BLM Macro sets
First Page 2
 Alexander.Zayo
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 04:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wanting to clean my BLM macros up and make better use of the sets in the book. Currently I have 3 sets, BLM/SCH BLM/WHM and BLM/RDM, all under the BLM book. I have a 10 Set macro book for SMN and dream of something like that for BLM that just has everything in one big book with /macro commands that trigger other sets in the book. Before I go spending hours making a mess out of what currently "works" I thought I'd ask if anyone has any examples/ideas of BLM macro sets.
 Odin.Eirwen
Server: Odin
user: dhkite
By Odin.Eirwen 2009-09-16 04:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You could make a macro set per element, then the remaining three for buff, debuff and whatelse, then trigger moving to a certain set with macros in the Alt row. That's a how a friend of mine plays (except the buff/debuff macro set - he has a few placed within each element set).

My macros are more a mess. Nukes in the top row of first set, debuffs in second row (incl. Gravity), all BLM spells. Set below that has all the WHM support stuff I need as BLM/whateversubjob-with-healing-power. At the same locations as the nukes in the BLM set, but one set up, I've placed the elemental staves, followed by Nuke outfit and Resting outfit. And all this AFTER I cleaned up my first macro book to cover macros for my 3 main jobs, and WHM sub. If I decide to touch SCH, it would go in a set underneath WHM.

Heheh... maybe a few screenshots (when I get home) can show my 'mess'. But it worked for me for years XD;
Anyway, the real example is the top one that my friend uses.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-16 04:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally for BLM I don't use more than 1 page at a time.

Each page has a purpose, so:
I have a meriting page (all nuke have max damage)
* T3 and T4 Blizz and Thunder
* Drain, aspir, stun, burn
* ES sleep II
* Gravity

I have a dynamis page (nukes have a mix of max damage and mid resist)
* T3 and T4 Blizz and Thunder
* AMII for timed nukes
* ES
* Aspir, stun, bind,
* All sleep spells

I have a god/hnm set (mid and high resist sets)
* All common T4 spells
* AMII for bursts
* ES
* Stun
* T3 -ga (situationally)

The problem with BLM is, You can have 3+ gear sets for any single spell (Max damage, mid resist, high resist) so linkig all the spells in one massive macro set doesn't allow you to make the changes to your nuking gear.
 Kujata.Thio
user: Thio
By Kujata.Thio 2009-09-16 05:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

My top set is bliz4, thunder4, am2's, sleep2, bio2, aspir, drain, stun, sleep2! bottom is buffs (ss, phalanx +blink,) sleepga etc. Then I scroll down for debuffs slow, para, stuffs, I dunno mine is kinda wonk but after you get it memorized you dont really want to switch them back XD.
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 05:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That is the problem, too much gear, not enough lines. I'd be nice to have macro-1 equip my +ele&int & go to /macro book 1 /macro set 2 and have my HNM/GOD spells with /equip staff's on the spells, but there just aren't enough lines. I'm on 360, and it's really the only option. I have an intel macbook, but there is just no way I'd even fake windows on it.

I have the same set up for the most part, BLM/WHM is for dyna and HNM, with BLM/SCH for campaign and BLM/RDM for solo & puddings.

I have all my /equip enf. gear on the spells that need it, then hit my "Up" macro before casting my next ele. spell.
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 05:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thio said:
I dunno mine is kinda wonk but after you get it memorized you dont really want to switch them back XD.

Thats kinda where I'm at Thio, and I have a similar layout to yours, minus the scrolling down to debuffs.
 Shiva.Akajoyroth
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Akajoyroth 2009-09-16 05:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I use 7 Pages for my BLM to make things easy for me...just to shooting an example. It has help a few BLMs I have come across.
Page 1 has each T1 spells and page 2 has T2 spells, 3 has T3 and 4 has 4. I also have each AMII thrown in and each spell is set to remind me which spell goes according to weakness left to right. Plus I have a solo set for puddings. I set Enfeebing spells are on Page 5 so I can swap T4 Spells/AM II and Enfeebling magic(Page 4 and 5) as needed.

Fire4//Ice4//Wind4//Stone4//Thunder4//Water4//Rest//HPtoMP//MAB//Ele
Flare2//Freeze2//Tornado2//Quake2//Burst2//Flood2//Drain//Aspir//Buff//Stun

Gravity//Sleep2//Bind//Bio2//Enfeeb
Burn//Choke//Shock//Rasp//Drown//Frost//

Then I have SS+Blink,Stun,Drain/Aspir and gear swap macros in place.
MAB/Elemental/Enfeebing/Resting/HPtoMP

If you don't have each AM II, I would fill in the empty spots with Enfeebling magic.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-16 05:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

well... i kinda only have 2 pages for macros on BLM, but that mainly cause of spellcast; dont need any differences in my macros, they just exist out of the spell. I really dont think any job can have such an improvement out of spellcast then blm. Before that i had for every spell 3 different macros depending on resist.
Now my first mage is B and T Nukes 3-AM2, all sleep,stun,bind grav etc on Alt + Buffs for myself (SS,Utsu,Cure) on the remaining parts of the nukes on CTRL, while Phalanx/cure and Utsusemi are in one macro so i either cast cure/phalanx with /rdm or /whm or i cast with that macro Utsusemi.
also i have Sleepga I and Sleepga 2 in one macro, so if one isnt ready i automaticly cast the other.
I hate to switch between macro sites. The second site i have is mainly for aga spells for events where i only need aga's with the same debuffs udn buffs at the same alt-position like on first page.
If i ever need anything else... can still just klick it in list. i dont see why a BLM should have a macro site just for the Stone-Tier spells lol

this is how it looks more or less (not loggen in atm)

Page1:
CTRL:FreezeII/BurstII/BliIV/ThunIV/BliIII//ThunIII/SS/Blink/Phalanx_Utsu_ichi/cureIII_Utsu_ni
ALT:SleepgaII_SleepgaI/Sleep2/Sleep1/Stun/Grav/Bind/Aspir/Drain/Dispel/pcmd add <member> macro
Page2
CTRL:BlizzagaIII/ThundagaIII/BlizzagaII/ThundagaII/FiragaIII/FiragaII
and the rest like macro page 1
This snd page is mainly for PW Lamps or JoL Adds

another edit w...
in my eyes, no BLm should have any DoT is close range of normal macros to press by accident. It dont help if a BLM DoT a MNK Mob in Dynamis instat of sleeping it when he want to make him 2hr :) (before DD's even start to attack it)
Dont say... "eh who would ever press a DoT by accident"... i saw many stuff so far :P like RDM who diaga inmid of many sleeping mobs instat of just a sleep cause they were on the wrong macro book. Can happen, would never be angyr at things like this. But dont haveing macros for DoT as BLM will prevent such things
[+]
 Unicorn.Motokosun
Server: Unicorn
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-16 05:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I only use 1 macro set for all my blm needs and is as follows:

Top row: Equip-Equip-Equip-Ug.Pen-Frz2-Blz4-Brst2-Thun4-Assist.
Bottom row: Equip-Equip-Equip-Slp2-Grav-Bind-Aspir-Drain-Bio2-Stoneskin

I only use these 20 macros, the rest of the spells i cast i use from scrolling down my VERY CUSTOMIZED list of spells. I once used 2 pages to incorporate all the spells i use on Blm, BUT i was dieing way to much due to switching of pages. (i do alot of Blm solo, and even a 1 second delay on getting a spell going would be the difference between success/fail)

Also to note i NEVER go anything other then Blm/Rdm unless i'm doing Byakko or Salvage, and in for those i do have a seperate page for each, but i won't mention those cause i use them once a month at most.

The amazing thing about macros is the abilty to customize for your needs and play style. What works for one will not always work for another, but it can be a good starting point for you to build your own unique set.

Good Luck Black Mage Zayo of Alexander on your Macro Quest.
 Midgardsormr.Tousou
Server: Midgardsormr
user:
By Midgardsormr.Tousou 2009-09-16 06:03:54
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a fail BLM, but I really enjoy the idea I have going for my macroes currently. I used to have trouble flipping pages due to lag, and switching out gear with SE's macro limits. I also had to macro in every spell, just cause. This is what I found works for me...

Page 1
CTRL
Ice-Thunder-Fire-Water-Wind-Earth-Blank-Blank-Buff-Enfeeble

-The respective elements take you to a macro set that contains the Ice spells.(/macro set 2 on mine I think) The initial macro also contains specific gear swaps that won't change via Resist, MAB, Etc (Elemental Staves, for example).

ALT
Stand-HmP-Sneak-Invis-Support-Assist1-Assist2-Stun-Drain-Aspir

-This side is rather useless, but contains everything I use on a near constant basis.

In case I wasn't clear enough, I'll give an example of its use.

From HUD:

CTRL 1- Switches to Macro Set 2, which contains my Ice Spells. This also swaps in my Ice Staff and a few other pieces of gear.

(Page 2's Setup)
CTRL
Ice4-Ice3-Ice2-Ice-Blank-Ice(ga)3-2-1-Freeze-Freeze II

ALT
MAB-Skill-Stand-HMp- 5 blanks- HUD(Macro set 1)

So, I start casting Ice4, while the spell is charging, I hit one of my equip sets. I believe the sets are self-explanatory, so yeah... Anyway, once all that is finished, I hit my HUD button and it takes me back to Page1. If I know what I'm going to cast, I can be ready to hit the next set of macros.

Note: I spent more time helping out in piddly stuff, and never got the chance to solo Puddings in Mt. Zhayolm. That being said, I've had trouble enfeebling on the fly, so a different style for that may be helpful.
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 06:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you to [everyone] that has posted so far!

@Motokosun
I had not thought about setting the order of my spells... I know how, just never thought about putting them in the order most used, or in the order of a typical fight.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-16 06:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Zayo said:
Thank you to [everyone] that has posted so far!

@Motokosun
I had not thought about setting the order of my spells... I know how, just never thought about putting them in the order most used, or in the order of a typical fight.

Well see for me i have it like this. I have white spells at top and black spells at bottom.

Depending on the event im doing i will re-arrange my spells accordingly, for instance in dynamis I have Sleepga2 at the very bottom of the list so it is extremely easy to get to. I always put the desired white spells at top and black spells at the bottom for easy access.

Unfort. for me when I designed my Blm i had no starting point, but at same token this was good because it was 100% tailor made to fit my play style.

Hope i was of some assistance.
 Odin.Eirwen
By Odin.Eirwen 2009-09-16 06:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

#PAGE 10#
* Earth Staff
* Water Staff
* Wind Staff
* Fire Staff
* Ice Staff
* Thunder Staff
* Dark Staff
* AF
* Nuke Outfit
* Rest Outfit

BOTTOM
* Flist
* Map
* /Sea all Linkshell
* Enhancing Magic set - (Ice Spikes, Blink, Stoneskin - need to cap this)
* Reraise
* Raise
* Warp
* Warp II
* Tractor
* Escape

#PAGE 1#
* Stone - T4, T3, T2
* Water - T4, T3, T2
* Aero - T4, T3, T2
* Fire - T4, T3, T2
* Blizzard - T4, T3, T2
* Thunder - T4, T3, T2
* Bio - T2, T1
* Aspir
* Gravity
* Stun

BOTTOM
* Poison - T2, T1 + Equip change
* Sleep - T2, T1 + Equip change
* Drown + Equip change
* Rasp + Equip change
* Frost + Equip change
* Burn + Equip change
* Shock + Equip change
* Choke + Equip change
* Blind + Equip change
* Bind + Equip change

#PAGE 2#
* Cure + Light Staff
* Cure II + Light Staff
* Cure III + Light Staff
* Curaga - T2, T1 + Light Staff
* Protect - T4, T3, T2
* Shell - T3, T2, T1
* Protectra II + Shellra II
* Blink
* Stoneskin
* Banish

BOTTOM
* Dia - T2, T1
* Slow
* Paralyze
* Silence
* Blindna
* Paralyna
* Poisona
* Silena
* Invisible
* Sneak

There you have it, my macro list for BLM with /WHM or /RDM, out of the head as I'm currently at work. Not the best sets, but after several years, I just grew accustomed to it. (even managed to shrink it down to these three pages. Used to be overed in 4 or even 5!)

The idea behind my pages is to not have too many pages/sets with spells located everywhere, yet have access to most of your spells, because you can never ALWAYS know in what kind of situation you find yourself in. As mentioned before, my friend has all elemental nukes in seperate sets, followed by Stun, Bind, Cure II, Cure III, Gravity, and other commonly used spells at every set. If he were to add new equipment to his common spells, he would have to edit that in all sets. I would get lost in that and suddenly have a Sleep macro without my equipment, while the rest does have that. Plus having T1-T4 in seperate macros like him is not all that useful, since you mostly rely on the strongest Tier.

I won't go into more detail. Only that I'm used to having my macros like this for years ^^; So... go for what you find easy to use and what you're used to.
[+]
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-16 06:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Eirwen said:
#PAGE 10#

#PAGE 1#
* Stone - T4, T3, T2
* Water - T4, T3, T2
* Aero - T4, T3, T2
* Fire - T4, T3, T2
* Blizzard - T4, T3, T2
* Thunder - T4, T3, T2
* Bio - T2, T1

* Aspir
* Gravity
* Stun

I am a little confused what these macros do. Is it:
Line1- /ma "Stone Iv" <t>
Line2- /wait xx time
Line3- /ma "Stone III" <t>
Line4- /wait xx time
Line5- /ma "Stone II" <t>

Or... I'm curious what there true function is.
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 06:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

@Tousou
That's the kind of set that I'm looking to make. Would have to customize it a bit, but I think that's what I'm going to have to do if I want to make use of all the gear available. My current macro sets dont have room for ele. obis, so this "set per element" sort of thing may be it.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-16 07:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM forum here guys :D http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?forum_id=58
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 07:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Any BLM/SCH's out there? /SCH's JA's really add to this issue. :/
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 07:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika! I hoped you would chime in!

I had searched for a BLM macro thread, hadn't thought to search for a BLM thread lol
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-16 07:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Zayo said:
Any BLM/SCH's out there? /SCH's JA's really add to this issue. :/

Pop dark arts via the menu
wait 2hrs until it wears off
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 07:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:

There is more to /SCH than that and you know it!
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-16 07:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Zayo said:
Antipika! I hoped you would chime in!

Wish I could help sadly last time I used SE macro I was level 50 or something ; ;
 Odin.Aramina
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-09-16 07:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna have to type this out in Word or something and CopyPasta later...
 Alexander.Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-09-16 07:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

@Antipika
Sadly I know that the best option is one that SE did not provide. Sad face.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-16 07:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Zayo said:
@Antipika
Sadly I know that the best option is one that SE did not provide. Sad face.

At this point in the games history there is no reason to add all the componets windower users get like distance, peoples tp, spell cast, and all the others goodies.

Game was designed and coded originally for PS2 and they have been left in the dust :(
I love playing my ps2 but i play pc alot for the extras, i also play xbox but hate it so much.
 Odin.Eirwen
By Odin.Eirwen 2009-09-16 07:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Motokosun said:
Eirwen said:
#PAGE 10#

#PAGE 1#
* Stone - T4, T3, T2
* Water - T4, T3, T2
* Aero - T4, T3, T2
* Fire - T4, T3, T2
* Blizzard - T4, T3, T2
* Thunder - T4, T3, T2
* Bio - T2, T1

* Aspir
* Gravity
* Stun

Line2- /wait xx time
Line4- /wait xx time

Yep, you're right. Stupid of me not to add that. There's a "/wait 1" between every Tier, because it fails to cast, for example, Stone III if Stone IV is on recast. One of my silent wishes they would fix...
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-16 07:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Eirwen said:
Motokosun said:
Eirwen said:
#PAGE 10#

#PAGE 1#
* Stone - T4, T3, T2
* Water - T4, T3, T2
* Aero - T4, T3, T2
* Fire - T4, T3, T2
* Blizzard - T4, T3, T2
* Thunder - T4, T3, T2
* Bio - T2, T1

* Aspir
* Gravity
* Stun

Line2- /wait xx time
Line4- /wait xx time

Yep, you're right. Stupid of me not to add that. There's a "/wait 1" between every Tier, because it fails to cast, for example, Stone III if Stone IV is on recast. One of my silent wishes they would fix...

Aight i see what ya got going on now, cool idea.
 Odin.Eirwen
By Odin.Eirwen 2009-09-16 07:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting to see how everyone is managing their BLM macros. Guess it also differs on usage if you're on a console. PC player here!

@Motoko
Thanks ^^ Kinda got the idea after learning about a certain SMN macro years ago.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-16 08:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Zayo said:
Argettio said:

There is more to /SCH than that and you know it!

Course you will need to recast re-raise after you die due to the lack of stoneskin and blink etc.

On a more serious note:
Without 3rd party apps using BLM/SCH to the fullest will be very difficult.

But if you wanted to do it, then it would require a lot of page swapping.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-16 08:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:

Without 3rd party apps using BLM/SCH to the fullest will be very difficult

For the first few years of the game i was console only and was jealous/angered of 3rd party tool users.

WELL, the day has come, I'm the brand new owner of 4th party tools
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-09-16 08:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

For macros I found it easiest to omit a large portion of the spells from the macro set, and generally only put commonly used spells during battle. Everything else is situational, and can be preemptively selected through the menu fast enough to be effective while not keeping your macro palette too cluttered. I also wanted one book to encompass both /RDM and /WHM, as they're my most commonly used subjobs.

That's not to say BLM doesnt require a large amount of macros, but yeah. After considering the above, I tried to put them in an ergonomic and memorable form, keeping certain elements using the same fingers and more vital spells in prominent, easy to reach places.

I started with what I call the "Home" set. It's basically just Set 1, using both Ctrl and Alt. The idea was to basically bring myself back to this set and have everything I needed for survivability.

CTRL: 1. Elemental Seal - 2. Thunder IV - 3. Blizzard IV - 4. Stun - 5. Fire IV - 6. Aero IV - 7. Phalanx - 8. Dispel - 9. Rest - 10. Hate (enemy /assist).

Alt: 1. Sleep II - 2. Bind - 3. Gravity - 4. Sleepga II - 5. Aspir - 6. Drain - 7. Bio II - 8. Silence - 9. Poison II - 10. Sleep

Because of how my keyboard is situated and the size of my hands, I found it difficult to scroll up or down through macro sets while using the Alt key, so I chose to not make any macros that utilized the alt key past the home set. Therefore, all of the macros I made past the home set only use CTRL. Scrolling up (into set 10) continues with nukes, while scrolling down brings you to buffs, debuffs, and cures.

Set 2 (Scroll down once):
1. Divine Seal - 2. Erase - 3. Cure III - 4. Curaga II - 5. Silena - 6. Poisona - 7. Paralyna - 8. Stoneskin - 9. Blink - 10. Reraise

Set 10 (Scroll up once):
1. Sleepga - 2. Thundaga III - 3. Blizzaga III - 4. Blank - 5. Tornado II - 6. Burst II - 7. Freeze II - 8. Flare II - 9. Blank - 10. Escape

Set 9 (Scroll up twice):
1. Choke - 2. Burn - 3. Shock - 4. Blank - 5. Drown - 6. Rasp - 7. Frost - 8. Blank - 9. Poisonga - 10. Blank

Two spells I would really like to macro include Slow and Paralyze... I never macro'd them because of thier limited use as a BLM, as well as my feeling that they belonged on my Alt set and I did not have room for them. But they're not terrible to use through the menu, though I've come across numerous situations where having it macro'd for a faster cast could have been more efficient than scrolling the spell list.

No point in going into gear options here, that's not our topic. But as far as switching gear goes... simply put, the stock macro system is just NOT ENOUGH to switch the amount of gear BLM requires on each cast. In order to make the stock macro system work, you end up having to press multiple macros for the same cast just to get everything on before the spell goes off. I would personally recommend windower's Spellcast plugin, since it easily gives the most versatility and does a lot of the processing for you (like auto-equipping your idle set after every cast, without a macro press. or auto-equipping your day/weather bonus obis and af2 legs. Auto-equip your latent gear like Ugg pendants, Sorcerer's Earring when you meet the latent. Auto-equip your high resist set when targeting certain HNMs or anything else you've listed.) Spellcast is an exceptional tool with a HUGE amount of features and abilities when programmed correctly.

If Spellcast seems a little too advanced, windower's scripting macros can work just as efficiently for most things. Though you'll still have to press an extra macro for your idle set, manually switch your latent gear, manually change sets for certain targets, etc. So while you can essentially switch just as much gear, windower's scripting requires a little more attention during play, and a few more macro presses.
[+]
First Page 2