First Page 2 ... 17 18 19
 Asura.Vaynn
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: VleraPR
By Asura.Vaynn 2016-02-18 20:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Everyone!

After playing FFXI for quite sometime and never seeing an idea being done like this anywhere else i wanted to post this as an idea for the community to take part of. Multiple gaming communities out there have done something similar and i think the old heads of FFXI and new school peeps can have fun with this one.

The Concept
40 players from different servers and different Era's of FFXI get thrown on paper. Everything counts! from simple things such as gear to personal achievements ingame such as [Solo Expertise/Speedruning event's I.E. Dynamis or Nyzul Isle/Job Devotion/Ballista Expertise/Best Social Linkshell on server or even Best Endgame LS] EVERYTHING counts and gets added equally.

Diverse List
The Final List will be as diverse as possible. Meaning the entire list will have different players from different servers that go as far back as the beta days. Also different jobs from across the board I.E. Best Red Mage/Best Blu etc etc, everyone will have a specific reason why they deserve the specific spot.

Community Input
I want to see the FFXI community come together to really throw in some input as to who they think deserves a spot on the list and why. It can be a home server hero they remember or even a friend, it doesn't matter. However please leave any drama associated with a person aside, i would like to see fair debates being tossed around but anything extreme should be left out.

Digging In The Crates
I'm really digging in old FFXI blogs/Forums/Youtube Vids/Etc Etc to find any info about you. If you're on this list then chances are I've researched all i could about you. I've also been on 8 different servers now so chances are some of the names that are here I've either met you ingame or heard about you through friends on different servers.

How will this be showcased?
Either by video series or by twitter post's. I'm not exactly sure which one i'll do just yet however just incase of either, below is links to where the final showcase will happen

Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHI5SR8-mGCJnqIJNZR0jQA

Twitter Handle
https://twitter.com/Vlera_FFXI

Conclusion

FFXI Is a game most of us grew up with through the years. I really want to see the community come together on this project and have fun with the small debates. Any person you think would be good for the list or deserves a spot or even honorable mentions, please post the names here and any links to info i can view on this person.

Or if you want to send me a /tell ingame with any recommendations
Vaynn On Asura

Let's have fun everyone! Thank You!
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-02-18 20:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

First.

That means I'm #1, right?
[+]
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-02-18 20:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Second.

That means I'm the best loser, right?
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-02-18 20:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

People's definitions of best will vary, but seeing as its an MMORPG, I would lend extra weight to anyone who made us better - and by us, I mean ALL of us, which means:

- The Windower developers
- The people on BG (and elsewhere) who reverse engineer the laws of the universe (and document it!)
- The maintainers of the various wikis - some have seen better days than others, but we all benefit from this

You get the idea. How much worse are we, collectively, without those people?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-02-18 20:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always been a big fan and hugely inspired by Avesta the tarutaru.
[+]
 Asura.Caliman
user: Caliman
By Asura.Caliman 2016-02-18 20:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
Avesta the tarutaru
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-18 20:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The best is highly controversial.

Who is better the player that can solo everything no matter if it takes hours. Or a group of low-manners that can do in a tenth of the time. And who would be considered the best in said group? The DD player that one shots everything, or the mage that keeps him alive, or the mage that keeps everything sleeping or bound so they don't wipe? Or the leader that coordinates the entire objective?

The best has always been a group of people working together to accomplish a goal, and that group would fail without any one person. We could argue who the best people are to fill a certain slot in said group, but in my many years of playing this game once a group gets together as soon as one of those people leave the group for whatever reason, that group is never the same and rarely ever better than it was.

So the notion of certain people being the best is kinda moot.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-02-18 21:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Rukenshin
Kanican/Kaeco?
Aurik
Lordwafik
Failure
Stanislav
VZX/Vrytreya

Ondori was influential, probably not good

Me obv.
[+]
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-02-18 21:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Topic should be renamed to "most influential".
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-02-18 21:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

M-names:

Mougurijin - Magic damage formula
Motenten - Everything
Masamune - More tedious testing than you can shake a stick at
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-18 21:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Rukenshin
Kanican/Kaeco?
Aurik
Lordwafik
Failure
Stanislav
VZX/Vrytreya

Ondori was influential, probably not good

Me obv.

Which Stanislav..? Their was like 4 people that played that character last I knew....Never heard of the others.
[+]
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2016-02-18 21:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
People's definitions of best will vary, but seeing as its an MMORPG, I would lend extra weight to anyone who made us better - and by us, I mean ALL of us, which means:

- The people on BG (and elsewhere) who reverse engineer the laws of the universe (and document it!)
- The maintainers of the various wikis - some have seen better days than others, but we all benefit from this

Windower people I do not agree with. You aren't good if you are helpless after every update.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-02-18 21:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Elmer the Pointy?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-02-18 21:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if breaking ToS should count, but a lot of ppl are probably going to disagree with me since they use it.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-18 21:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Morier said: »

Windower people I do not agree with. You aren't good if you are helpless after every update.

Unlimited Macro lines is what made this game worth playing. Without them it is a social event with long ability timers.
[+]
 Asura.Reidden
user: Reiden
By Asura.Reidden 2016-02-18 21:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Morier said: »

That's just for gearswap, we still have script macros
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-02-18 21:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't think Windower, and the QoL improvements it brought, YEARS ahead of SE doing anything, wasn't a major part of the population staying as high as it did, as long as it did, then you are living in a fantasy world.

Whether you like it/agree with it or not, Windower and its developers have been insanely influential, and are absolutely part of the discussion for "things that made us all better at this".
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-02-18 22:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Deathknight of Phoenix - First confirmed relic weapon.
General of Phoenix - Hardest to understand.
By Titanfoo 2016-02-18 22:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Avesta
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-02-18 22:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Pikko?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Syto
Server: Leviathan
user: Sessho
By Leviathan.Syto 2016-02-18 22:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There has to be separate lists in separate categories like the Emmy Awards or Grammy's.. Etc. There are some people who achieved very powerful characters in such a short time during different eras that were considered much harder to achieve. So there will have to be a separation based on Era in years, (i.e. Tanaka's Era, post-Tanaka's aka Abyssea..etc) As well as a separation, in developers of third party programs and one for foundational code/principle developers. The names of individuals can repeat in every category if they were selected in every category by people/votes..etc.

Then with all this data you can create an all encomposing category that will take into consideration every category and see who is the greatest. There are some amazing developers that don't have as many REMs/Armor but they developed code and formulas that became the most prominent backbone of resource for the entire community. This is just a beginning thought you can expand on this or modify. Doing an all encomposing mix category would just one demean/discredit many players..

I love this idea though. I and many other veterans have been waiting for this to be created for a long time..
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-02-18 22:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
who was the first confirmed mythic and empy?
No idea, first Mythic I remember seeing on Phoenix was Sata's Ryunohige. Emps were always kinda easy so that's less notable.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-02-18 22:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Think the first completed mythic was Kirschy's Liberator?

edit: Nope, looks like it was Jackyl's Burtgang. Goddamn, that was nearly 8 years ago...

There were also some sightings of statless weapons (including two Tizonas, amusingly enough) shortly before Jackyl finished, but from what I can find that was the first weapon confirmed fully unlocked.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-02-18 22:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

who was the first confirmed mythic and empy?
No idea, first Mythic I remember seeing on Phoenix was Sata's Ryunohige. Emps were always kinda easy so that's less notable.
oh nvm then I thought you were pulling from a legit source on this, like scragg scrapping ffxi servers or something.
On Deathknight, I'm going on memory, I remember when it happened. The guy used to constantly farm Habetrot to repay the debt.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2016-02-18 22:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

avesta should be mentioned he was so good even SE made an in game item in his honor
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-02-18 22:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
The best is highly controversial.

Who is better the player that can solo everything no matter if it takes hours. Or a group of low-manners that can do in a tenth of the time. And who would be considered the best in said group? The DD player that one shots everything, or the mage that keeps him alive, or the mage that keeps everything sleeping or bound so they don't wipe? Or the leader that coordinates the entire objective?

The best has always been a group of people working together to accomplish a goal, and that group would fail without any one person. We could argue who the best people are to fill a certain slot in said group, but in my many years of playing this game once a group gets together as soon as one of those people leave the group for whatever reason, that group is never the same and rarely ever better than it was.

So the notion of certain people being the best is kinda moot.

It's OPs thread so it's not like I should interfere, but Id still offer some input. I just find the title a bit controversial since it's very, very subjective. You'll ended up having a huge list of players that's "top" in different area, it would be extremely hard to grade them to find top 40. Also vocal players who make video or post on forums will gain a lot more advantage, those who don't post nor make videos won't.

For example I have a list of best players in my mind, but all of them are extremely "unknown" and some of them are even JP. The reason why they are the best in my mind is because they are influencial to how I play the game or deal with party, and they do it better than everyone else that I've met. On the other hand, windower developers probably aren't benefiting console players nor casual players, it pretty much only benefits people who reads this website and uses it. The fact is that 70% of random players I met in game don't use it.

Also using the term "top players" kinda promote drama. For many years, "wanting to be top" has been the source of drama and cancer to community. Those who wants to be top or claim to be "top X of server" are often elitists that shits on other people in pt all the time. OP said to leave drama behind, but how can ppl be consider "top" if they always destroy pt morale and caused performance decrease.

Some ppl keep mention awesome solo videos, but then again how'd you define 1 play is better than others due to having solo videos. Some jobs are naturally better at solo with better tools. So those who plays rdm in 75 era or sch nowadays would ended up having better solo accomplishments than those play different jobs.

If changing the topic to "most influencial players in FFXI endgame community", it will be easier to define top 40, other wise it'll ended up a list of people that not everyone would agree with.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-02-18 22:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always imagined FFXI developers and the Windower team as two groups who are after the same goal. Both want the game to strive, but developers are limited by business budgets. They could be the most passionate people in the world, but without the OK from up above they can't push just anything through.

In comes the Windower team. They are the rebellions, players and developers in their own right towards the windower project who care deeply about XI and the player base. The FFXI developers could shut them down in an instant without question, squash them like bugs, but they show restraint. To the public they show no relations between them, deny any affiliation and will tell players to stay away, because of the ToS set in place to keep the players and SE safe. However deep down they know, they need them.

They need each other to keep this alive. One could not do what they are without the other, but they will never stand side by side. In a dark alleyway if both of them were to cross paths, they couldn't speak to each other, but they would lock glances, and for a second you could see the appreciation the XI developer has in his eyes. while he slowly turns his head away, and nods silently as he walks away.

.-.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 17 18 19