Random Politics & Religion #09

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 53 54 55
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-03 17:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Before certain people bite my head off for using the word "free"

It's paid for through taxes
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-08-03 17:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It's strange that by taking shots at the anti-AGW crowd that you're actually supporting my claim in a roundabout way. Don't be mad that the science disagrees with you, it'll be okay.
First of all, you haven't linked any science so there's not much of a conflict.

Second of all, I think it's convenient that researchers are inherently untrustworthy, biased, and near-incompetent until one of them claims something you agree with.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-03 17:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
For someone who's spewed anti-semitic rhetoric here many times, I'm surprised to see shul or temple used in such a positive way. A mitzvah!
Go get me the Anti-semite quote. I'm a semite by the way.
Go fetch me the Anti-semite hate speech.
Post them here.
He is correct gang. I have often railed at the inappropriate use of the term semite as applying only to Jews. And, as a mater of sober fact, many Jews are not semites while all Arabs are.

Being anti Israel is not being antisemitic.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-08-03 18:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Also what's up with the sweeping generalization that a german(or a european even lol) can't accuse anyone of anti-semitism?
Swoosh
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-03 18:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Question is, whose taxes?
By Bloodrose 2016-08-03 18:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
As we've been over this in many other threads, taxes collected is money the government owns, or is owed, for the use of many things, such as the currency itself, to the use of government owned and operated buildings and programs.

Unless you're (in the royal sense) one of those people who seem to believe that every scent of the taxes collected is somehow yours, and you, privately, and secretly decide what that collected money is used for.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-03 18:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It's strange that by taking shots at the anti-AGW crowd that you're actually supporting my claim in a roundabout way. Don't be mad that the science disagrees with you, it'll be okay.

Second of all, I think it's convenient that researchers are inherently untrustworthy, biased, and near-incompetent until one of them claims something you agree with.

We already covered this when it happened. I linked it then. Go find it if you're interested.

Secondly, I only referenced the study because people continue to spew the narrative that there a racial bias in police shootings. When you have something to show for it to back your claim beyond confirmation bias, let us know.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-08-03 18:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

We already covered this when it happened. I linked it then. Go find it if you're interested.

Secondly, I only referenced the study because people continue to spew the narrative that there a racial bias in police shootings. When you have something to show for it to back your claim beyond confirmation bias, let us know.

Same study found racial bias in police violence but not shootings. Which fits the narrative.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-08-03 18:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you realize how *** ironic it is that a German would be throwing the word Anti-Semite at a semite (arabs are semite, genius) in a discussion about how the Europeans oppressed minorities?!

The very *** word was coined to describe European systemic oppression of Semites.

Errr...Irish flag?

Also, since you're bringing up past events, I could easily point to current events, as would a few others here. We probably shouldn't go that route since there's a multitude of threads devoted to it.

You've said some pretty objectionable things on here. Are you going to keep going for broke?

Obviously the Germans haven't stopped being Nazis, duh

Yep. So, if we're white-washing things here, let's hope grandchildren of ISIS and other affiliates actually learn harsh, stark realities from the past.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-03 18:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Same study found racial bias in police violence but not shootings. Which fits the narrative.

There was certainly a bias for physicality. That wasn't what was said in here, though. Stick with that and I won't call have to call anyone out on it.
By fonewear 2016-08-03 18:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's free tuition

Sign me up. Transgender studies here I come !
By fonewear 2016-08-03 18:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to major in gender fluidity with a minor in nuclear engineering...
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-03 19:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Irish Archbishop To Stop Sending Trainee Priests to Catholic College Due to its โ€˜Gay Cultureโ€™
Time

"One [allegation] is that there is a homosexual, or gay culture, and that students have been using an app called Grindr"

Quote:
A leading Irish Archbishop has said he will stop sending his trainee priests to study in the countryโ€™s main Catholic college due to allegations of a โ€œgay culture.โ€

Diarmuid Martin, the Archbishop of Dublin, will be sending his seminarians, or students, to the Irish College in Rome, Italy, instead of to St Patrickโ€™s College in Maynooth because of a โ€œquarrelsome attitude.โ€

Speaking on RTร‰, Irelandโ€™s national television and radio broadcaster, Dr Martin said that he was โ€œunhappyโ€ about sending his students to Maynooth and made the decision to send them to Italy instead โ€œsome months agoโ€ due to a โ€œwhole series of anonymous allegationsโ€ in the form of letters and blog posts.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-03 19:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
As we've been over this in many other threads, taxes collected is money the government owns, or is owed, for the use of many things, such as the currency itself, to the use of government owned and operated buildings and programs.

Unless you're (in the royal sense) one of those people who seem to believe that every scent of the taxes collected is somehow yours, and you, privately, and secretly decide what that collected money is used for.
A) #Wings4Rooks
B) I'm talking about EU. Since it's all interconnected, I wasn't sure if Drac's country's taxes are used only in his country for tuition or if it's a shared pool (some things are shared between member countries, which is why Brexit was such a big deal).

And I'm too lazy to look it up myself.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2016-08-03 19:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

scent of the taxes

MMMM, smells like theft
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-03 19:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cruz Missive said: »
scent of the taxes

MMMM, smells like theft
More like Sex and Candy

#MakeAmericaSingMarcyPlaygroundAgain
By Bloodrose 2016-08-03 20:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

scent of the taxes

MMMM, smells like theft
More like Sex and Candy

#Thisisthesongthatneverends
By fonewear 2016-08-03 20:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Now for a musical interlude

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Enuyasha 2016-08-03 21:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

scent of the taxes

MMMM, smells like theft
More like Sex and Candy

Iunno man, Teen Spirit is in the air.

#hashtagsforreasons #recklesshashtags
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-03 22:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(CNN)
[Breaking news update, posted at 10:55 p.m. ET]
Police say mental health is a "major factor" in the investigation into a series of stabbings Wednesday night in London in which five people were injured and one was killed.

A 19-year-old man is in police custody in the hospital, authorities say.

[Previous story, posted at 10:49 p.m. ET]
One woman was killed and five other people were injured in a knife attack in central London's Russell Square, London Metropolitan Police said.
A suspect has been detained, authorities said.
Police did not give a motive but said "terrorism is one possibility being explored at this stage."
Based on early evidence, investigators believe the incident was a terror attack, according to officials briefed on the investigation.
"The fact that they're evening mentioning terrorism leads me to believe that some of the witnesses and some of the victims may have said that this guy may have made some statements while he was carrying out the attack," former FBI agent Bobby Chacon said.
"The normal posture is to calm the public and say we don't have any information that it's terrorism yet."
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-03 22:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

By Blazed1979 2016-08-04 03:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Also, since you're bringing up past events, I could easily point to current events, as would a few others here. We probably shouldn't go that route since there's a multitude of threads devoted to it.

You've said some pretty objectionable things on here. Are you going to keep going for broke?

Bismarck.Dracondria said: ยป
Obviously the Germans haven't stopped being Nazis, duh

Yep. So, if we're white-washing things here, let's hope grandchildren of ISIS and other affiliates actually learn harsh, stark realities from the past.

Either you're intentionally being dense or trying to strawman. If you read the original point of contention, it centered around Anglo-Saxon and European imperialism being or not being especially destructive and oppressive. (white people who conquered Australia and disenfranchised the native people now refusing refuge to others), furthermore stating that in the ancient and modern history, the middle east has actually enjoyed exceptionally long periods of peace in comparison to the rest of the world.

Some came out and said there's nothing particularly special about European history while also attacking my claim about the middle east- you then came in with your Anti-semite false claims.

Why is it ironic? try to keep up now:

1. For 1,300 years Jews have been fleeing europe to the middle east for refuge from european persecution.

2. The most recent killing spree of Jews that Europe went on resulted in the creation of an Apartheid state in the middle east.

3.The term Anti-Semite was constructed to make note of european persecution of Jews - because there was no such thing as Arab or Islamic persecution of Jews. You, Europeans, own the term. It exists to describe your proven track record of discriminating and persecuting Jews. And what a track record it is.

4. The Europeans create an Apartheid state in a land that isn't theirs (imperialism) and call the native SEMITE people "Anti-Semite" for resisting the occupation.

The argument isn't about sweeping generalizations. It is about policies and the consequences of such, repeated over and over again throughout history by Europe. Its convenient for you to call them "sweeping generalizations" - another strawman, as the discussion isn't about individuals but about historical fact. Furthermore, you resort to ad hominem by calling me, a semite, Anti-Semite.

Weak.

I am very Anti-Israeli. very anti-zionist. That doesn't make me an anti-semite or anti-jew. There are hundreds of thousands of Jews who are Anti-Israel and Anti-Zionism.

Furthermore, my stance is the mainstream one on Israel. There are 9 Nations in the entire world that voted against a UN resolution recognizing everything I said above - Canada, the Czech Republic, Israel, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Panama and the United States of America.

Every single other nation on the planet, all 183, signed that resolution and voted YES - Palestine is a state and Israel is illegally occupying its territory. If you read the actual wording of the resolution, it states "remnants and consequences of Colonial powers", "european anti-semitism". It outright condemns European ambitions in Africa and Asia. And ALL your governments signed it.

But I can see how someone who doesn't follow the nuances might think that. If anything, you make sweeping generalizations. I'm still waiting for these Anti-Semite quotes.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-08-04 05:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Tell that to the Africans who are until this day having their resources and land pillaged, with warlords installed.

such ignorance is appalling.

You understand that these warlords arise from their own ranks, right?

You understand that the problems you're bemoaning are not intrinsically a white trait, and that there are people throughout all societies that will happily brutalize their peers to gain position, power, etc.?

I am not condoning the negative actions of my own and allied governments. I'm saying their actions are symptoms of a much larger problem.

#1: "You understand that these warlords arise from their own ranks, right?"
Beautiful Causation Fallacy. well done.

Have you done any reading at all into the past 400 years of African History?
Do you see those borders on the African Continent? Those were drawn by Europeans. They drew them without any regard to people's historical tribal ties to each other and the land. They did so to divide the resources of the land amongst themselves. Africa is still suffering as a result of this.

Furthermore, and most often, the rebels and warlords are basically one of 2 things:
A) A minority that takes up arms (from western arms dealers) to rebel against the oppression they suffer. They are on the wrongside of an imaginary border. On the other side they would be fine, but within their current nation they are a minority living in an area without water, without arable land. Check out Congo, Thanks Europe

B)An Anti-Government western sponsored faction rises to power and topples the government. Bringing about policies that are pro-western such as access to diamonds and gold mines or oil for close to nothing. Check out Nigeria, its a cool story.

Indeed the most troubled and impoverished states in Africa are those that did not/do not have the ability to resist european imperialism. The strangest thing about you who would deny the europeans exceptionally barbaric practices in Africa is that you don't realize it only ended officially 40 years ago.
Check out Portuguese Colonial War.
FACT: 90% of Africa was oppressed by Europe.

Appeal to ignorance, Check.
Here's a short video that might start the path to your enlightenment if you chose to really know, that is.

Or don't watch them. You're not likely to meet anyone irl who knows better, so you can continue to appeal to their ignorance and make statements like you just did.

Next we have this association fallacy.
#2:"You understand that the problems you're bemoaning are not intrinsically a white trait, and that there are people throughout all societies that will happily brutalize their peers to gain position, power, etc.?"

If other nations/civilizations demonstrate some similar traits of europeans, that does not a european history give them.
You seem to be at odds with the fact that no other group of people have been as successful as the europeans have at oppression and destruction. Let me put it to you this way, factually:

"Europe as a continent has seen more wars fought on its soil than the continents of Asia, Africa and the Americas combined. Recorded history tells us that the last century was the bloodiest years the world has ever seen."
http://worldwatchtoday.org/archives/1828

How many of these are European:
http://listverse.com/2012/03/02/top-10-worst-moments-in-human-history/
http://www.wonderslist.com/10-deadliest-wars-in-human-history/

You like anecdotal evidence? ok
Terms like "White Supremacy" exist just because right?
I've never heard Brown Supremacy, Yellow Supremacy, Black Supremacy, Red Supremacy.. I see a lot of white people living in countries built on the bones and skeletons of the native people, can you show a country where africans or asians built their nation on the bones and skeletons of their slaves and the native people?

South Africa - check
USA - Check
South America - Check
Australia - Check
Israel - Check
Thousands and thousands of Islands in the indian ocean, the arabian sea, the pacific, the atlantic - check
We're all speaking English because it's the richest language right (lol).
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 07:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Nairobi, Kenya (CNN)A Kenyan woman's hands were butchered and she was left with injuries to her head after she was brutally attacked by her husband, who blamed her for not being able to conceive any children during their seven-year marriage.
Jackline Mwende's husband, Stephen Ngila, allegedly attacked her in their home with a machete on July 23, which also left her deaf in one ear. Her father told CNN that Ngila "threatened to shut her mouth for good before attacking her with a machete."

Police and members of the community began looking for Ngila the night the attack took place. He was arrested the following day after appearing at the hospital where Mwende was being treated.

While Ngila allegedly attacked her because they weren't able to have children, a hospital in Nairobi said Mwende was fertile and it was her husband who had reproductive issues, Daily Nation reported.

Kenyan member of parliament Joyce Wanjala Lay told CNN: "It is really sad that something of this nature would happen in this time and age.
"Having a child is a shared responsibility. A woman without a child is still a woman and even more stronger," she said.
Lay tells CNN that she has been at the forefront of the campaign against gender-based violence after she became the first member of parliament to say that she had been assaulted by a fellow legislator.

Mwende is recovering from her injuries at her mother's home in Machakos county -- 64 miles from the capital, Nairobi, where women's rights representatives have visited her.
The Bangladeshi embassy in Kenya has promised to provide Mwende with medication for at least three months, while Lay says she and other activists have offered to provide her with prosthetic limbs, a $250 allowance per month, transport to therapy and business skills to help prepare her for life after recovery.
The attack has been condemned by politicians, activists and citizens across Kenya.

One activist, Irungu Houghton, said: "I know we are better than this depraved sexist violence. Shocked. A society that can't keep all safe means no one is safe."

While senator Janet Ong'era tweeted: "I wish Jackline Mwende quick recovery & call upon gender-based violence activists to support the creation of Mwende Fund to help her get prosthetic limbs."

The husband is due to appear in court on August 5.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 07:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

white people who conquered Australia and disenfranchised the native people now refusing refuge to others

Except none of those people are alive anymore and you can't blame that on the people currently living there
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 08:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Here in Sweden we start learning English in 3rd grade I believe and then German/French/Spanish in 6th grade (all the way up to 10th grade where we can choose a new language (Italian, Mandarin, Japanese etc or continue)

The reason we learn English first is because it's much more useful. It's much easier than languages like German and French because of pronunciation and grammar. It should be something everyone learns in school. Around 95% speak English here, at least enough to make themselves understood. Most speak it quite well.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 08:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed, you're not schooling me in anything, you're trying to say one group of people are shittier than another. That's not the case.

Some people historically are just better at being shitty.

It doesn't mean they're shittier. It just means they're more efficient at doing it on a large scale/in a different way.

There isn't a populated continent out there that isn't jam packed with a history of the indigenous people being shitty to each other and/or someone coming in from outside and being shitty to them.

There's a book called "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

You should read it if you haven't.

It's really very good, even if you don't agree with all of its conclusions. It really makes you think about the subject.

Basically it suggests that Europeans didn't imperialize the world through any sort of superiority of intellect or genetics, but rather due to environmental and geographical causes allowing for technological advancement creating -- to borrow a phrase from the book's wiki -- a positive feedback loop.

Really, the fact of the matter is that you and I aren't saying completely different things. It's just that you're attributing it to some sort of greater evil of Europeans whereas I'm simply saying that historically, they're no worse than anyone else, they just managed to happen upon the formula to be better at being bad first.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-04 08:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, also, did you mention you went to UCLA in the 90s?

You may even be familiar with Mr. Diamond.
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 53 54 55