Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-31 14:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Patriclis said: »
Odin.Drakenv said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
This is a painful thread. #movetowhereveryouwantandgetplaying
After 14 topics asking the same thing “is asura a good place to transfer to?” A suggestion by someone else on one of those threads “why not have one thread to ask this question since we see it so much?” A thread was made for the pros and cons of going to asura so an unsure player can just look at this thread for answers.

Until it devolves into 40 pages of shitposting after which everyone ignores it for 6 months. Then someone will make a new thread asking the question and say "Well the other thread is old and I want an updated opinion and didn't want to Necro-Bump"
Nothing is wrong with necro bump if it’s informative:). Which a lot of things in this thread is. Or some people don’t use the internet as a tool or just stupid.
 Asura.Patriclis
Server: Asura
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 14:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

After 14 topics asking the same thing “is asura a good place to transfer to?” A suggestion by someone else on one of those threads “why not have one thread to ask this question since we see it so much?” A thread was made for the pros and cons of going to asura so an unsure player can just look at this thread for answers.

Until it devolves into 40 pages of shitposting after which everyone ignores it for 6 months. Then someone will make a new thread asking the question and say "Well the other thread is old and I want an updated opinion and didn't want to Necro-Bump"
Nothing is wrong with necro bump if it’s informative:). Which a lot of things in this thread is. Or some people don’t use the internet as a tool or just stupid.

Everyone knows that the only acceptable necro-bump is "I agree lol"
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-05-31 14:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be better is if we had a thread for other servers, to let people know why they should go there. Everyone knows what Asura is about, but no one seems to ask what other servers are doing. Pretty sure I got Cerb covered, so I'd love to see what Bahamut is about, or Odin, or any of the smaller servers. It shouldn't be about Asura all ..... the ..... time.

The only reason why Asura keeps getting brought up is for comedy/trolling/weak players who want to merc the game and not actually play it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-05-31 14:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the point I was making was that most people asking for REMA neither check to see if they have it or are using it, They are just asking for it for the sake of asking for it. There's leaders who shout for rema jobs and have zero rema (no names). You can just as easily join an ambuscade party as cor without having rema. Just this past week, someone on Asura shouted for a REMA SAVAGE BLADE CORSAIR (I'm not exaggerating this, either). I actually don't even know what the *** that is, since they aren't related. When we all pushed back, they came back with "well i just want someone who knows what they are doing". It's common on Asura, most are shouting for what they don't know why they need. Just following the crowd.

Thats why I said its half true. The vast majority of rema shouters are not to be taken seriously, and just join them with your onion sword. They likely will still lose the parse.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-31 14:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be better is if we had a thread for other servers, to let people know why they should go there. Everyone knows what Asura is about, but no one seems to ask what other servers are doing. Pretty sure I got Cerb covered, so I'd love to see what Bahamut is about, or Odin, or any of the smaller servers. It shouldn't be about Asura all ..... the ..... time.
Hmm (inspiration)
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 14:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I guess the point I was making was that most people asking for REMA neither check to see if they have it or are using it, They are just asking for it for the sake of asking for it. There's leaders who shout for rema jobs and have zero rema (no names). You can just as easily join an ambuscade party as cor without having rema. Just this past week, someone on Asura shouted for a REMA SAVAGE BLADE CORSAIR (I'm not exaggerating this, either). I actually don't even know what the *** that is, since they aren't related. When we all pushed back, they came back with "well i just want someone who knows what they are doing". It's common on Asura, most are shouting for what they don't know why they need. Just following the crowd.

Thats why I said its half true. The vast majority of rema shouters are not to be taken seriously, and just join them with your onion sword. They likely will still lose the parse.

Agreed. Also, you moved to Lakshmi? So that's why I haven't seen you around D: (Though I did just re-join the game a month or two ago)... assuming you're even the same Buukki XD
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-05-31 14:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I moved from Lakshmi to Asura. I just never changed my profile name.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 14:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I moved from Lakshmi to Asura. I just never changed my profile name.

Ahh. Gotcha.

Carry me through ambu VD epic dps galka-daddy.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-31 16:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

40 pages only someone like me could help with that !
By fonewear 2018-05-31 16:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I suggest we make a thread encouraging people to go to Phoenix there is about 20 people on the server and half of them are afk.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-31 16:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I suggest we make a thread encouraging people to go to Phoenix there is about 20 people on the server and half of them are afk.
Lol
[+]
By Afania 2018-05-31 18:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

is that the player at least enjoys that job enough to invest the time / gil into it.

Contrary to popular belief, the amount of dps a player could do actually isn't directly related to time/Gil investment. Its more about using resources smartly and engage/ws fast.

Shouting for rema DD is the worst way to judge DD quality, imo. And it creates a trend by promoting this bad and inaccurate way to judge DDs. This mentality of "if you work hard, you must be better" needs to stop, because Work smart > work hard.

How many new players waste 90m worth of Gil to build a ragnarok because community shout for it? The Gil could go directly to other gears like AF relic +3, those gears provides much bigger boost than a ragnarok.

But those who know how to work smart(prioritize better and cheaper gears) are forced to make inferior prioritization decisions because community firmly believes rema is the best way to judge DD.

If anything it brings avg DD quality down when DDs have to waste their Gil on an expensive, but almost useless college degree.

When we all pushed back, they came back with "well i just want someone who knows what they are doing".

I don't understand either....It's leaders job to tell what each member should be doing, not letting them figure out themselves.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-05-31 19:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Devil's advocate:

I can see why, in a vacuum of information, asking for REMA is done so frequently. It's quite literally just a litmus test for seeing someone's numerical advantage in a combat situation.

------------------------------------

In the level 75 days, I knew a guy who would check everybody's TP and WS sets before inviting people for PUGs for difficult fights. That worked for him (and the rest of us) because he could sniff out *** before we even left, but it also took a long time to do that for large party events.

With the numerical complexity of the game only increasing since the 75 days, there are more gearsets this guy would have to do if we wanted to take this same approach. You just can't do that. (Well, you could use the player's TP/Idle set as a proxy for player skill, but this still can be unreliable because... well, it doesn't actually tell you about DEPTH of knowledge)

The really only truly reliable way of finding a player's worth is through word-of-mouth and by... well, knowing ahead of time. You technically can check for accuracy, attack, and haste values, but even this is a weak measure of player performance in the grand scheme of things.

I agree that the common reliance on "REMA onry" is stupid, but what other way is there to prescreen candidates for a party without advance knowledge of playernames and without performing cognition-heavy screening tasks?
By Afania 2018-05-31 20:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
I agree that the common reliance on "REMA onry" is stupid, but what other way is there to prescreen candidates for a party without advance knowledge of playernames and without performing cognition-heavy screening tasks?

Personally, I'm against shouting for rema at all, because everytime when rema DD is being shout for, it encourages bad prioritization choices like building a ragnarok before +3 done. In the end players making better prioritization choices got push out of job market, or forced to make bad prioritization choices.

When it comes to ambuscade though, a good way to do it is to be open to a bigger difficulty range then use it as a way to judge DD and player quality. Here's steps, assuming starting from zero connections:

1) Shout for "Ambuscade N - VD team up 1/6". This way the pt is open to wider possibilities instead of being locked onto a VD goal. If you get skilled player or right support, you could move up to VD. If you don't get skilled players, at least N is acceptable to whoever respond because it's exactly what's being shout for.

Very often people start shouting for VD from the get go with something like this "Ambuscade VD veteran REMA DD Idris geo rema brd". Not only it takes longer to fill up like this, if pt doesn't work for whatever reason (usually due to lack of communication and synergy) pt will break because people will refuse to move to lower difficulty due to VD was what's being shout for.

2) once a pt is formed, judge the DD quality by record the kill speed and parses.

3) if pt kill speed is satisfactory, move to D and change buffs to acc buffs. You don't need super geared players x6 to do D. Support and coordination often makes biggest difference. The difference between pretty new DD in colada and pretty pro DD is just the difference of 3 min kill or 5 min kill. Assuming support and heals are on point. So it's not the end of the world to kill a few min slower.

4) (this is the important step) if you run into a strong DD on parse, take note of his name.

5) next time send tell directly to that strong DD you've met, ask him "would you like to do VD". Usually he would say yes because you already have previous success record in D, and DD always look for jobs.

6) shout for tank, support and heals for VD pt. As long as the support job can provide enough acc buffs with that strong DD in pt it would be enough to get a VD win, even if 2nd DD ended up being slightly weaker.

To get enough acc buffs, either use rema Idris brd geo like everyone else, or just sv/bolster to double the potency then reset after runs.

Many people will think sv and bolster is overkill, but in PUG with more uncontrollable factor, faster win=less mistakes. And it gives pt confidence. Plus a strong DD means nothing if attack/acc not capped.

As long as leader has the record of being able to make a winning VD run, it's not hard to recruit capable people from there.

The point is to create opportunity to pt with people to really gauge pt performance, but leave backup plans aka N if pt can't meet the performance requirement. Once you really know the people enough it's much easier to manage pt and get VD wins.

You actually don't need super DD for VD btw, support makes much bigger difference.

Obviously if you are DD yourself then you don't need to go through these steps, because you would know about pt fire power better than anyone. But from my experience, I'm more likely to make a successful VD pt on support myself. Support is really the key between good and horrible runs, DD not so much.

This way also works well because leader gets to know every member preferred playstyle and make adjustments for better pt synergy.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-05-31 20:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

Personally, I'm against shouting for rema at all, because everytime when rema DD is being shout for, it encourages bad prioritization choices like building a ragnarok before +3 done. In the end players making better prioritization choices got push out of job market, or forced to make bad prioritization choices.

When it comes to ambuscade though, a good way to do it is to be open to a bigger difficulty range then use it as a way to judge DD and player quality. Here's steps, assuming starting from zero connections:

1) Shout for "Ambuscade N - VD team up 1/6". This way the pt is open to wider possibilities instead of being locked onto a VD goal. If you get skilled player or right support, you could move up to VD. If you don't get skilled players, at least N is acceptable to whoever respond because it's exactly what's being shout for.

Very often people start shouting for VD from the get go with something like this "Ambuscade VD veteran REMA DD Idris geo rema brd". Not only it takes longer to fill up like this, if pt doesn't work for whatever reason (usually due to lack of communication and synergy) pt will break because people will refuse to move to lower difficulty due to VD was what's being shout for.

I think this is a good solution for most PUG content, since most content that you would shout for has variable difficulty (merit battles, ambuscade to name a few). I think the best leaders will note their successes and will continue to recruit from the same pool of people for PUG content (and possibly beyond).

This seems trickier to execute for, say, Escha or harder content, but in those situations you probably shouldn't be PUGing for that anyway.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-31 21:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's literally impossible to judge a player by gear, or knowledge.

No way to verify reaction and/or laziness.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-05-31 21:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's literally impossible to judge a player [by knowledge]

yeah you're right, I thought this dude I played with for 10 years and know a lot about was a good player but then I learned he likes pineapple on pizza and now I KNOW WHAT KIND OF PERSON HE REALLY IS
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-06-01 06:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Except when you do this (as I did last night) then you get an N-level SAM, a VE level BLU, and an E level BLU ... and have to waste time doing 20minute normal runs.

Maybe on Ragnarok people know what kind of content they can handle... and that must be nice. But on Asura, people always sign up for content they are not at the level to be doing. Either completely unaware of the level of content they should be doing, or are aware of it and are just trying to sneak in and be carried.

Yes, the 'REMA' thing is completely arbirtary, but it's nice to have some sort of bar-to-entry that we can use. And yes, you may get a completely pants-on-head moron with an almace, but a pants-on-head moron with an almace is better than a pants-on-head moron without one.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-06-01 06:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, when a BLU joins, they're all VE level BLU. There's no such thing as an N level BLU. They're all on appropriate jobs.

It's not even an assumption to know if they're purposely on blu, they're some tier of bad.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-06-01 07:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, when a BLU joins, they're all VE level BLU. There's no such thing as an N level BLU. They're all on appropriate jobs.

It's not even an assumption to know if they're purposely on blu, they're some tier of bad.

lulwut? I do VD this month on BLU easily. Good job for solo tanking the WAR.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-06-01 07:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I'm against shouting for rema at all
I shout for it time to time. Do I need to shout at all no but sometimes what I am doing doesn't require my alt, Girlfriend/ALT or friends and I figure I can carry for a bit. You be surprised on Asura how many people will try to sneak in with trash tier gear setups. One of the LSes I am in people complain when other shout groups groups ask them if they really have what was asked for in shouts but I 100% get it people are always trying to come in some 109 geared job even if you asked for something else. It's pretty bad on Asura what people will try to get away with if you don't check them or call them out in a tell.

I know you don't need REMA for most content hell my BLU would beat 95% of Asura using unity swords but there does seem to be some kind of threshold to shout for and like I said even on Asura people will just try to join even if you shout for that threshold.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-06-01 08:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
I know you don't need REMA for most content hell my BLU would beat 95% of Asura using unity swords but there does seem to be some kind of threshold to shout for and like I said even on Asura people will just try to join even if you shout for that threshold.

Preach.

Seriously the number of times that I get a /tell from someone begging to join my shout when they don't have the requirements. And not even REMA weapons. I can be shouting for a WHM for example and then I get a tell like "I'm a Summoner but I can heal as good as a white mage". Can summoner do that? can it really? did I miss the patch where summoner got the Curaga IV my setup needs?

See the thing is, you come on these forums and hear people constantly saying like "Oh you don't need to shout for REMA weapons" or "People shouting for specific requirements don't even know why they need them". Well in actuality some people actually DO know why they're shouting for specific things. And it can be very obnoxious to be shouting for something specific and get 5 other responses with "oh well, I dont have X but I can do it just as well with Y". Like no, if I wanted Y, and if Y would suffice, I would shout for Y.
By fonewear 2018-06-01 08:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's literally impossible to judge a player by gear, or knowledge.

No way to verify reaction and/or laziness.

I wasn't able to achieve 20,000 plus posts without getting a REMA keyboard...my keyboard glows and it increases my typing words per minute by 30%.

That isn't true it's very simple:

Glow elite best player on the server

Non-glow terrible player probably plays WHM with level 37 sub job with no job points.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2018-06-01 08:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Non-glow terrible player probably plays WHM with level 37 sub job with no job points.
hell who needs a sub job
[+]
By fonewear 2018-06-01 08:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Immortalmoon said: »
hell who needs a sub job

Make white mage great again....combine it with monk....you heal punch stuff in the face and hope people invite you.
By Afania 2018-06-01 10:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Except when you do this (as I did last night) then you get an N-level SAM, a VE level BLU, and an E level BLU ... and have to waste time doing 20minute normal runs.

Exactly what is "VE level DD" though? I've shouted that way and got Hepatizon weapon DD in nq ambuscade gears using sub optimal ws, I did D anyways and only took 10 min.

How BAD the gear has to be, to be considered "VE level DD?" Hep is basically ah weapon, nq ambuscade gear is nq. Both can be obtained easily by new people. A DD kinda has to be FAR worse than that to be "VE level DD" if the gears I listed above could clear D.

Asura.Chiaia said: »

Preach.

Seriously the number of times that I get a /tell from someone begging to join my shout when they don't have the requirements. And not even REMA weapons. I can be shouting for a WHM for example and then I get a tell like "I'm a Summoner but I can heal as good as a white mage". Can summoner do that? can it really? did I miss the patch where summoner got the Curaga IV my setup needs?

See the thing is, you come on these forums and hear people constantly saying like "Oh you don't need to shout for REMA weapons" or "People shouting for specific requirements don't even know why they need them". Well in actuality some people actually DO know why they're shouting for specific things. And it can be very obnoxious to be shouting for something specific and get 5 other responses with "oh well, I dont have X but I can do it just as well with Y". Like no, if I wanted Y, and if Y would suffice, I would shout for Y.

I would love to invite a SMN if they claim they can main heal. Always love to see players push the potential of their job to the max.

Hell I main healer several ambu on cor/whm. If cor could do it of course smn can.

Although if I let him in, I would probably on support/whm myself as safety net. That ensures the setup won't be complete fail, but still give others opportunity.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-06-01 10:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing I'll say about Asura is that moving here will cause your patience to run incredibly thin. Its like we don't have time for the bullsht anymore, and after wiping to the first SR boss, I just can't suffer any longer. On other servers I've been on to stick around and make it work. But if within the first few moments I realize people aren't following a basic strategy (like stand back frmo Ebullient nullification, use Indi Fade, etc etc), I resign all hope and am ready to bounce.

If you're a patient person, coming here might really test your levels a bit.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-06-01 10:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing I'll say about Asura is that moving here will cause your patience to run incredibly thin. Its like we don't have time for the bullsht anymore, and after wiping to the first SR boss, I just can't suffer any longer. On other servers I've been on to stick around and make it work. But if within the first few moments I realize people aren't following a basic strategy (like stand back frmo Ebullient nullification, use Indi Fade, etc etc), I resign all hope and am ready to bounce.

When I do PUG stuff I write down the names to know if they are *** or terrible players. That way you can know who to invite who not to invite.
By Afania 2018-06-01 10:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it seems like a "con" of the server. People almost never "rage quit" after 1 quick fail in PUG here, seems like a trend on Asura.

There's a guy from Asura joined a PUG and failed in one of the pop(but not all), he was like "this server is trash", I was like wut.....Is Asura THAT spoiled that everything has to be 100% win rare?

I don't know why, maybe the environment and others around you changes the nature of people? If you live a busy lifestyle in city with 200 things to do daily, even a 5 min wait in store could be painful. Living in a slower paced environment, everything just goes on and on.

If everyone always live an intense life as doing one simple N is serious business with no room for failing at all, I guess that's the REAL reason behind rema shout. Because this "if PUG fail I'm doomed" environment would push people look for best setup possible.
By Kodaijin 2018-06-01 10:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldnt call it rage quitting. I would call it not wasting your time dealing with people who wont follow basic strategy when you can literally get an entire new group in 10-15 min who will do the proper strategy.

This is easy to see on asura where you see SR shouts a dozen times a day. If the server is less populated where there is less PUGs for SR or any other event, then youd be more inclined to stay and figure it out.

So the Pro of Asura is if you get into a bad group, you can leave that group and immediately find a more competent group.

the con of Asura is experienced people with a low level of patience for PUGs wont give it an honest try if they see failure incoming.

Vs a smaller server where it would be this:
Pro: people are more forgiving and willing to make a group work
Con: if the group fails you will struggle to find another group when compared to a larger server.

I am guilty of this at times. If you wipe to a VD ambuscade 2x with no wins, there is no point in staying when you can literally disband and be in a new group who will win 5-6VDs in an hour.