Random Politics & Religion #09

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 53 54 55
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 08:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

When it comes to languages being easy and making sense, I actually think Spanish is better than English in many ways.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea while you are learning Spanish the other 400 million of us will be speaking English.
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
When it comes to languages being easy and making sense, I actually think Spanish is better than English in many ways.

No thanks for trying though.
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

This is an affront to everything the Simpsons did from seasons 1-10. The only thing that remains the same is title of the show.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 09:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
It's much easier than languages like German and French because of pronunciation and grammar.

Seriously, French grammar is ridiculous.

J'éternue à votre direction générale !
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea you can't argue that English is lesser of a language when almost one billion people speak it in some form worldwide.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 09:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Yea you can't argue that English is lesser of a language when almost one billion people speak it in some form worldwide.
Sure you can. Liberals do it all the time.

You better check your language privileges!
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-04 09:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

In particular the vowels. There are those occasional weird exceptions, but for the most part you see a vowel and you know exactly what sound it makes. As for American English, look at the endings to these six words:

Crystal
Angel
Pencil
Idol
Doubtful
Pterodactyl

Yeah, you'll have those people who pronounce the vowels extra well, but it's not unusual in American English to hear all of those pronounced with the same ending sound.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-04 09:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

All languages are rich in their own way. How many people speak it has nothing to do with the richness of the language, only with who conquered whom in the past. If you don't speak at least 3 languages WELL, don't even bother having an opinion on which one is better. You'll always chose your own and that's just not fair.
Also, if you don't speak at least 3 languages, chances are you don't even speak the 1 you know very well. This is not my opinion, it's fact.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-04 09:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I can be your angle or yuor devil.
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
All languages are rich in their own way. How many people speak it has nothing to do with the richness of the language, only with who conquered whom in the past. If you don't speak at least 3 languages WELL, don't even bother having an opinion on which one is better. You'll always chose your own and that's just not fair.
Also, if you don't speak at least 3 languages, chances are you don't even speak the 1 you know very well. This is not my opinion, it's fact.

It is not a fact but you can think it is a fact I guess.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-04 09:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I can be your angle

you're too obtuse!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 09:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say English was a lesser language, I said from a learning standpoint Spanish is easier and consistently makes more sense, especially as Rav pointed in, in regarded to vowel treatment.

Spanish doesn't have nearly as many quirky rules to it.

I like English just fine and am lucky it's my native tongue, as I'm utter ***at learning foreign languages.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-04 09:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't bash or make fun of other people's languages. Learn to appreciate the variety around you. You'll be happier for it.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-04 09:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

WHERE'S YOUR GOD EDIT BUTTON NOW!? HAHAHAHA!!!
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't bash or make fun of other people's languages. Learn to appreciate the variety around you. You'll be happier for it.

I don't appreciate anything why do you think I"m on this forum !
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-04 09:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't appreciate anything why do you think I"m on this forum !
Sad...
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 09:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Mmmm...no.

Going to disagree here.

It's good to know many languages, but that is not a fact. I speak one and a half, given my Spanish is enough to get me out of a country if I get stuck there and that's about it.

But while I'm not conceited enough to consider myself a "master" of any language -- or anything, for that matter -- I'd like to think I've got a very good handle on the English language. That could simply be the pride of having a degree in a field to which writing is intrinsic, but I stand by my assertion nevertheless.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-04 09:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not? I'm bilingual and have a basic knowledge of a few more languages. I bash other languages as well as my own. They're all flawed, they're all quirky, and pointing it out doesn't decrease my appreciation for any of them.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's ask the Japanese how they feel about cultural diversity/language

Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 09:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

When most of Europe can speak English it doesn't help that a few big countries won't spend some time teaching kids at least basic English so they can make themselves understood
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I know some French and I can't tell you the last time I thought it was useful. Maybe going to a French restaurant and being able to order stuff I guess.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-04 09:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Mmmm...no.

Going to disagree here.

It's good to know many languages, but that is not a fact. I speak one and a half, given my Spanish is enough to get me out of a country if I get stuck there and that's about it.

But while I'm not conceited enough to consider myself a "master" of any language -- or anything, for that matter -- I'd like to think I've got a very good handle on the English language. That could simply be the pride of having a degree in a field to which writing is intrinsic, but I stand by my assertion nevertheless.
Well, that's why I said "chances are." Some people do speak 1 language well. But can you really say that about the majority of the students who were in English class with you?
Come on. When I was in school, and the teacher would ask people to read a paragraph from a book, people who only spoke English, then he'd cut them off 2 lines in and say "Laurelli, please show them how it's done."
I've even had a French teacher say in class that people who don't speak English will never learn French properly.
Anyways, I have no issues with you and I'm not here to brag about how many languages I speak. Just bugs me when someone starts berating things they don't know.
My main points are: All languages are rich in their own way. Don't bash or make fun of other people's languages. Learn to appreciate the variety around you. You'll be happier for it.
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-08-04 09:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's ask the Japanese how they feel about cultural diversity/language

Just a hunch, but I bet those signs are posted in areas close to military bases.

Not all of us, but a lot of the US military just treat Japan (or really any city/town/country with a port) as a place to eat/drink/vomit/*** when they aren't deployed.

It leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and is completely understandable that they don't want Americans there.
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Japanese can do as they please. I'm just saying that Americans are more accepting of other people than Japanese.
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you imagine the outrage if say Applebee's put up a sign saying No Mexican customers. It would be headline news.
[+]
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-08-04 09:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you imagine the outrage if say Applebee's put up a sign saying No Mexican customers. It would be headline news.

Well, we kinda did that once upon a time...

and we might do it again next year?
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Then again people in America find everything offensive. So the bar is set pretty low.

We can't even agree on whether he or she is offensive or not...
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-04 09:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Seriously, French grammar is ridiculous.
If you think that I suggest you to avoid italian. It's just like french, but now with 80% more exceptions!
By fonewear 2016-08-04 09:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »

Well, we kinda did that once upon a time...

and we might do it again next year?

Yea what Trump is talking about has nothing to do with that. He is talking about people entering illegal. I know it is a hard concept to follow but we have borders for a reason.
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 53 54 55