assuming ranged setup. Runs entirely counterintuitive. Unless the damage is like doubled every time you move.

Unless you can shoot once... run for 60 seconds to max the buff and then exploit it for full effect.
By SimonSes 2021-04-28 07:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nalfey said: »
It could actually be interesting if it does apply to WeaponSkills. You would TP from far away then run in to critical range and WS.

You would still lose tons of damage just not WSing immediately and shooting again asap instead. The damage boost would need to be broken to make up for it and we all know they wont make like +100% damage for running 10 yalms. Which means it will be useless, unless you have some spacial fight when you need to do damage in specific time windows anyway.

Unless its an ability, that requires you to run for 10 sec to max out like +20% damage buff, then you can stand in one place and take advantage of such buff for like 2minutes, with 5min cooldown. Then it would be good, but if you need to keep running between every shot to keep/restore buff, then its crap.
 Asura.Nalfey
user: Nalf
By Asura.Nalfey 2021-04-28 07:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I agree Simon, on rare occasions when you’re setting up SCs and waiting 2-3s for the window to open it could work but other than that it would be quite a big dps loss.
We’ll have to see how the ability actually works, if it is just a buff that triggers after moving a few yalms and give you a buff for 3-5min then yeah it could still be a nice little extra boost.

But to be quite honest I don't think RNG’s DPS is weak, I have Gandiva,Gastra,Anni,Forma all R15 and I’m doing just fine, even with Gandiva.
What I find in most cases is that the buffs from supports are not tailored for maximum dps from the RNG but rather for the other melee DD in the party.
When we do a separate range DD PT and melee DD PT with the correct specific buffs for the RNGs then the DPS is pretty much the same as the melee PT.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2021-04-28 07:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda weird that they didn't make the new JA do literally the exact opposite: damage bonus for not moving.
I'm expecting something along the lines of Consume Mana though in terms of potency. (would be nice to be wrong)
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2021-04-28 07:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Unless its an ability, that requires you to run for 10 sec to max out like +20% damage buff, then you can stand in one place and take advantage of such buff for like 2minutes, with 5min cooldown. Then it would be good, but if you need to keep running between every shot to keep/restore buff, then its crap.

It's also possible they could remove the need to stand still to shoot to accommodate it, or make it not require a lot of movement. IE, an Impetus style stack each time you shoot from different coordinates, allowing you to shift back and forth or something.

It does mention adding and adjusting abilities, plural, so perhaps there's a bit more coming than it sounds like.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-04-28 08:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The more updates they come out with the more it looks like they're trying to copy FFXIV systems.

Quote:
It's also possible they could remove the need to stand still to shoot to accommodate it

Which is how ranged attacks work in 14, but 14's battle system is also more dynamic and more scripted than 11's. Mobs don't announce their tp attacks with a glowing area of effect that everyone suddenly jumps out of the way from here, so copying that aspect of the ranged system has limited utility. On the surface it looks dumb, but we can't pass judgment until we know the rest of the details.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-04-28 08:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Which is how ranged attacks work in 14, but 14's battle system is also more dynamic and more scripted than 11's. Mobs don't announce their tp attacks with a glowing area of effect that everyone suddenly jumps out of the way from here, so copying that aspect of the ranged system has limited utility. On the surface it looks dumb, but we can't pass judgment until we know the rest of the details.

I honestly super doubt they can make such huge changes in mechanics at this point.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 09:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I read the description for Hover Shot and immediately said "that's going to be the most annoying thing for Geomancers ever".
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-28 09:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I read the description for Hover Shot and immediately said "that's going to be the most annoying thing for Geomancers ever".

The mere concept of moving is antithetical to FFXI
[+]
By GwenStacy 2021-04-28 09:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

happy my gastra is finished just in time for this update
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-04-28 09:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I honestly super doubt they can make such huge changes in mechanics at this point.

No, they can't. But that doesn't mean they can't make hover shot useful. We need to know the specifics before passing judgment.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 09:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a one second latency between server and client side. Meaning, if you move, you need to briefly stand still before shooting or casting, because you will get interrupted. I can just imagine how many "you move and are unable to perform that action" interrupts you will get with this new ability.
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2021-04-28 10:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

"dont pull yet, im charging up my hover shot!"
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-04-28 10:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok my Hover Shot is all charged up now

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Foxfire 2021-04-28 10:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't wait for it to be a stance that shares a timer with velocity shot or some stupid ***
[+]
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-04-28 10:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Was thinking it might be okay for roaming events like Odyssey, but you have to shoot first, then run lol.. I'm upsettispaghetti.

Personally, not sure how I would make ranger better, maybe tripleshot or doubleshot job traits or something.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-28 10:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Every Movie/Story with an Archer or Sniper ever: get a vantage point, conceal, and rain down hell as your targets melt and run.

SE: Let's make Ranger have to constantly move!

and if you wanna fix RNG via its abilities, change the Sweet Spot for True Shot, and push ALL of them back 3-8 yalms.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-28 11:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really going to depend how they do it. Typical good concept bad execution.

Shoot this mob, move to the next mob, shoot that one, stronger as you go. Sure. That works. Except that it only works where that works. Sounds obvious right. It doesn't work on bosses. You plant, your stay there. and bosses are where it matters.

So it's going to be heavily based on the concept execution, which is where square is consistent at doing poorly.

let's take Dienamis, you spend 30 minutes powering up, run from mob to mob, +1 +2 +3 +25% (whatever number) and then you get the increased damage for the statue. That works. IF it's an hour long stance.

Many unknowns.
[+]
By Foxfire 2021-04-28 11:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

it also depends on whether the dmg increase is worth all the downtime from moving in between shots (likely won't be, unless it applies to overall ws dmg). a rng with flurry or well-geared preshot is busting out shots back to back; why would you want them to move to begin with

this has significant hurdles they need to address but hey i'll keep expectations low and hope for the best
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-04-28 11:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what to tall ya SE...
oh man.... moving and shooting sounds like ff14 -.-"
Although Savage Blade is so easy, maybe for Odyssey segment farms this might be useful since you are constantly moving.... I guess we just have to see
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2021-04-28 12:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hover shot could work if it activates as a buff of some duration (say 1 min+), encouraging you to setup in a new snipers position quickly when the party moves and take advantage of the higher damage in an initial zerg/burst. If implemented like this it probably wouldn't add so much in longer fights but it could contrast well with the enmity control RNG has in those situations
[+]
By Pipster 2021-04-28 14:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Every Movie/Story with an Archer or Sniper ever: get a vantage point, conceal, and rain down hell as your targets melt and run.

SE: Let's make Ranger have to constantly move!

and if you wanna fix RNG via its abilities, change the Sweet Spot for True Shot, and push ALL of them back 3-8 yalms.

We get to be Legolas now! lol hop hop hop stab hop hop shoot hop hop shoot! It's what we always wanted lol

But seriously I feel like this goes against what they appeared to be building towards with True Shot, unless you run around the mob in a circle constantly in True Shot distance lol.....RNG = Chigoes lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-04-28 15:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

SE likes to get cute, but they already know the solution because they've done it before with MNK. Change the under-the-hood WS modifiers/fTP numbers on all WS's.

Easy as that. If RNG could consistently pump out weapon skills that are 40-50% better in terms of damage, people will play RNG again.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 55 56 57 ... 97 98 99