2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - Discussion
Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 407 408 409 ... 426 427 428
By Draylo 2024-03-04 00:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

What a shame.. I remember watching that as a kid and dying to get the game and play. Just goes out with a whimper. Although it was seemingly broken for a very long time as it only stayed in town at the ambuscade spot for years. I always wondered how it was done
[+]
 Asura.Bronzequadav
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bronzequadav 2024-03-04 02:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Next, I'd like to announce the upcoming release of Vana'Bout - Round 2.

In addition to the following adjustments, we are planning to release Round 2 this coming May.

- Made adjustments to the objectives so that you can earn plaudits in different locations and various in-game content.
- Expanded the Vana'Bout objectives section to separate them from the existing Eminence objectives.

In order to prevent confusion between the various objectives, we plan to set objectives for content outside of that such as field-based activities and Ambuscade, and make it so that the contents change depending on the day as well. Additionally, we're also working on a dedicated section for the automatically accepted Vana'Bout objectives in the hopes that it'll allow things to go more smoothly. Finally, we're also preparing a new overall rewards campaign, so please keep an eye out for more details to come!

Honestly thought he just axed it.
By jubes 2024-03-04 03:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

not ready until May, you can see how long development takes even for "simple" changes.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-04 06:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Flawed view.

It doesn't actually take that long, that's how long it took because they don't put any effort into it. It takes months instead of minutes because of zero appropriate management and prioritization.

There's a difference between it took 3 months, and we gave it 5 minutes after 3 months.

(You may or may not have meant it that way. It doesn't take 6 months to change a burned out light, but it may take you 6 months to get around to it.
Big difference)
By Felgarr 2024-03-04 06:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if Fujito spends 50% of his time doing the development himself. Still pretty sad, if you think about it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-04 07:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm excited for it. It can always disappoint, but at least what he's talking about sounds like feedback might have actually been taken.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-04 08:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
I wouldn't be surprised if Fujito spends 50% of his time doing the development himself. Still pretty sad, if you think about it.

Well we know they had 6 people during parts of TVR. People have left since then. Wouldn't surprise me if there's at most 2 or 3 people working on XI at this point if it isn't Fujito soloing the operation in a closet somewhere.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-04 08:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They could have kept it to Ambuscade, just make the RoE's party based instead of per-character, which made the entire thing solo based. If it cant be done directly (RoE detects party members performing certain actions), it could be done indirectly (talk to Gorpa or a new NPC and have them confirm certain goals, which will then adjust the RoE goals).

Also make the rewards not absolute *** ***.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-03-23 18:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
Quote:
"The next version update is scheduled for mid March.

March brings with it monthly updates to Ambuscade."
Quote:
The next version update is scheduled for early April.

April brings with it monthly updates to Ambuscade.
I guess this is FFXI now.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-23 19:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

May is an anniversary month, theres gonna be something extra.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-03-23 21:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
"The next version update is scheduled for mid March.

March brings with it monthly updates to Ambuscade."
Quote:
The next version update is scheduled for early April.

April brings with it monthly updates to Ambuscade.
I guess this is FFXI now.

Serious question:
Does FFXI even require a monthly update if all they are doing is rotating the ambuscade? Couldn't they just add all monsters at once and create an in-game schedule that cycles through fights every set number of days?

I.e. Ambu NPC announces the current Ambu fight and how long until the next one and what it is (something like a 4x conquest tally or every four weeks, w/e, points reset just like sparks/accolades). There's already a ROE system that tracks most quests in the game. Mirue and DI info/wins are even tracked with a similar system. Players can just use the NPC to determine which fight it is rather than a monthly announcement.

Wouldn't that be simpler than planning a monthly update when 95% of the time you're not adding or changing anything? Would be initial work up front but wouldn't need any intervention unless an update actually added something.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-23 21:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't believe they can, unless they left all the assets in and then rotated them. Right now they delete and replace so they look busy and I doubt they want to give that up.

If they don't take the game down and pretend to be busy once a month they'll have nothing to do.

Plus, of course, all the sneaky ***they ninja in can't be done without taking it down, so hands are tied (I assume).
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-03-23 21:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't have to pretend to be busy, they've flat out said they're not doing much of anything else. If they're really interested in maintenance mode, this is the perfect thing to transition to an automatic schedule. It might not be possible to do it, but was just wondering if the effort required to delete/load every month could be eliminated. Probably not, but sounds like an easy hackathon submission
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-23 21:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

They do everything the hard and annoying way.

For masochists, by masochists...
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-23 22:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

They need an excuse to reboot the servers every month
By Draylo 2024-03-23 22:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

They do add and change files in the background and add new items. I think theres a new item for the easter event too. Maybe an excuse for them to pretend they are doing something though.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-23 22:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah other things get added in too, it's not just ambuscade

But they could add everything in for the year and just turn them on without taking the game down too, if they were so inclined.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-03-24 07:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Couldn't they just add all monsters at once and create an in-game schedule that cycles through fights every set number of days?
Maybe. Not as straightforward as you might think though, since they are reusing the same chunk of space for TP moves, reusing the same range of entity indices for mobs, etc. There's not a whole lot of extra space remaining for new mob tp move names, they might not be able to fit all ambuscade's special moves in at once without also altering other systems to accomodate the larger range.

We don't really know how their codebase is set up, possible there are references back to specific mob ids / tp ids that would all need to be updated to the adjusted values once they were merged. If the instance is set up to spawn everything at once, system has to be added to change that. We just don't know enough, the way they set up ambuscade in the first place doesn't seem to lend itself to flexibility.

What's weird is that they already had a system to load different mob lists in the same zone(and continued to use it for outer rak-u and woe-p), so not sure why they did ambuscade the way they did. Besides, like Eiryl said, it gives them an excuse to do ninja fixes as needed. They probably also alter the droprates on things like flotsam/gobbiebox to make a pseudo-AH stocker.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-24 11:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

With them talking about how they hit the max number of maps they could add and then had to add an additional flag in their code to identify an expanded map makes me think that they have done nothing but work arounds and so nothing is well organized at this point. What Thorny said makes sense when you know that they change the names of TP moves on mobs in ambu. Sure it's because of react users, but it could also just have easily been a translation error from a new intern or contributor and it was just a mistake.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-24 12:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying they do Ambu TP moves in such a way to “counter React users” implies it has no impact to the non-users.
A non-react user getting a reminder of the Lamia TP moves on wiki, learning what to turn and face for, suddenly getting charmed because they didnt turn on Raqs Balagi, which was changed from its previous name of Luxurius Dance.

No ones updated the wiki either haha
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-03-24 12:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Regular user:
-Raqs Balagi charms me if I face it, ok, so I turn from Raqs Balagi.

Windower user:
-Damn, the TP moves have no names again. Guess I need to unload battlemod or wait for resources.
-Hm, the dances changed, the react file I bummed off someone last year doesn't work and I don't know how to fix it.
-Goes on whatever forum, begging for one of the few people with 100+ IQ to edit it for them.
-Several days later, maybe, has a working react again to cheat the BC instead of just doing it legitimately.

It's not exactly an even impact there. You can't actively do much about people who understand the tools they're using or how the game works in general; but it's definitely considerably more inconvenient to the average idiot than it is to someone playing legitimately. Of course, this is assuming they even change the names specifically to annoy react users, which is up for debate IMO.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-03-24 13:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

or we use a bunch of pups.

or I have capped gil

lol
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-24 13:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Thorny thinks the average FFXI player cant open React_JOB.lua in notepad and replace Luxurious Dance with Raqs Baladi.

Quote:
-Damn, the TP moves have no names again. Guess I need to unload battlemod or wait for resources.
This statement isnt even correct. When you're so deep in the trenches with your third party modifications, you forget what the actual client looks like. I dont use battlemod, nor do plenty of other players, and when the Ambu changeover went from Tonberry to Meeble, all the Elemental Warbles were Tonberry TP moves.

Source:
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/55882/meeble-ambuscade-v1/#3573937
Unfortunately the image is broken, but I'm gonna safely assume it was showing a non-battlemod altered chat log showing Meeble doing Tonberry moves, seeing as how no one disputed it.

Source 2:
https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/58055-FINAL-FANTASY-XI-Updated-%28Apr.-16%29
I guess SE made a mid-month update to patch "In the Ambuscade battle content, certain enemy abilities appeared incorrectly" just to appease battlemod and windower resources.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Opinion discarded.

Thats how it went, right?
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-03-24 14:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Thorny thinks the average FFXI player cant open React_JOB.lua in notepad and replace Luxurious Dance with Raqs Baladi.

Yes, I do. I think that because I see the requests spilling into every discord whenever that month or meeble month comes up.

This statement isnt even correct. When you're so deep in the trenches with your third party modifications, you forget what the actual client looks like. I dont use battlemod, nor do plenty of other players, and when the Ambu changeover went from Tonberry to Meeble, all the Elemental Warbles were Tonberry TP moves.
Yes, that particular month SE forgot to update the DAT. Most months, the DAT gets updated but windower resources lag behind. This happens because they use the same section of TP move ids to represent the moves every month. Whether or not SE makes a mistake, until the windower resources are updated battlemod users will see last month's TP names(blank for IDs higher than last month's..).

Opinion discarded.

Thats how it went, right?
I hope you aren't actually upset that I made a joke about your name being Nynja and you commenting on a NIN weapon.. maybe it was too subtle. I did bold the Nynja part, though.
[+]
By Banhammer 2024-03-24 16:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Starting to think we should have taken the cellphone game, bros.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-24 16:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying they do Ambu TP moves in such a way to “counter React users” implies it has no impact to the non-users.
A non-react user getting a reminder of the Lamia TP moves on wiki, learning what to turn and face for, suddenly getting charmed because they didnt turn on Raqs Balagi, which was changed from its previous name of Luxurius Dance.

No ones updated the wiki either haha

If them changing the names of moves prevents you from clearing the content, then you really don't deserve that monthly carrot.

Try again next month. React or non-user is in the same boat.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2024-03-24 16:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

He's right. The dozens of people asking for "hey anybody has a react for this month's ambu" that pop up in all FFXI discords each month is the proof.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-03-24 16:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Yes, I do. I think that because I see the requests spilling into every discord whenever that month or meeble month comes up.
Sounds like a skill issue within those discord servers.

Then again, I wouldnt be surprised if most of the players on those servers play on Asura.
[+]
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-25 13:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Then again, I wouldnt be surprised if most of the players on those servers play on Asura.

I mean, **most** players play on Asura, so not really a groundbreaking revelation.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 407 408 409 ... 426 427 428