Random Politics & Religion #26

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #26
Random Politics & Religion #26
First Page 2 3 ... 30 31 32
 Sylph.Cherche
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-26 17:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That has far more to do with two oceans and the world's most powerful military than any individual person. And nothing Trump has enacted publicly has done anything positive for the lgbtq community.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-07-26 18:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cherche said: »
That has far more to do with two oceans and the world's most powerful military than any individual person. And nothing Trump has enacted publicly has done anything positive for the lgbtq community.
He doesn't cruze gay bars. I consider that something positive for the lgbtq community.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-07-26 18:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Psychological and sociological issues such as? Have there been incidents? Is there some pattern regarding trans people in the service we should be wary of? If you really want to be pragmatic you would ask if this is actually a current problem. I wouldn't be surprised if "his generals" have no idea what Trump is talking about.

The traitor Manning, Bradley or whatever the hell his name is now.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-07-26 18:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, it's a term that predates the concept of gender (and sexuality) fluidity.

At least for western European based cultures, anyway.

It's a discussion that seems to be conflated at times. Biological gender v general role identification
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2017-07-26 18:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Reality versus Insanity
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-07-26 19:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
The traitor Manning, Bradley or whatever the hell his name is now.
Continuing that logic, we should ban all straight guys from high security positions because of Edward Snowden.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-26 19:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Psychological and sociological issues such as? Have there been incidents? Is there some pattern regarding trans people in the service we should be wary of? If you really want to be pragmatic you would ask if this is actually a current problem. I wouldn't be surprised if "his generals" have no idea what Trump is talking about.

I'm no psychologist, but the aforementioned suicide rates just might be indicative of a problem....
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-07-26 19:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm no psychologist, but the aforementioned suicide rates just might be indicative of a problem....
The more a group is discriminated against, the higher the suicide rate.

And its pretty linear.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-07-26 19:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

And to reiterate:

“Set aside Putin and follow the money”: a Russia expert’s theory of the Trump scandal
Why the collusion story begins with money, not politics.

Vox

Worth the read.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-26 20:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
The more a group is discriminated against, the higher the suicide rate.

And its pretty linear.

You make a claim of linear correlation... to a statistician... and you don't provide any data whatsoever to back it up.

/Sigh

Chanti, Chanti, Chanti. You should know better.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-26 20:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Vox
Worth the read.
Chanti, what have we discussed about posting articles that fall within the realm of reality on par with Alex Jones?

Vox is about as accurate as CNN and Jones. You should know better than to listen to sources that think that autism is created by vaccines....
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2017-07-26 20:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Why doesn't the military let in fatties? Discrimination!
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-26 20:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leading cause of suicide is clinical depression.

Depression is typically caused by stress, emotional and physical trauma and hormone imbalance.

Transgender have one of, if not the highest, rape/molestation victim rates.

Medical cocktails trying to 'cure' their dysphoria.

Constant mistreatment from family and the general public..

But nah, clearly something about transgender people makes them kill themselves with no external influence. Very pragmatic of you.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-26 20:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

But nah, clearly something about transgender people makes them kill themselves with no external influence. Very pragmatic of you.

Because that's totally what I said.

Or it could be, you know, a combination of many factors.

Oh wait, THAT'S what I said. Huh.

Reading is your friend.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-07-26 20:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leading cause of suicide is clinical depression.

Depression is typically caused by stress, emotional and physical trauma and hormone imbalance.

Transgender have one of, if not the highest, rape/molestation victim rates.

Medical cocktails trying to 'cure' their dysphoria.

Constant mistreatment from family and the general public..

And in the military the ball busting friendships would most likely send them over the edge. When I was in we dealt with hard times with humor, especially in the suck.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-26 20:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Reading is your friend.
If by many things, you mean the one thing. As in, abuse from outside sources. That's literally it.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-26 21:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So, you know, you could just stop those things. Which positively effect people beyond transgender.

or we can just punish transgenders for people being *** nuggets to them their entire lives. This one right here totally makes more sense.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-26 21:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

And in the military the ball busting friendships would most likely send them over the edge. When I was in we dealt with hard times with humor, especially in the suck.
If your friends don't know how to not push too far, they *** suck as friends. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They should probably learn how to be better people.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-26 21:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Reading is your friend.
If by many things, you mean the one thing. As in, abuse from outside sources. That's literally it.

Well crap. I wasn't aware that in cases of something as complex as the human mind you could literally claim that the only factors that could possibly lead to suicide in transgenders are 100% external, no exceptions, which just so conveniently matches perfectly with your personal beliefs.

How pragmatic of you.

In the meantime, us non-omniscient people who actually view the world with an open mind are left in a world of non-absolutes about such black and white subjects as human freaking psychology.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-26 21:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I never claimed to be a pragmatic person. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But other than a genetic predisposition for susceptibility to depression, there isn't a suicide gene. Said susceptibility isn't transgender exclusive though.

Unless you're trying to bring in self loathing, which is caused by external sources soooo...

Not really? Clinical Depression isn't a spontaneous condition.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-26 21:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You could have said that from the beginning. It would have made this discussion a whole lot easier. Possibly non-existent, even.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-07-26 21:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ball busting friendships
especially in the suck.

[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-26 23:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You could have said that from the beginning. It would have made this discussion a whole lot easier. Possibly non-existent, even.
Hey, if being a robot with a lack of morality is your thing, go for it. But pragmatism and human psychology really dont mesh well together. Because, y'know, emotions and social morality play a big part of it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-26 23:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, if being a robot with a lack of morality is your thing, go for it. But pragmatism and human psychology really dont mesh well together. Because, y'know, emotions and social morality play a big part of it.
Better to be a pragmatic person than an emotional one.

At least a pragmatic person would be able to solve a problem. Solve it, discover what the solution is, and if possible, prevent the problem from occurring again at the rate it previously occurred, if not completely prevent the problem from occurring ever again.

An emotional person would either:

80% of the time - Make the problem worse by letting their feelings get in the way of creating a solution, or create more problems on an equal or greater scale.
19% of the time - While not creating a bigger and/or more problems to occur, flails around without attempting to solve the problem itself or even come close to preventing the problem from occurring again.
1% of the time (most dangerous solution) - Solves the problem not due to the emotional person's ability to solve it, just guessed or stumbled upon the correct solution out of sheer dumb luck. What makes this dangerous is because the emotional person, not understanding that they didn't discover the solution, somehow is empowered into thinking that they can solve problems, and tries to solve more problems, without realizing that nearly all of the time, they create new problems (see 80%) or waste too much energy doing basically nothing to solve the problem itself (see 19%).

Pragmatic people aren't uncaring. They just find the solution, even if it's not the nicest solution out there. It's the emotional people who are uncaring, and generally the problem to begin with.

Case in point: Obamacare.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-27 00:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pragmatism does mean uncaring. A pragmatic decision lacks any emotional involvement or care for social morality or ethics.

Pragmatically speaking, if legal slavery is an advantage for the sake of a country, it should be reinstated.

Pragmatically speaking, people who are unable to actively contribute to society have no place in it.

Luckily, us pesky emotional people don't like ***like that and moral/ethical mindsets won out.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-27 00:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Pragmatism does mean uncaring. A pragmatic decision lacks any emotional involvement or care for social morality or ethics.
Pragmatic (aka realistic) solutions and morality are not mutually exclusive. No matter how much you wish it, it doesn't mean it is true.

Besides, a lot of these so-called "emotional" solutions presented lately lack the morality and ethical boundaries you are so keen on bringing up.

Pragmatically speaking, if legal slavery is an advantage for the sake of a country, it should be reinstated.

Pragmatically speaking, people who are unable to actively contribute to society have no place in it.
Perfect example of the limitations of emotions. No way can you reason with an emotional person, they are too set on their ways to change. You are more of a robot than I am.

Luckily, us pesky emotional people don't like ***like that and moral/ethical mindsets won out.

Seems to me that you rather have everyone suffer than to enhance their lives.

You do know the saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-07-27 00:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Often to the exclusion of social morality. Funny how that's exactly what I said.

Feel free to give examples that aren't clouded by your own personal biases.
By Nausi 2017-07-27 00:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi said: »
Hey he keeps out all the riff raff that would be throwing you off a tall building.

So yeah, you're very welcome.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

You're actually serious. You keep doing you, boo.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

You're actually this delusional? I mean I figured and 8 but this is an 11.
By Nausi 2017-07-27 00:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Why doesn't the military let in fatties? Discrimination!
Deep down, libs are just upset that their tried and true PC weapons no longer seem to be effective.

...but like the sacrificial sidekick in a tv cop-drama, they keep on pulling that broken trigger.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-27 01:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Feel free to give examples that aren't clouded by your own personal biases.

But that's what you... this whole page... can't you see... what?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 30 31 32