Why Do You Think Blue Mage SHOULD Be Nerfed?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
Why do you think Blue Mage SHOULD be nerfed?
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-19 18:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Quote:
It's not that I don't believe you, but which NMs?

Better question is which nms does it not apply to. Some t4, intense amb frog, potentially kirin(havent tried). WoC would need outside buffs but blu can tank it fine in that setup. However, the same generic setup can take on essentially every escha nm, high tier battlefield, etc with essentially no risk of one shot, a low gear requirement, and little player involvement.

These things are all true, but none of it dissolves my main point: while dual BLU makes it easier it isn't the only way. I haven't had trouble with any of those fights (I haven't done Kirin either, though) with DRK in place of the 2nd BLU.
By Afania 2016-10-19 18:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dravidian said: »
Afania said: »
I think SE has a problem though and at certain tiers (if that is what you would call it) has bigger disparities than other tiers. For example. All melee jobs without an RME may seem somewhat lackluster to a blu without an RME. I think THF is one of the jobs that can actually come close. While as people do their min/maxing and complete these RMEs they sky rocket in damage.

I don't know about this tbh, I was playing with WAR spreadsheet yesterday and found that WAR with Montante +1 comes extremely close to Rag 3 without MS and beats rag 3 with MS, both using same sets posted on the forum and doing content that acc isn't an issue, which is what majority of mid tier player bring melee for anyways. And Rag 3 is considered best weapon for this job in majority of situations. It's just that none of the PUG none REMA WAR I've ever pt with uses GS build.

I also think COR with appropriate Savage build can parse quite competitively as a none REMA DD mid tier DD. Got a couple of friends start winning parses in PUG since they built a tp bonus magian. Idk much about where other none REMA DD stands though.

I do believe a lot of PUG aren't pushing attack high enough when they make pt though, that may be the reason why crit hit WS DD such as BLU gets advantage on parse. I have never seen PUG COR use light shot on dia(ok... sometimes I don't when having parse competition, so Im a bit guilty about this myself), and most of they crooked card on SAM roll over chaos.

A lot of times PUG GEO also don't use bog even in ambuscade when you can reset JAs.
Not to mention 70% of PUG blu dont do attack down spell.

Couple with the fact that a lot of PUG DD can't cap acc, that may be the reason why some people observed avg BLU parse higher than other avg DD jobs.

Edit: Also there are more information about how to DD on BLU available everywhere, compare to other jobs. So most BLU player tend to parse higher because of this.

Hmm interesting. I haven't heard anything about wars before rag. That's pretty cool. None-the-less what I said was more of an example and not necessarily true at all.

Well, Monte +1 has 5% ta, stp +11, attack +34. Rag has much higher acc and crit rate, which are irrelevant under MS and low tier low eva content.

I haven't actually play with such build yet but none of the none REMA WAR that I know of utilize it due to the lack of info. By comparison almost every none REMA blu knows which sword they should be using without REMA access, and which WS they should be using.

Maybe that's also the reason why mid tier BLU(no REMA, doesn't have strong understanding of DD mechanics and obtains gearing info from their friends) tends to parse higher than other less popular DD jobs in same lv.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-10-19 18:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
BLU makes it easier
This is kind of the whole point.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-19 18:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
BLU makes it easier

Uh huh, but I'm still not seeing how that point makes things as bad as people are painting it out to be. From my perspective there's a lot of salter dogs who want something removed or nerfed because it makes things easier, not because it is the only possible way, which seems pretty pointless to me.

I don't remember this happening back when MNK was reigning supreme over almost every piece of content. Some people complained yeah, but not on this scale.
By Calinari 2016-10-19 18:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because mnk wasn't quite as OP as blu is now. The only thing mnk had REALLY going for it was the HP to survive. I mean smite pre nerf was nice and all. But mnk was king ***because it could live through the ***.

Which is kind of what's going on now, blu lives pretty easily through things that absolutely destroy other DD. (without having to use DT gear). and without having to sacrifice any DD spells.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2016-10-19 18:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I think SE has a problem though and at certain tiers (if that is what you would call it) has bigger disparities than other tiers. For example. All melee jobs without an RME may seem somewhat lackluster to a blu without an RME. I think THF is one of the jobs that can actually come close. While as people do their min/maxing and complete these RMEs they sky rocket in damage.

I don't know about this tbh, I was playing with WAR spreadsheet yesterday and found that WAR with Montante +1 comes extremely close to Rag 3 without MS and beats rag 3 with MS, both using same sets posted on the forum and doing content that acc isn't an issue, which is what majority of mid tier player bring melee for anyways. And Rag 3 is considered best weapon for this job in majority of situations. It's just that none of the PUG none REMA WAR I've ever pt with uses GS build.

I also think COR with appropriate Savage build can parse quite competitively as a none REMA DD mid tier DD. Got a couple of friends start winning parses in PUG since they built a tp bonus magian. Idk much about where other none REMA DD stands though.

I do believe a lot of PUG aren't pushing attack high enough when they make pt though, that may be the reason why crit hit WS DD such as BLU gets advantage on parse. I have never seen PUG COR use light shot on dia(ok... sometimes I don't when having parse competition, so Im a bit guilty about this myself), and most of they crooked card on SAM roll over chaos.

A lot of times PUG GEO also don't use bog even in ambuscade when you can reset JAs.
Not to mention 70% of PUG blu dont do attack down spell.

Couple with the fact that a lot of PUG DD can't cap acc, that may be the reason why some people observed avg BLU parse higher than other avg DD jobs.

Edit: Also there are more information about how to DD on BLU available everywhere, compare to other jobs. So most BLU player tend to parse higher because of this.

Hmm interesting. I haven't heard anything about wars before rag. That's pretty cool. None-the-less what I said was more of an example and not necessarily true at all.

Well, Monte +1 has 5% ta, stp +11, attack +34. Rag has much higher acc and crit rate, which are irrelevant under MS and low tier low eva content.

I haven't actually play with such build yet but none of the none REMA WAR that I know of utilize it due to the lack of info. By comparison almost every none REMA blu knows which sword they should be using without REMA access, and which WS they should be using.

Maybe that's also the reason why mid tier BLU(no REMA, doesn't have strong understanding of DD mechanics and obtains gearing info from their friends) tends to parse higher than other less popular DD jobs in same lv.

Mont+1 is a nice GS. But I ended up switching to a Macbain with DMG+35, STP+6 Acc/Attack+19 since I was able to 4 hit it.

It lasted me until I Afterglowed rag.

I wouldn't switch back to it, even with mighty strikes. The ODD can be pretty significant during a MS Zerg. Especially with reforged empy feet on.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-10-19 18:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

When MNK was king, it was due to it's larger health pool. You could replace MNK since the only other thing it brought was pure damage. That isn't the case for BLU. You don't "just replace BLU," without having to adjust the whole party to accommodate.
By Draylo 2016-10-19 18:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is just gonna go in circles. Notice it's the same people parroting opinions over and over, each side isn't going to change the other sides opinion. SE has no plans to nerf BLU sorry, try again later when they care about NA opinions. I wish people would actually stop parroting and realize the disparity isn't as big as they think.
By Calinari 2016-10-19 18:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Your opinion is obviously going to be skewed. You'll say anything to get them to leave blu where it is.

That's why this is the issue that it is. The "blus" are all bullshitting cause they finally get to be dabess.

The thf's and dancers all admitted rudra's was too damn strong the "real thieves". The bandwagons all did the same exact thing everyone is doing now for blu, and did for bst.

We all know objectivity matters. and objectively blu is imbalanced. (so is immanence, so is burst enmity) but blu is competing against 12 other DD. EVERY TIME some job is too popular it GETS nerfed. Period. This is just taking too long to actually happen.

This is the ENTIRE argument:

Like blu: Blu's not op lol, dnc is op. You blu's aren't even willing to admit it's a LITTLE overpowered.

Objectively see the game as more than one flavor of the month: yeah blu's a little op. It's TOO diversified.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-10-19 19:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure why this is even a thread but it's getting people salty.
By Afania 2016-10-19 19:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
BLU makes it easier

Uh huh, but I'm still not seeing how that point makes things as bad as people are painting it out to be. From my perspective there's a lot of salter dogs who want something removed or nerfed because it makes things easier, not because it is the only possible way, which seems pretty pointless to me.

I don't remember this happening back when MNK was reigning supreme over almost every piece of content. Some people complained yeah, but not on this scale.

They did, actually. There were a couple of "nerf MNK plz" thread on OF and there were quite a bit of discussion and drama if I remember correctly.

You may think people are more vocal about blu probably because:

1) All the MNK mains at that time weren't as vocal as BLU mains. Like I said previously, some of the most vocal players on AH community that post a lot are BLU mains. So when people post ideas to adjust issues with BLU it always turn into 10 pages of drama with both sides tried to convince the other side, while attracting people support or disagree with those opinions. And that gives people impression that there's massive amount of blu hater yelling to nerf the job to the floor. When in reality most of the pro blu nerf people are just reacting to hardcore BLU defenders with their comment.

For example Draylo once thought I'm a hardcore BLU hater that's just nerf happy because I post alot in every blu nerf discussion, even though the only aspect I really dislike about blu is just MG mechanics promoting double blu setup, and my vision of adjustment is just MG. But because I react to every comment in all the discussion it creates the illusion of Afania being hardcore blu hater.

This applies to every blu nerf discussions with every posters. This kind of discussion will never turn into 10 pages of drama if people just post their ideas and done. But it isn't the case, anti nerf people's react so strongly and made pro nerf people react as well, which attracts more pro nerf people post on the forum about why they think blu is OP.

So it looks like people hates BLU more than MNK in 2013, but I don't think that's the case.

2) There's quite a bit of reason why BLU is so good. V.S MNK was only good because of high HP and delve mechanics. So when everyone post their opinions about why blu is so good it seems like everyone is unhappy with haste, CDC, versatility, dmg, job traits and everything. V.S the issue with MNK can be summarized in 1 sentence. And so it seems like everyone is hating everything BLU has.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-10-19 19:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leaving open for now but demaining. Hold it down on the salt.
By Calinari 2016-10-19 19:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP thread. How long till another new one pops up. Just leave it alone.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-19 19:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I never unlocked BLU because I took Waoud's quiz too seriously.
[+]
By Ulthakptah 2016-10-19 20:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Crevox said: »
Quote:
Right here. I played thf before the one hand update, and I still play thf after the dagger nerf.

You're an awesome outlier then.
You'd be surprised. Lots of people are very passionate about thf. Discussions in the thf guide can get pretty heated at times, like the Sandung incident.

Calinari said: »
The thf's and dancers all admitted rudra's was too damn strong the "real thieves". The bandwagons all did the same exact thing everyone is doing now for blu, and did for bst.

We all know objectivity matters. and objectively blu is imbalanced. (so is immanence, so is burst enmity) but blu is competing against 12 other DD. EVERY TIME some job is too popular it GETS nerfed. Period. This is just taking too long to actually happen.

This is the ENTIRE argument:

Like blu: Blu's not op lol, dnc is op. You blu's aren't even willing to admit it's a LITTLE overpowered.

Objectively see the game as more than one flavor of the month: yeah blu's a little op. It's TOO diversified.

Give an inch, they take a mile. It's what I took from the dagger nerf. Sure a lot of main thf's wanted just rudra's nerfed to get the bandwagoners off the job, but SE *** it up. They nerfed 3 other weaponskills that were by no means OP, and ruined what I liked most about the adjustment to the ftp which was it being 2.5 times higher at 2k tp and 3 times higher at 3k tp. At the very least they should have kept it at 3 times for 3k. To me this was the solution to the complaint that our SA/TA timers were too long.

Then the same fiasco happened with bst. It needed an adjustment. Not necessarily a damage nerf like people were suggesting, but the problem was the play style wasn't matching up with what the devs had planned for the job. In that most would stay out of range because charmer Merlin was needed for the best damage output. What needed to happen was some carrot and stick type deal where using the charmer merlin would punish their damage, while engaging and tping with the pet would improve it. Instead there was some crap adjustment that everyone hated.

And this time blu isn't even OP. They have a bunch of utility. Big freaking whoop. Other jobs have utilities they just suck in comparison. Most of it because they can't full time them. Think of how much more people would want WARs if they could actually full time their warcrys with the 700 tp bonus. That's what needs fixed.
[+]
By Ricon 2016-10-19 20:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we remove tizona too? Just remove it from the game, the am3 lets blu solo sc without MG.

But for real I don't understand what everyone wants.
Blm gets all the love cause bursting is strong. Let's Zerg instead.

Sam op it does too many ws. Nerf pls

Nin tanks took our jerbs!

Mnk tanks took our jerbs!

Sam op again nerf now

Two handers rule the world, please let them die in a fire.

Oh you made 1 handers good? Yea uh thf does too much dmg so stahp

Blu op man please delete this class.

Inc blm and geo too strong together we want blm to get ancient magic only and geo buffs only work for the job that has the least active players using it.

Please ppl just agree rdm would be top dd if they could equip adhemar/herc and let blu have its time in the sun. Do you not remember what we did to them during the vw era? Those spells.
[+]
By Calinari 2016-10-19 20:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ricon said: »

Sam op it does too many ws. Nerf pls

Nin tanks took our jerbs!

Mnk tanks took our jerbs!

Sam op again nerf now

Two handers rule the world, please let them die in a fire.

Oh you made 1 handers good? Yea uh thf does too much dmg so stahp

Blu op man please delete this class.

Inc blm and geo too strong together we want blm to get ancient magic only and geo buffs only work for the job that has the least active players using it.

Please ppl just agree rdm would be top dd if they could equip adhemar/herc and let blu have its time in the sun. Do you not remember what we did to them during the vw era? Those spells.

They're always JUSTIFIED complaints. One job always completely overshadows every other job. There has NEVER been anything even CLOSE to balance. Yet they keep calling BALANCE!

BLU has been too damn good since even during the Rudra wagon, it was just on the DL at the time. It's been top or near top too long, and it's jus ttime to nerf dat ***. DRG time, please.
By Ulthakptah 2016-10-19 21:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny you should say that because DRG has been a good DD on the DL since the most recent SAMwagon. Pretty much since they got the job haste added to their wyvern bonus.
 Sylph.Braden
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Braden 2016-10-19 21:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

tied with RNG for most forgettable job apparently
By Ricon 2016-10-19 23:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all in good fun, I've been playing this game since real near NA launch and the one thing I can take from my time here is that SE and balance aren't really on the same page. Something is always going to be super strong.

My blu is pretty fresh. It was 60ish like 6 months ago, having played everything pre treasures to some extent and then picking up blu in the 119 days I will admit that it's good. Is it op? No.

Blu is really nice the way it is to help groups just like mine, 6 man groups with not a tremendous amount of time anymore. We can blu,blu,blm,blm,geo,rdm a lot of the lower stuff down while having fun and not having to break our backs. We got pld,sch,geo,rdm,whm,blm for some of the harder stuff and that's fun. I made tizona for my blu because the job is fun to play with and gets stuff done. I didn't do it because op job needs more op. If it was as strong as everyone makes it out to be why would I waste 300m?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-10-20 03:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ricon hit the nail on the head honestly. This community constantly bickers back and forth whenever a job gets a buff or is ahead of the class. In fighting games, there are tiered lists, and usually, every job character has a moment to shine. The tier lists fluctuate up and down with updates and balance changes. I kind of see the job system in this game the same way.

Every job has had its moment, but its really nothing to write home about, since this isn't a PvP environment. We are not competing against each other (not for job invites or scoreboard numbers, this is moot). Every job collectively improves the others in a party system, so it doesn't really matter if one or two stand out over a few others. Why does everything always have to end in a nerf? I just don't understand that concept at all. The job system augments each other, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-10-20 05:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ulthakptah said: »
Asura.Crevox said: »
Quote:
Right here. I played thf before the one hand update, and I still play thf after the dagger nerf.

You're an awesome outlier then.

You'd be surprised. Lots of people are very passionate about thf. Discussions in the thf guide can get pretty heated at times, like the Sandung incident.

That's the coolest part about XI. Some people will chase the flavor jobs and some people will dedicate themselves to a job regardless of its status, but this is easier to believe when the job is lower end of the spectrum. "Are you sure you've always loved Scholar, or is it that Immanence will get you into almost any fight you want?" / "Did you love WHM when you had to coordinate with your co-healer who would rest and when, when large curagas were more an act of desparation?"

For streaks of time, the loldrg and lolpup and lolbst ran around and did their own thing and enjoyed the game. The ones who knew what they were doing with the job got to shine when the job got buffs, the other guys just sucked a little less.

The pros at these jobs, during their lowpoints, still got on BLM, BRD, NIN, SAM, WHM, whatever when raid time came.

I feel bad for the career BSTs that BST got nerfed as harshly as it did, that EGers saw something exploitable and rode that til SE did something about it. I do think a happy compromise on that nerf would have been damage of actions is based on range from pet, with the maximum effective range being a little farther from the pet than Readies are effectively useful from.

I was a bandwagon BST in aby. The job had use for the things I wanted to do. I didn't play it in early adoulin, before I quit, and it was nerfed just when I came back.

Corsair is good, but it's hard not to find GEO more favorable, where they overlap, for its immediate readiness and reliability (Bust!).

PLD and RUN are both fine tanks and I presently feel like my HQ PLD handles things with a chance to kill me better than my NQ RUN, but the difference is small enough that I bring RUN to several things and that bothers me.

PLD gets invites just fine (and is still the preferred tank by the pugging community because it's easier, and more statically reliable than RUN), so I'm not asking for buffs or nerfs.

---

Counterpoint: XI's jobs within the same role may never be balanced perfectly (and sometimes, not even close), but at least the jobs remain different.

Calinari said: »

This also might be because the "real thieves" (and by real, we mean geared) saw the insane damage that Rudra's could do, while many of the bandwagoners were just thrilled to be doing 'great' WS damage for the first time. Stop telling them they have to swap gear!
By Ackeron 2016-10-20 06:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just gonna go ahead and lock this now. The exact same points being made now are pretty much the same ones being made since page 1 and it looks like this is going nowhere.

Sorry it took so long.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11