2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » Ambuscade Volume 1 Discussion - January 2017
Ambuscade Volume 1 Discussion - January 2017
By kishr 2017-01-17 06:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,
Here's how I do it with a few jp pickups I've joined.

F boss
F small mob
S small mob

Use tank, dps, geo, healer.
2 pet type jobs. Bst smn pup (my turns were bst bst, or bst smn.

If you kill any small mob before boss die, it will respawn.

Bst or smn lure small mob F to a far corner out of healer range from hate.

Knock it down to 20% HP.

Wait for boss to die from dps attacking it. Then kill F small mob.

S small mob only need back turned to avoid stoned.

Example: bst attack then ready move, after heel and turn your back also.

Repeat.

Groups use azure experiments from assault for KI
If you don't have then a 7min trek through perikia also fixes that.
By Darksparksnot 2017-01-17 07:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Those who tried pup method, can one puppet supertank all 3?
By hobo 2017-01-17 09:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

No, one puppet can not hold all 3 of them. Even if hate mechanics were not weird this fight, puppets don't excel at holding multiple mobs.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-17 10:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
* Got draw in almost every fight
Happened to me three times, with more or less the same setup as all the other times when it didn't happen.
I have no clue what procs it but I suspect it's not random...
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2017-01-17 17:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Verda said: »
* Got draw in almost every fight
Happened to me three times, with more or less the same setup as all the other times when it didn't happen.
I have no clue what procs it but I suspect it's not random...

One thing I noticed is that we'd get drawn in a lot when we brought 2 GEO, and the drawin would occasionally occur as soon as the 2nd GEO bubble hit the main. We dropped down to only 1 GEO for the past few runs and haven't seen drawin since.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-18 01:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I never had a GEO with me the 3 times I got drawn in =/
By Calinar 2017-01-18 01:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Couple things I just want to add in here

For the people getting on pup that don't really know what they're doing, you don't need to go full on tank puppet. Everyone I get that joins me goes completely full on tank mode and does basically zero damage. please don't do that. you really don't need more than armor plate 4 and auto repair kit 4 optic fiber maybe one more defensive piece and the rest can be dd attachments. You also don't need rao 5/5. or taeon 5/5. (but please cap it's skills!)

Draw in... I've done this 10 times, none of which had a geo, but the cor cast dia2 and everyone was drawn in one time. and the other time i have no idea what happened. 2/10 draw ins.
By geigei 2017-01-18 02:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Could be actions on nm's taken from a certain distance cause draw in move, it isnt new.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-18 02:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Calinar said: »
For the people getting on pup that don't really know what they're doing, you don't need to go full on tank puppet.
Yes I said it before, you can tank them with the VEhead/SSbody setup I posted above.
Altough nobody stops you from holding them with a tank setup, and then quickly switching to DD setup (thanks to Acon) once the party is ready to start damaging the NM that you're currently holding.

What is really important to me regardless of the approach you choose, is to have at least one strobe.
Hate is very wonky, without Strobe it's gonna be a mess if you have non-PUP (like SMNs!) in your party.

Also, while irrelevant for Friggs, I found a specific tanking setup (with Resisters, Flashbulb, both strobes) to be very helpful while holding Skathi.

Last but not least, a trick I was using to ensure fast amounts of enmity on my PUP during the pull is the following.
Prebuff Stoneskin and Blink. Pull your target with flash.
Then use Ventriloquy to swap hate with your non-deployed pet (granting the enmity of Flash to your automaton).
THEN use Deploy with at least one Firemaneuver up, and your pet will use Provoke, adding even more enmity.
At that point you can retrieve and position yourself wherever you want, and it's gonna be much safer.

Previously I had people do the pull & hold method and we were having lots of issues with Skathi coming back for other people and basically messing up the whole run.

Oh also, unless you're 2100 Job Master and have good pet acc gear, make sure to equip Target Marker and eat Shiromochi, or your acc will be ***if you're doing VD, trust me on this!
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-18 02:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
Could be actions on nm's taken from a certain distance cause draw in move, it isnt new.
It's gotta be something else.
Because I've been casting Dia2 on the NM regularly and that never procced Draw in (because I was already in the enmity list? I wonder).

Whereas when the COR did it in Calinar's group, Draw-in procced (maybe because the COR wasn't in the enmity list already?)

Just saying it's not related to casting spells at distance, because trust me I was casting dia2 from 20+ yalms every bloody run and I never procced Draw In myself.
 Asura.Hitome
By Asura.Hitome 2017-01-18 04:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Draw in occurred tonight when I went to reapply a GEO bubble that had died (frailty). It didn't occur when I cast dia 2.

I'm guessing it's either application of consecutive GEO debuff bubbles, applying two debuffs in a row (dia doesn't seem to count?), or something else to do with magic cast on the main boss. Should be easy to test.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-18 04:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, we never had anybody attempting to cast debuffs on them, other than Dia2, and we never had GEOs either, so uhhmm... :x
 Bismarck.Keityan
Server: Bismarck
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2017-01-18 04:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Back, sorry for not following up with VD strats. Here's the best one that we came up with that makes pretty quick kills for pick up groups:

1x PLD (Or RUN)
1x GEO
1x RNG
1x RNG (or COR)
1x Healer (Anything that can cast stona/poisona)
1x PUP

RNG's and GEO's stay at start. Healer moves away from the RNG's and GEO and go towards the open area. PUP pulls Frigg to left wall. PLD pulls Freyja and Skathi to right wall. We used Fury/Precision/Frailty.

-Get Skathi down to 5% (It's more spammy with Divine Retribution if Freyja is dead)
-Kill Freyja
-Kill Skathi
-Kill Frigg (the one that is on the puppet)

~5 minute kill. All of this strategy involves never trying to react to the gaze/countergaze moves. Just tank face on and remove the status debuffs.

Things to worry about: Freyja and Skathi does Divine Retribution. This is hate reset. Only RNG's and GEO is at risk, but should never die as long as WHM keeps >16 distance from the mob.
 Asura.Jkun
user: CiermeL
By Asura.Jkun 2017-01-18 06:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hitome said: »
Draw in occurred tonight when I went to reapply a GEO bubble that had died (frailty). It didn't occur when I cast dia 2.

I'm guessing it's either reapplication of the GEO debuff bubble, applying two debuffs in a row (dia doesn't seem to count?), or something else to do with magic cast on the main boss. Should be easy to test.

We noticed something similar last night with GEO and COR debuffing the mob. COR applying Dia2+Light Shot seemed to cause draw-in during at least 2 of our runs, while my Dia2 followed shortly by Geo-frailty never did. Probably has something to do with how fluid hate control can be for these mobs (and *not* Dia2 specifically)
By Ruaumoko 2017-01-19 12:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally got this video done.

Pet strat on VD.

YouTube Video Placeholder

EDIT: I've formulated and tested a far superior setup. I recorded one of our many runs where we got the fight, from entry to exit, down to five minutes. I will format and upload the video sometime tomorrow.

Suffice to say you do not need x3 PUP if you're having trouble finding them. You do need a PUP to hold Frigg however to deal with the Charmga. You can tank Skathi with any tank job and I suspect you can do the same for Freyja, so you can really get away with using a mixed setup.
By Ruaumoko 2017-01-20 04:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Revised the strategy/setup featured in the previous video for a vastly superior result.

Going to work on a melee setup next and upload that, just in time for people when they finish CP...
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-20 05:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
You can tank Skathi with any tank job and I suspect you can do the same for Freyja, so you can really get away with using a mixed setup.[/i]
Yeah totally doable. But then again you won't be able to use those jobs to deal damage to Friggs though.
Plus I rarely get a chance to let my PUP shine so I kinda enjoyed the pet setup! And it synergized well with COR rolls (pet rolls for all!)

A few addition to your video, some of which I already covered in my previous post

1) 1200 JPs is not mandatory. I'd say 550 JP is though, really need that gift. Having lower JPs/Gear means you might want Drachen Roll instead of Beast from the COR, but still works.

2) Beacause of zone ally enmity (Legion) bringing adds away at start can be nasty, especially if there are non-PUPs in your party. Say a SMN casting a spell, summoning an avatar etc can get hate from Skathi while you try to get her away. Once Skathi is positioned nobody is gonna take her away (except for when your Automaton gets petrified) but getting her in position at start can be problematic. A good solution I've found to work with this is using Ventriloquy. Don't Deploy the pet but keep Fire an Light maneuvers up with Flashbulb and Strobes equipped. Use Flash (from /WHM) on your target, then quickly Ventriloquy to transfer that enmity to your pet, then proceed with a fast deploy. Your pet will use Provoke and shortly after Flashbulb. That will be a massive amount of enmity, after which you can retrieve and position Skathi wherever you want. Similarly the PUP tanking main NM with Overdrive can use Heady Artifice as well to get a big boost of initial enmity.

3) For Skathi while you're just holding her waiting for the other PUP tu burn down the main NM, I've found that other setups (like VE/VE) work really nice if you can manage to equip 2x Resisters and keep up 2x Water 1x Light. You're gonna resist the petrification a lot of the times. Eyeballing I'd say 66%? Maybe a bit less, but still relevant. Once the other PUP kills main NM and joins you on Skathi, you can use Autocontrol to swap your automaton to a default VE/SS and burn Skathi down.

4) If JPs/gear are ***, Overdrive alone might not be enough to burn main NM down. If you're in such a situation have one more of the players who joined you on main NM use their SP as well (so another Overdrive if a PUP, or an Astral Conduit if a SMN)

Again, not sure this is the absolute best strategy for this month, but it's for sure the easiest/more relaxing, leaving you with a high margin of possible errors.
I lost count of how many times something bad happened and we still managed to recover through deaths and appearent wipes.
It doesn't require top-knotch PUPs either, can compensate for their lack of JPs/Gear in many ways.
(altough no, I don't think under 550JPs would be very efficient)
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-20 09:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah totally doable. But then again you won't be able to use those jobs to deal damage to Friggs though

Was able to damage her while on BLU by just having my back turned and casting. People tend to forget that BLU doesn't need to face it's target to cast it's spells, especially the physical damage ones like Sinker.

Bring both adds to under 20%, preferably 5%, then bring main NM down to 5% and before you kill it have a BLU locked onto Friggs with their back turned. The moment Freyja is dead CA Efflux (should pop these ahead of time) Sinker Drill which should finish her off instantly. Then finish off Skathi.

Note these NM's don't hit hard and Occultation is amazing. They only get insane after Freyja dies which is why they need to be at low HP before that happens.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-20 10:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Was able to damage her while on BLU by just having my back turned and casting.
Is the charmga gaze bazed? Thought I read the charm took effect regardless of the direction you gazed upon? Guess it's not.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-20 10:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Was able to damage her while on BLU by just having my back turned and casting.
Is the charmga gaze bazed? Thought I read the charm took effect regardless of the direction you gazed upon? Guess it's not.

Yes it's gaze based like the other dance moves. If your facing her when she does it your charmed, if your facing away then your not. Of course Imperial Disregard works the opposite, if your facing away it drops like a hammer.

That mechanic is what makes this fight so difficult because your people need to face her to prevent disregard but then become susceptible to her add's gaze attacks. The key here is to not pull hate, let them all stare at the tank for as long as possible. Obviously once the main NM is dead hate goes out the door but that's why you bring the adds to low HP and have someone prepared to immediately kill the charmga NM.
By geigei 2017-01-22 08:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leaden - trueflight with bubble work on these?
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2017-01-22 12:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Finally got this video done.

Pet strat on VD.

EDIT: I've formulated and tested a far superior setup. I recorded one of our many runs where we got the fight, from entry to exit, down to five minutes. I will format and upload the video sometime tomorrow.

Suffice to say you do not need x3 PUP if you're having trouble finding them. You do need a PUP to hold Frigg however to deal with the Charmga. You can tank Skathi with any tank job and I suspect you can do the same for Freyja, so you can really get away with using a mixed setup.

I watched the 1st video, and very well done by the way.

I think what happened when your SMN pulled hate on one of the Lamia was his resummoning Ramuh. Whoever it was that was holding that particular Lamia needed to pull it a bit further away, at least 25+ in order to avoid a SMN gaining enmity from using summoning magic.

But other than that, the fight looked to go very smoothly.
By geigei 2017-01-22 12:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Keityan's strategy worked for us. Tank geo healer cor rng pup.

We didnt lower skathi hp just kill them in order: Freyja>skathi>frigg. Only issue with this is the draw in but can recover fast from it and after hate reset tank might get hit by disregard or backline while turning their backs to reset hate.
 Bismarck.Cloudstrafie
Server: Bismarck
user: cloud7886
By Bismarck.Cloudstrafie 2017-01-22 13:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Went with Keityan last night was very productive, No drawin, Few hate resets but other then that was pretty clean.
[+]
 Asura.Vdoubleo
user: Vdoubleo
By Asura.Vdoubleo 2017-01-23 16:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my first ever forum post, but this is how we've been spamming this month's ambuscade, with Cutting Cards, 3 PUPs who can overdrive the boss is all you need, 2 if its a busy time on the server with long queue times
[+]
By trinironnie 2017-01-23 20:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought i would be in it Q__Q
[+]
 Asura.Vdoubleo
user: Vdoubleo
By Asura.Vdoubleo 2017-01-25 03:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You're totally in it lol, check the buffing section, you're all over it
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-01-27 14:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it seems like the auras come up if you fail to make eye contact with the Lamia for more than a few seconds. We had several runs where Frigg was always getting the aura up before any TP moves were used. Once we realized this, we didn't have any more issues. Keep in mind that it's kind of hard to have one tank keep eye contact with all of them as they don't line up very nicely.
By trinironnie 2017-01-27 16:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vdoubleo said: »
Quote:
You're totally in it lol, check the buffing section, you're all over it
I must be blind Q_Q
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-01-30 14:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Since campaigns are about to end and ppl will be turning their attention back to Ambu, thought I'd share a few helpful tips for Vol. 1:

Getting KI: The best place is the Azure Experiments Assault in Leujaoam Sanctum. There's exactly 10 Lamia on the map but they pop in groups of 2-3... talk to the NPC after you kill each group to spawn the next group. There's relatively little running around in this one compared to other assaults/areas. Use wide scan to find where the next group pops.

Draw-in: This used to be a problem, and could cause a wipe, if it happened. We noticed it happened either while a GEO-debuff bubble was active and/or recast, or if we took one of the adds down to 5-10% and then changed to Freyja.

Now we stopped using Frailty (Fury/Precision/AGI for RNG strat), just kill the NMs 100-0% in order (Freyja > Skathi > Frigg), and haven't seen a draw-in since.

Hate Mechanic: Aura up means the person at the top of the hate list has looked away for too long and the NMs will begin to ignore hate altogether (basically aggro the last person to take any action at all). Whoever gets aggro should pull the NM back into the tank's field of view to re-establish eye contact... wait a couple of seconds for aura to drop, then get back into regular position.

We've had our PLD hold Skathi and Freyja with no problems on VD. Even if something happened and the tank got hit w/ Terror and lost hate, we were able to recover quickly by following the above. Having your RNGs decoy their white damage on the PLD or GEO is really helpful in this fight, too.

It's helpful to have a PUP hold Frigg on VD... charm hitting your main tank is really not fun, and unlike D, Frigg will use charm at any time during VD, not just after Freyja dies.