Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Bahamut.Senaki 2024-07-13 14:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I’d only nominate my friends.
By K123 2024-07-13 16:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Only a few things stick in my mind as really memorable and most were group efforts rather than individuals.

The first group that showed you could melee burn Kirin was so wtf incredible. Cycling bards, etc. I think it was Rukenshin ls.

The first group to release you could KC souleater ***to death, first done on dynamis lord.

pchan sharing salvage low man starts was really impressive and I actually think that was the peak of challenge in FFXI.

When Thorny shared a strat for killing Abyssite NMs that was two RDM/NIN standing apart sharing hate so that it was easier to keep utsu ni up, etc. That was one of those really surprising moments where it's obvious when you think about it but noone thought of it because it wasn't standard.

Whoever realised BRD and NIN/BRD could tank. That was mad times.

Whoever first shared the gravity and kite strat for sortie F is cool too.
By K123 2024-07-13 16:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Stun botting delve was a pretty massive thing too, that people realised SCH/DRK could stun it and you could lock it down. Ruined the current end game meta really. Would be like realising you can just stun lock sortie, which apparently you can with SMN anyway.
By Pantafernando 2024-07-13 16:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Now without a joke, I would say MMORPG is supposelly a colective game, so makes little sense to have one "top player" when individually you can only achieve so much aside exploiting the system.

In that sense, probably there isnt a "top player", but probably a "top groups" that could organize a different people, distribute roles and perform well under any pressure, and became the benchmark of framework for whats to come.

I think those groups deserve more recognition than others that only achieve partial success, whats ok because this game isnt one to allow a single one to really make the difference.

Like a thinker once said: "I only could see further than others because I stood over giants shoulders".
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-07-13 16:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to nominate you... Yes... You... the person reading this.

I know you always worked hard and tried your best. I know you still have stuff you want to do and are doing your best to do it. Good job. Don't stop for anyone; remember you were the best when it's finally over.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2024-07-13 18:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Like a thinker once said: "I only could see further than others because I stood over giants shoulders".

The normal Newton quote is "if I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" and I typically regard it as a hilariously unjustified humility. Newton invented calculus in his 20s and used it to revolutionize physics and mathematics in Principia, which was published in his 40s. Some people have just got it, and he had it. *** lol @ shoulders of giants.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-07-13 19:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

On which server did Newton play? Don't think I remember the guy.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-07-13 20:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora or Unicorn, afaik
By Pantafernando 2024-07-13 20:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

And he was a taru who invented his first and second law after being kicked in his butt for selling singles for stack price in Port Jeuno
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-07-13 20:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Thats one hell of a Necro. Also a great trip down memory lane.

Humbled my name was mentioned but also reminded of why FFXI has the best community and the game is still alive due to it.

Respect
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2024-07-13 21:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Buukki is, hands down, one of the best players I have ever seen on Paladin and White Mage. His unparalleled skill in both jobs has been sorely missed since he has been gone. He absolutely belongs in Asura's Top 40.
[+]
By Malascar 2024-07-13 23:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

icing was the man
By Homsar 2024-07-14 02:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Really glad I got to read through this and see BeyondTheLimitation mentioned. Being on the same server as those guys always kinda felt like going to the same school as the members of a popular teen band or something.

IIRC, wasn't Muteki like the second person ever to get a relic or something? I thought I remembered him being important for the community learning about back-to-back Light SCs and the potential power of SAM/RNG. Could be wrong due to the time passage and all.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-07-14 03:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hya said: »
Buukki is, hands down, one of the best players I have ever seen on Paladin and White Mage. His unparalleled skill in both jobs has been sorely missed since he has been gone. He absolutely belongs in Asura's Top 40.

Tell the crew the GOAT has returned

[+]
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-07-14 09:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Homsar said: »
Really glad I got to read through this and see BeyondTheLimitation mentioned. Being on the same server as those guys always kinda felt like going to the same school as the members of a popular teen band or something.

IIRC, wasn't Muteki like the second person ever to get a relic or something? I thought I remembered him being important for the community learning about back-to-back Light SCs and the potential power of SAM/RNG. Could be wrong due to the time passage and all.

Muteki was the first person I saw with a relic (Amano) then Yoichi not long after.

BtL were total rockstars on Seraph.
 Ragnarok.Crusade
Server: Ragnarok
user: Crusade
By Ragnarok.Crusade 2024-07-14 15:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing on Ragnarok server since 2004 and I have never left so all of the cred will go to the best players on Ragnarok. Players receive a bonus above skills for being cool!

1. Martel: Best player hands down, Nicest and most helpful guy ever, taught my wife Nyarmenyar a ton about DRG and made her a true slayer of dragons. He helped me a ton on end-game starts when my groups were stuck over the years. Personality Bonus Rank SS+

2. Ejiin: Love him or hate him the dude has mad skills
Personality Bonus Rank F-

3. Bobdeezz: Amazing Player had all jobs maxed out and was great at all of them, also one of the very first mythic finished on the server. Personality Bonus Rank S+

4. Ajuri: Another phenomenal player but a bit of a snob XD. Personality Bonus Rank C-

5. Khiio: Dude was the absolute business, RIP (also he didn't want to be my friend!) Personality Bonus Rank SS+

6. Ashman: This guy was amazing but more than anything a ton of fun to pal around with, always had funny and interesting things to say, the ultimate decider and distributor of ffxiah plus and minus to comments of all time. He taught me a ton about DRK when I first started playing it, nothing but luv 4 this guy. Personality Bonus Rank SSS+ (breaks scale above 9000!)

7. Yathatguy: A really good dude and player but most interestingly of all, was the most fair-minded player/leader of a premiere ls of all time (Profit). He never put himself first like other ls leaders. and believed in fairness and balance always. Personality Bonus Rank S+

8. Afania: Great player who gets bonus points for living that 4ever Vanilla lifestyle! Personality Bonus Rank S+

9. Mibian: Best pal of all time, plays all jobs to the max, sings songs randomly in chat, and makes fun of his kids a true delight! Just don't ever ask him for an erase or a cure XD. Personality Bonus Rank SSS+

10. Mystogan: Always kinda doing his own thing but being hardcore while doing it, the most Dark Matter luck of all time. Personality Bonus Rank S+

11. Juki the Kabuki Jukiro: A great player, but also uses all the tools for all the things, a great player nonetheless. Personality Bonus Rank um.. High highs and low lows XD.

Top 11 seems like the best and most nostalgic ranking for this game. (Honorable Mentions Viking, Akkarinn, Hikarushi)
By K123 2024-07-14 16:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen Eijin do anything special, that isn't just a buff and heal bot army and playing a DD.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-07-14 16:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Using every tool in the book, along with an army of bots to show how someone can "solo" things normally took on by alliances does not warrant a top player to me.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-07-14 18:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Y'all mega hating on Ejinn. Dude got banned and returned to FFXI more times than Cannered Noz revives when you're farming his skull. That's legendary dedication to the game that needs to be honored.
[+]
By ryukin182 2024-07-14 21:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I won't lie, i'm surprised about the amount of hate ejinn gets. What's the reasoning? Multiboxing?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-14 21:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

ryukin182 said: »
I won't lie, i'm surprised about the amount of hate ejinn gets. What's the reasoning? Multiboxing?

Salt. Jealousy. He's doing what they wish they could, actually enjoying his play.

Just a regular dude that people are way to emotionally invested in.

And I'm sure this will get brought up so hi chat.
[+]
By Comickaze 2024-07-14 22:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ate from Shiva.

First Burtgang.

Iconic for standing on the stairs in Whitegate by the Mog House.

Amazing tank in 75 era.

Miss that guy
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-07-14 22:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Salt. Jealousy. He's doing what they wish they could, actually enjoying his play.

This is rich coming from you.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-14 22:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing how I don't play, not really. I used to, until I didn't. When I finally figured out I was just going through the motions because of obligation, I stopped doing it instead of digging my sunk cost deeper.

Now I make lemonade.
By darty 2024-07-14 22:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure how far back we are going, but Shiva also had Apoc and Nela (I remember Nela was a big deal in Japan - Did some sort of interview early on, brought a lot of attention to FFXI and Shiva).

So Nela from Shiva.
Also Aesis was really good.
Shala (sp?) (VD) was not.

Who was the person that cleared all jobs on Maat kinda early on? Afterwards, SE made the hat just for peeps that wanted to do same achievement.
By Draylo 2024-07-14 22:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

He is one of the only people who is/was streaming XI for a long time, I don't get the hate towards him either honestly.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2024-07-14 22:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

because he used bots and claimed he didn't. just be open about it
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 17 18 19