2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 43 44 45 ... 136 137 138
By soralin 2018-07-07 16:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phys-10 is better than DT-5, unless you expect Breath damage to be a serious problem (you shouldnt)

Capping MDT is easy with Shell, so you should already be hitting MDT cap with that and your usual DT gear.

For full Turtle though I just use Moonbeam cape, when turtled maximum HP to avoid being one shot is #1 priority, also more hp lowers how much CE you lose to hits.

For my mixed set I rock:

* Pdt-10
* DA+10
* Acc/Att+20
* Dex+30

This also doubles as an excellent Chant back.

For my second back I use:

HP+80, eva/meva+20, SIRD+10, Enmitty+10

This is my casting and voke cape mostly.
[+]
 Bahamut.Glizdus
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Gli2duS
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2018-07-08 09:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Sora
I was thinking about getting HP60 / EVA20 / MEVA30 / ENM10 / SIRD10 variant since don't think those 20HP more will make a big difference.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-07-08 12:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not a great idea.
By soralin 2018-07-08 18:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Glizdus said: »
Thanks Sora
I was thinking about getting HP60 / EVA20 / MEVA30 / ENM10 / SIRD10 variant since don't think those 20HP more will make a big difference.

That cape is just for casting spells and using abilities.

You dont need 10 MEVA when doing that, you want as much HP as possible to minimize HP loss when you cast a spell or use an ability.
By joltz18 2018-07-10 02:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so, my hubby is wanting to gear up pld for his next mastered job, but has no clue where to start. I've tried helping him out with finding guides with gear sets that have viable tiers (such as the PUP or COR guides) but no luck. Can anyone point us in the right direction?
 Sylph.Citrelautame
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-07-10 02:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Start w/ Ambu set, it does very well for a free set, after that it depends on the player but the abj +1 set is one of the cheapest and easiest to get. The hp causes some issues during gear swaps (i rarely switch outa the main set when tanking hard mobs) as for rings, Ambu works to start and moon/defending/dd mode, earrings HP boost or DD (most you prob have or can get from unity), neck/belt creeds, Shield JSE is a fantastic shield, aegis very powerful but situational, ochain is last priority here, swords are up to you really, anything works for starters as dealing damage isn't very important on pld.

I know it isn't to specific but just in ambu gear & jse shield + whatever randoms are in your inventory you can handle 90% of content and ambu D (you will not be able to hold hate over a REMA DD though) Hope that helps
 Bahamut.Newzarb
user: newzarb
By Bahamut.Newzarb 2018-07-10 07:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Citrelautame said: »
aegis very powerful but situational

Are you sure about that ? I mean I use it like 99% of the time.
[+]
 Sylph.Wasenshi
user: Senshi
By Sylph.Wasenshi 2018-07-10 09:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shield JSE is a fantastic shield, aegis very powerful but situational, ochain is last priority here

Honestly Aegis and Ochain are very easy to obtain with a little bit of time and really are the only 2 shields you will need
[+]
By Taint 2018-07-10 09:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis, 50% pdt/mdt and 3k HP and you can literally voke/flash tank everything outside of Master trials.
By zaxtiss 2018-07-10 09:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Aegis, 50% pdt/mdt and 3k HP and you can literally voke/flash tank everything outside of Master trials.
i thought the goal was to hit 4k hp!? :)
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-07-10 18:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't get me wrong Aegis is a beast and the difference of having it on when high teir magic is going verse not is incredible, but if you using aegis 99% of the time, your making your job harder and your healers job harder, and/or your a pld who doesn't have a cure macro, doesn't keep phalanx up, etc. I also prefer to /run when using aegis for aquaveil unless my alt is the whm (I want more whm/sch's to AoE Aquaveil <.<)

Aegis just doesn't compare to mobs that are mainly physical attacks, it's hard to see on plds due to massive hp and capped -dt on everything. One of the biggest reason I almost never equip my aegis unless its a high magic damage fight is spell interruption, even w/ reprisal aegis gets spell interrupted constantly without a solid SIR set, JSE or Ochain are pretty much 100% SIR w/ reprisal up and can full time the spell in most party situations.

None of the 3 shields are very hard to get but JSE is by far the most powerful thing a new pld can add to their sets for ~2.5mil and no effort. I personally won't finish my Ochain unless it gets some super nice Empy Augments in the long run (please SE don't make augments only for ilv 119 III REMA's <.< my brd and pld will cry) its advantages over JSE just aren't noticeable enough from what i've heard (can't test of course becuase i stopped farming mats when JSE came out hah)
By kestiel 2018-07-10 20:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't get me wrong Aegis is a beast and the difference of having it on when high teir magic is going verse not is incredible, but if you using aegis 99% of the time, your making your job harder and your healers job harder, and/or your a pld who doesn't have a cure macro, doesn't keep phalanx up, etc. I also prefer to /run when using aegis for aquaveil unless my alt is the whm (I want more whm/sch's to AoE Aquaveil <.<)

Aegis just doesn't compare to mobs that are mainly physical attacks, it's hard to see on plds due to massive hp and capped -dt on everything. One of the biggest reason I almost never equip my aegis unless its a high magic damage fight is spell interruption, even w/ reprisal aegis gets spell interrupted constantly without a solid SIR set, JSE or Ochain are pretty much 100% SIR w/ reprisal up and can full time the spell in most party situations.

None of the 3 shields are very hard to get but JSE is by far the most powerful thing a new pld can add to their sets for ~2.5mil and no effort. I personally won't finish my Ochain unless it gets some super nice Empy Augments in the long run (please SE don't make augments only for ilv 119 III REMA's <.< my brd and pld will cry) its advantages over JSE just aren't noticeable enough from what i've heard (can't test of course becuase i stopped farming mats when JSE came out hah)

Do you not use a SIRD set in your casting macros?

Edit: Also, the testing I've seen (Martel's got some really good tests) shows Ochain pulling ahead of Priwen in most cases on any decently high CL content. I think 121+? I'll look it up and find it if I can.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-07-10 22:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya its 131+ if I remember right it is a better shield, just not convinced worth the effort as of yet. I have an SIRD set but I only use it if using aegis and not capped haste situations. I try to limit my gears swaps to limit the amount of hp drop during tank mode (not insanely noticeable for SIRD but a general statement), just a big perk over aegis, Honestly I just get alil fried on peeps saying Aegis or GTFO when it falls behind the other 2 shields in a large amount of content, SIRD is just one of the most immediately noticeable ways to see it.
 Bahamut.Newzarb
user: newzarb
By Bahamut.Newzarb 2018-07-11 03:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the time I feel the greatest danger we encounter comes from spells. I mean for Omen trash mobs ok, I'll use Ochain, but for the rest (by that I mean Omen bosses, Dynamis D, Escha/Reisenjima NMs, VD ambuscade) I prefer Aegis.

Hell even for Black and White I went with Aegis. But maybe it's a matter of play style.
By Davorin 2018-07-11 05:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya its 131+ if I remember right it is a better shield, just not convinced worth the effort as of yet.

I think you're overestimating the commitment it would take to make a level 90 Ochain; it's really not much to make these days.
By soralin 2018-07-11 16:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Davorin said: »
Ya its 131+ if I remember right it is a better shield, just not convinced worth the effort as of yet.

I think you're overestimating the commitment it would take to make a level 90 Ochain; it's really not much to make these days.

Can confirm, it took me about a week tops, solo as a pld wearing just SR/Skirmish Gear running around /thf

Exceptionally easy to do.
 Bahamut.Glizdus
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2018-07-13 01:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys I need your advice.
My enmity set has 123 pts with Crusade up and I am constantly loosing hate against heavy damage dealers.
I am using all my JAs in rotation, healing like mad and still having a hard time getting it back ...
It's so frustrating.
SE buffing DD jobs with new REMA constantly forgetting about fixing hate holding.

ItemSet 359990

I know, that ammo /neck / ear / body / hands can be upgraded with few more points, but is it worth the effort?
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-07-13 02:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

There becomes a point in fights where DD's and the PLD are capped on enmity, there isn't much you can do honestly, its going to face whoever did an action last, usually this is the DD as it swings its weapons faster than us pld's do, your best bet is keep cure cheat ready and as soon as DD's hps drop hit him w/ a low teir cure, you can spam c1/c2 for this and it'll usually keep it facing you.

Having gear that decrease enmity lost when taking damage helps quite a bit at keeping the pld capped, with one of those pieces on the mob will usually only hit the DD once and then turn back to the pld until the DD ws's again, still a bounce action but it lessens it at least, Creed collar is very easy to get and you really dont lose much in that neck area keeping it on.

Also agree on the set up for enmity, its better than it use to be, but I wish they would increase enmity cap for "tank" jobs or decrease it for the others
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2018-07-13 19:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you cared enough about Burtgang, you should care enough about maximizing your enmity. Loess Barbuta +1, Yorium augmented, Eschite Greaves augmented, Trux/Cryptic/Pluto's, Souveran Cuirass +1
 Bahamut.Glizdus
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2018-07-15 15:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't Enmity capping at 100 pts?
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-07-15 15:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Glizdus said: »
Isn't Enmity capping at 100 pts?
They updated that a few years ago. Enmity+ from gear caps at +200 now.

EDIT: Thought I'd throw some references in here.
Here's the update where the enmity gear cap was changed.

Aug 12, 2014 (JST) Version Update
SE said:
The maximum value of the equipment attribute “Enmity+” has been increased.

But since they didn't tell us what the new cap was, it had to be tested. And was. By me. lol

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/108199-Random-Facts-Thread-Other?p=6408806&viewfull=1#post6408806

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-15 15:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angierus said: »
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
If you cared enough about Burtgang, you should care enough about maximizing your enmity. Loess Barbuta +1, Yorium augmented, Eschite Greaves augmented, Trux/Cryptic/Pluto's, Souveran Cuirass +1

Imagine getting a 200mil weapon and then not purchasing the 4mil -1 cursed item.

lol. this happens all day every day. it's not some rare occurrence.
 Bahamut.Glizdus
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2018-07-15 23:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angierus said: »
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »

Imagine getting a 200mil weapon and then not purchasing the 4mil -1 cursed item.

I see it's very easy to judge but as a matter of fact I have upgraded 3 of my 4 NQ Souveran pieces JUST after I finished Burtgang and I am planning to do so with the hands but having a hard time getting ppl to help me kill Ruea.

Thank You Martel for the info.
I'll continue to work on maximizing my enmity set.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-07-16 01:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruea being a hard thing that requires assistance is even more wild
 Bahamut.Glizdus
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2018-07-16 03:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I know, that's why I'm stuck on it.
Got the HQ cursed ready to use, but missing abj.
The rest of abj I was able to farm solo/duo.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-07-16 03:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone should make an add on that can track total enmity in the party, doesn't even need to break down CE/VE would be nice to see as a pld for when you do lose hate to see if its a capped situation or if the pld's isn't hitting/keeping capped TE. Would also be handy for those DD's who want to be nice and turn or hold ws's during long fights for a min till tank has hate again (especially on fights like Kin or when the tank gets smashed for some reason)
 Bahamut.Glizdus
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2018-07-16 05:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's possible in FF 11.
That would be great, but all the calculations are not official so you really don't know if they are correct.
But some kind of enmity addon/plugin like Omen for WoW would for sure be useful.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-16 05:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only ever seen a few minutes at most of WoW gameplay, but that "threat meter" thing they have, would be incredibly helpful.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-07-16 06:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Ruea being a hard thing that requires assistance is even more wild

Not gonna lie, this thing has been known to show it’s *** when solo/duo lol. On BLU there are rare occasions where it’ll insta-shield and pick the most obscure weakness it can find and then reset it the INSTANT you break it. Also, trust damage seems to always be too fail to be helpful when this happens. Not usually a problem but it *CAN* be a pain sometimes lol
First Page 2 3 ... 43 44 45 ... 136 137 138