Forum » FFXI » General » #movetoasura
#movetoasura
 Asura.Frod
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Frod 2018-05-30 19:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Pros: Frod offers to SMN burn all the things.
Cons: Frod never leaves Mhaura.
Unlike you scrubs i have smn burned all the things. There is nothing left.
[+]
 Asura.Kyaaadaaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Asura.Kyaaadaaa 2018-05-31 06:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I just recently moved to Asura from a much less populated server; heres MY pro's and con's:

Less population -
Pro: Pretty much everyone is a die hard FFXI player, they seem to know the content, know the jobs needed, the strategies that work and the ones that don't. If you get into a group, you're most likely going to succeed.
Cons: There are very very few pick up groups. If your play time is not during peak hours, you're probably not going to get a damn thing done that isn't dual boxed or solo-able. A linkshell can help, but only to some extent as your LS could easily be sleeping/working when you're playing, and vice versa. Also the population of a server may be mostly Japanese, American, or European, with little variation as the other locations have jumped servers.

More population (enter Asura) -
Pro: Numerous people at just about any hour. Pick up groups are easy to get. The server is a good melting pot of Japanese, American and/or European, and finding a LS that runs during your times is easier (though not guaranteed).
Cons: A larger population of peoples means a larger population of people who do not know content, do not know their jobs, do not have gear, and do not care about the above mentioned. You can find groups, but your chances of success vary wildly, and it takes canvasing your potential pick up partners for their gear, their knowledge of the content, and their attention span. Learn to expect setbacks and heartache.
 Asura.Patriclis
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 09:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pros:
- AH has items (even menial crap like flint stones get thrown up there).
- People are constantly shouting for content, especially omen, Dyna D, Ambuscade, and Aeonic NM kills, Sinister Reign.
- Pretty easy to meet people, lots of linkshells of various skill/gear level so you can find a linkshell that's geared around your level and do events with them.
- People doing events most hours of the day.
- If you're a solid player, and not a complete *** to people, it's not hard to find a group of friends to roll with.
- If you're a crafter or someone who can grind for gil for hours and not go insane (i.e if you have fat stacks of cash) then there are a lot of mercs that you can buy items from if you can't get a decent group to do it.
- Despite everything I'm going to say in the cons section... There are still decent people on Asura... you just might have to look a little harder.

Cons:
- All the really bad players that can't make it on the other less-populated servers have come here. Some of these people are open to learning and improving... others are just spiteful people who assume they're great players and the only reason they can't get anything done is that other people are big meanies.
- Due to the high number of really poor players, most people shout for "Veteran Master REMA" jobs to do content, either because they need a carry, or because they want to avoid getting anyone that's looking to be carried. This makes having a REMA job almost mandatory if you want to get a decent number of invites.
- There are a fair number of really obnoxious kids who troll in /yell.
- At any given time there are 9001 DD looking for a CP party, and exactly 0 GEOs, BRDs, CORs or BLMs. If you want to get CP on a DD job... good luck. (seriously this past month with the CP bonus I saw like 8 people shouting at one point, each for their own party, all looking for a Support or BLM.)
- Asura rides the bandwagon so hard it's moved in and starting picking out new paint colours for the dining hall. This means two things: 1. You're going to feel a lot of pressure to also jump on the bandwagon. 2. You'll often see an influx of people playing a bandwagon job (currently SMN) that are just AWFUL at it... because bad players think having the 'OP' job will make them good. Inviting the bandwagon job to your party can be very hazardous to your health. I'm not even kidding, I had a CP party with a summoner who hadn't unlocked garuda (and a number of other avatars) yet or capped summoning skill but "Its okay, It's only CP and I'm here to heal".
- All the ??? in Escha-Zitah can be occupied at times. If you don't have a spot you might be forced to leave and do something else for the time being. If you do have a spot, some *** won't care, and stroll right up and pop on the ??? you're using.
- In general, having a lot of people on the server can lead to some annoyances. Empyrean mobs are often camped, sometimes by botters. Escutcheons are also heavily botted.
- People merc alot of stuff. The prices are wayy to high. Higher tier linkshells would rather low-man content and merc the drops than add new players to their roster, and there is nothing in the game to detract them from doing so. If you don't have good gear and in-demand jobs, don't necessarily expect to get into a well-established linkshell.
- There are a few well-known trolly ***. Smokeone may be gone but there are no shortage of players intentionally vying for his spot of 'biggest *** in ffxi'. Seriously Asura is the server most known for housing ***... it's no surprise that some people think that their claim to fame is being the biggest *** they possibly can. And they're not necessarily wrong... everyone gets to know who the colossal *** and trolls are.

If you want an easy time on Asura and don't already have exceptionally geared jobs then my suggestion would this: Level BRD, make a Daurdabla and Gjallarhorn and do events as a 4song bard. You'll be able to get into most PUGs and then gear the jobs you actually care about. Just make sure you have enough magic accuracy to land lullaby. Alternatively, level GEO and get 900 skill. This is easier to do than BRD but the downside is that a lot of groups these days want you to have an Idris.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-31 10:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Patriclis said: »
Pros:
- AH has items (even menial crap like flint stones get thrown up there).
- People are constantly shouting for content, especially omen, Dyna D, Ambuscade, and Aeonic NM kills, Sinister Reign.
- Pretty easy to meet people, lots of linkshells of various skill/gear level so you can find a linkshell that's geared around your level and do events with them.
- People doing events most hours of the day.
- If you're a solid player, and not a complete *** to people, it's not hard to find a group of friends to roll with.
- If you're a crafter or someone who can grind for gil for hours and not go insane (i.e if you have fat stacks of cash) then there are a lot of mercs that you can buy items from if you can't get a decent group to do it.
- Despite everything I'm going to say in the cons section... There are still decent people on Asura... you just might have to look a little harder.

Cons:
- All the really bad players that can't make it on the other less-populated servers have come here. Some of these people are open to learning and improving... others are just spiteful people who assume they're great players and the only reason they can't get anything done is that other people are big meanies.
- Due to the high number of really poor players, most people shout for "Veteran Master REMA" jobs to do content, either because they need a carry, or because they want to avoid getting anyone that's looking to be carried. This makes having a REMA job almost mandatory if you want to get a decent number of invites.
- There are a fair number of really obnoxious kids who troll in /yell.
- At any given time there are 9001 DD looking for a CP party, and exactly 0 GEOs, BRDs, CORs or BLMs. If you want to get CP on a DD job... good luck. (seriously this past month with the CP bonus I saw like 8 people shouting at one point, each for their own party, all looking for a Support or BLM.)
- Asura rides the bandwagon so hard it's moved in and starting picking out new paint colours for the dining hall. This means two things: 1. You're going to feel a lot of pressure to also jump on the bandwagon. 2. You'll often see an influx of people playing a bandwagon job (currently SMN) that are just AWFUL at it... because bad players think having the 'OP' job will make them good. Inviting the bandwagon job to your party can be very hazardous to your health. I'm not even kidding, I had a CP party with a summoner who hadn't unlocked garuda (and a number of other avatars) yet or capped summoning skill but "Its okay, It's only CP and I'm here to heal".
- All the ??? in Escha-Zitah can be occupied at times. If you don't have a spot you might be forced to leave and do something else for the time being. If you do have a spot, some *** won't care, and stroll right up and pop on the ??? you're using.
- In general, having a lot of people on the server can lead to some annoyances. Empyrean mobs are often camped, sometimes by botters. Escutcheons are also heavily botted.
- People merc alot of stuff. The prices are wayy to high. Higher tier linkshells would rather low-man content and merc the drops than add new players to their roster, and there is nothing in the game to detract them from doing so. If you don't have good gear and in-demand jobs, don't necessarily expect to get into a well-established linkshell.
- There are a few well-known trolly ***. Smokeone may be gone but there are no shortage of players intentionally vying for his spot of 'biggest *** in ffxi'. Seriously Asura is the server most known for housing ***... it's no surprise that some people think that their claim to fame is being the biggest *** they possibly can. And they're not necessarily wrong... everyone gets to know who the colossal *** and trolls are.

If you want an easy time on Asura and don't already have exceptionally geared jobs then my suggestion would this: Level BRD, make a Daurdabla and Gjallarhorn and do events as a 4song bard. You'll be able to get into most PUGs and then gear the jobs you actually care about. Just make sure you have enough magic accuracy to land lullaby. Alternatively, level GEO and get 900 skill. This is easier to do than BRD but the downside is that a lot of groups these days want you to have an Idris.

I really enjoyed this response. Breaks it down for people curious about moving to Asura. Even got me thinking about it and a lot of my old friends from siren moved there with their linkshell. I hope people who are unsure about Asura reads your response.

For everyone else please remember this topic is here for people who are unsure about moving to Asura not arguing or questioning people’s experiences thank you.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-31 10:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

How is it a con of Asura that no support jobs and healers want to CP? Surely that is normal across all servers as these jobs get invites first.
I didn't have any exceptionally geared jobs before making Aeonics on two accounts in a month from scratch. Played WHM on one and COR on the other for the few difficult fights. 900 skill GEO can get stuff done too, as you say.
I agree about this issue being across servers.
By Afania 2018-05-31 10:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The suggestion on brd for new player is spot on....Brd is a great starting job because it's way less competitive than dd and cor, and it requires less reflex/knowledge/situational awareness than tank and healer.

Don't even need 4 songs for endgame until higher lv ones like ambu VD. 3 songs is enough. Don't understand people's obsession with Gjallarhorn as well, it's just +1 over alternative which equals to 6 to 12 acc from normal song combo March x2 madrigal. Never really understand why everyone keep saying new players should avoid brd until every single rema obtained because nq brd is hot garbage or something.
[+]
By axetofall 2018-05-31 10:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It’s also boring af and will kill most players’ drive to play the game. *** Bard. Bard sucks.
[+]
By Afania 2018-05-31 11:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

axetofall said: »
It’s also boring af and will kill most players’ drive to play the game. *** Bard. Bard sucks.

Whats so boring about it =.=? The job can do many things to support party, if extra support isn't needed they can swing their dagger too....

Not like every new players favorite job cor is more "fun" since we just do 2 Rolls and spam savage, that's the same as brd do 3 songs then spam rudras.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-31 11:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Please stay on topic.
[+]
By Kodaijin 2018-05-31 11:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cons:

Afania said: »
The suggestion on brd for new player is spot on....Brd is a great starting job because it's way less competitive than dd and cor, and it requires less reflex/knowledge/situational awareness than tank and healer.

Don't even need 4 songs for endgame until higher lv ones like ambu VD. 3 songs is enough. Don't understand people's obsession with Gjallarhorn as well, it's just +1 over alternative which equals to 6 to 12 acc from normal song combo March x2 madrigal. Never really understand why everyone keep saying new players should avoid brd until every single rema obtained because nq brd is hot garbage or something.

Patriclis' post is pretty accurate. The cons that he elaborated on are normally just summed up as there are a lot of crappy players who take short cuts and where there is a higher population there is a higher number of both good and bad players. The bad ones just stick out more while the good ones band together and get stuff done.

Regarding bard, you can get a sparks instrument and the JSE 3 song harp and get going fast with some AF3. Absolutely correct. however, on a high population server like asura, you get exactly what Patriclis said... someone will spend a couple minutes getting the bare minimum and jump right in without knowing the basics of the job. The meaning, benefit and strategies around certain job abilities.

Why is G-horn often required? Because you dont need to AG it, Aegis and G-horn are the cheapest of relics to make and maximize. 4 song is much harder, relatively speaking, to make. But being able to spend 40-50ish mil to make a ghorn or spend a couple of days to farm it shows that the player is serious.

Of course, if you are in a group and they know you and your competency, then they probably wouldnt have an issue with a 3song non-relic party member.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-05-31 11:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

*** Bard. Bard sucks.
I've never agreed with anything on this site more than this post.
I appreciate the bards that wasted their time and money making R/E/As to make the world a better place, but I have no desire to be one.

nq brd is hot garbage
Odin.Drakenv said: »
Please stay on topic.
Yeah, this was an Asura shitposting thread; not the bard forums.
What the *** people.
[+]
By Afania 2018-05-31 11:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Kodaijin said: »

Patriclis' post is pretty accurate. The cons that he elaborated on are normally just summed up as there are a lot of crappy players who take short cuts and where there is a higher population there is a higher number of both good and bad players. The bad ones just stick out more while the good ones band together and get stuff done.

Personally, I don't find PUG quality high on small server at all. I have no idea why people has this wrong perception of small server has nothing but good players. There's a giant great wall between "player with endgame ls" and "player without Endgame ls and has to PUG" on small server.

Those without Endgame ls or unable to get in, won't have ways to clear content like T4/kirin/woc/Omen, nor have gears from it. Nor they posses high level of Endgame knowledge to perform properly in pt because they don't have any way to learn. Serious players either join ls in the end, or left long ago. People that you get from PUG are normally people who doesn't care about things in game.

Objectively speaking, Asura should have the highest PUG quality across all servers. Those who complain about Asura PUG, aren't comparing Asura PUG quality with small server PUG quality, they are comparing Asura PUG with established static/ls/friends. Of course established ls and static or friends would perform better, regardless of server.

However, the rema requirement and fast paced/competitive nature of Asura could result tons of stress for more casual players, make them feel like they need all these things or be an awesome player to join groups, or ride the rema/smn bandwagon. While small server tends to be more slow paced and tolerant towards mistakes or people in sub optimal gears.

It's really just the choice of lifestyle. Do you prefer to live in a fast paced environment in which everyone is impatient, demanding and intense, or everyone being more laid back, chill and quiet.
By fonewear 2018-05-31 11:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Please stay on topic.

This is Asura that topic is herp the derp di derpty do ELITE REMA only !
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-05-31 12:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I don't find PUG quality high on small server at all. I have no idea why people has this wrong perception of small server has nothing but good players.
I frequently offer our server's JPs a quality gaijin-smash CP party or to team up with them if I see them struggling with bats in Dho Gates.
And if they refuse, I whip out my warrior and make them find a different camp/zone/server for being li'l racists.

Objectively speaking, Asura should have the highest PUG quality across all servers. Those who complain about Asura PUG, aren't comparing Asura PUG quality with small server PUG quality, they are comparing Asura PUG with established static/ls/friends.
This is everywhere and once you've suckled that teet, everything else feels like hot garbage.
Coincidentally, Asura has made Carbuncle an overall better place by sucking entire linkshells of shitty PUG players off of our server.

Do you prefer to live in a mental asylum with screeching retards constantly shitting their pants or everyone being chill?
HARD CHOICE, FRIEND.
Let's just ask Huffington Post to write an article about how great it is to be on Asura and be done with it.
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 12:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

How is it a con of Asura that no support jobs and healers want to CP? Surely that is normal across all servers as these jobs get invites first.

So then it's a con of all servers... it's still a con though.
The point is more to point out the fact that even though its a bigger server, getting a CP party as certain jobs is still rough.

True, you could easily get into groups as a 3song 'NQ Bard' and do reasonably well, especially since moonbow whistle is 250k now... its not at all hard to get a good boost on your songs. My suggestion of going for HQ bard is more for getting into 'higher tier' groups. It's just the easiest way to get a REMA level job, as daurdabla + gjallarhorn cost ~170m together which is 30m cheaper than a single afterglowed mythic and only 20m more expensive than a single afterglowed empyrean. And yes, while an NQ bard can perform pretty well ... it's actual performance is overall irrelevant when PUGing. You could literally be a jesus-level bard ... if someone's shouting for a 4song glajerbard and you don't have that... they will tell you to piss off. If you do a bunch of CP parties or low/mid tier content as bard, prove yourself to be awesome, and make a bunch of friends that are happy to take you to events... then yeah you can get away with not being HQ right away.
By fonewear 2018-05-31 12:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I considered bard but once you go bard you don't go back.
By fonewear 2018-05-31 12:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So then it's a con of all servers... it's still a con though.
The point is more to point out the fact that even though its a bigger server, getting a CP party as certain jobs is still rough.

True, you could easily get into groups as a 3song 'NQ Bard' and do reasonably well, especially since moonbow whistle is 250k now... its not at all hard to get a good boost on your songs. My suggestion of going for HQ bard is more for getting into 'higher tier' groups. It's just the easiest way to get a REMA level job, as daurdabla + gjallarhorn cost ~170m together which is 30m cheaper than a single afterglowed mythic and only 20m more expensive than a single afterglowed empyrean. And yes, while an NQ bard can perform pretty well ... it's actual performance is overall irrelevant when PUGing. You could literally be a jesus-level bard ... if someone's shouting for a 4song glajerbard and you don't have that... they will tell you to piss off. If you do a bunch of CP parties or low/mid tier content as bard, prove yourself to be awesome, and make a bunch of friends that are happy to take you to events... then yeah you can get away with not being HQ right away.

This sounds like a lot of work you could just play geo
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-05-31 12:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
once you go bard you don't go back.
I went bard and went back.
Hey, at least my mog locker has a purpose now.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 12:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Yea I considered bard but once you go bard you don't go back.

Just tell everyone you accidently dropped your gjallerhorn and GM Dave won't give it back.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-05-31 12:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not. On small servers, most people play multiple roles. So there are lots of people who still want cp on a support job after they finished mastering their favorite jobs.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-31 12:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I suggest everyone become a career WHM. It's fun you can cure your *** off. Never play any other job just WHM.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 12:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

a 4song glajerbard

So that was a typo but... can we refer to HQ bards with this title from now on? :^)
By fonewear 2018-05-31 12:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to petition SE to make bard 10 songs. 4 song bard can't be invited to my party. I'm too elite for that.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-05-31 13:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This part is half true. You do have a large amount of numbskulls that swear you need to have a rema before entering their group. I've noticed that the majority of these people requiring this do not have a rema themselves, so they are totally trolling. This is a case of people just asking for something without understanding why. Back when the whole "900 GEO" thing was the only way to go, Asura shouters only asked for that. If you didn't have 900, you were shunned. However, nearly nobody shouting for 900 skill GEO knew why it was needed, nor did they even know how to do the Indi-STR check to see if you did have 900 skill. They were just being followers without really understanding skill tiers or why it was needed for the content in question. In reality, it really wasn't, you just couldn't convince them otherwise. Nowadays, I have seen a total of zero shouts asking for 900 geo within the past year. Nobody cares anymore. It was just the "thing" to shout for. Is 900 skill any less important now than before? No, its just something that had its fad and people jumped on the bandwagon without any real knowledge of the requirement. At this point, good players are expected to be 900s anyways, so it's not even asked for.

I say all of this to say that the majority of the people asking for a rema dd would likely take a non-rema dd, assuming your damage is just as comparable. I've joined a ton of ***on my WAR/DRK (which has ragnarok), but used Montante+1/Raetic Scythe just because that was better for the scenario. Nobody asked or complained. They didn't even notice. I've joined Umaru SAM dozens of times, because the "REMA Veteran" shout really means "Please don't be a complete scrub, have a little dignity for your job". Sadly, the fact that you can be a complete scrub while having a rema or 900 skill geo completely eludes these confused souls.

So in short, yes, you do need to have a rema (aka not be a complete scrub at your job), but no, you don't need to have a REMA to participate. You'll do just fine without one if you're competent.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-05-31 14:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a painful thread. #movetowhereveryouwantandgetplaying
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-31 14:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
After 14 topics asking the same thing “is asura a good place to transfer to?” A suggestion by someone else on one of those threads “why not have one thread to ask this question since we see it so much?” A thread was made for the pros and cons of going to asura so an unsure player can just look at this thread for answers.
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 14:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

This part is half true.

Why do you say it's half true and then only go on to just re-explain exactly what I said? XD

Yes if people know you're competent then you can get an invite without a piece of REMA. Using you as an example, if you didn't have a REMA, I'd still invite you. We've done ***together before, and I know you do an assload of damage.

But if I'm shouting for a REMA DD for something, and a stranger sends me a /tell saying "Oh I don't have a REMA, but my THF is totally baller and I out damage people all the time." Like yeah, no, sorry I've heard that one before and it's very rarely true. In this case, it might, in fact, be true... this stranger might be the best DD in the world... but if I haven't seen what they can do I'm not gonna take that slim chance when there are other DDs out there that meet my requirements. And yes I could be "nice" and take a chance on the random person... but if I'm shouting for a group I have to make sure that the group lives up to the expectations of the other 4 people. It also affects my own reputation if I invite undergeared DD that proceed to cost us whatever run we're doing.

And this is only compounded by the fact that DDs are so common that if I'm shouting for 2 DD, I'll probably get 6 responses. That's a wide array of choice so of course I'm going to pick the guy with the REMA over the guy without one. (Again, unless I know the player is a badass, insert Buukki here).

So as I said: "This makes having a REMA job almost mandatory if you want to get a decent number of invites."

Though... If you're a Healer or a support, you can pretty much ignore that. People always need healers and supports. You'll still get MORE invites with REMA but you can get into a fair share of parties without them.

Yes garbage players can have a REMA or have a 900Skill GEO etc etc. And I never use having a REMA as a measure of skill. What it does mean though, is that the player at least enjoys that job enough to invest the time / gil into it.

All that said I tend not to shout specifically for REMA/Idris/HQBard myself unless im doing something where its actually important or I have gil on the line.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-05-31 14:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
After 14 topics asking the same thing “is asura a good place to transfer to?” A suggestion by someone else on one of those threads “why not have one thread to ask this question since we see it so much?” A thread was made for the pros and cons of going to asura so an unsure player can just look at this thread for answers.

Until it devolves into 40 pages of shitposting after which everyone ignores it for 6 months. Then someone will make a new thread asking the question and say "Well the other thread is old and I want an updated opinion and didn't want to Necro-Bump"