FFVII Remake... It's Official! (Discussion)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 23 24 25
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 19:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe they can remaster ff9 so its actually good. lol yes, im one of those people who didnt like 9, found it forgettable compared to the other titles in the ff universe.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-12-05 19:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Might still be ATB timer. The Red/White Bar.

Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-12-05 19:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Asura.Failaras said: »
Quote:
Most of the modern successful turn-based games are for portable systems (DS/3DS), which generally have a different set of expectations from the consoles.
Two of those series I mentioned, Persona and Atelier, released first on consoles like the PS2/3/4 and then rereleased on handhelds with a plus version. Persona 4 may best be known for its Golden version on Vita but it was a PS2 game well before that.

The fact we keep mentioning the highly successful turnbased games were launched on the PS2/3, means something.

All of my [+]s to the different expectations line from Kyte.
Probably something to do with the PS2/3 selling more units and having vastly more games. No one is saying that developers aren't moving away from turn based, we are mad they are. What I am saying is that turn based games are still a viable game type and aren't just an old style of game that was replaced by character action.
 Cerberus.Diavolo
Server: Cerberus
user: Diavolo
By Cerberus.Diavolo 2015-12-05 19:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I am geeking out right now. Absolutely adored the original game and while I was hoping for a remastered version this looks like it could be so much more. Character designs and environments are on point. Going to be great stepping out of Midgar for the first time again.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 19:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The bar was increasing every time cloud hit an enemy. Might be a Limit Break Bar instead.

That said, having a defend command is odd for an action RPG.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-05 19:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Novadragon said: »
Might still be ATB timer. The Red/White Bar.

Pretty sure that's LB
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 19:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought so too, but the bar to the right of the MP bar is the limit bar.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2015-12-05 19:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
The bar was increasing every time cloud hit an enemy. Might be a Limit Break Bar instead.

That said, having a defend command is odd for an action RPG.
Likely has a system similar to crisis core where the commands are just based on your materia.

Since it is action, it could be a bar for using summons as well, so as not to spam them. Sorta like how 15's system works.

The longer I look at it the more it seems to me to just be a fancier Crisis core system with maybe a few kingdom hearts aspects thrown in.
 Siren.Novadragon
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-12-05 19:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What I like to know is... Will Emerald/Ruby/Ultimate/Diamond Weapons be resized to their actual? Literally jumping on their large sized body to attack.

In the old FF7, they were resized to miniature sizes. Compared to the cutscenes, they're colossal.
[+]
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 19:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

after watching the video a couple times it defiantly went up in response to hitting people and stayed red while barret was hitting people. It just seems like a very fast build up for a limit break bar but it doesn't looks like a time bar either. Unless, limits will be changed too into something weaker that you can just spam every few hits.
 Siren.Clinpachii
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachii 2015-12-05 19:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What I like to know is... Will Emerald/Ruby/Ultimate/Diamond Weapons be resized to their actual? Literally jumping on their large sized body to attack.

In the old FF7, they were resized to miniature sizes, compared to the cutscene, they're colossal.

If they do this shadow of the colossus style, automatic win.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 19:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm starting to feel like it's just a very action-y turn based system. Select action and continue doing said action until that bar refills to be able to select a new one.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 19:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

In the old FF7, they were resized to miniature sizes. Compared to the cutscenes, they're colossal.

Makes me wonder. Although, it'll be one of those moments where "Excuse me while I summon my giant friggin' space dragon to blast you with a laser beam" might actually seem reasonable for once.
[+]
 Siren.Novadragon
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-12-05 19:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Makes me wonder. Although, it'll be one of those moments where "Excuse me while I summon my giant friggin' space dragon to blast you with a laser beam" might actually seem reasonable for once.

Yeah, Bahamut Zero. Imagine Neo Bahamut...

I'm also very curious for Safer Sephiroths Super Nova. Hitting multiple planets in the solar system and overloading the sun to go Super Nova.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-05 21:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-05 21:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with the people saying that having an old-school battle screen presentation won't suit these graphics. They can make the battle system like 13, which is like middle-ground to me.

13 battle system wasn't bad.

Don't kill me please.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-05 21:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd prefer 12 over 13 or at least removing the incredibly stupid "if your main character dies you get a game over"
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-05 21:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I'd prefer 12 over 13 or at least removing the incredibly stupid "if your main character dies you get a game over"
I would definitely prefer 12 too. For me, it was the most challenging (ergo rewarding) and strategic FF experience (barring FF tactics, haven't played that yet).
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-12-05 22:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
I agree with the people saying that having an old-school battle screen presentation won't suit these graphics. They can make the battle system like 13, which is like middle-ground to me.

13 battle system wasn't bad.

Don't kill me please.
While I don't see 13 as a true turn based game, I do feel like it was a strong middle ground between turn based and real time mechanics. Personally I very much enjoyed 13s battle system, however it had some serious problems such as RNG on how your characters moved and how they were targeted which lead to really annoying times when your entire PT would clump up and get juggled to death by ruingas.

It's hard to tell by this single video whether this game will have a real time battle system more apt to Final Fantasy, where you would use the menu shown to perform an attack or whether it would be closer to a spectacle fighter in which you freely move around and create abilities via button input combinations.

Basically in scenario A: You either lock on to or move up to a target, then select "Awesome attack X" from the menu and it preforms the attack for you.

Scenario B: You move up to the enemy and perform "Awesome attack X" by inputting a selection of buttons to create a combo in which you control the characters actions during the entire combo (direction, what type of attack, speed of attack, etc).
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-05 22:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to tell by this single video
This is exactly why I don't see a point to a heated debate over the nature of the battle system. Haven't we learned anything from FF13's 2006 video?

Yes, it's clear that it's not the same old' turn-based system of 1-10, but it might turn out to be some decent middle ground. Still too early to tell.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-12-05 23:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll pass on a garbage hack n slash. Turn based or ff12 style or gtfo.
[+]
 Cerberus.Cruxus
Server: Cerberus
user: Cruxus
By Cerberus.Cruxus 2015-12-05 23:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

While I think that things look great on the side of the complete overhaul of the opening mission, combat can't be determined unless you get to play it yourself (vids can run great but if it feels clunky it's crap). I'll hold my vote out until some hands on impressions, which I hope maybe with XV's release there will be a demo code that is good for a future demo of the remake. I was really hoping battle would be kinda like Eternal Sonata's to a certain extent, but again only time will tell...

Example of the battle system for those who don't know of Eternal Sonata:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2015-12-05 23:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Erics said: »
Maybe they can remaster ff9 so its actually good. lol yes, im one of those people who didnt like 9, found it forgettable compared to the other titles in the ff universe.
All of the yes. IX was my second FF game and to this day my favorite of the series. Everything about it was just great.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-12-06 00:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

While I don't see 13 as a true turn based game, I do feel like it was a strong middle ground between turn based and real time mechanics. Personally I very much enjoyed 13s battle system, however it had some serious problems such as RNG on how your characters moved and how they were targeted which lead to really annoying times when your entire PT would clump up and get juggled to death by ruingas.

Movement in combat for FFXIII wasn't really RNG but based on your paradigms. I used to remember having trouble with bosses doing certain conal and AoE attacks on me until I noticed how I could move characters where I wanted (though not indirectly) with paradigm switching. I could completely avoid many deadly attacks even on my underdeveloped characters, leaving only my tanks to soak up damage.

As for this remake, I'd rather reserve judgement until I at least see more in-depth gameplay or play it myself. Foolish people were screaming about how Street Fighter 4 before release was too easy and recently said the same of Street Fighter 5. All their claims were undone as soon as people like me got our hands on SF4 in the summer of 2008 and the recent betas for SF5. As the people who actually played FFXI despite its "not a real FF" argument, I feel like we should all know better.

I already see shades of the original game, Dissidia (and its RPG mode), Ehrgeiz, Crisis Core, FFXII, FFXIII and of course Versus XIII and FFXV. The teams working on this game are definitely bringing in experiences of the games they made since FFVII, which is what they promised.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-12-06 01:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a turn based person for life. If they release this new remake of FFVII for PC, I will definitely give it a try, but I'd prefer the turn based style that I grew up with. The whole argument against it based on current graphics is silly and equally as silly as turn based was due to hardware limitations. The different style of play to appeal to a wider audience and catering to the FPS meatheads argument makes more sense. Either way, PC port = I will try it out and reserve judgement after playing. I would find it a little hard to treat it like a new game, rather than comparing it to the original, but that would have to be the proper approach or I'd be setting myself up for disappointment.

I'm still disappointed it's not turn based, but it's not the end of the world.

However, as I said before, if SE is trying to completely steer away from the turn based style of battle, I think they should try to make a RTS version of a Final Fantasy title. I said VI before. It could be an interesting approach for a Final Fantasy VI remake.

As for IX, idk. When IX came out it was refreshing after VIII was so drastically different. But today, it would be nice to see a remake of IX with graphics that make the characters seem more grown up or more realistic. The theme seemed a tad bit childish. As for a change to that battle system, I would hope for turn based, but it seems like that method is being phased out by SE to appeal to a wider audience and/or being hijacked by the FPS meatheads. So... If they made IX like a Zelda game, I would give it a try. Hell, if they made it like Secret of the Mana I would give a try too. Not sure if RTS would work for this title though.

I stopped after XII for a bunch of reason, primarily though I stopped wasting money on consoles. PS2 was the last one I bought. I vaguely remember X-2, and XII I really didn't get into it that much. A PC release would be nice, seems like it should be a reality as they have many of the older ones and XIII on PC now. Don't get me started on the IV, V, and VI DS to PC ports though, those make me sad. Either port the PS versions with SNES graphics and cool cut scenes that were added, or make decent graphics, not bobble heads. (Damn I went there anyway, oh well.)

Currently I have no interest in trying XIII for the PC. Maybe if they do XII and I end up liking it, then I could continue with XIII.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-06 01:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having a really really hard time envisioning FF6 as an RTS
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2015-12-06 01:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The design in 9 was cartoony yes, but i can't for the life of me understand the people who hate on the game, i have to figure it is the very graphic style they choose is what turned a lot of people off to 9 since they went from the most graphically awesome game of its time, ff7, then improved on it with 8 suddenly going with a more throw back to older final fantasy's (least that's my opinion i mean every character had a set class very ff4/6 style)

But nine was not slacking in story, and honestly is heads above the convoluted mess that was ff8's story line of infinitely looping paradox's. (if you don't know what im talking about read a story line break down for 8, its really a steaming pile of time travel paradox's)

and in the long run when you find out the full story behind zidane its some what interesting.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-12-06 01:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cartoony, that's a better way to describe it. I just remember how refreshing it was after VIII in terms of the battle system. It was a fun game.

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I'm having a really really hard time envisioning FF6 as an RTS
Out of all them I see this one as the best choice, but it would take some effort and creativity.

Training Moogle units, Returner fighters. Use a hero system for the main characters. Empire would train their respective units. Have Kefka's army as a third faction with all kinds of demon units.

Train classes as units too. Fighters, Black Mages, Thieves, Corsairs and/or rangers, etc.

I'm trying to think how to incorporate Espers...

Resources would be to mine/collect would be gil or gold and wood. There would also be a 3rd resource to collect, related to magic/mana somehow. I'd have to refresh myself on the story line. Somehow use that resource to summon Esper units, but limit to only being able to have one of each out at a time. Having 14 Shiva units would be silly.
 Leviathan.Vienne
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-12-06 03:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally really dont care for a ffVII remake. The trend nowadays seems to be, the better the graphics the more the game sucks. I like my Aeris dying looking like she's been made out of cardboard boxes.
Lost my intrest for FF games at XIII.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 23 24 25