2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101
By jarhead402011 2024-06-13 12:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anybody have an up to date lua for ranger that isn't super confusing? Maybe one that can be used for a gear guide as well?
By Nariont 2024-06-13 13:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Donno about luas but

Quote:
More updated guide by Ahchoo over on BGwiki.
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-06-13 13:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

jarhead402011 said: »
Does anybody have an up to date lua for ranger that isn't super confusing? Maybe one that can be used for a gear guide as well?

What are you currently using? I can send you mine if you like, it's an Arislan-base if you know how to use that. I only use the gear-cycle functions, and there's some AM3/True Shot/Double Shot functions built in for ranged attacks. I don't use GearInfo, so none of the dual-wield sets have been updated; I build all sets assuming max haste and buffs.

I use macros to change main/sub and ranged weapon slots, the lua takes care of the rest.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A4VLUjLNLC9ZmjxOv4h86EVOsjBPhkwx/view?usp=sharing
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [53 days between previous and next post]
By Yurks 2024-08-06 00:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it just me or does sarv miss more often than one would hope?
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-08-06 01:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just you. You just notice it because it's one hit and a ranged weaponskill so it has a 95% accuracy cap. It's no worse than sidewinder or anything similar. It will always miss 5 times out of every 100. Laphria's Disaster is the same way, and yes I do notice when I'm on warrior and it misses in seg farms. It's annoying but it's really not that big of a deal. You're probably just used to spamming savage blade, which has a 99% accuracy cap.

the wiki page on hit rate lists the accuracy cap of any given weapon type. That's all there is to it really.
[+]
By Yurks 2024-08-06 08:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I’m familiar with the acc cap as I’ve missed at least 600 tachi fudo’s in my career. But you right, it’s probably just me thinking how much it stings when you miss a 3k sarv with the possibility of losing the bayeux arrow lol.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2024-08-06 09:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

3k tp whiff happens all the time, 5% my *** haha.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-08-06 10:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »

Do 1000 of them and parse the WSacc.

Observer bias is a thing and it's extremely prevalent in FFXI players.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-08-06 10:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It feels bad to miss.

1000 99k ws is what you expect you feel nothing. Missing 1 time feels devastating. No dopamine hit. Your feelies notice it more.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2024-08-06 11:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's not 100% accurate, it's 50% accurate.
[+]
By Yurks 2024-08-06 12:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

60% of the time, it hits every time.
[+]
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2024-08-06 12:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

I think the "haha" indicated a joke. don't you have 16 other threads to be a *** in.

edit: haha
[+]
By FoXDi3 2024-08-06 12:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

I think the "haha" indicated a joke. don't you have 16 other threads to be a *** in.

edit: haha

haha
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-08-06 13:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no multi attack procs to let to scratch it a tiny bit so every miss is a devastating full miss. I also bet you're not in true shot range 100% of the time so might not be as accuracy capped as you perceive yourself to be.
By Tathamet 2024-08-13 14:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to figure out how true shot stacks up. Is it job trait (tier III 7%) + job gifts (8%) + gear?

Or do the trait tiers stack (3%+5%+7%=15%)?
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-08-13 21:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Highest tier trait + gifts + gear. It's a straight muliplier to the physical ranged damage formula.
[+]
By paladinepsot 2024-08-14 14:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

<laughs in Tachi: Fudo>

If you run scoreboard, keep it going for a long time while you exclusively sarv and then type:
//sb reportstat wsavg p

It'll show you exactly what your observed hit rate is and how many total samples it took. That'll help eliminate observational bias and give you a target racc to add to your set
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
By Asura.Melliny 2024-08-15 08:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It'll show you exactly what your observed hit rate is and how many total samples it took. That'll help eliminate observational bias and give you a target racc to add to your set

There are only two fights you would bring a ranger to where the mobs evasion is high enough to warrant changing your gear set to improve ranged accuracy, and they're both master trials. Nothing outside Bahamut or August is going to have enough evasion to warrant changes otherwise. I haven't looked at my r acc in a while, but off the top of my head I remember my non-buffed ranged accuracy being in the ballpark of 1650-1700. We have more ranged accuracy than we need for pretty much any fight we would go to otherwise.

This is of course assuming you're geared properly, but if you're using sarv I'm going to have to assume you're dedicated to the job because it's not a common prime for people to choose, and only ranger can utilize it. These are he standard mid shot and weaponskill sets for sarv. Even if your gear isn't fully augmented or you have a few lower quality items, the difference shouldn't affect hit rate on anything you'll be fighting. Ranger, dancer, and dragoon are all blessed with such an abundance of accuracy they almost never need to make adjustments to their normal sets.

ItemSet 396013
ItemSet 393937

Obviously you can only have one voracious ring, and midshot sets get adjusted slightly based on the presence of flurry or not, but those are the templates. I use sroda's ring in place of epharamad's or cornelia's ring since I picked lehko's. But most of these sets are going to be pretty standard. There's a lot of JSE and the pieces are pretty accessible for anyone who would be at the level where they'd have stage 4 pinaka unlocked.
[+]
By Yurks 2024-08-15 20:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

We’re generally using the same sets for Sarv, and at ML35, I have roughly 1550 ranged acc with no food or buffs. Assuming we have similar buffs/food, our acc should be pretty similar. It’s observation bias, I was just complaining cuz I know we all felt that pain of seeing a missed Sarv. Anyways, how do you like the ponente sash over other options for the waist slot (aside from Tellen belt at true range)? I still found some of my numbers were better with fotia, but again my nyame is mostly R22-25 only. Perhaps pontente sash will be better when I get additional nyame ranks.
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2024-08-15 23:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sets look good. I've been messing around with the belt options and Fotia Belt does pull ahead in a none True Shot set.
[+]
By Dodik 2024-08-16 04:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Between Amini Caban and Nyame Mail for Sarv?

Seem to see Nyame Mail hit harder more consistently.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-08-16 08:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have velocity shot up, I've yet to see a situation where Amini doesn't come out on top honestly.

Edit: Sorry, reading comprehension I see you said specifically for Sarv. I'm not sure there.
 Asura.Melliny
By Asura.Melliny 2024-08-16 12:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference in damage on demhar's waist option screenshots is 0.004%. 78,803 versus 79,135 is a paltry four thousandths of a percent. With margins that small you may as well just pick an option and run with it. It won't make a difference one way or another.
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-08-16 15:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So take the one with accuracy, conserve tp, 1% chance to not spend tp, and not inventory -1 since you already carry it?
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
By Asura.Melliny 2024-08-16 16:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I get the same results as Demhar, even at 3k tp. Yeah, fotia is the best belt here. I agree. I've updated my gear set accordingly. As for nyame body.... I wouldn't use it.

This is with Amani Caban +3 and Sailfi belt +1

This is with Amani Caban +3 and Fotia belt

This is with Nyame Mail and Fotia belt

All weaponskills were performed at 3000 TP and exactly 20 yalms distance. Amani caban is just the ultimate weaponskill body IMO, provided velocity shot is up. When you're capped on attack it affords you 10 PDL, and when you're not capped on attack it gives a pretty ridiculous chunk of ranged attack. I'm pretty sure it's always gonna come out ahead. It also has higher ranged accuracy. Our empyrean body is just that good to weaponskill in.

Oh and I did the /checkparam btw. Ranger/dragoon with ternion dagger +1 offhand and stage 4 pinaka. Midshot accuracy was 1626 and sarv ranged accuracy was 1513 with the empyrean body. Ranged accuracy should never be an issue on any content outside master trials. This is completely unbuffed. No food. Nadda. Well... I had velocity shot up. But ya, thats a given when your shooting.

Hover shot stacks also raise ranged accuracy btw, and I didn't have hover shot turned on. With capped hover shot stacks my ranged accuracy would have been 100 higher, so 1726 midshot and 1613 weaponskill. Rangers don't miss when they shoot.... at least not until they do!! (Mlvl 40 here btw.)
[+]
 Asura.Cassiani
user: CodCart
By Asura.Cassiani 2024-08-19 09:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Anybody mind writing some words about subjobs? The OP was written pre-MLs, and the latest guide on the wiki is just gearsets. Not sure if the subjob priority has changed with MLs + aug'd odyssey gear, nor what situations are best for each subjob to shine.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-08-19 09:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Here are the writeups in the guide and then my notes about what they gained with the introduction of MLs.

WAR:
Best overall physical ranged subjob. Fencer's TP-bonus directly boosts Last Stand damage. Berserk and Warcry are massive sources of attack.
Gained with ML: Fencer II at ML45, DA II at ML5

DNC:
First choice for dual-wielding, also gives Skillchain damage bonus. Generally the preferred sub job when using Trueflight. Good for doing Abilities objective in Omen.
Gained with ML: SC bonus II at ML45

NIN:
When the situation calls for Utsusemi for survivability, this is the sub you will want.
Gained with ML: Nothing

DRG:
High Jump allows you to dump enmity if you need more of that. Received a buff in October 2019 that gave free 7% WSD.
Gained with ML: 3% WSD at ML30, Super Jump at ML5

I think the notes from the guide are still accurate with essentially no updates to when you would use them. The only thing I disagree with is /DNC over /NIN; technically if you're keeping up haste samba it will be more efficient at dual-wielding than /NIN, but stopping to use samba every minute and using TP on it won't be very efficient in my experience, YMMV. The SCD is not very relevant in a world where Nyame exists and also considering not every WS is making a skillchain in the first place.
 Asura.Melliny
By Asura.Melliny 2024-08-19 09:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Dragoon sub job is the best solution to sarv’s enmity generation issue. The bigger problem is the lack of content you’d want to bring ranger to. We have arrebati and the latest two master trials. Lion affords no sub job and the trials are an effort in futility. I’ve seen both of them. There’s a reason nobody’s cleared either of them yet. Personally I think they’re a waste of time.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-08-19 09:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd also argue that the WSD from /drg would be very comparable to Fencer from /war because it applies to both hits.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-08-19 09:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

/WAR also gets berserk and warcry, so it's not just Fencer vs WSD.

That said, /DRG is essential for enmity management if you're trying not to be murdered. If there's no tank and you can survive the hits of whatever you're fighting, the enmity management becomes a lot less important.

Really depends on the situation and (IMO) ML haven't changed which is for which situation.
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101