Why Do You Think Blue Mage SHOULD Be Nerfed?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
By Afania 2016-10-18 17:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Braden said: »
Afania said: »
@Pro

Yes, I use the term "absolutely necessary" because Im not aware of other job that has gravity as potent as subduction AND able to deal same amount of dps. I'm not aware that a RDM sub BLM can out dps BLU in same lv of gears.

If Im wrong about this feel free to point it out, if not then "absolutely necessary" is correct term as there's no alternative that can do the same.

- Saboteur Gravity II lasts longer and is still potent enough for any melee to auto-follow
- Inundation is a substantial boost to SC damage, which is something any good party should be focusing on (and not spamming single-step Light)
- A RDM+BLU tandem would allow the BLU to sub WAR for a large DPS increase; both jobs can cap the entire party's Haste with Haste II and Diffusion MG before other buffs (if any)

RDM obviously isn't able to keep up in raw damage, but you still might see better off with one than with a BLU.

The extra duration of gravity is often not necessary from my experience. So the only thing RDM brings to the table is really just inundation unless there are no COR in pt.

If I understand how inundation works correctly, isn't it only a dps boost with different weapon type? If it does then it's not so reliable as DPS boost depending on which DD you get then?

Edit: Just remember debuff doesn't work here, not sure if dia3 works too.
By hobo 2016-10-18 17:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean we could just not smack it with swords. There was variety before the video of subduction came out. Parties with 4 pups, geo cor. or pld smn x3 geo cor. Or even parties with just 1 smn using cait sith bp
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Coronos
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Coronos
By Quetzalcoatl.Coronos 2016-10-18 17:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

To hark back to the OP (hey, that's me!)...

I've asked others in game what exactly about BLU is OP and the common thing that was brought up was Mighty Guard.

If (big *** "if") it comes to the point where SE nerfs BLU like an 8 year old wielding a N-Strike Longstrike CS-6 Dart Blaster, please make it so that it nerfs the Haste/DEF boost/HP Regen to others via Diffusion but make it the same for the BLU who casts it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-10-18 17:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If I understand how inundation works correctly, isn't it only a dps boost with different weapon type? If it does then it's not so reliable as DPS boost depending on which DD you get then?

You are correct. This is one of those things that people should take into consideration when party building. For example, "Do we have a good WAR"? Then take a goddamn Red Mage. "Do we have anything else?" BLU's probably better then.

I don't really know though. I've never done the method you people mention because I have an Army of PUPs. I got 30k hallmarks in two days and stopped before anyone posted anything about Subduction. Does your tank actually get hit? While soloing I found it was pretty easy to just kite the frog and never get hit, or if I did it was only once. I feel like with Gravity it isn't even an issue. If your tank isn't getting hit anyway, why can't the BLU or RDM do it? Do you need Elemental Seal to land Gravity? If not, RDM/PLD has plenty of enmity options. Also also, he really doesn't hit for much outside of his hammer move, do you really need a normal tank for that? In theory, after sticking subduction you could just cure cheat for enmity anyway since it's legion and probably not ever lose hate. Red mage can do that better than BLU also(not sure about enmity gear options) and likely never get hit.

Like I said, I've never tried it so I don't know.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 17:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah you need elemental seal, thing has ludicrous meva. maybe focus is enough, haven't tried.
By Afania 2016-10-18 17:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

You are correct. This is one of those things that people should take into consideration when party building. For example, "Do we have a good WAR"? Then take a goddamn Red Mage. "Do we have anything else?" BLU's probably better then.

I don't really know though. I've never done the method you people mention because I have an Army of PUPs. I got 30k hallmarks in two days and stopped before anyone posted anything about Subduction. Does your tank actually get hit? While soloing I found it was pretty easy to just kite the frog and never get hit, or if I did it was only once. I feel like with Gravity it isn't even an issue. If your tank isn't getting hit anyway, why can't the BLU or RDM do it? Do you need Elemental Seal to land Gravity? If not, RDM/PLD has plenty of enmity options. Also also, he really doesn't hit for much outside of his hammer move, do you really need a normal tank for that? In theory, after sticking subduction you could just cure cheat for enmity anyway since it's legion and probably not ever lose hate. Red mage can do that better than BLU also(not sure about enmity gear options) and likely never get hit.

About tank in gravity setup, I've heard people done kiting on BLU so it's certainly doable, but the biggest challenge for the kite person is to keep hate. Frog may use hammer if you get close to flash and provoke range. Thus it's a lot less challenging to keep hate on job that has crusade and can easily generate hate with self target JA and spell staying far away, such as RUN. It also allows DD play more offensively. When I kite on RUN I always tell WAR feel free to MS since I've seen people too afraid to MS because of enmity.

I've seen a lot of PUG PLD that only ever know how to generate enmity with provoke and doesn't know how to use AoE JA and cure cheat failed VD due to losing hate. I would imagine it's going to be tougher for crusadeless jobs such as blu and rdm.

I actually wanted to do kite on a none tank job such as blu, rdm or cor for a while now, just to generate more pt dps, and more than half of my run enmity gear are usable on these jobs. Not sure if itll result dps lose if DD ended up having to hold back.
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2016-10-18 18:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
yeah you need elemental seal, thing has ludicrous meva. maybe focus is enough, haven't tried.

Might be able to get away with just focus. As GEO, with no food, using average/slightly above average augments for enfeebling, gravity from /RDM lands quite often.

About tank in gravity setup, I've heard people done kiting on BLU so it's certainly doable, but the biggest challenge for the kite person is to keep hate. Frog may use hammer if you get close to flash and provoke range. Thus it's a lot less challenging to keep hate on job that has crusade and can easily generate hate with self target JA and spell staying far away, such as RUN. It also allows DD play more offensively. When I kite on RUN I always tell WAR feel free to MS since I've seen people too afraid to MS because of enmity.

I've seen a lot of PUG PLD that only ever know how to generate enmity with provoke and doesn't know how to use AoE JA and cure cheat failed VD due to losing hate. I would imagine it's going to be tougher for crusadeless jobs such as blu and rdm.

I actually wanted to do kite on a none tank job such as blu, rdm or cor for a while now, just to generate more pt dps, and more than half of my run enmity gear are usable on these jobs. Not sure if itll result dps lose if DD ended up having to hold back.

Holding hate as the PLD isn't really too hard to do. I've been PLD tanking it recently, and it goes like this:

Run in > Provoke>Shield Bash>Warcry (by now Subduction is on it)>Run to 33+ away for safety > Pallisade/Sentinel > Use random JAs every couple percent. Haven't lost hate once in 130k ambuscade points.
By iambatman3131 2016-10-18 18:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Just an FYI: you can cast flash from 21' and not get hit w/ hammer.
[+]
 Leviathan.Blitzjr
Server: Leviathan
user: tripletee
By Leviathan.Blitzjr 2016-10-18 18:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I play BLU and the versatility is over powered. Most people who are saying it isn't probably don't play other jobs. Two can play that game. Having the ability to heal, dd, haste2, debuff nms, lower defense, and have one of if not the best WS in game is over powered. Talking about Runes parcing that's with buffs from a (party) something BLU can dang near self suffiently do without.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-10-18 18:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Blitzjr said: »
I play BLU and the versatility is over powered. Most people who are saying it isn't probably don't play other jobs. Two can play that game. Having the ability to heal, dd, haste2, debuff nms, lower defense, and have one of if not the best WS in game is over powered. Talking about Runes parcing that's with buffs from a (party) something BLU can dang near self suffiently do without.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

On a side note. I love how all of you conclude some strawman in all your conclusions on why your opinions are better than someone else.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-10-18 18:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

they should nerf blu so we can stop having these threads
[+]
By Afania 2016-10-18 18:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This conversation about blu isn't going anywhere tbh. People thats anti nerf will just downplay blus strength, run scenarios that doesn't favor blu, and keep focusing on other jobs strength claiming other jobs are OP too, while pro nerf people will bash the versatility and haste configuration.

There are no consensus as both sides aren't focusing on the same thing, nor present opinions about the same thing.
 Leviathan.Blitzjr
By Leviathan.Blitzjr 2016-10-18 18:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-18 18:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ice said: »
Run to 33+ away for safety > Pallisade/Sentinel > Use random JAs every couple percent
Unless Ambuscade is different for some reason, actions beyond 30' (or perhaps 24.5 from my short testing in Qufim on a Bat before this post; might vary by mob size?) won't generate any enmity.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2016-10-18 18:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Mob size does matter, I think Sammeh has an updated distance plugin for that.
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-10-18 18:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like you're talking about RDM Blitz!

Mostly, people are just overstating how OP Blu is. It doesn't break the game, it isn't the most OP job in the game. You can do literally every event without a BLU. Sure, there are events it shines, and events it doesn't. Just like other jobs.
[+]
 Sylph.Ice
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2016-10-18 18:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Run to 33+ away for safety > Pallisade/Sentinel > Use random JAs every couple percent
Unless Ambuscade is different for some reason, actions beyond 30' (or perhaps 24.5 from my short testing in Qufim on a Bat before this post; might vary by mob size?) won't generate any enmity.

Hmm, not sure. I usually stay around 31-33 on the frog, since I'm multiboxing 3-4 characters, and it gives some leeway and allows me to avoid spells. The only actions done are Provoke>Warcry>Shield Bash before I get 31+ away, which isn't normally enough to keep hate from the whole fight.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-10-18 18:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU is just an incredibly polarizing job, just not as much as GEO is.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-18 18:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

think thats cuz most people are too scared of the difficulty bump there would be pretty much universally if GEO ever got nerfed
[+]
 Leviathan.Blitzjr
By Leviathan.Blitzjr 2016-10-18 18:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »

Mostly, people are just overstating how OP Blu is. It doesn't break the game, it isn't the most OP job in the game. You can do literally every event without a BLU. Sure, there are events it shines, and events it doesn't. Just like other jobs.

Hahaha but we arent gonna talk about rdm tho (sips cup of tea)
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-10-18 18:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

When you climb the ramps in Castle Oztroja for your Spharai, and realize no one will invite you.

[+]
By Afania 2016-10-18 18:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Blitzjr said: »

Hahaha but we arent gonna talk about rdm tho (sips cup of tea)

If BLU parse like an equally geared RDM I'm pretty sure no one would say a thing.....
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-10-18 18:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Seen well geared RDMs parse very well. The issue with RDM is gear, not the job.
By Afania 2016-10-18 19:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Seen well geared RDMs parse very well. The issue with RDM is gear, not the job.

I think job trait too, last time I checked(not 100% sure as I haven't really look into gears), RDM with temper II and strong enhancing set should add enough multi attack to offset the gear disadvantage.

Just that the job doesn't have STP, DW JT etc.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-10-18 19:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This conversation about blu isn't going anywhere tbh. People thats anti nerf will just downplay blus strength, run scenarios that doesn't favor blu, and keep focusing on other jobs strength claiming other jobs are OP too, while pro nerf people will bash the versatility and haste configuration.

There are no consensus as both sides aren't focusing on the same thing, nor present opinions about the same thing.

The only thing that you can really use to justify a nerf, or to claim a job is OP, is if it allows players to clear content by abusing a feature or mechanic that is impossible to do on another job. Beastmasters could sit out of range all day long and spam ready moves(and it was glorious), thiefs could build up to 3k TP and used stacked Rudra's to kill an NM before it's mechanics could come into play(and it was glorious).

Blue Mage DOESN'T do that ***. It has tools to help deal with situations that other jobs do not have, that is true. As far as I know, however, it does not have the ability to entirely circumvent mechanics. Not in a super abusive way anyway. They also aren't actually easy to use, unlike everyone seems to think. It's just that a shitload of actual good players tell people their builds, and other people emulate that and it works okay. The majority of BLUs I do see, outside of a select few, suck at the job. They can only do what someone else has already done, and the majority of time that's pretty limited.

In fact, I'm going to rant for a moment about how shitty the average BLU is. For starters, it's a good job, but if you don't know how to use the *** inbuilt versatility, it's not a boon. It amazes me how many BLUs can't tank, main heal(this is a serious thing), USE *** CLUBS(WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THESE!?), KNOW WHAT ACRID STREAM DOES(WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THIS!?), how to use Magic Hammer, how to use Chain/Burst Affinity, how to pick the appropriate sub job, how to gear diffusion so it doesn't suck(It's literally one piece of gear)... and probably more things that I can't think of right now.

Anyway, BLU is fine. The majority of people playing it don't even know how to use it properly anyway, so it's not a big deal imho.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-10-18 19:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambuscade capes lessen some of those issues. Temper II may offset the issue, but if they were to get a real melee set it would be one of the top DDs in the game(with Temper II)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-10-18 19:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Potential double post for something actually important.

Ambuscade(and legion iirc) don't have any boundary for enmity. Any action after the mob has been engaged with generates enmity on that mob regardless of distance. Incursion and Vagary are the same I think, but there might be some differences I'm not aware of.
[+]
 Asura.Thorva
Server: Asura
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-10-18 19:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Potential double post for something actually important.

Ambuscade(and legion iirc) don't have any boundary for enmity. Any action after the mob has been engaged with generates enmity on that mob regardless of distance. Incursion and Vagary are the same I think, but there might be some differences I'm not aware of.

Many tanks have been losing hate when they pass the 30 mark. When I was on rune during ambuscade the past 2 days I would lose hate any time I past 30, often I would lose hate spamming ja and spells at 25+, if I stayed in the 20-25 range I had no issue. Did probably 30 clean runs in the 20-25 range.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-10-18 19:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

would you guys give it a *** rest with the nerf crying.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11