users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 75 76 77 ... 141 142 143
By Aerix 2019-09-12 10:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
Aerix said: »
I curse SE for making me choose between Thurandaut Ring and Weatherspoon Ring.
Make a crafting shield then the answer is easy

Or, you know, you could just do a crafting shield and ring on a mule instead of gimping your main character. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not that I would even bother since I don't have the time to spend on farming that and I wouldn't ever touch a bot to get one.
[+]
By Boshi 2019-09-12 11:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
There is one more thing about RDM and Daybreak that I think should work, but I can't test it, since I don't have that club yet.

If it's Affinity, then it should also work for Light skillchain damage. Potentially very good for CDC>CDC. Stats on Daybreak will also be good to help MB after that SC.

would only be 25% chance proccing on light sc,
50% on fusion
By Aerix 2019-09-12 11:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Skillchain elements aren't randomly picked. They always default to whatever element the monster can absorb or (if there's no absorb) to the element to which they're weakest.

So long as you know your enemy is weakest to Light you can force the Daybreak bonus.
By eeternal 2019-09-13 03:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone tried Seraph Blade on volt mobs? seems it will do serious damage on them
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2019-09-13 06:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Skillchain elements aren't randomly picked. They always default to whatever element the monster can absorb or (if there's no absorb) to the element to which they're weakest.

So long as you know your enemy is weakest to Light you can force the Daybreak bonus.
Those two conditions are actually the same thing; SE always artificially lowers the resistance of tbe absorbing element on such NMs (even doing it mid-battle if the mob changes absorbs on the fly).
By Aerix 2019-09-13 08:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »

Those two conditions are actually the same thing; SE always artificially lowers the resistance of tbe absorbing element on such NMs (even doing it mid-battle if the mob changes absorbs on the fly).

I'm aware and I thought about mentioning it, but ultimately it doesn't change the way we interact with the mechanic.
By Galkapryme 2019-09-13 08:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting guide. However, I am having a difficult time understanding how Crocea Mors is a dream sword, but not included in any of your dream sets.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2019-09-13 09:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm aware and I thought about mentioning it, but ultimately it doesn't change the way we interact with the mechanic.
I mean, it does change the way we interact, since it means that monsters thant absorb an element also become extremely vulnerable to enfeebles of that element, instead of being immune or extremely resistant like one could reasonably assume based on logic.

It also means you can't afford to ignore it when using low MACC magic damage for other purposes, like Endark or Enlight.
[+]
By Aerix 2019-09-13 10:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, it does change the way we interact, since it means that monsters thant absorb an element also become extremely vulnerable to enfeebles of that element, instead of being immune or extremely resistant like one could reasonably assume based on logic.

Is there any instance of an NM becoming highly susceptible to an enfeeble specifically because of its absorption mechanic turning on? I'm honestly curious because I can't think of any off the top of my head. Onychophora maybe? I haven't fought it as RDM so far, but does it become susceptible to all enfeebles as soon as it starts absorbing magic?

It also means you can't afford to ignore it when using low MACC magic damage for other purposes, like Endark or Enlight.

That's true, but essentially that's still treating the mechanic the same way. Regardless of the enemy's resistances and whether you're using Enlight/Endark for Accuracy/Attack, if you see your magic damage is healing the enemy too much you'd cancel/change the buff simply as a matter of common sense.

Not trying to argue over this, I'm just saying that for some things people don't need to know all the underlying mechanics just to play/react correctly.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2019-09-13 11:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Onychophora maybe? I haven't fought it as RDM so far, but does it become susceptible to all enfeebles as soon as it .

It absorbs all magic enfeeble included in that mode

When it absorbs physical is will allow enfeeble
By Aerix 2019-09-13 11:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nuance said: »
It absorbs all magic enfeeble included in that mode

When it absorbs physical is will allow enfeeble

Good to know, thanks! However, in a way that makes Onychophora more of a counterexample, if anything, with regard to the discussion above. I suppose absorbing all magic isn't quite the same as absorbing specific elements, though.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2019-09-13 11:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Perfidien and Plouton work like that, as does Peirithoos.

Also, I'm 90% sure Nuance is wrong; Onchy is much easier to silence when he's absorbing magic, for example.
By Aerix 2019-09-13 11:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't tested specific enfeebling resistances on these NMs so far, but fair enough. I'll try keep in mind that it's important to mention the increased vulnerability if the topic ever comes up again elsewhere.
By Aerix 2019-09-13 11:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Galkapryme said: »
Interesting guide. However, I am having a difficult time understanding how Crocea Mors is a dream sword, but not included in any of your dream sets.

"DREAM" is just a tongue-in-cheek acronym for [D]ynamis (i.e Su4/Su5), [R]elic, [E]mpyrean, [A]eonic, [M]ythic weapons. On the other hand, "dream sets" are simply gear sets that require a lot of grinding to achieve and represent pretty much ideal gear.

Also, the guide hasn't been updated yet to include all the more recent gear. It will happen soon.
 Asura.Nuance
By Asura.Nuance 2019-09-13 11:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I'm 90% sure Nuance is wrong; Onchy is much easier to silence when he's absorbing magic, for example.

Wouldn’t know about silence as silencing him sounds stupid to do because he still changes modes and magic casting tells you what mode he’s in.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2019-09-13 13:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That was not known at first, so experimenting with silence wasn't uncommon when people thought it prevented his mode changes.
 Lakshmi.Likos
Server: Lakshmi
user: Likos
By Lakshmi.Likos 2019-09-13 16:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologies if it's been stated a number of times, but I can't find the answer browsing through the past 30 pages. What is BiS Amalric paths for Sanguine? (With Croc r25)
By Torzak 2019-09-13 18:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The bold is what I use.

Amalric+1 is a lot easier and less random to put together.

I personally have a liking for the macc afforded from trying to do max augmented Reisen gears and I think the other stats do a decent job to make up for the lack of mab. One of these days I'll get around to farming more silt to try for a better merlinic body and chironic merlinic hose.

Head
Pixie Hairpin +1, can't beat for sanguine unless you specifically want macc

Body
~Max Augment Merlinic with int40+10, mnd33 macc20+38, mab20+33

Amalric+1 has 38int, 30mnd, macc33, mab33
PathA 20macc, 20mab
PathD 25mab
Set Bonus Value = 10mab

Totals Comparison
50int(Merlinic)/38int
33mnd(Merlinic)/30mnd
58macc(Merlinic)/33(D) or 53macc(A)
53mab(Merlinic)/68mab(D) or 63mab(A)

Hands
Jhakri +2 Hands with the macc mab and WS%, pretty hard to beat

Legs
~Max Augment Chironic Legs with int42, mnd29+14, macc20+32, mab38
Now that I'm home, I see that I misspoke. Corrected Legs and all numbers/totals at the bottom.
~Max Augment Merlinic Legs with 43int, 28mnd+14, macc20+36, mab15+37, mdmg+13

Amalric+1 has 40int, 25mnd, mab40, 0macc
PathA 20macc, 20mab
PathD 25mab
Set Bonus Value = 10mab

Totals Comparison
43int(Merlinic)/40int
42mnd(Merlinic)/25mnd
56macc(Merlinic)/0macc(D) or 20macc(A)
52mab(Merlinic)/75mab(D) or 70mab(A)
13mdmg(Merlinic)/0mdmg

Viti +3 Feet with 30int, 32mnd, macc43, mab 55, 18str

Amalric+1 has 21int, 20mnd, mab32, mdmg+11, 0macc, 6str
PathA 20macc, 20mab
PathD 20macc, 20mab
Set Bonus Value = 10mab

Totals Comparison
30int(Viti)/21int
32mnd(Viti)/20mnd
43macc(Viti)/20macc(D) or 20macc(A)
55mab(Viti)/62mab(D) or 62mab(A)
0mdmg(Viti)/11mdmg
18str(Viti)/6str

Grand Totals
123int(ReisenVitiFeet)/99int(Amalric)
107mnd(ReisenVitiFeet)/75mnd(Amalric)
157macc(ReisenVitiFeet)/53macc(D) or 93macc(A)(Amalric)
160mab(ReisenVitiFeet)/205mab(D) or 195mab(A)(Amalric)
13mdmg(ReisenVitiFeet/11mdmg(Amalric)
18str(Viti)/6str(Amalric) This reflects just the difference in footwear as the body/legs all have the same STR value.

Feel free to poke holes in my math. I'll edit it in if you find something.
[+]
By Aerix 2019-09-13 18:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you tested your Sanguine damage with your setup against Amalric+1? Generally MAB makes the biggest difference for magic WSs, even if you have tons of INT/MND.

Unless, of course, you really, really value that MACC more than raw damage. But I generally almost never see any resists on Sanguine Blade to begin with using mostly Amalric+1.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2019-09-20 10:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the verdict on Malignance set (partial or full) with Murgleis main hand now? AM3 looking a bit sweeter?

Ayanmo body is still nice.
 Sylph.Wasenshi
Server: Sylph
user: Senshi
By Sylph.Wasenshi 2019-09-20 11:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
What's the verdict on Malignance set (partial or full) with Murgleis main hand now? AM3 looking a bit sweeter?

Outside of the high stp, acc and dt the full set puts you near RUN level meva which makes the full set amazing for anything doing aoe dmg no matter what your main hand is
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2019-09-20 11:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »

I'd love to know this as well. How well does death blossom even do? I'm looking at a set now for it. Never seen anyone use it regularly. Wonder how it compares with crocea?
 Bahamut.Eternallight
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-09-20 11:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure about DB/Murgleis, but what I can say about the mali set is.

Excluding the gloves, which id use Ayanmo for its enspell +17

It offers 200 acc/magic acc, which is huge for enspelling.
It offers insane amounts of sTP, -DT, mEva, MDB, and capped gear haste.

With a single ring (D.ring) plus the Sacro Bulwark from Alex HTB, you can melee in capped -DT while maintaining all those high stats above.

Since about 95% of your damage will come from enspell with Crocea, its gonna be tough to top what-so-ever.

As far as what you WS with afterwards, up to you :p
 Asura.Nuance
By Asura.Nuance 2019-09-20 11:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

R15 murg here. Only use it when I’m solo skill chaining for the consistency of it. Generally speaking Crocea is my go to in group content or if sanguine is a valuable life line solo. In a zerg if I can get away with it I use ambuscade club otherwise i fall back on sequence. Usually only use almace if I know I can get mileage out of the cdc light spam.

That being said death blossom isn’t a bad ws but it’s just a weaker savage blade
 Bahamut.Eternallight
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-09-20 12:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nuance said: »
R15 murg here. Only use it when I’m solo skill chaining for the consistency of it. Generally speaking Crocea is my go to in group content or if sanguine is a valuable life line solo. In a zerg if I can get away with it I use ambuscade club otherwise i fall back on sequence. Usually only use almace if I know I can get mileage out of the cdc light spam.

That being said death blossom isn’t a bad ws but it’s just a weaker savage blade

Out of curiosity, why the ambu club? Black Halo?
 Asura.Nuance
By Asura.Nuance 2019-09-20 12:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

In my personal experiences I always get higher damage output with it over savage with ambuscade sword and sequence. Just keep in mind this requires the tp bonus Magian sword in the off hand so its accuracy depending

I’ve been able to use the above in all of zitah

Up to t3 ruann and t3 Reisenjima

Obviously ***like Kirin AV Helms I’m unable to make real use of it so I generally use sequence instead
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2019-09-20 12:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So given todays gear options.....

Would someone be better off investing in murg or croc if they had to pick only one?

My guess would be Croc (with temper2 ftw) over murg?
 Bahamut.Eternallight
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-09-20 12:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Croc covers many needs, and is easy to get.

Murg is better for magic acc, not as good for dps, and takes a ton of work.
 Asura.Nuance
By Asura.Nuance 2019-09-20 13:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Crocea is most definitely the most versatile of options.

Superb enspell and magic ws.

Cdc isn’t a slouch with it either.

Great magic accuracy.

If you only got one weapon for rdm it would definitely be the superior choice.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2019-09-20 13:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Great feedback ty.
First Page 2 3 ... 75 76 77 ... 141 142 143