Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM HQ-Nuke Set... looking for advice
RDM HQ-Nuke Set... looking for advice
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-28 16:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well part of the problem is rdm has kinda low macc/skill normally so kinda have to work on it and/or /sch lol.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-28 16:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea where this 'RDM can't nuke' mentality has come from. Sure they aren't as good as BLM or SCH, but they are easily the third best at it in the game. RDM is also the third best healer in the game, so I suppose they shouldn't do that? Oh and as it happens RDM are also the 3rd (or 4th) best buffer, so no haste for any one either

RDM nuking isn't for exp partys or for that many events but it has its purposes for soloing and things like einherjar (where CS nukes help on T1-T2 bosses) or low-manning limbus.

My RDM nuke set

Sadly without things like morrigans (legs) and w.body most RDM nuke gear has no (or very little) mp so you have to accept 700-800MP in your full nuking gear.

You use some MP gear for the first nuke, so it is basically 'for free', but other than that you are pretty limited.

The m.acc vs INT question comes down to merits and the thing you are nuking. All sky NMs can be nuked with full damage (2 5INT rings) as long as you have elemental merits. For anything over lvl 85 you would want more m.acc (maybe even relic legs).

The best thing I can say is, your on the right track... the rest is down to playing around and seeing what works. Unfortunatly the MP issue is one you can't escape.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-28 16:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you lose a lot of MP from nuking, why not make two separate nuke macros? One keeps most of the MP (losing some INT) for some "free nukes" and then you switch into your full powered ones when you've burned off the extra MP.

Depending on your max MP gear, you can get 1~3 more nukes out this way which while they won't be as powerful as your other nukes, are more powerful than no extra nukes at all!

As for nuking, I confess I'm not particularly good at gearing for it. I tend to gear my RDM for MP efficiency to perhaps a redundant degree when it comes to nuking, but my set is:

HQ Stave/Ele Grip/---/Phantom Tathlum
AF/Ele Torque/Morion+1/Moldy
Errant/Patrician's (MCB if latent up)/Omega/Snow
Gleeman's/Witch/Mahatma/Goliard

EDIT: ARGH the cat posted at the same time as me so we brought up an identical point :(

I still have resists on Faust fairly often with 8/8 Ele merits and the gear I listed above :( rare to see them on anything else though unless I'm going for a quick Zipacna of course, which means RESIST EVERYTHING
 Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-09-28 16:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Get morrigans from salvage. With some of the pieces you've collected your setup would be legit.
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2009-09-28 16:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Mindi said:
(beside Morrigan... i just dont have any luck there and really NO NO LUCK ... never seen atleast 1 35 drop i want, working on it... but not really what i ask you far atm)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-28 16:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

We do not speak of Salvage.

Impossible to find a group in my time on Bahamut who would take me, I swear.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-28 16:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I found one... then they found out I only have TH3. I cried all day
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-28 16:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Likewise ;(
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-09-28 16:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Standing gear (around 960mp)

Honestly I haven't read the thread. Things that should be in your standing set would be an Umbra cape, maybe some garden bangles and an orochi nodowa. Could wear a jelly ring if you're feeling lucky, but the MP+ might be better.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-28 16:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are you standing in Physical Damage Taken+ gear <_<
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-28 16:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
Why are you standing in Physical Damage Taken+ gear <_<

When soloing, it's very, very useful.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-28 16:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadow Clogs are Physical Damage taken + 1% though. PLUS. And give no useful idle stats!
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-28 16:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jeez. I didn't know standing around was so dangerous! c.c
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-28 16:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends where you're standing :(

Omega Ring does nothing in the build above for standing though, and Shadow Clogs are actually detrimental to standing.

EDIT: Well I lie, there is a -very- minor magic damage reduction from them. Better idling in Merman's Rings if that's an issue though.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-28 16:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Jeez. I didn't know standing around was so dangerous! c.c

"Standing", I'm assuming here, is being used for when you're not casting on the NM. The NM is probably swinging at you.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-28 16:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I was just being sarcastic.

I idle in my full damage reduction gear. It's not like I'm completely clueless here lol.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-28 16:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

And yah, this pretty much. I idle in Terra's/Jelly/Umbra when soloing and have full Darksteel +1 (sans Feet) and a Patronus Ring to swap in when taking hits, and eat Tacos on most solos (Cream Puffs etc for some).
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-09-28 17:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking at this thread just to compare my item set with others...Im slightly amazed with the "rdms cant nuke" either >.> our nukes arent that bad. I help nuke out statues in dynamis if Im able and sometimes CS+nuke bosses in einherjar or NMs in salvage if running low on time. Its not a huge focus of mine...but I use it alot if Im soloing. If I can sleep+nuke it I prefer to kill things that way as its usually faster, cheaper (no lost shihei) and less attention paying.

My item set is over yonder http://www.ffxiah.com/members/?q=item_sets&set_id=96012&add_item=1 If you're wanting to not be as sux as me then you'd know you'd probably want some int+ earring or a novio I'll never get in my life time..and maybe a snow ring or omega ring..but Im like blah, and I have no plans to really upgrade those until otherwise noted.

I have Nashira boots, goliard boots and duelist's boots+1s...I also have morrigans gloves, the abj. for zenith mitts and goliard gloves :X so I've never bought yigit. I see alot of rdms nuke in yigit boots even if they have harder to get things..I've never actually tested what works better on my rdm..Ive just kinda been default duelist's boots.

So yigit is good and easy to get.

I nuke in shadow trews also, Ive never solo'd anything too impressive, I dont think Id want to be caught wearing them for too long if I were. After I nuke I usually hit my idle/refresh gear+w legs anyways+earth staff (lolnq), I more worry about getting my mp back then I do ever getting hit. I dont own any mahatma, I have jet but I barely ever carry them around..theres not much I macro them in for anymore..if I were to ever lvl my sch Id get mahatma..but I have morrigans pants coming too me soon-ish I hope for rdm and any future hypothetical blm.

and I have a gleemans cape because it was free and I felt gimp walking around with a rainbow cape and didnt feel like putting down the cash for a prism cape when gleemans was free! /thrifty
 Remora.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-09-28 18:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
Dubont said:
Ok so since we are focused on ridiculous ideas, anyone have a good Nuke setup for DRK or a good main heal setup for PLD? How about a nice tank setup for Sch? Im tired of playing the norm and i want to be an idiot for a change.

You're a 75 DRK with a Tredicim, thick solerets, a warwolf, and AF head. You obviously don't know how your own jobs work, let alone the 75 version of your 39 RDM.

Obviously u think I actually play drk, you are wrong. I am in the process of re-gearing it so that I can play it again. If you are wanting to check out the gear I actually work for, look into my Cor equip. =) Nice try though.

Still, I would prefer a RDM trying to melee in my pty before trying to nuke unless it were a MB pty. As far as soloing, why solo? If you want solo go play WoW. This game was designed to make people help each other...for every soloist in the game that thinks "oh lulz i can has solo powaz!" that is 1 more empty spot in a pty that could be filled to make that party whole but instead you have to be the idiot that ruins the functionability of the game by soloing and causing a pty to disband b/c they can't get x job.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-28 18:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont's forum account get hijacked or is he/she on the rag?

Seriously, why the *** wouldn't one want to try soloing? Even barring that, RDM nuking isn't always lol in groups...
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-09-28 18:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

As i said before, if you want to solo go play something else, this game is not designed for that and when you solo it screws up other people. Think about it, if everyone in the game were solo aside from a few people who couldn't, guess what would happen...those few people would most likely get frustrated and stop playing. All these people talk about "OH NOES FFXI IS DYING!" Well its your own damn fault. Its ok to have fun and play around, hell i even tank as non-tanking jobs sometimes just for fun, but if you are actually serious about soloing that much...please...this isn't your game.
 Ramuh.Ilvex
user: Ilvex
By Ramuh.Ilvex 2009-09-28 18:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Why don't you stay out of the rdm forums and we'll stay of the drk/blm/cor forums k
[+]
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-28 18:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
Sectumsempra said:
Dubont said:
Ok so since we are focused on ridiculous ideas, anyone have a good Nuke setup for DRK or a good main heal setup for PLD? How about a nice tank setup for Sch? Im tired of playing the norm and i want to be an idiot for a change.

You're a 75 DRK with a Tredicim, thick solerets, a warwolf, and AF head. You obviously don't know how your own jobs work, let alone the 75 version of your 39 RDM.

Obviously u think I actually play drk, you are wrong. I am in the process of re-gearing it so that I can play it again. If you are wanting to check out the gear I actually work for, look into my Cor equip. =) Nice try though.

Your profile had utter trash DRK equip on it, ergo you were playing DRK at least when the scanner ran. Either way, you were on a DRK.

Learn a dime about RDM before you talk about it. A good RDM can, and should nuke, in a hell of a lot of situations. Ever hear of ZNMs? Limbus manaburn zones? Dynamis? Salvage? We're not talking any area of the game where you'd "make a party disband because you're not there to help." We're not talking EXP; we're talking real monsters.

Edit:

PersonWhoCan'tRead said:
As i said before, if you want to solo go play something else, this game is not designed for that and when you solo it screws up other people. Think about it, if everyone in the game were solo aside from a few people who couldn't, guess what would happen...those few people would most likely get frustrated and stop playing. All these people talk about "OH NOES FFXI IS DYING!" Well its your own damn fault. Its ok to have fun and play around, hell i even tank as non-tanking jobs sometimes just for fun, but if you are actually serious about soloing that much...please...this isn't your game.

Not everyone in the game tries to solo. A few do. Obviously this game had some solo aspect in mind: we have PUP, DRG/mage, and BST to name a few. RDM also can solo, as can BLM, in different manners than them. Guess what? Not everyone in the game has anywhere near the talent needed to solo. Has anyone in this topic complained about XI dying? Just get the *** out, you obviously don't grasp the matter at hand.
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-09-28 18:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
Dubont said:
Sectumsempra said:
Dubont said:

Your profile had utter trash DRK equip on it, ergo you were playing DRK at least when the scanner ran. Either way, you were on a DRK.

Learn a dime about RDM before you talk about it. A good RDM can, and should nuke, in a hell of a lot of situations. Ever hear of ZNMs? Limbus manaburn zones? Dynamis? We're not talking any area of the game where you'd "make a party disband because you're not there to help." We're not talking EXP; we're talking real monsters.

Yes I was on DRK, logged on, bought a few things, put it on and logged back out. I already said RDM can nuke in MB, in dynamis I have had many instances where a life could have been saved or a party could have been saved if a RDM would have been paying attention INSTEAD they were nuking b/c "RDM can nuke almost as good as a blm and therefore should nuke when able." ZNMs? Take a BLM or even a sch to nuke, take rdm for something else. Limbus? Same thing.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-28 18:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you seriously judging the RDM job as a whole because of a few moron RDM then?

A talented RDM can do all his or her jobs and still nuke when needed, and in some situations a RDM can and should nuking. 2x RDM can do things in a ZNM for example (like surviving) that 2x BLM just can't do.

You obviously don't have the experience needed to discuss this.
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-09-28 18:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
Are you seriously judging the RDM job as a whole because of a few moron RDM then?

A talented RDM can do all his or her jobs and still nuke when needed, and in some situations a RDM can and should nuking. 2x RDM can do things in a ZNM for example (like surviving) that 2x BLM just can't do.

Ok so just b/c some people can means that the job as a whole can? Does that mean that since a few people can pull of drk tank, that the next group of people need to have a DRK tank? Or since a few people can main heal as bst WHILE dishing out dmg, that the next group of people need to take a BST to main heal? Hell i know people that can tank on pup, some better than MOST pld i know, yet if I asked a pup to tank, the majority of the game would laugh their *** off. Point is, just b/c u think x job can do y thing b/c u saw someone do it, doesn't mean that you are right. RDM nuke? No thanks. Leave it to the BLMs and in some cases, SCH. kthx
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-28 18:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Rdms nuke good. They can nuke as good as they can heal so why not? Dealing good nukes on rdm is easy.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-28 18:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:

Dasva said:
Rdms nuke good. They can nuke as good as they can heal so why not? Dealing good nukes on rdm is easy.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-09-28 18:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see the issue of RDM nuking, before sch even came out, rdm was always a 2nd nuker. It's a well rounded job that can nuke just like a blm can. Anyways, the topic was to give advice on gear and not argue of rdm nuking sucks or whatever.

Everyone plays their jobs the way they want to, if you can't contribute to the topic then don't post.
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-09-28 18:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, my bad. Here's my advice. Don't nuke as rdm. End.