Random Politics & Religion #09

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 53 54 55
Guide Maker
By Seha 2016-08-04 09:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Also only americans apparently think english is a hard language. It's so easy lol.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Japanese can do as they please. I'm just saying that Americans are more accepting of other people than Japanese.

The US is huge. Where are we talking? Metropolis'? Small towns? Back country?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
Can you imagine the outrage if say Applebee's put up a sign saying No Mexican customers. It would be headline news.

Well, we kinda did that once upon a time...

and we might do it again next year?

Yea what Trump is talking about has nothing to do with that. He is talking about people entering illegal. I know it is a hard concept to follow but we have borders for a reason.

Except the illegal immigration problem is resolving itself. Why spend money on something that is already taken care of? The idea that millions are pouring across daily is some feel-good ***.

Further, he's mentioned nothing about the drug situation which is part of why Mexico is the way it is.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-04 10:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should be more like Europe no borders. Just let all illegal immigrants in.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Europe isn't America. We're on a natural fortress of a continent. Unless you're afraid of wild Canucks crossing the border to the North, most of the issues are the to the South.

The drug war is a huge reason Latin America is *** up. Building the great wall won't change the underpinning issues.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-04 10:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Europe isn't America. We're on a natural fortress of a continent. Unless you're afraid of wild Canucks crossing the border to the North, most of the issues are the to the South.

The drug war is a huge reason Latin America is *** up. Building the great wall won't change the underpinning issues.

so....you're saying we should carpet bomb latin america..

I think we can make some room for you on president trump's cabinet
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 10:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Seha said: »
Also only americans apparently think english is a hard language. It's so easy lol.

Subjective statement is subjective.

Frame of reference necessary.

Compared to say, Spanish, English is difficult in the sense it has many more obscure rules, questionable pronunciations and inconsistencies.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-04 10:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Drug war sounds like fun. Where do I sign up.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-08-04 10:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I always assumed it was a harder language because of all the irregularities compared to the Romance languages. French and Spanish are the only ones I know, but they follow a hell of a lot more rules than English ever did.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Alot of people are exposed around the world to English from a young age via media so that helps a ton in learning English.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

But all the retirees in Costa Rica and Nicaragua!
[+]
Server: Excalibur
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-08-04 10:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you imagine the outrage if say Applebee's put up a sign saying No Mexican customers. It would be headline news.

Yea what Trump is talking about has nothing to do with that. He is talking about people entering illegal. I know it is a hard concept to follow but we have borders for a reason.

Right, Trump is not *directly* saying we should discriminate against people based on race etc

BUT - The way he promotes his would-be methods for curbing illegal immigration and the rhetoric he uses are what will cause more people to be vocally and publicly racist, and will encourage things like "no Mexicans allowed" signs in places of business.

It actually is not a hard concept to understand why borders exist, why we have processes for people to legally work here or become citizens.

The hard concept for people to understand is that just because some illegal immigrants are Mexican, does not mean all Mexicans are illegal immigrants. Even harder than that is the fact that illegal immigrant or not they are still people, fellow human beings, who should be treated with at least a base level of respect and failing that decency.
By fonewear 2016-08-04 10:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking things Americans don't care about the Olympics are about to start. Watch as America beats loser countries in a epic battle of beach volleyball !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking things Americans don't care about the Olympics are about to start. Watch as America beats loser countries in a epic battle of beach volleyball !

I can't wait to see the rowing team get a gold medal in Legionnaire's.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-04 10:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, Trump is not *directly* saying we should discriminate against people based on race etc

BUT - The way he promotes his would-be methods for curbing illegal immigration and the rhetoric he uses are what will cause more people to be vocally and publicly racist, and will encourage things like "no Mexicans allowed" signs in places of business.

It actually is not a hard concept to understand why borders exist, why we have processes for people to legally work here or become citizens.

The hard concept for people to understand is that just because some illegal immigrants are Mexican, does not mean all Mexicans are illegal immigrants. Even harder than that is the fact that illegal immigrant or not they are still people, fellow human beings, who should be treated with at least a base level of respect and failing that decency.

They are criminals and if you want to treat criminals with decency that is on you. I prefer they follow the rule of law.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 10:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

These have to be the least-hyped Olympics ever. I haven't seen squat for advertising and marketing until literally a week ago, and I walked into a sports store for some sneakers and went "What's with all the Team USA stuff...?...oh right. ***. The Olympics are like, tomorrow."

I've got to think part of that is the IOC (and domestically, NBC) going "FUUUUUCK. This is going to be a hot mess, literally and figuratively. Let's downplay this year, eh?"
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 10:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's ask the Japanese how they feel about cultural diversity/language

Just a hunch, but I bet those signs are posted in areas close to military bases.

Not all of us, but a lot of the US military just treat Japan (or really any city/town/country with a port) as a place to eat/drink/vomit/*** when they aren't deployed.

It leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and is completely understandable that they don't want Americans there.
Especially Okinawa.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-04 10:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Subjective statement is subjective.

Frame of reference necessary.

Compared to say, Spanish, English is difficult in the sense it has many more obscure rules, questionable pronunciations and inconsistencies.
I speak italian, english, french and german, and followed some classes in swedish and japanese(but didn't further study these). I think I have some decent knowledge of how different languages work. And as a latin language native speaker you'd think I'd agree about how easy spanish and french are.

English is really easy, there is no question about it, I don't know under what kind of proud pretense you guys deny this. It might be not easy to write, but it sure is easy to speak.

To be fair swedish is easier, but who the hell would speak that?
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-04 10:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

But all the retirees in Costa Rica and Nicaragua!

Oh c'mon...it's only a matter of time before they all MacAffe anyways

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 10:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Japanese can do as they please. I'm just saying that Americans are more accepting of other people than Japanese.

Like you been outside your city.

With your viewpoints, I highly doubt you make it past your city limits.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite part of the Olympics is whenever the US teams start getting spanked in something they cut to some moving story about the athlete like I a give a ***.

At least in other countries when they're losing they just cut back to normal programming.
By fonewear 2016-08-04 10:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
These have to be the least-hyped Olympics ever. I haven't seen squat for advertising and marketing until literally a week ago, and I walked into a sports store for some sneakers and went "What's with all the Team USA stuff...?...oh right. ***. The Olympics are like, tomorrow."

I've got to think part of that is the IOC (and domestically, NBC) going "FUUUUUCK. This is going to be a hot mess, literally and figuratively. Let's downplay this year, eh?"

Other than beach volleyball. I wouldn't watch any of it even if it was in my back yard.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Like you been outside your city.

With your viewpoints, I highly doubt you make it past your city limits.

Elaborate. Since you know more about me than I do.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-04 10:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pfft, Summer Olympics suck. No curling! The closest thing they could get to it in the summer is shuffleboard, but they don't want old people with walkers winning gold medals.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 10:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
English is really easy, there is no question about it, I don't know under what kind of proud pretense you guys deny this

You're presuming this is a pride issue. I'm speaking directly of subjective differences in language structure.

Of course English is easy as *** if you've grown up surrounded by it. I could really give a damn about the difficulty, all languages other than English are difficult for me. My brain simply doesn't process foreign languages well when trying to learn them. I love to listen to them being spoken though.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-08-04 10:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

proud pretense

Not at all. I don't think it's hard if you're a native speaker; I just always assumed it was harder if you were coming from a more orderly language.

I stand corrected.
[+]
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2016-08-04 10:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Damnit Ramy, I'm just gonna let you do this
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 10:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Pfft, Summer Olympics suck. No curling! The closest thing they could get to it in the summer is shuffleboard, but they don't want old people with walkers winning gold medals.

For curling fans, there is always Men's Trampoline. Don't miss Women's Badminton either!
Server: Excalibur
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-08-04 10:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

They are criminals and if you want to treat criminals with decency that is on you. I prefer they follow the rule of law.

Absolutely they must be held to the law, but yes, criminals are also human beings and we have systems in place to (attempt to) ensure they are treated as such while they are held in correctional facilities.

The thing is, the way things are going with Trump's supporters, it isn't just the criminals that are facing the effects of the bigotry being generated. Just like you completely blew past what I said about how not all Mexicans are illegal immigrants, that is exactly what many other people will do. Legitimate Americans of Mexican heritage will have to suffer because of the blatant ignorance put on display by people who take that position.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 10:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair swedish is easier, but who the hell would speak that?

I'd like to. But I only have so many hours in the day, my time to spend learning languages I'll seldom use is limited, and if you're going to use a language in a limited capacity, what's the point anyway?

Which is part of the thing to. You are in a position to use many of the languages you've learned.

In the U.S., unless it's 1) Spanish or 2) you work specifically in a field that requires you to communicate with those from outside the U.S., you have practically zero chance to apply any foreign languages.
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 53 54 55